• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

Not

Banned
When does Goku's tiny child voice start to grow on you in the subbed version?

Because seriously guys, having a legacy VA for someone who matures from a child to an adult is the dumbest Japanese custom I think EVER.

I can only watch dubbed Super on Toonami, and it seems like it's way behind.

LotusHD

Banned
Ughh no.

Dragonball everybody worked for their strengths.

It's the terrible Buu saga and terrible DBS that trivializes everything.

Oh, how quickly we forget...

Because seriously guys, having a legacy VA for someone who matures from a child to an adult is the dumbest Japanese custom I think EVER.

Episode 39.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

You take that back. Nozawa is a treasure.

Never

You can only get used to it by the results of Stockholm Syndrome.

Yes, who could forget in Dragon Ball when Goku got stronger than Mercenary Tao by chasing Korin for a couple of days.

Sure if you ignore all the context.

Climbing up Korin's tower upped his strength and Goku did that twice. Chasing Korin not only made him move more efficiently, it made his breathing more efficient since it's harder to breath up there. It also taught him to adapt to his opponents better.

It's a gamble that could have killed him. Goku was literally dying after drinking that water.

Not no stupid tingly back bs.

I mean, if you ever thought Goku was going to die like that, then fair play to ya mate.

And as for tingly back stuff, I believe we've established that post-Goku SSJ is pretty easy to get if you cut out anime filter.

I mean, if you ever thought Goku was going to die like that, then fair play to ya mate.

And as for tingly back stuff, I believe we've established that post-Goku SSJ is pretty easy to get if you cut out anime filter.

It took Vegeta 3 years of training to get, It took Gohan 4 years of training to get. People forget that Gohan was training for 3 years with Goku.

Only Goten and Trunks got it easy.

^ because it's stupid.

I'd be fine with the universe 6 Saiyans getting the Blue form.

Honestly, Blue was never particularly interesting or well developed to be honest.

Sure if you ignore all the context.

Climbing up Korin's tower upped his strength and Goku did that twice. Chasing Korin not only made him move more efficiently, it made his breathing more efficient since it's harder to breath up there. It also taught him to adapt to his opponents better.

It's still ridiculous if you really think about Goku achieving all that in such a small time frame.

Dragon Ball wasn't above cheap power ups either when it wanted to move the plot forward, and it certainly isn't something Super introduced.

Morlas

Hell goku's training during the saiyan and frieza sagas made him hundreds of times stronger and being beat up by vegeta made him a hundred times stronger too....point is power levels are bullshit

Never

nah, i've grew up with the french adult version and I still love the japanese dub even more...i had them in games that were release here in europe when the serie was still running, and they all had japanese! don't forget that nozawa is 80 right now, she had way more power in her voice back in the DBZ days and it was glorious! Her goku isn't that great anymore, but her black dub is the best! There's something unique to it

i mean listen at this, goku vs frieza from super, but with old music, sfx and scream, you can hear how much power nozawa had in her voice back in the days :

https://youtu.be/L_s7WuNPrGM?t=54s

Look at Hokuto no Ken or Bruce lee Screams, they are high-pitched when they punch, but it's still amazing!

It's always nice to see some actual fresh opinions on Nowaza's voice for once.

Even better when they find out she voices all of Goku's family sans Raditz.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
To me he should've had a dude's voice in Shippuden
He should have had a dudes voice by the last, shippuden both American and Japanese made him sound deeper but still believable but once the last came around then any suspension of belief just disappears

LotusHD

Banned
Go back and watch Goku obtaining SS and you'll see how mystic it is, nothing against U6 characters.

I don't think anyone in this thread needs to be reminded of how iconic that was. But maybe others need to be reminded that it got subsequently trivialized through Trunks, Vegeta, Gohan, and then later on Goten & Trunks. The last two being children, one of whom wasn't even trying to activate it on purpose.

Not

Banned
He should have had a dudes voice by the last, shippuden both American and Japanese made him sound deeper but still believable but once the last came around then any suspension of belief just disappears

What's up with that? Are there any examples in anime of changing the original voice actor due to aging up or does it like, not even occur to the casting people?

Skeeter49

It's only one saiyan who did the tingly back thing anyway.

Kale and Cabba did not do it.

But please blame Cabba for introducing the plot point, and kindly leave Caulifla out of it.

caliph95

It's only one saiyan who did the tingly back thing anyway.

Kale and Cabba did not do it.

But please blame Cabba for introducing the plot point, and kindly leave Caulifla out of it.
All the Saiyans do it Goku confirmed it the anger is the trigger

(Can't wait to be corrected)

The thing about forms in Dragon Ball is they all eventually get trivialized.

"Holy shit balls, this new form is so far beyond everything....It's like nothing we've ever seen before..."

*New Villain Appears, hero with previously dope form gets trounced*

"Oh god, he can't do anything!"

Blue already felt trivial once Black/Zamasu rolled around.

Daingurse

Never

Honestly, this was definitely the case for me lol. DBS pretty much forced me to get used to the original voice cast. I have always preferred the English dub voices for DBZ. I still prefer them in-fact, but I can at least say that I don't hate the original voices anymore. Hell, there are a few voices like Future Trunks and Frieza, that I really enjoy.

kunonabi

Never but its only marginally worse than the funi dub so it just doesnt really matter much at the end of the day.

caliph95

The thing about forms in Dragon Ball is they all eventually get trivialized.

"Holy shit balls, this new form is so far beyond everything....It's like nothing we've ever seen before..."

*New Villain Appears, hero with previously dope form gets trounced*

"Oh god, he can't do anything!"

Blue already felt trivial once Black/Zamasu rolled around.
Pfft Golden Frieza was stronger with 4 months training

Hit was better than Blue and even improved to take on SSBKK and could have won if he could use his killing techniques

Blue was never that special

Clearly Raditz isn't a true son of Bardock, Gine must have been up to something while Bardock was away conquering some planet.

I see, that explains how Xicor is actually Goku's canon son after all.

It must run in the bloodline. Toyotaro can finally be vindicated for being right all along.

T said:
Fresh? These crop up literally all the time :p
It's hard to tell sometimes since it's usually the default reaction whenever I show someone the subbed version of Z.

What's up with that? Are there any examples in anime of changing the original voice actor due to aging up or does it like, not even occur to the casting people?

Sometimes it happens, depends on the show.

But never with these long-running shonen. The characters are supposed to be young anyway.

Top Bottom