• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

When all the stupid Ningen want to let your opponents power up

gXxeGdp.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The Helles cuts were the only thing I didn't like in the episode. The shots with her were reused over 5 times total.

Skeeter49

I feel like there should have been an arc between the Zamasu arc and this, that involved every universe, or at least the 8 competing.

The Helles cuts were the only thing I didn't like in the episode. The shots with her were reused over 5 times total.

I don't like how they treated one of the magical girls like a joke by base form Goku acting like she's nothing. Vegeta powered up to fight Ribrianne, 17 had to take the fight seriously to fight the hunter magical girl. Goku had an amused look for 3 seconds.
Goku ruins everything :(

Watching Super and waiting for Dragon Ball FighterZ, I've gotten the urge to finally read the Dragon Ball Z manga. Which english edition of the manga is the best? They had the Vizbig one at the bookstore and it looked nice, but I didn't buy it yet because I wasn't sure if there might be better editions out there?

LordOfChaos

I feel like there should have been an arc between the Zamasu arc and this, that involved every universe, or at least the 8 competing.

Yeah, 8 universes x 10 fighters, plus all the GoDs, angels, Kais...It's so many characters all at once that a lot of interesting ones are just going to be fodder, without proper introductions.

Skeeter49

I've been saying this forever. I didnt want this arc to come around for at least like 2 or 3 more arcs.
I wanted it after EoZ, I thought that would have tied in nicely with the Martial Arts tournament where Goku scouts for Uub, wanting Uub for the Universal tournament.

Right. We discussed this before but I will always feel they messed up in this regard.
My prelim idea would have to be have an exhibition match with all 8 universes, maybe 4 fighters each instead of 3. That way Champa can introduced the 3 saiyans, none of them having SSJ, maybe have Kale show signs of Berserk with her power increasing when she gets angry. Maybe a Namekian as well, or Hit. They all learn they're not ready for this, and Zeno gives them several years to form teams.

Gonna need you for next week, son.
lOT8l
Fight you, no I'm going to erase you.

17 has been one of my favorite characters since this arc started. Love most of the new characters, even though I wish they spent a little more time on these battles instead of wrapping things up in an episode.

Skii

The next episode looks great for us tbh.

I can't lie, Gohan focused episodes is what's keeping me coming back every week. I'm so hyped for them. This arc has been so good to us in that regard. The 5th Gohan focused episode since the end of Trunks' arc?

Yup. Any sympathy we can have for other universes is restricted to U6 and Gowasu since they were involved in previous arcs. That's it.

Even a focus on just a twin set of universes for an arc would've been enough that we'd be emotionally invested. It's not like our universe is going to get erased.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I can't lie, Gohan focused episodes is what's keeping me coming back every week. I'm so hyped for them. This arc has been so good to us in that regard. The 5th Gohan focused episode since the end of Trunks' arc?

Yup. Any sympathy we can have for other universes is restricted to U6 and Gowasu since they were involved in previous arcs. That's it.

Even a focus on just a twin set of universes for an arc would've been enough that we'd be emotionally invested. It's not like our universe is going to get erased.

If we're keeping strictly to episodes where he had a heavy focus.... 73, 74, 80, 88, 90.

Honestly the Zamasu arc should have come after the tournament. Imagine how much more Zamasu would have hated Goku if Universe 10 was erased and wished back using the Super Dragon Balls. His temporary erasure would have been a slightly more believable motivation for hating Goku.

kuYuri

So those Youtube thumbnails consists of bad fanart and bad photoshop? lol

Watching Super and waiting for Dragon Ball FighterZ, I've gotten the urge to finally read the Dragon Ball Z manga. Which english edition of the manga is the best? They had the Vizbig one at the bookstore and it looked nice, but I didn't buy it yet because I wasn't sure if there might be better editions out there?

I've heard the Viz Big versions are actually pretty quality releases in terms of actual paper used and stuff. Not a bad way to get into the series. Some of the name changes are super questionable, especially starting with Buu saga (Pui Pui becomes Pocus, along with some others).

Same, I can't believe I was into those two Saiyaman movie episodes. I always hated that persona. But then of course he lost all that good will with me when he fought Goku as Saiyaman in the very next episode.

Then we got to see Gohan beat Tien like he owed him money.

giphy.gif

Skeeter49

Just finished Resurrection of F movie. I can start from episode 28 now?

Yep, 28 leads right into the new arc.
Only things I'd say are worth noting from the RoF arc instead of the movie are
Krillin has a fear of fighting Frieza's men in the RoF arc.
Ginyu is back in the RoF arc and takes Tagoma's body.
Gohan is tortured pretty badly by Frieza, Piccolo sacrifices himself to save Gohan, dying, and Frieza threatens Gohan's family. Because of this Gohan wants Piccolo to train him, making him stronger..

Same, I can't believe I was into those two Saiyaman movie episodes. I always hated that persona. But then of course he lost all that good will with me when he fought Goku as Saiyaman in the very next episode.

giphy.gif
Tien's third eye is not amused.

caliph95

Just finished Resurrection of F movie. I can start from episode 28 now?
All I think you need to know that they retconef beers power in the anime that he was lying and is beyond stronger than he claimed in order for Goku to have something to aim for long term (whiskey is still stronger )
Also this
Gohan is tortured pretty badly by Frieza, Piccolo sacrifices himself to save Gohan, dying, and Frieza threatens Gohan's family. Because of this Gohan wants Piccolo to train him, making him stronger..

All I think you need to know that they retconef beers power in the anime that he was lying and is beyond stronger than he claimed in order for Goku to have something to aim for long term (whiskey is still stronger )
Also this

Tien's third eye is not amused.

Whoa there are quite a few changes. I will skim through Freeza arc.

They're right.

Pretty much hit the ground running as a sequel, cut out all filler and unnecessary side characters. Pilaf and co were actually funny and didn't overstay their welcome for once. It gave me everyone I cared about and actually let them fight this time. It was the most I ever enjoyed Frieza as a character (standout vocal performance in the English dub). The humor throughout was much more clever and bantery rather than having the characters embarrass themselves (no Saiyaman appearances). Beerus and Whis' love of food was funny this time because it was juxtaposed to a rather serious fight, but it was that much funnier because they barely cared.

Feelings are still mixed on the ending (though I found it hilarious that Goku and Vegeta didn't learn anything from that ordeal), the CGI shots were poor, but to me that was much better story and fun adventure.

Battles of Gods works as a reintroduction, but it wasn't all that interesting until the fight. Resserection F actually showed me everything I liked about Z.

^Where's the lie??

dci260

Gohan is tortured pretty badly by Frieza, Piccolo sacrifices himself to save Gohan, dying, and Frieza threatens Gohan's family.
Lalala, this didn't happen.
It was a dark time for Gohan fans :'(

Not worth it.
I concur, that arc in Super was a dumpster fire. Story and power level shenanigans aside, at least the movie moved at a fast enough pace to be enjoyable for the action alone.

giphy.gif
I still want to know what Tien did to Gohan, did he tri beam Icarus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom