• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 4 out now on iOS/Android, party chat included

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Square-Enix is inconsistent with their mobile port release dates. TWEWY took almost 2 years to come over to Android, most of the FF remakes were on Android (ranging from a few weeks to a few months) after their iOS releases, FF Tactics is on Android only in Japan, DQVIII, as you said, were almost same-day. It's tough to predict what SE will do in regards to Android.

/resumes head-bopping
;)

KtSlime

So does this version require online connection? I'm assuming not, but you never know with these mobile games.

The iOS version does not, I would not be surprised however if the Android version did, I've read that most SE games on Android do.

The iOS version does not, I would not be surprised however if the Android version did, I've read that most SE games on Android do.
Nah, it's just Chrono Trigger. CT downloads only the first part of the game from the Play Store and downloads the other parts in the background at certain points in the game. There may be some other SE title that I'm forgetting about, but it's probably not important.

EDIT: Ah, I see where you were getting that impression from. When it was originally released, Final Fantasy 1 had always-on DRM, but SE patched it out a few months later. Since then, SE's games (except for CT) have generally used the standard Google Play License Check (only verifies when starting the app the first time after install; doesn't need to check again unless you clear the app's data/cache).

Ninja Dom

Purchased on iOS and downloaded both to my iPad and iPhone.

Cloud saves should mean I can boogie on both devices with the same progress.

KtSlime

Nah, it's just Chrono Trigger. CT downloads only the first part of the game from the Play Store and downloads the other parts in the background at certain points in the game. There may be some other SE title that I'm forgetting about, but it's probably not important.

EDIT: Ah, I see where you were getting that impression from. When it was originally released, Final Fantasy 1 had always-on DRM, but SE patched it out a few months later. Since then, SE's games (except for CT) have generally used the standard Google Play License Check (only verifies when starting the app the first time after install; doesn't need to check again unless you clear the app's data/cache).

Thanks, good to know. Sorry for the misinformation.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I would totally get that. But maybe on sale. I love the look. It's my favorite aesthetic.

Now, I'd love to play DQVII with this style. (Which is pretty much what it looked like on the PSX except higher resolution.)

Which games are on iOS so far? At least in the US. I've seen 8 and 4 so far.

I don't mind portrait in these games too much, but I'd still like at least an option for landscape. But it's not a deal breaker. I spent $20 on 8 and I love it.

KtSlime

I would totally get that. But maybe on sale. I love the look. It's my favorite aesthetic.

Now, I'd love to play DQVII with this style. (Which is pretty much what it looked like on the PSX except higher resolution.)

I don't mind portrait in these games too much, but I'd still like at least an option for landscape. But it's not a deal breaker. I spent $20 on 8 and I love it.

Currently in Japan 1, 2 (via the DQ Portal app), 4, and 8. My guess is 5 will be arriving sometime in September after they finish the current promotion (Cat Island) in DQMSL, and start a Hand of the Heavenly Bride themed one for about a month.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I dont understand why the presentation of IV here is better than VIII.

In the video above you can see the nice menu animations and use of icons and text scrolls in and has a nice serif typeface.

But DQVIII is so plain. No animations. No icons in the menus. No scrolling text or serif font. Now I'm jealous. IV looks so much nicer UI wise than VIII. I miss the item icons.

Syril

I dont understand why the presentation of IV here is better than VIII.

In the video above you can see the nice menu animations and use of icons and text scrolls in and has a nice serif typeface.

But DQVIII is so plain. No animations. No icons in the menus. No scrolling text or serif font. Now I'm jealous. IV looks so much nicer UI wise than VIII. I miss the item icons.

The PS2 version of DQ8 had its menus totally overhauled in localization. I saw some pictures of the Japanese version and it was very plain looking. I wonder if this version is missing the voice acting that they had added too.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The PS2 version of DQ8 had its menus totally overhauled in localization. I saw some pictures of the Japanese version and it was very plain looking. I wonder if this version is missing the voice acting that they had added too.

Mobile version of DQVIII is based on the Japanese version. So no nice menus, no orchestral music and no voice overs.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Mobile version of DQVIII is based on the Japanese version. So no nice menus, no orchestral music and no voice overs.
I'm talking about the animations that they didn't put into the iOS version that the original game had. i.e. text scrolling and typing in with a serif font like the original PS2 version had. IV has this and it looks so nice. But VIII just displays the text flat and straight and with a sans serif font. Doesn't look as nice. IV has really nice UI presentation when compared to VIII.

heringer

IIRC, the monsters in DQVII didn't have the smooth animations like the DS remakes.

flowsnake

oz7lzTj.png

hmm.

itschris

I played Dragon Quest V first on the DS, and I really enjoyed it. I got Dragon Quest IV afterwords and while it was still good, I didn't enjoy it as much as DQV. A big part of that was the missing party chat - in DQV, it was more exciting to go to new places and talk to people because I could see how my party would react. It also allowed for a lot more character development than you would otherwise get. So I'm looking forward to playing through IV again on my tablet! I'm only an hour in, but here's some early party chat in case anyone was curious:

Synless

15 bucks? This is one of the major reasons why I'm so against the move to mobile as a platform. But hey, if people want it, great I suppose. Maybe if/when it goes on sale for 4.99-6.99
In what world is this fully featured and fantastic game not worth $15? I bought it for $40 on the DS and it was worth that. The reason mobile games will never become great is because of people with your mindset.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd say the prices are justified. Just because it's mobile means it needs a mobile price. This is a full game for a near-mobile price. I'll definitely buy this when I finish VIII. I never played through 2-7 or anything after 8 so if I can enjoy them on mobile, even better. I think all the games, at least the first 7, should get this same graphical update on iOS/Android. I'd love to see a I+II update in this style. I loved the SFC version of the original.

Bladenic

I'll probably wait for DQ 5 and 6 as I like those better.

I do too, but DQ4 is still great and unique with the chapter system.

Truthfully, I didn't care much for DQ4 when I first played it (DS version) but I replayed it and gained a new appreciation for it. The main reason I didn't like it: lack of party chat, as it caused all the characters to be boring and lacking any sort of personality beyond the small amounts they show in their own chapters. I think the new iOS version could rectify that, so I'll definitely be purchasing it soon.

Velcro Fly

DQ4 is one of my favorites

Won't get a new phone to play this but if I upgrade this fall I'll look into it even though I have the DS version.

I played Dragon Quest V first on the DS, and I really enjoyed it. I got Dragon Quest IV afterwords and while it was still good, I didn't enjoy it as much as DQV. A big part of that was the missing party chat - in DQV, it was more exciting to go to new places and talk to people because I could see how my party would react. It also allowed for a lot more character development than you would otherwise get. So I'm looking forward to playing through IV again on my tablet! I'm only an hour in, but here's some early party chat in case anyone was curious:
I waited so damn long to here Healie talk. I'm really over the moon about this. :)

I can't wait to pick this up when I get a new phone this fall.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I waited so damn long to here Healie talk. I'm really over the moon about this. :)

I can't wait to pick this up when I get a new phone this fall.

The lack of party chat kept me from replaying DQ4 on DS. It's really amusing that the phone port, of all version, has it.

itschris

What exactly is Party Chat? Is it like in 8 where you can get advice from the other members on what to do next?

It's similar, but there's a lot more than just advice - often when a significant event happens, or when you get to a new area, or even when you talk to an NPC, your party members will react and have something to say about it if you press the party chat button. So it ends up being where most of the character development happens after someone joins your party.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
For anyone that's played the game, does it support listening to podcasts or music? I'd love it for my phone but know I'd never play it it I have to choose between it and podcasts.

itschris

For anyone that's played the game, does it support listening to podcasts or music? I'd love it for my phone but know I'd never play it it I have to choose between it and podcasts.

I just tried and can confirm it does let you listen to podcasts and music (at least on Android). Also, in the settings menu there are 5 volume levels for music and sound effects, though the lowest level is just quiet, not off, so maybe better for podcasts than for music.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just tried and can confirm it does let you listen to podcasts and music (at least on Android). Also, in the settings menu there are 5 volume levels for music and sound effects, though the lowest level is just quiet, not off, so maybe better for podcasts than for music.

That's promising but I'm still not sure if I can trust them not to fuck it up on iOS, Square have absolutely no logic sometimes. Anyone else familiar with the iOS version and can say if you can use your own music? £10 is a lot to waste if it doesn't.

Reknoc

That's promising but I'm still not sure if I can trust them not to fuck it up on iOS, Square have absolutely no logic sometimes. Anyone else familiar with the iOS version and can say if you can use your own music? £10 is a lot to waste if it doesn't.

your distrust is well founded, just tried it myself and music doesn't work while playing. unless i'm an idiot and missed something, but i'm reasonably sure I didn't

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
your distrust is well founded, just tried it myself and music doesn't work while playing. unless i'm an idiot and missed something, but i'm reasonably sure I didn't

Godamn stupid fucking Square. There's an arrogance to "you must listen to this music" that winds me up. I'd rather sit and listen to something while not playing anything than play something and not be able to listen to a record or podcast. One sale lost, thanks for saving me a tenner man :)

Clunker

Anyone tried cloud saving on iOS? Is it reliable between iPad and iPhone?

If it is I'll pick it up.
I just tested it out and it works fine, at least the one time. It seems to overwrite your entire save file (all 3 data slots), but it does state everything in clear language about checking local files vs cloud files and telling you which one is the most recent.

Unfortunately, I don't think the game looks very good on iPad mini - the game looks and plays great on iPhone but it looks a little too blown-up for me on the larger screen. Still plays like a dream, though - I'd forgotten how much party chat can add to the experience.

Scrawnton

Fantastic port, the best version in my opinion. I at it mostly on my iPad Air and I enjoy the big blown up pixels that way. Looks very beautiful on the screen that way. I think the virtual dpad works amazingly in this game and I have no complaints. Just got to chapter 5 and an ready for the game to really begin.

Cloud saves are flawless. I switch back and forth between iphone and ipad every day and there are no issues and downloading the save files. I also downloaded dq8 on my ipad and it is much better than people led me to believe. Very excited about dragon quest on mobile.

Reknoc

Hrm the controls are actually a little frustrating in Torneko's chapter. The tiny stealth section was a pain and there's a lot of pushing things that I struggle with. Been fine with them before this though.

Ninja Dom

Just finished the first chapter of this. It took
1 hour and 48 minutes
. I'm really enjoying it all.

What is jarring is that some of the suits of armour in some of the castles are rendered in a much higher res than the rest of the game. Still, it's nothing really.

Great game so far, runs smooth on my 5S and I actually prefer playing on the 5S over my iPad 4th gen. Cloud Saves work a treat too.

zpiders

I have to say i'm thoroughly surprised but just how well this plays on my phone. I'm playing on a Note 2 and it runs nice and smooth on it. The controls also work great once you get used to it. I have never played it on any other handheld/console and am really enjoying it so far.

I hope more people support games with big price tags and content like this than the F2P crap.

Top Bottom