• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 4 out now on iOS/Android, party chat included

15 bucks? This is one of the major reasons why I'm so against the move to mobile as a platform. But hey, if people want it, great I suppose. Maybe if/when it goes on sale for 4.99-6.99

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Does this have Gamepad support on Android?

I have not, and will likely never get used to controlling shit with an on screen gamepad.

KiTA

...Party chat?! Really?

Holy cow, Square Enix is actually... Making an effort? What is this sorcery?

Some of the screenshots suggest they might have went over the localization and toned down some of those god awful faux accents, too.

But of course to remind us they're still Square Enix... dargon.

Still, with the new DQM title announcement (CH remake?), this, and DQX allowing non Japanese players, this has been a pretty good few weeks for DQ fans.

Now we just need a DQM Super Light localization announcement, heh.

15 bucks? This is one of the major reasons why I'm so against the move to mobile as a platform. But hey, if people want it, great I suppose. Maybe if/when it goes on sale for 4.99-6.99

You're against the move to mobile because games are occasionally $15? Where are you buying Dragon Quest IV for less than that? (Serious question, I was under the impression the only other way to buy it at a reasonable price was the DS version, and that's probably more than $15.)

You're against the move to mobile because games are occasionally $15? Where are you buying Dragon Quest IV for less than that? (Serious question, I was under the impression the only other way to buy it at a reasonable price was the DS version, and that's probably more than $15.)

Price isn't the only issue that I have with the format, but I don't want to thread shit. If people are happy about this, then lets just let them be happy.

Aeana

I dunno why people are saying the accents were toned down. From what I've seen, it's all the same as the DS script. Is this just a case of people thinking it was way worse than it actually was?

Eusis

I dunno why people are saying the accents were toned down. From what I've seen, it's all the same as the DS script. Is this just a case of people thinking it was way worse than it actually was?
How does party chat compare? If that was newly translated rather than "whoops left it off the cart" it may've been a milder translation and thus diluting people's perceptions of the accents.

How does party chat compare? If that was newly translated rather than "whoops left it off the cart" it may've been a milder translation and thus diluting people's perceptions of the accents.
That would explain the screenshot where Alena seems to missing her Russian accent and appears to have dialogue on the world map (unless that happened as soon as she left the castle and I forgot as it has been years since I played DQIV).

TheChaos0

Despite not liking the portrait orientation (more due to the fact that it's a bit uncomfortable hold your phone like that for long periods of time), I might try this out. Looks like a decent port attempt, that added some extras that were not present in DS version. Plus, I've never play Dragon Quest before...

Gloam

Dragon Quest VIII

D S III??? If you rearrange those and change the numerals, you get 3DS!

H1pqcYy.jpg

We're not in Kansas anymore Toto.

Reknoc

probably because of the screenshot with Alena without her accent. But I've started it and can't understand anyone in Chapter 1 so I'm still in silly accent heaven.

n0tail

Banned
Looks like Square are really putting a lot of faith into iOS. Hope it pays off, more mobile games is great. Might pick this up on a huge sale, never for 14.99.

I remembered hoving a Goten time playing the nyntindo DeS verizion, but 15 Glod to pay is a lot for mobile but DARGON Quest IV is 1 of my favoright in the series

Porcile

I never did beat the FINAL FINAL boss. That dude was crazy hard. Am I a loser?

I also prefer this game to V (blasphemy, I know) and VI.

flowsnake

Seems to run reasonably on my Nexus 4, but the framerate feels noticeably less smooth than on DS. I haven't played 8 on mobile but it definitely doesn't seem as bad as I've heard that is.

I never did beat the FINAL FINAL boss. That dude was crazy hard. Am I a loser?
Final boss difficulty spike is a thing that happens to me in DQ games too. As for the final boss (some vague details)
it has a crazy number of forms, on the NES it must have impressive to see

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This is such an odd post. Why are you against mobile? It's very unclear in this post.

jokkir

So is this broken on Xposed like the majority of the Final Fantasy games? Was thinking of getting this, FFVI or FFIV After Years

Bought on Android.
But it says this on Google Play:
"This epic adventure, unfolding over five unique chapters, each focusing on a different cast of characters, can now be enjoyed on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad!"
I guess if it does a Chrono Trigger and breaks completely they don't even have to pretend that they are looking into it...

Li Kao

The games not worth $15? Looks like good value to me.

You don't get it, silly ! When looking at a mobile game, especially a port here's the correct way of handling things.

- Firstly, you treat it as armed robbery.
- Then be oblivious to the fact that the price is still cheaper or on par with other platforms
- You don't give a flying fuck about the fact that the pricing situation of mobile games will be a toxic wasteland as long as any game over 5$ is considered an insult to the people.
- You can't compare the operating cost of a company like RocketCat to Square Enix, you say ? Get out !

There are sub laws but now you have the gist of it. You are a mobile customer now, my boy. You can walk proudly and buy IAP.

This is a joke. I stand by my points but ultimately you consume your entertainment how you see fit.

jwhit28

You don't get it, silly ! When looking at a mobile game, especially a port here's the correct way of handling things.

- Firstly, you treat it as armed robbery.
- Then be oblivious to the fact that the price is still cheaper or on par with other platforms
- You don't give a flying fuck about the fact that the pricing situation of mobile games will be a toxic wasteland as long as any game over 5$ is considered an insult to the people.
- You can't compare the operating cost of a company like RocketCat to Square Enix, you say ? Get out !

There are sub laws but now you have the gist of it. You are a mobile customer now, my boy. You can walk proudly and buy IAP.

This is a joke. I stand by my points but ultimately you consume your entertainment how you see fit.

DQIV on DS is near impossible to find under $20. So on mobile it should only be about $5.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Looks like Square are really putting a lot of faith into iOS. Hope it pays off, more mobile games is great. Might pick this up on a huge sale, never for 14.99.

If you want more mobile games, especially ones with good value propositions, why not pick it up for $15? Mobile isn't gonna ever emerge out of a F2P hellhole without people willing to pay premium pricing.

KiTA

Yeah, it's definitely time people stop bellyaching about the price. Its getting silly. This is a 40+ hour JRPG, not Angry Birds 6: The Quest for More IAP.

Iwata was right. The mobile pricing death spiral was a disaster for gaming.

Edit: Has anyone done a comparison between the DS and mobile version scripts? And is party chat confirmed?

Li Kao

Yeah, it's definitely time people stop bellyaching about the price. Its getting silly. This is a 40+ hour JRPG, not Angry Birds 6: The Quest for More IAP.

Iwata was right. The mobile pricing death spiral was a disaster for gaming.

Edit: Has anyone done a comparison between the DS and mobile version scripts? And is party chat confirmed?

The party chat is discussed in the toucharcade review. Performances are said to be good. All seems clear.

javadoze

Party chat returning? YES!

No regional dialects? Meh...

The different accents by different townspeople were one off my favorite things about the DS version. Even if a lot of the towns seemed a bit generic, it helped add a bit more flavor to the game.

While not my most favorite of the Zenithian trilogy, DQIV is still quite a solid game.

AmyS

My brother just got this for his iPhone 5 as he doesn't own a DS.

The only RPG's he's played are Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System, Final Fantasy II (IV), Final Fantasy III (VI) and Chrono Trigger on SNES.

It's his first Dragon Quest game so I told him it's the start of the second trilogy and that DQV, DQVI were announced for iOS in Japan so they'll most likely get released here too.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The games not worth $15? Looks like good value to me.

Same. If it was done any other way, it would have been worse. We're at the point where Square Enix has to lay out in the description that the game is a full fledged title with no additional purchases needed and implies no online connectivity required.

KiTA

No regional dialects? Meh...

The different accents by different townspeople were one off my favorite things about the DS version. Even if a lot of the towns seemed a bit generic, it helped add a bit more flavor to the game.

The screenshots I've seen of chapter 1 have the accents. There's talk that they toned them down but as Aeana mentioned above, it might just be a case of people not minding now. The accents being so horrible were a bit of a meme back in the DS era, so...

Reknoc

There are still regional dialects. They don't seem as heavy in Alena's portion as I remember them but that could just be my memory being wrong

Top Bottom