• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Taruranto

Terrible opinion man. She's pretty hilarious and probably the main reason I pop party chat. The rest of the party is admittedly pretty boring and one of the most boring casts I've played in an RPG.

I remember liking Maribel in the PSX and I was pretty bummed when
she left
, then again I remember nothing of the PSX version and she's a mage so she gets a free pass.

I plan to use her again in the 3DS remake endgame, she's a fairly unique character, personality-wise, but as a human being? She's trash.

Oh I just realised I may have missed something.

Is Sharkeye's wife anywhere in the present? I feel like she should have turned up again so it's probably a sidequest I missed.

Also, who was that priest that had lost his memory that got killed by the monster? He's never brought up again but he seemed important.

Good God I hate the hate new 3ds design. Just finished a long story sequence get near the church and the power button is pressed gently as i move just a fraction sat in bed) and kicks me out the game losing an hours progress:(

Oregano

Is Sharkeye's wife anywhere in the present? I feel like she should have turned up again so it's probably a sidequest I missed.

Also, who was that priest that had lost his memory that got killed by the monster? He's never brought up again but he seemed important.

She turns up during the credits. You don't actually meet her as far as I know.

He was the priest from Volgograd, the statue Luka gives him is the statue from Providence. He sacrifices himself twice.

She turns up during the credits. You don't actually meet her as far as I know.

He was the priest from Volgograd, the statue Luka gives him is the statue from Providence. He sacrifices himself twice.

Oh, I mustn't have been paying enough attention during the credits, whoops.

And ohhhhhhhhhhhh!! Wow, I completely failed to put that together.

Thanks.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Finished the main game last night, thoughts below:

Overall I really enjoyed it but DQ8 is still number 1. For reference I have played all the ds remakes too.

A few issues with the game however:
The music; whilst it was good, there seemed to be only a handful of tracks...perhaps my memory fails me but DQ8 didn't feel like this.

There were a few occasions where in order to progress required talking to an npc that didn't feel logical but generally I think this is more to do with the original game's development roots and era (ie a snes/Ps1 mix)

The overall level progression felt kind of restrained/modest (ie you can kill the demon king at roughly level 36 which feels a little low) but this is likely more to do with it being a game from the Ps1.

The job system was nice; I had hero & Ruff as heros and Aishe & Mervyn as champions....dat blade of ultimate power...using it twice per turn felt godlike :D

I look forward to replaying DQ8!

Persevered and did the dungeon again. Now in buccanham how far am I in the game?

You still have a bit of game left, but you're nearing the endish. Maybe 15-20 hours tops.

Is Sharkeye's wife anywhere in the present? I feel like she should have turned up again so it's probably a sidequest I missed

I could have sworn I ran into an npc in the coral cave or c something that was strongly implied to be her

75h in!

Playing as
Sir Mervyn right now

And the one thing that I hate about JRPGs is
the obsession with gods. I knew from the very beginning that the almighty would do something bad. Predictable as fuck. It happens in every JRPG!

th4tguy

11 hours in. Still haven't gotten to see job systems. Losing steam. Lost about an hour of progress because my 3ds died while I was sleeping.
Help me gaf.

The Dink

Question: I wasn't a fan of the original DQ7 PSX (the storyline never seemed to go anywhere and the game was too much of a time sink for the wrong reasons I felt), but I loved DQ8 and DQ9. Does this remake play more like those latter two games or is it more like the original? Because if it takes 20 hours to unlock classes I would probably just play DQ9 again.

Question: I wasn't a fan of the original DQ7 PSX (the storyline never seemed to go anywhere and the game was too much of a time sink for the wrong reasons I felt), but I loved DQ8 and DQ9. Does this remake play more like those latter two games or is it more like the original? Because if it takes 20 hours to unlock classes I would probably just play DQ9 again.

It's definitely a lot faster paced. I'm at the final dungeon 80 hours in. Before that took me like 150 hours

That never bothered me. The class system in dq isn't like the one in ff. IT'S always been something that is unlocked 1/3rd of the way into the game. While it would have been nice to learn a few more skills, the point it comes is at a point where it injects a refreshing g element in to propEl you the next 30 hours.

Plus the story where you unlock it is epic as shit.

Btw on an unrelated note,
any point teach in the wiz The Greater Leveller? Does it unlock The Greatest Leveller?

Is there a difference between the two? The descriptions are the same

Ladekabel

So I arrived at the
three villages in two of which was a musician. I'm now searching for the villagers of the first village who disappeared. Where do I have to go? Already was in the two other towns.

Nvm. I think I got it.

Rizzi

Alltrades Abbey
Is hard as shit. I keep getting bodied super hard, and Kiefer just left. When do I get another party member? :<

Kevinroc

Alltrades Abbey
Is hard as shit. I keep getting bodied super hard, and Kiefer just left. When do I get another party member? :<

After this part, the game isn't exceedingly difficult. Alltrades Abbey is just kind of a kick in the pants.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Alltrades Abbey

I feel like the game expected you to buy
two of the 2400 boomerang and get some gear from the memory game

ElFly

I beat the final boss handily

then
the Almighty cleaned my clock in like five turns

what the actual fuck I saw the 'rude awakening' skill fail to wake up Maribel

goddamn you almighty you cheating bastard

I def made a point of always having two of the highest available boomerangs in my party

in the long run is better than buying other good weapons that hit a single enemy or group, and you are given the best swords

Linkura

I never did the memory game the whole game. Boomerangs are great early game though.

I didn't have nearly as hard of a time at Alltrades as most people did. And I'm not really sure why since I didn't grind or anything. Probably due to RNGesus.

Kalnos

Banned
First time DQ player here, really enjoying it but I do have a question: is the Paladin 'Thin Air' supposed to be absurdly overpowered? It has erased all challenge from the game for the time being haha. Not costing any mana almost makes it seem too good to be true.

MoonFrog

The abilities are poorly balanced, yes. Also, yes, as previous poster said scorch was even more OP in my experience. Scorching hero plus thin air Paladin plus some other random AoE...you can clear regular enemies quite easily.

Kalnos

Banned
Ah, okay. Still having a blast. The bosses can be challenging and I feel like I'm playing a mashup of Doctor Who and the original Dragon Ball, it's awesome.

Makonero

I am stuck after certain major events.
The Almighty has been revived and locked Estard away. I'm now in control of Mervyn but I've been all over Buccanham and the Dwarf hideaway and I can't find the teleportal! Ugh!

I am stuck after certain major events.
The Almighty has been revived and locked Estard away. I'm now in control of Mervyn but I've been all over Buccanham and the Dwarf hideaway and I can't find the teleportal! Ugh!

You have to get permission from the king to climb the tower and grab a bit of the flame at the top. Once you do that it'll put you back to the main party.

Jay RaR

I remember liking Maribel in the PSX and I was pretty bummed when
she left
, then again I remember nothing of the PSX version and she's a mage so she gets a free pass.

I plan to use her again in the 3DS remake endgame, she's a fairly unique character, personality-wise, but as a human being? She's trash.

Maribel at the start was pretty trash at the start but later on when she gets spells she becomes really useful. Her speed is really good too, prolly second to Ruff.

And yeah, if I met someone like her IRL I dunno if I can tolerate lol. She's pretty hilarious though her with sass and constant insults to the hero.

First time DQ player here, really enjoying it but I do have a question: is the Paladin 'Thin Air' supposed to be absurdly overpowered? It has erased all challenge from the game for the time being haha. Not costing any mana almost makes it seem too good to be true.

As people have said, Scorch is even more absurdly powerful. Once I got Monster Masher fully mastered on Ruff, I just Scorched my way to victory from normal encounters until Buccanham I think? The downside was that Ruff was pretty useless to me for the final dungeon since I never leveled any other classes with him.

Kirlia

Banned

The remake had some previously free abilities have some MP costs added to them.

I'm stunned that Thin Air wasn't one of them.

Dsyndrome

Just wait until you get Scorch. Game's become trivial due to that number, since both Ruff and the Protagonist are fully-classed heroes.
Edit: Beaten like a dead horse.

Daouzin

Just wait until you get Scorch. Game's become trivial due to that number, since both Ruff and the Protagonist are fully-classed heroes.
Edit: Beaten like a dead horse.

Scorch is ridiculous! And it costs Zero!

I don't know if I leveled bad classes in my original play-through in the PSX version or if this game is just way easier than the original.

Maribel as a Sage and MC as a Monster Masher was just devastating to all enemies.

I changed Maribel to a Jester and MC to a Priest, but the game thus far has been eazy peazy. Way easier than I remembered, but I may have just remembered it being harder than it actually was.

I think making every character learn a Monster Class or two to get a free ability like Scorch or Lightening is crucial, but it also makes me feel too OP.

Tizoc

Id say so yes but there is an even more overpowered spell ;)
Note that thin air wont damage certain enemies

I managed to get a very lucky rare drop in an endgame area that recovers MP with steps, so now I can just have the AI have fun with actual spells (which end up much, much stronger than Scorch).

MegalonJJ

Banned
I beat the final boss handily

then
the Almighty cleaned my clock in like five turns

what the actual fuck I saw the 'rude awakening' skill fail to wake up Maribel

goddamn you almighty you cheating bastard

I def made a point of always having two of the highest available boomerangs in my party

in the long run is better than buying other good weapons that hit a single enemy or group, and you are given the best swords

wait, how did you fight the Almighty after Killing the demon king?

It's a bonus dungeon

You should have found a few "Mysterious Shards". They go into an alter at the bottom of the Shrine of Mysteries. One of the shards you get during the credits

The remake had some previously free abilities have some MP costs added to them.

I'm stunned that Thin Air wasn't one of them.

Thin Air starts being less effective towards the end though. Like many enemies become immune to it. But yeah, mid-game it basically lets you one-shot almost everything.

ys45

So I literally spent Saturday grinding vocations .
My party is now Champion/Monster smasher/Paladin/Paladin lvl is 35/34/32/32
I maxed heal slime for the main character so he could get multi-heal permanently

My Main character has almost maxed champion (1 lvl away) Ruff, I kept him Monster Smasher because I like this vocation abilities and I recruit monster way easier too and the other 2 are almost maxed paladin I was thinking about switching them to Champion after that .
What lvl should I be for last boss ?

I just beat the
Demon lord under the excavation site
with no problem at all .
Also I know
Maribel will be back
I really hope her lvl will be the same as my current party otherwise I'm no gonna switch back I already did toot much grinding in this game lol

Top Bottom