• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
"When all is said and done, the protagonist of Dragon Ball is Son Goku. Characters such as Piccolo, Vegeta, or Trunks may be popular too, but in the end it’s Goku"

Fucking duh

EAPdDCu.gif

NeonZ

I am almost certain that Toei has more data than TV ratings since Toonami does the same, but hey, it's much more fun to think Toei is being needless bias.

They do have demographic data for the ratings. In the case of this GT interview, regarding Goku's presence, I doubt they're going by that tough, considering how he outright says it's not related to ratings (and GT's ratings crashed hard coming from Z and couldn't even get a boost when they switched to battles, so they were clearly wrong).

caliph95

They do have demographic data. In the case of this GT interview, regarding Goku's presence, I doubt they're going by that tough, considering how he outright says it's not related to ratings (and GT's ratings crashed hard coming from Z and couldn't even get a boost when they switched to battles, so they were clearly wrong).
To be fair GT also wasn't very good

I definitely feel that adventure feel played a part tho ain’t nobody want that I’m sure it’s why dragon ball never caught on as big(or rather you hear about it less over in the west)

Now I see why we went straight to a tournament instead of uni hopping :( darn battle hungry fans

caliph95

I definitely feel that adventure feel played a part tho ain’t nobody want that I’m sure it’s why dragon ball never caught on as big(or rather you hear about it less over in the west)

Now I see why we went straight to a tournament instead of uni hopping :( darn battle hungry fans
I would rather have that than a tournament

Probably would have made the tournament a lot better

Magwik

Banned

But the tourney has been a great shortcut to establish the universes, characters of interest, and the gods.

I feel like the bigger reason that dragon Ball never caught on as much in the west is that it aired after dbz

So people had come to expect the battle heavy show already

NeonZ

Universe hopping could work if it's part of a larger story, like a new Freeza saga-type story where rather than just taking place in a single planet the action spreads around multiple planets threatened by a single enemy army and main villain. Of course, they'd need to introduce yet another set of collectibles to make that work...

Yeah that's true as well I suppose

But he's the protagonist
And? These shounens are able to balance the protag with the rest of the cast, and are able to leave them for a bit and not treat them like they're Poochy who has to be on screen every second. AT was already bad enough with shitting on his older characters but at least he was willing to put Goku on the backburner at times(and those moments made me like Goku more), GT went above and beyond even that to throw everyone under the bus to make Goku look good, it sure worked out greatly for them, at least SSJ4 endures.

Now where is Togashi, I need more HxH.

LotusHD

Banned
And? These shounens are able to balance the protag with the rest of the cast, and are able to leave them for a bit and not treat them like they're Poochy who has to be on screen every second. AT was already bad enough with shitting on his older characters but at least he was willing to put Goku on the backburner at times(and those moments made me like Goku more), GT went above and beyond even that to throw everyone under the bus to make Goku look good, it sure worked out greatly for them, at least SSJ4 endures.

Lol, y'all better treasure this tournament arc like your life depends on it then

HeroR

They do have demographic data for the ratings. In the case of this GT interview, regarding Goku's presence, I doubt they're going by that tough, considering how he outright says it's not related to ratings (and GT's ratings crashed hard coming from Z and couldn't even get a boost when they switched to battles, so they were clearly wrong).

I was actually talking about when he said that they knew coming from all the work they did with Z and the movies about how Goku's presence or lack of presence effects the audience, not necessarily GT.

And, it always comes as missing the point when people claimed GT failed because of 'too much Goku'. While Goku did get a lot of scene time, Goku was the least of the show's problems and it's always come off to me that Goku is a scapegoat for GT's failure.

I also don't see how they were clearly wrong when they said that the switch happened primarily because it was natural, which I do agree with. The flow from an adventure story to more action was done almost seamless in GT, almost the same way how Dragon Ball went from comedy to a darker tone after King Piccolo.

HeroR

I feel like the bigger reason that dragon Ball never caught on as much in the west is that it aired after dbz

So people had come to expect the battle heavy show already

I don't think that is entirely true since even in countries where Dragon Ball aired first and was popular, Z is greatly preferred. This holds true even in Japan. So the fact is that while fans do enjoy the adventure type story of Dragon Ball, the action type story of Z is far and away more popular. Even the Frieza Saga wasn't universe hopping since everything happened on one planet and after that the story never really felt a need to move away from Earth again outside of the half step of having the Kid Buu fight take place on the Kai's world.

Skeeter49

We can wait to explore the other universes when everyone from U7 gets separated, as well as other universe fighters, and wind up into a different universe, and each of them gets a power boost because of it.

That GT interview sure is interesting

At this point you post more about Cabba than Caulifla. You're gonna end up liking him ironically. :p
We got a Cabba focused episode before a Caulifla focused episode in this tournament.
I'm mad.

Kale = 2 episodes
Cabba = 1 episode
Caulifla? Fuck all.

HeroR

Now where is Togashi, I need more HxH.

Depends on the Shounen. Some have stories that can work without the main character being on scene all the time and some don't.

For example, Death Note is a shounen and Light was in every episode for obvious reasons. HxH is honestly more about the world then the characters, which is why you can removed Gon and miss nothing, that and Gon isn't a very good character. One Piece is interesting since Luffy can be off-scene a lot, but at the same time, Oda will dumped all the Straw Hats to focused on Luffy, like how the manga went two years with just Luffy and none of the Straw Hats or how he split the crew twice that lasted for years.

I would rather have that than a tournament

Probably would have made the tournament a lot better
I’d care more about the universes getting destroyed that’s for sure

Depends on the Shounen. Some have stories that can work without the main character being on scene all the time and some don't.

For example, Death Note is a shounen and Light was in every episode for obvious reasons. HxH is honestly more about the world then the characters, which is why you can removed Gon and miss nothing, that and Gon isn't a very good character. One Piece is interesting since Luffy can be off-scene a lot, but at the same time, Oda will dumped all the Straw Hats to focused on Luffy, like how the manga went two years with just Luffy and none of the Straw Hats or how he split the crew twice that lasted for years.
This upsets me

Rutger

Banned
I don't think that is entirely true since even in countries where Dragon Ball aired first and was popular, Z is greatly preferred. This holds true even in Japan. So the fact is that while fans do enjoy the adventure type story of Dragon Ball, the action type story of Z is far and away more popular. Even the Frieza Saga wasn't universe hopping since everything happened on one planet and after that the story never really felt a need to move away from Earth again outside of the half step of having the Kid Buu fight take place on the Kai's world.

I enjoy Z more because it has more characters that I like.

I wouldn't have a problem at all with it returning to an adventure story if it embraces its cast of wonderful characters.

HeroR

I'd care more about the universes getting destroyed that's for sure

This upsets me

I don't think you're supposed to really care. I mean, the characters in the show really don't.

Sorry, Gon really isn't. He's like a check list of Shounen main character cliches with none of the charm that makes this trope works. It's the same problem I have with Eren from the AOT despite him being a deconstruction of this trope. Gon, I've heard, will deconstruct this same trope, so I want to see how it's done and hope it's better then Eren.

I enjoy Z more because it has more characters that I like.

I wouldn't have a problem at all with it returning to an adventure story if it embraces its cast of wonderful characters.

It is almost impossible to have an adventure type story using such a giant cast like Z. Why do you the Straw Hats despite being pirates have such a small crew? Heck, Oda have been having problems balancing the cast despite the crew being fairly small.

I don't think you're supposed to really care. I mean, the characters in the show really don't.
I want to tho that’s the inner conflict I’m having with this arc I feel nothing and you say we aren’t supposed to but than why even give the tournament those kinda stakes just have a powerful tournament

Skeeter49

I want to tho that's the inner conflict I'm having with this arc I feel nothing and you say we aren't supposed to but than why even give the tournament those kinda stakes just have a powerful tournament

I care about 6, and they're being given the most focus, so that's all that matters for me. 6 getting eliminated soon is the worst thing that could happen to this arc. Then the only universe I care about is 7, and that's no way to live.

I do like 11 and a lot of their gimmicks, even if most of them got eliminated fast.

Caulifla and Kale have gotten the most development for u6 this tournament so obviously they're gonna play a big part later on
People who think 6 is out soon are delusional. Between Kale and Caulifla, one of the 2 is making it, the other will be Frieza's play thing.

Morlas

Caulifla and Kale have gotten the most development for u6 this tournament so obviously they're gonna play a big part later on

LotusHD

Banned
I care about 6, and they're being given the most focus, so that's all that matters for me. 6 getting eliminated soon is the worst thing that could happen to this arc. Then the only universe I care about is 7, and that's no way to live.

There are no lies in this post

HeroR

I want to tho that’s the inner conflict I’m having with this arc I feel nothing and you say we aren’t supposed to but than why even give the tournament those kinda stakes just have a powerful tournament

I do like 11 and a lot of their gimmicks, even if most of them got eliminated fast.

Skeeter49 more or less answers this. You care for the characters that Toei wants you to care about. In this case, U6 since we did spent time with them, even the new characters like Kale and Cali. I mean, people were sad about U10 being erased despite the only character anyone cared about being Gowasu, for good reason mind you.

U9, on the other hand, was never built to be that sympathetic and exists only to show that Zen'o was going to erased universes without mercy.

People who think 6 is out soon are delusional. Between Kale and Caulifla, one of the 2 is making it, the other will be Frieza's play thing.
6 is the closet thing I can get to caring and the u6 tournament played a big part in that got to know these characters before hand half the team in fact

Skeeter49

I haven't watched all of GT.

I feel like not completing it is the correct decision.

I mean, the ending is the best part of GT.

And the last arc has some good moments, even if it's still overall boring.

How far'd you get? The middle arc is the worst.

baby arc and shadow dragon arc are ok

skeeter is right, the end is the best part
Agreed, at best their okay. Both have some highs, but a lot of lows as well.
As much as I want to say Shadow Dragon arc is the best of GT, Goten, Trunks, Gohan, and Vegeta getting involved in the Baby arc is good as well.

Then again the Baby arc shits on every character not Vegeta, and you can make a case for them shitting on Vegeta as well. While the Shadow Dragons arc doesn't use a lot of characters, it doesn't really shit on anyone.

Rutger

Banned

Sorry, Gon really isn't. He's like a check list of Shounen main character cliches with none of the charm that makes this trope works. It's the same problem I have with Eren from the AOT despite him being a deconstruction of this trope. Gon, I've heard, will deconstruct this same trope, so I want to see how it's done and hope it's better then Eren.
It's not going to be better with Eren.
It's never going to be better with Eren.

Gon might feel like a checklist because HxH is a deconstruction of shonen, and he explores many of the flaws characters like Goku have that are often just glossed over.

He is very important to HxH.
And has more charm than Goku.
It is almost impossible to have an adventure type story using such a giant cast like Z. Why do you the Straw Hats despite being pirates have such a small crew? Heck, Oda have been having problems balancing the cast despite the crew being fairly small.

Not every arc needs every character. This is one of the benefits to a long running series, one arc can have a focus on certain characters and the next can change it up.
The approach Oda takes is fine.

Top Bottom