• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

images

Somewhere, Gowasu is in heaven drinking tea 🍵
latest

like even if Zeno didn't use this tournament to blow up universes id still call Goku a reckless asshole for going near him despite the very clear and direct warnings that Zeno is an unpredictable psycho. At the end of the day he's selfish and puts his own desires above any consequences, and that's fine, that's Goku, a reckless asshole.

like even if Zeno didn't use this tournament to blow up universes id still call Goku a reckless asshole for going near him despite the very clear and direct warnings that Zeno is an unpredictable psycho. At the end of the day he's selfish and puts his own desires above any consequences, and that's fine, that's Goku, a reckless asshole.

This is basically ne, and for the 10th time I LIKE this about his character. I'm not saying he deserves to be called out because I'm against his character.

do you guys think goku and 17 are saying that the fighting style was worth studying in like a condescending way

because i like the idea of that lol

HeroR

They don't have to "know" to raise their mortal level. They just have to do your job.

Especially looking at a universe like 10, which seems like it would only be improving and have good opportunity to rise passed the threshold.

I still think there's value to 1000 years of life. You apparently don't, but I do. I'm not a "we're all gonna die someday so it doesn't matter" type of guy. So you have to realize there are different valid ways to look at the situation and your's isn't the end all be all. I definitely think Goku deserves crap for his actions.

Also, what I'm saying is people who are living won't get to enjoy the rest of their conscious lives because of Goku. Being reincarnated would be the same as being erased to many of these people, because their consciousness is going either way. They have a right to be mad at Goku that it is being cut short.

Honest question, do you see the gods of U4, U6, U7, U9, and U10 doing their jobs in thousand years?

There is no value because you're erased. Everything you done, the legacy you leave behinds, means nothing. Eraser means, you disappear, period. And you personal belief doesn't really matter since Dragon Ball has an afterlife so death is just a new beginning while eraser is nothingness.

Again, death and even reincarnated isn't the same as being erased Dragon Ball.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Well it is problem since his desedents would be nuked for his universe. The point is, any number of things could have changed in those 1000 years. Maybe Xeno decided not to. Now there's no time.

Not if Xeno changed shit along the way. Dude is flippant. Not for sure, but Goku eliminated the possibility by setting this up.

Except that we have reason to believe that the Grand Priest would've acted in some way from the way he's acted this entire arc. While Zeno may not have erased anything for a large amount of time it very likely could be that doing things "now" is the best time and best odds for their entire survival due 1) that there are warriors in this time period of 'now' that can fight and give their Universe a chance to survive and 2) Goku acting and setting this up and not just giving the chance to survive but due to his actions a very good possibiltiy that by the end they all get to live somehow.

The fact that Goku gave this opening for the Grand Priest may have been the GP's mistake that undoes whatever he is planning, assuming he's the 'true villain' of this arc.

HeroR

Which is ironic since that he could have changed Zen'o's mind if he chose not to listen to Whis and Beerus again.

So I wouldn't call him an asshole.

wait this yamcha manga is over now? only 3 chapters? that's kind of upsetting

Lmao i like that this all a game by beerus and champa though

Laiza

I don't see how fodder staying around longer build tension. It's the opposite for me since if fodder is still hanging in there, someone isn't doing their job.

Tension is also overrated since I never doubt that the heroes won't win in a Shonen or come out alive. So I never felt dread in any arc of Dragon Ball or Z. Saiyan Saga, everyone is being killed and I felt nothing from it because I know the genre I'm watching even as a kid. So unless the show pulls a Future Trunks Saga, I'm not pulled in on the whole, "oh no, the good guys can't win". What interest me is 'how' the good guys win, not if. And don't get me started on the Cell Saga and it's false tension.

Bad writing is something you can objectify, not a personal opinion. You can despise something that is well-writing, just as you can love something that's writing by a five years old. So you can hate Super's writing all you want, it isn't bad writing for Super to do exactly what it said it was going to do.

And as I said, I don't care about your personal feelings. You can call my taste crap all you want. I told you why things happened the way it did and even agreed U10 could've team up more, although you were factually wrong about U10 never teaming up. Other than that, your opinion is whatever to me.
This is just a really bizarre take to have.

Bad writing is not just a poorly justified confluence of events or characters being out-of-character. Bad writing can also literally just be "it's boring to read or watch". Yes, that is obviously a subjective measure on at least some level... but in the grand scheme of things the works that are well-written can also usually be qualified by how certain elements come together. I don't think the things that need to be happening are happening in DBS, so I call it "bad writing". Simple as that.

And while we're at it, let's not call them "fodder" when they could very easily have been written not to be fodder. It may be impossible for you to imagine a battle royale in which most of the combatants are at least contenders, but I think that would have been far more interesting than the way things are going now. And even if you think the cast is too damn large (frankly, 80 fighters really is too damn large), they should have gotten all of this out of the way in three episodes at most instead of wasting our time with so much banal crap.

These are some really basic fundamental semantics, though. If we can't agree on this then there is no point in continuing the conversation.

Trey

On a universal scale, it makes no difference. If our universe was erased today, my life would be cut short. If our universe was erased in a thousand years, I'd already be dead and someone else's life would be cut short instead of mine.

that's a pretty big difference.

Honest question, do you see the gods of U4, U6, U7, U9, and U10 doing their jobs in thousand years?

There is no value because you're erased. Everything you done, the legacy you leave behinds, means nothing. Eraser means, you disappear, period. And you personal belief doesn't really matter since Dragon Ball has an afterlife so death is just a new beginning while eraser is nothingness.

Again. Death and even reincarnated isn't the same as being erased Dragon Ball.

10 is already doing their job I think. Not that we know for sure but I think they'd be a good contender.

Really, you're going to try to argue with me that life means nothing because we're all gonna die? Your ambition has no bounds. I think there's value in people enjoying 1000 years of life in the moment, regardless of what happens in the end. The other thought process is an ABHORRENT one to live by, for me. And when you get reincarnated, that is like you're "going". Your consciouness doesn't carry over. From the perspective of an individual person, they end when they get reincarnated.

So that being cut short due to Goku, people justifiably give him crap for that. Your viewpoint isn't the end all be all, so stop acting like it is, Android 17.

And even if you want to say reincarnation is not the same in ways that makes a difference to people's existential mentality, there's still reason to be mad that peoples time of not being erased has been cut down by 1000+ years.

I think Ribriane and Rosie might have lovers on their team, similar to Vikal to Kakunsa. They will resurface, and fight with them, thats the reason they weren't knocked out here.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Grabbed some shots from the episode I enjoyed:

And of course this scene, while silent, was well done both for Gohan's character and the gravity of the situation. Really curious where they'll take him from here on out. A friend suggested he might have some moment of righteous anger, and then there's that imagery of him teaming up with Goku in the ending... Either way, it's nice that Gohan is positioned into the serious, but also empathetic hero type of character this arc.

HeroR

This is just a really bizarre take to have.

Bad writing is not just a poorly justified confluence of events or characters being out-of-character. Bad writing can also literally just be "it's boring to read or watch". Yes, that is obviously a subjective measure on at least some level... but in the grand scheme of things the works that are well-written can also usually be qualified by how certain elements come together. I don't think the things that need to be happening are happening in DBS, so I call it "bad writing". Simple as that.

And while we're at it, let's not call them "fodder" when they could very easily have been written not to be fodder. It may be impossible for you to imagine a battle royale in which most of the combatants are at least contenders, but I think that would have been far more interesting than the way things are going now. And even if you think the cast is too damn large (frankly, 80 fighters really is too damn large), they should have gotten all of this out of the way in three episodes at most instead of wasting our time with so much banal crap.

These are some really basic fundamental semantics, though. If we can't agree on this then there is no point in continuing the conversation.

Something that was set up for months isn't poorly justified. Poorly justfy would be everyone randomly letting go of their grudge against U7.

As I said, you not liking something isn't bad writing. That's you not liking something. And 'boring' is subjective. I find HxH boring. So by you logic, HxH is a badly written.

They're fodder because that's what they are and if all of them were on par with Goku and Vegeta, most of U7 would be pointless fodder. And for the most part, the less interesting fodder got booted, while the fodder with interesting abilities stick around longer.

Pretty much.

10 is already doing their job I think. Not that we know for sure but I think they'd be a good contender.

Really, you're going to try to argue with me that life means nothing because we're all gonna die? Your ambition has no bounds. I think there's value in people enjoying 1000 years of life in the moment, regardless of what happens in the end. The other thought process is an ABHORRENT one to live by, for me. And when you get reincarnated, that is like you're "going". Your consciouness doesn't carry over. From the perspective of an individual person, they end when they get reincarnated.

So that being cut short due to Goku, people justifiably give him crap for that. Your viewpoint isn't the end all be all, so stop acting like it is, Android 17.

And even if you want to say reincarnation is not the same in ways that makes a difference to people's existential mentality, there's still reason to be mad that peoples time of not being erased has been cut down by 1000+ years.

Gowasu was, but the U10 God of Destruction is lazier than Beerus according to Toei's site and I don't see him changing in a 1000 years.

In the context of Dragon Ball, not talking whatever your belief is, death is just another journey. Erasing isn't. Not sure why this is hard to follow.

Now I'm Android 17. Funny since unlike you I haven't told you a thing about my belief, which isn't even important when talking about a cartoon with a very clear set on how life and death works.

And of course this scene, while silent, was well done both for Gohan's character and the gravity of the situation. Really curious where they'll take him from here on out. A friend suggested he might have some moment of righteous anger, and then there's that imagery of him teaming up with Goku in the ending... Either way, it's nice that Gohan is positioned into the serious, but also empathetic hero type of character this arc.

My turn.
I stayed away from Tate shots I liked because I don't want to start that argument again.

Something that was set up for months isn't poorly justified. Poorly justfy would be everyone randomly letting go of their grudge against U7.

As I said, you not liking something isn't bad writing. That's you not liking something. And 'boring' is subjective. I find HxH boring. So by you logic, HxH is a badly written.

They're fodder because that's what they are and if all of them were on par with Goku and Vegeta, most of U7 would be pointless fodder. And for the most part, the less interesting fodder got booted, while the fodder with interesting abilities stick around longer.

Pretty much.

I just think of the fodder like world Tourney prelims.

Skii

Good to see one of our saiyans actually taking this seriously. He's just so calm and collected. Doesn't seem to be fazed which is good character development.

I'm expecting thoughts of saving Pan and Videl (maybe even Goten) will spark one of his typical anger strength boosts. Cliched but I'm sure most Gohan fans would love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom