• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 4 out now on iOS/Android, party chat included

Syril

What do you want to know? I played and finished this version in Japanese.

Does it have the battle speed option that DQ5 on the DS had that makes everything go super fast?

Also, what are the limits on saving in this version?

NolbertoS

Looks like a pretty competent port. If party chat truly is back in, and no major flaw pops up, then that would make this the definitive English version. The video says iOS/Android, so I hope it comes to Android in the west soon.

Thanks for the video. I'll avoid the game like the plague on IOS. Not a fan of portrait orientation. At least that saves me 15.99 or something.

Aeana

Does it have the battle speed option that DQ5 on the DS had that makes everything go super fast?

Also, what are the limits on saving in this version?
Yeah, but DQ4 had that too on DS as well.
What do you mean by limits on saving?

Syril

Yeah, but DQ4 had that too on DS as well.
What do you mean by limits on saving?
I remember DQ5 had a suspend save feature, but it didn't work inside certain dungeons. I never played DQ4 at all, so I was curious if there were any areas where the suspend save wasn't available.

Aeana

I remember DQ5 had a suspend save feature, but it didn't work inside certain dungeons. I never played DQ4 at all, so I was curious if there were any areas where the suspend save wasn't available.
Ah. Suspend save works on the world map only on DS. I never even tried it on Android so I actually can't say whether it works the same way or not.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I really enjoyed playing DQIV on DS. At that price and with my luck of crashes... It's worth every cent, but dang almost $20. I sound like a hypocrite for saying that, but the phone genre still makes me eerie.

If I was around a SE exec right now it would be different.

3IZWFRy.jpg
[/QUOTE]

No Russian-accented Alena. No buy! :(

What do you want to know? I played and finished this version in Japanese.

Mostly if the frame rate is good (VIII chugged on my Nexus 7 tablet) and if you can play with a controller (not a deal breaker but I find certain games more comfortable with one)

I have a burning question about the DS version of Dragon Quest IV.
Always thought it was really cool, what is that and what's it about ?

Answer with spoiler tags if need be.

If it's the event I'm thinking of, it's probably not as cool as you may be expecting.

There comes a point during the story where you find a lone castle perched atop a mountain range, but the only accessible path there is blocked by a smaller mountain. So, to open it up, you have to use the Magma Staff to melt it. That same staff can also be used as a weapon, but it becomes obsolete fast.

AmyS

If it's the event I'm thinking of, it's probably not as cool as you may be expecting.

There comes a point during the story where you find a lone castle perched atop a mountain range, but the only accessible path there is blocked by a smaller mountain. So, to open it up, you have to use the Magma Staff to melt it. That same staff can also be used as a weapon, but it becomes obsolete fast.

Kewl, thx for the answer. Gotta get back to playing it, plus, V and VI are still part of my backlog.

UAr6j69.jpg

Dragon

Banned
New Zealand Dollars aren't US Dollars. It'll be 14.99 when it launches in North America. And how exactly is that a bad price? I gladly paid 40€ for the game when it came out on the DS, and now a third of that is a bad price?

I can understand that sentiment when voiced by casual gamers who only search for a quick fix, but I find this quite irritating when it's voiced by core games who are usually the first one's to discredit smartphones as a viable gaming platform - but then never actually give anything a chance that comes out on those platforms.

It came out on DS six years ago and the original came out in 1990 in Japan. SE is shit when it comes to prices. It's smart business for them, so people go crazy when they make sales on PSN and sell a 17 year old game for 5 bucks instead of 10 and people eat it up (FFVII has over 31K ratings on PSN, more than anything else by far).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I was expecting some sort of parody game like DLC quest, kind of like a dudebro RPG ("SLAY ALL TEH DARGONS"). I'm somewhat disappointed.

AmyS

With regard to Dragon Quest VI

For myself at least, I insist on experiencing the translated Super Famicom version first, before playing the DS remake.

JU8hHGh.jpg

DQvs6QE.jpg

EGM made me wanna play it.

I pretty much don't doubt SE will bring iOS versions of V and VI stateside sometime after they're out in Japan.

Unlike a certain DQ remake done in auto-stereoscopic 3D

I'm a little torn. I hate touch controls for anything besides board games on IOS, but my 3DS/Vita both make my eyes hurt after a few hours. WTB PC versions of everything.

Clunker

Oh shit, it has cloud saves! <3

Edit: Runs fantastically on my 4S so far. Just fought a few battles with Ragnar. Haven't gotten Healie yet so can't check for party chat (this wasn't in with Healie in the DS version, right?). So far I like the font a lot for battles and text, which is saying a lot because I remember the DS font being kind of screwy. Only downside so far is that if the app resets on you during multitask app swapping, it doesn't auto-suspend or create a save file or anything. Theoretically, you could lose your current progress. At least the quick save slot doesn't auto-delete itself; this was a great feature in the DS version too.

Edit2: Wait! It does make an auto save file at some point. I think it's set so that it resets when you change scenes, like leaving a town or a dungeon. You could lose some progress still but it probably wouldn't be too much.

Edit3: Tested it out, and it looks like the auto save triggers after the end of a fight, as well as when you leave/enter an area. This is awesome. My 4S almost always shuts down apps when I change to something else.

hongcha

I've played it a bit and it's great. I'm playing on an ipad 2 and it runs at a smooth 30fps. Why the hell does this have a better framerate than the Secret of Mana port? Anyway, the controls, menus, etc are all really nice. I changed the dpad to be on the left side of the screen, and made it "small". Works nicely now. Music is lovely. Well worth the $15.

clem84

Gold Member
The battles don't seem so bad but making your Character walk around the town or world maps looks like a pain. I've been burned by FF6 on IOS. Not plunking down 18$ for this. Besides I've already played the game not too long ago, like last year.

Bring that DQ8 port to consoles SE, then you'll have my money.

Li Kao

I've played it a bit and it's great. I'm playing on an ipad 2 and it runs at a smooth 30fps. Why the hell does this have a better framerate than the Secret of Mana port? Anyway, the controls, menus, etc are all really nice. I changed the dpad to be on the left side of the screen, and made it "small". Works nicely now. Music is lovely. Well worth the $15.

Oh Lord thank you ! I was dreading the ergonomic of a central circle pad on ipad and there are so much games that don't give a fuck about virtual control customization...
So, party chat confirmed guys ?

Scrawnton

They seriously still released it with it saying Dargon Quest... Wow... I can't believe they're that unprofessional.

just downloaded it

Clunker

Oh Lord thank you ! I was dreading the ergonomic of a central circle pad on ipad and there are so much games that don't give a fuck about virtual control customization...
So, party chat confirmed guys ?
You have the option for setting the circle pad on the lower left, lower right, or center. There's also 3 size options for size of circle pad. But as far as I can tell, no options for altering battle screens - it's direct touch on preset buttons , so fight will always be top-left button on lower menu, etc.

alf717

It is still spelled wrong on the US itunes store. :) Anyway I played this the whole way through on the DS. As for the chapter 5 do you have to go out of your way to play that or is it part of the main story? For some reason that doesn't ring a bell for me.

HeeHo

I have played the whole Zenithia (sp?) Trilogy on DS and while I think V has the best overall quality, I had the most fun with DQIV. Aside from the character introduction sequences, I loved the pacing and there was just enough balance between story and gameplay for me to always wanna push onward in the game.

Alena ended up being a beast in my game too. I used her along with the two magic dancer twins and the hero.

Aeana

I have played the whole Zenithia (sp?) Trilogy on DS and while I think V has the best overall quality, I had the most fun with DQIV. Aside from the character introduction sequences, I loved the pacing and there was just enough balance between story and gameplay for me to always wanna push onward in the game.

Alena ended up being a beast in my game too. I used her along with the two magic dancer twins and the hero.
By far the best party!

koutoru

SE is in for a world of hurt when Android L drops. Almost all of their apps have a warning saying they don't support ART.

From the sounds of it, Google will be completely replacing Dalvik with ART in the next version of Android, so yeah, SE needs to get with it.

The odd thing is that Google said that most if not all compatibility issues should of been fixed by now and programmers wouldn't need to change their code to specifically support ART. So why do they still have issues?

Top Bottom