• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Style

Banned
ld33zA7.png

It's that time of the week! Who's excited?!

Big One

Banned
First off, I don't care whatsoever what's canon and what isn't. I'm talking about the concepts. Second, I'm not talking about if being ganged up on, but how. Of course Goku got attacked my multiple threats. But Goku is being ganged up on in those gifs and I think it looks good because he's dodging everything. I would have appreciated if they did something similar to that where jobbers attack Goku and he dodges everything. For example, that brief moment where Cabba was attacked and he ringed the attackers out immediately. I simply enjoy seeing Shit like this:

4174080-1604851550-GokuP.gif

Or this if you're so concerned about what's canon

tumblr_o3bywdj8TO1ufw8o4o1_500.gif
You're still missing the point I'm making here. There's a a distinct difference in how Dragon Ball is made today than in the 90's that isn't going to get replicated with how things are currently going.

Dragon Ball Z -

• Adaptation of a weekly manga.
  • With it being an adaptation, TOEI has a reference to how things should be animated already with Toriyama's amazing paneling.
  • Because the manga is weekly, a lot of filler has to be added to pad things out (also during that era, Toriyama took breaks as well).
  • Dragon Ball began blossoming some of it's popularity in the various movies that came out every year as promotional material.
  • These movies also raised the popularity of the franchise as well with characters like Broly and Cooler blowing up in popularity and creating all sorts of merchandise for years to come.
Dragon Ball Super -

• Adaptation of story notes with a beginning, middle, and end written by Toriyama.
  • No reference for how things should be animated other than Toriyama creating character designs.
  • Because they have a story outline, little to no padding exists. They still add in filler to give things time to breath, but for the most part Super is at a consistently fast pace.
  • Dragon Ball is so popular that it doesn't need an extra push to get things going. Dragon Ball doesn't need to use things like movies to create new characters with the video games having their own separate lore that continues to evolve as well as Super evolving the franchise in it's own way as well.
  • Because Dragon Ball is as popular as it is, TOEI feels like they can treat it like One Piece and have some dips in quality here-and-there. This creates an inconsistent show in terms of animation and direction, which makes things worse because One Piece's direction is dictated by the manga and is mostly faithful to it, while Super doesn't really have that benefit.
Whether you like this or not I have no qualms with by any means, but what I'm saying is that you can't really expect Dragon Ball Super to be "how it was" back in the day when "how it was" doesn't exist anymore for Super to benefit from.

Super by and large should be judged by the quality standards of modern anime in general, since that's the stratosphere it exists in above all else. And yes, I'm aware it compares unfavorably before anyone points that out.
________

Also, to respond to your second gif...that isn't really canon either. Canon fight, yes. But that's just TOEI's interpretation of it. That was a TOEi that had something to prove.

caliph95

I think the biggest issue is Goku being shoved in everywhere, Goku and Vegeta should not have been in half these fights. Krillin, 18, and 17 vs. U9 would have been far better than Goku and Vegeta vs. them.

Same for Roshi and Tien vs. the pride troopers. They're closer in power scale.
Even then you had 17 and 18 blowing through named fighters from 2 and 11 while cool add' s credence to "the no tension crowd"

RedAssedApe

Banned
You're still missing the point I'm making here. There's a a distinct difference in how Dragon Ball is made today than in the 90's that isn't going to get replicated with how things are currently going.

Dragon Ball Z -

• Adaptation of a weekly manga.
  • With it being an adaptation, TOEI has a reference to how things should be animated already with Toriyama's amazing paneling.
  • Because the manga is weekly, a lot of filler has to be added to pad things out (also during that era, Toriyama took breaks as well).
  • Dragon Ball began blossoming some of it's popularity in the various movies that came out every year as promotional material.
  • These movies also raised the popularity of the franchise as well with characters like Broly and Cooler blowing up in popularity and creating all sorts of merchandise for years to come.
Dragon Ball Super -

• Adaptation of story notes with a beginning, middle, and end written by Toriyama.
  • No reference for how things should be animated other than Toriyama creating character designs.
  • Because they have a story outline, little to no padding exists. They still add in filler to give things time to breath, but for the most part Super is at a consistently fast pace.
  • Dragon Ball is so popular that it doesn't need an extra push to get things going. Dragon Ball doesn't need to use things like movies to create new characters with the video games having their own separate lore that continues to evolve as well as Super evolving the franchise in it's own way as well.
  • Because Dragon Ball is as popular as it is, TOEI feels like they can treat it like One Piece and have some dips in quality here-and-there. This creates an inconsistent show in terms of animation and direction, which makes things worse because One Piece's direction is dictated by the manga and is mostly faithful to it, while Super doesn't really have that benefit.
Whether you like this or not I have no qualms with by any means, but what I'm saying is that you can't really expect Dragon Ball Super to be "how it was" back in the day when "how it was" doesn't exist anymore for Super to benefit from.

Super by and large should be judged by the quality standards of modern anime in general, since that's the stratosphere it exists in above all else. And yes, I'm aware it compares unfavorably before anyone points that out.
________

Also, to respond to your second gif...that isn't really canon either. Canon fight, yes. But that's just TOEI's interpretation of it. That was a TOEi that had something to prove.

you're going way too deep with this. dude just wants a different style of fight lol

RCU005

Just came in the mail.
6LhkQ7Wh.jpg

A tiny part of the cover for the Bluray got chipped off =(

The cover of the Blu Ray is amazing!

I want to buy the manga in Japanese to force myself to learn it, since I am already studying it. It's good that the cover of the manga has the art like the old ones.

Big One

Banned
you're going way too deep with this. dude just wants a different style of fight lol
I'm not specifically replying to his latest posts, I'm replying to his constant postings here asking why Super can't be as "great" as Z, so I figured I'd lay things out to make it clear why it wont' ever be like Z.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Some of Super's best episodes are their filler. I mean, there will definitely be rereleases, but I doubt it'll be a whole new dub with more significant cuts.

He means that they first released Kai in 13 episode chunks at first then later on released them in 26 episode chunks called seaons

Anth0ny

Vegetto is the best looking SSB, but I just noticed that I really love the red/blue color scheme of Kaioken SSB Goku:

The way the Kaioken makes his gi look more red/pink works way better with the blue hair than his regular orange gi imo. Compare for yourself.

Arched, does the Japanese Blu Ray have English subs? I know it's region free.

I bought the English Bluray.
But no, the Japanese releases are completely in Japanese.
I'm kinda disappointed by the English release though, the Japanese ones come with little booklets with some character designs and storyboards and stuff, the English release is just the discs.

Skeeter49

Can you make me one of this Gohan?

Taking Caulifla over 18? Disgusting.
OFEys9S.png
I like them both :(
Also I like 18 in the tracksuit better :( When I find a good one of that 18 then I'll switch. :

If I wasn't a regular in the toonami thread would already have a Caulifla avatar

Toonami thread goes too fast for me to really care to be honest.
That and I'd rather pay attention to what I'm watching then post, because then I'll just miss stuff and get confused.

I bought the English Bluray.
But no, the Japanese releases are completely in Japanese.
I'm kinda disappointed by the English release though, the Japanese ones come with little booklets with some character designs and storyboards and stuff, the English release is just the discs.

Do they have the Japanese dub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom