• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

dawgparty

So does this game have party members who leave and never come back? I am interested in picking it up but I hate that in JRPGs. Can answer in spoiler tags obviously.

Did you get the one in the well in Estard that only shows up during the "victory tour?" If you didn't, I think you will unfortunately have to beat the last boss again.

I did not! Oh well, final boss is easy enough with agility boosting accessories and I still need to get the other two pieces of equipment in the last dungeon anyway.

So does this game have party members who leave and never come back? I am interested in picking it up but I hate that in JRPGs. Can answer in spoiler tags obviously.
There is one that leaves permanently, but it is before you can do any job leveling and you will get their equipment back.

Bleeether

Cool so there is a dq VII thread, posted my thoughts in the wrong thread.

This is my first DQ game, and it took 2 hours before I got to fight anything. For me this was definitely the most boring 2 hours in any game I've ever played. I had to YouTube some play videos just to make sure there is actually fighting in the game.

Good thing is that I'm glad I pushed through the beginning because the game is starting to get fun going through that tower with enemies.

I rather like the intro... on the psx version. The intro here was damaged. While conceptually they maybe had god inventions, their solutons were terrible.

Having kiefer and hero leAve the shrings was a bad idea. And in any case the removed puzzles were neat

Taruranto

Yeah, in their attempt to make it faster, they removed a lot of what worked in the original intro and kept a lot of annoying stuff like the back and fort between the castle and the ruins.

The atmosphere in particular is just... bleah.

So I'm apparently out of space for Traveller's Tablets. Which ones can be safely discarded (ie don't have unique or hard to tame monsters or special rewards / use for fast class levelling)?

Given the number I'm guessing I'm probably approaching this backward and should be asking which are useful ie do have special rewards, mechanical uses or unique / hard to tame monsters ?

Kalnos

Banned

This is my first DQ game, and it took 2 hours before I got to fight anything. For me this was definitely the most boring 2 hours in any game I've ever played. I had to YouTube some play videos just to make sure there is actually fighting in the game.

Good thing is that I'm glad I pushed through the beginning because the game is starting to get fun going through that tower with enemies.

Also my first, there are a lot of good stories after the initial 3-4 hours and the game really picks up at about ~15.

Biske

Yeah, in their attempt to make it faster, they removed a lot of what worked in the original intro and kept a lot of annoying stuff like the back and fort between the castle and the ruins.

The atmosphere in particular is just... bleah.

I really don't understand their attempt to make the intro faster by cutting shit, but they kept shit like me having to go up and down the god damn mountain in providence way too many times.

You take the intro, make it objectively far shittier, but the game is still loaded with back tracking bullshit. Whats the point.

You have a fuckin 50 hour plus game already, one more hour, doesn't harm any.

Bunglers of the highest order. That stuff, along with NPC's being re-used way way waaaay to god damn much, just drives me nuts. Don't even have to be totally new characters, give some a beard, give some a different color shirt, jesus.

Linkura

The backtracking and running around is by far the biggest flaw of the game. The game is already probably the longest main quest JRPG ever made and yet they loved to pad it anyway.

Plus Zoom doesn't even work in the past. What they could have done is made it so Zoom in the past would only work for locations on the island you're currently on. Was that too hard to program or something?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How long is this game compared to the original?

All I know is that the original one can take 100+ hours.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
That's not so bad then.

I was afraid my OG 3DS might die coz of the game.

Linkura

I still spent over 100 hours. Probably 15 of that was my 3DS idling, but I did job grind a lot. The decreased battle requirements for job levels made it a pretty addictive loop. I think I only had 80 or so on the clock on the PS1 version.

The backtracking and running around is by far the biggest flaw of the game. The game is already probably the longest main quest JRPG ever made and yet they loved to pad it anyway.

Plus Zoom doesn't even work in the past. What they could have done is made it so Zoom in the past would only work for locations on the island you're currently on. Was that too hard to program or something?

They underdid the Zoom locations too, really should have been each dungeon and town divided up by island. Makes backtracking unnecessarily tedious.

Finished this game a couple days ago, and it's probably my second- or third-least favourite DQ from 4 - 9. It felt padded. The foreign accents were annoying. The menus were slow as hell. Quite a few of the vignettes were uninteresting. The job system takes too long to unlock. Assets are reused too often in such a long game. The game does have a lovely soundtrack, though not with a live orchestra in the ENG version.

I wasn't expecting to like it that much because I'm not a fan of jobs or small vignettes (as opposed to an overarching story), but I wasn't expecting it to leave such a sour taste after I finished, either.

Arkeband

Banned
I feel as if the post-game is kind of an afterthought. There aren't any "metal king slime" islands or anything, so I'm stuck with the treasure hunter downloaded tablet, and that doesn't have the same charm. (also ~14.5k EXP per instead of ~30k).

Hoping they release some good tablets soon.

Linkura

I feel as if the post-game is kind of an afterthought. There aren't any "metal king slime" islands or anything, so I'm stuck with the treasure hunter downloaded tablet, and that doesn't have the same charm. (also ~14.5k EXP per instead of ~30k).

The problem is they didn't really add any post-game content that wasn't already in the original.

YourMaster

I really don't understand their attempt to make the intro faster by cutting shit, but they kept shit like me having to go up and down the god damn mountain in providence way too many times.

You take the intro, make it objectively far shittier, but the game is still loaded with back tracking bullshit. Whats the point.

This is the reason why I haven't bought this game, even though I'm a big DQ fan. DQVII was already my least favorite modern one, and the thing I disliked most isn't fixed in the remake. I'd rather replay one of the other ones over VII. I've never played VIII though, looking forward to that one.

GeekyDad

Glad to hear you're starting to have fun with it. Honestly, this is probably one of the last DQ games I would recommend to newcomers. It gets quite interesting (for me at least) once you make it close to Alltrades, but damn, this is a helluva slow-burn DQ. I could easily see it driving away many folks new to the main series. It grows on you, though, if you can stick with it, which, even for someone like me who has played many of these games, has not been easy to do...

So I just cleared out Alltrades Abbey.

What are the most broken job combinations?
Paladin is the best Tier 2 class (gets multiheal, oomph, kazing, and I think Thin Air) and Champion is the best Tier 3 class (basically a better Paladin with a massive strength bonus.)

My recommended approach for most players starting out job leveling is to grind to master Jester and Thief for everyone first as it gets class prerequisites out of the way and Jester gives useful early game crowd control. Then start out as Priest for Zing after being mastered and Priest branches out to Sage or Paladin depending on what other classes you master. Typically characters that focus on spellcasting will unlock Druid.

A character can take an alternative path and progress as Sailor, Shepard, and eventually Pirate and Monster Masher for great AoE abilities through most of the game, and this character can still become a Hero class later (which also emphasizes AoE attacks) as long as you choose a third Tier 2 class to master. This character, instead of starting as Priest, can start as a Heal Slime to learn healing abilities that way as well as get an early Multiheal (which has the benefit of carrying over to any class as a monster ability).

Hubble present day spawns MKSES pretty frequently

MoonFrog

Metal King Slimes are wonderful creatures, yes. Makes you wonder if the God or Goddess is not really the greatest benefactor to man kind, but rather demon kind and the Archfiend are.

Taruranto

So I just cleared out Alltrades Abbey.

What are the most broken job combinations?

Champion's path is overall the best path as it has no dead end jobs and allows you to access to Hero.

Corsair gets sword dance pretty early, but it's a dead end job. Well, it still works for unlocking hero.

Personally, I barely used magic outside of buffs and debuffs in this remake, the damage output just can't compare with Multifirst/Sword Dance/Blade of Ultimate Power. Well, I guess summons are nice.

If you plan to unlock druids you'll need to level that character in the Healslime class as Druids have no native healing.

dan2026

I am just not feeling this game at all.
I am quite a few hours in and everything just feels so bland and empty.

Like you go to an island and all that is there is 5 houses and 4 trees.
There is just nothing there. Everything is so empty and feels so pointless.

I feel like I must be missing something.

ghibli99

One thing I'm enjoying much more this time are the individual stories. I think I was so taken aback by the lo-fi everything of the PS1 version that I didn't appreciate the vignettes as much. This time around, I'm really liking them, and I'm not even to Alltrades yet (about 20 hours in). It almost feels like a completely different game this time around. I was hoping I'd be done with this by the time WoFF came out, but yeah, not even close. LOL

There are two different world map views, one is the zoomed in view which has the spaced out trees and monsters on the map and the loading zones between areas, and then there's a view for when you're in a vehicle that shows all of the world map and the trees are in clumps. Needless to say I find that the zoomed out world map makes it easier to appreciate the game world.

Daouzin

Do you speak with the NPCs and explore the cities for all the random items?

The game's charm is in the interactions you have in the towns and the NPCs. Tons of RPGs have trained us to ignore NPCs because they are boring, but in DQ games the NPCs are really really well done.

If you aren't getting anything out the NPCs, I'm not really sure what to tell you.

Focus less on the amount of stuff and more about the quality of the stuff that is there.

Do you speak with the NPCs and explore the cities for all the random items?

The game's charm is in the interactions you have in the towns and the NPCs. Tons of RPGs have trained us to ignore NPCs because they are boring, but in DQ games the NPCs are really really well done.

If you aren't getting anything out the NPCs, I'm not really sure what to tell you.

Focus less on the amount of stuff and more about the quality of the stuff that is there.

I agree. There are only three RPGs I've played where I enjoyed the NPCs.

1 - Dragon Quest series
2- Mother series
3 - Final Fantasy VII

Pokemon has the worst NPCs

Ladekabel

I finished the
Hubble kingdom past and present and now I'm kinda out of fragments. I son't know where to find them or how to get there. I know there is one at Maximo's but I searched the whole place and I can't find it. And there are the walled of islands near Wetlock but I don't know how to get in there. I went through two portals at the shrine and found prism dew. What do I do with that.

I finished the
Hubble kingdom past and present and now I'm kinda out of fragments. I son't know where to find them or how to get there. I know there is one at Maximo's but I searched the whole place and I can't find it. And there are the walled of islands near Wetlock but I don't know how to get in there. I went through two portals at the shrine and found prism dew. What do I do with that.

maximo is for post game content

nickgia

Need help!
I finished the Grotta del Sigeillo quest and got the tablet from the human demon but now I cannot progress because I can't complete any of the tablets. On the"Next Tablet Fragment" it just says that its in the heart of Grotta. Am I'm missing something here?

Never mind forgot I missed one in the past.

Biske

This is the reason why I haven't bought this game, even though I'm a big DQ fan. DQVII was already my least favorite modern one, and the thing I disliked most isn't fixed in the remake. I'd rather replay one of the other ones over VII. I've never played VIII though, looking forward to that one.

I really like the game and they've done a lot of great things with this remake, that makes it over all better than the original.

But the game really wears on you with its "hey go here" like there are for real times where you are in a town and they person is like "hey come meet me out side so I can give you this thing"

Like fucking really? Thats a minor thing compared to the severe "go up the mountain, oh hey welcome back, oh you know what, need to go back again" repeat repeat. But it really shows the main progression of this game.

Its gotten to the point where I am realizing I have missed puzzle pieces that you have to get by back tracking, cause I'm fuckin sick of back tracking.

Makes me realize how much I loved playing 5. Shit was direct, was a moving fun story, and didn't fuck with you constantly.

In a strange way now that I am thinking about it here, and trying to cobble together why my memories of this were so much better, is I think in the new game its so clear they were trying to speed things up, but just couldn't do it, where as the PSX version, was just honestly a big long game, so fuck you and play it. I can appreciate that kind of honesty.

But the new games "hey we cut some shit, not so bad right right?" gets more aggravating. Cause they cheapen the experience of the game, but its still tedious. Sped up tedium.

B.K.

I have been stuck on
Setesh
for the last three days. He'd is impossible to kill. It's making me want to quit the game.

NolbertoS

Someone needs to mod this back into the game.

Ugh, thanks for reminding me. I remember that cheesy model for The dance. I'd rather keep the dance 3DS remake dance instead of the poor FMV back in the day. I definitely don't miss that. Actually I'm thinking of putting my DQVII PSX copy up for eBay now. Didn't think I'd prefer 3DS remake overall now.

I agree that DQ7's pacing gets really bad at times. Not that it personally bothered me, but I can tell that it makes it a difficult game to recommend since most of the other games make a better impression for anyone new to the series.

Also, the speedrun for DQ7 on PS1 is like 15 hours or something like that, and the speedrun for the 3DS version is 19 hours or so. They tried to cut some content to make things go smoothly but it didn't outweigh slower menus and more class grinding necessary, it seems.

Surely I get the fragment sooner... or?

You need a certain amount of medals to get it, I forget if it was 85 or not, but even if you did get the fragment you can't get another fragment needed to enter the postgame dungeon until after you beat the final boss.

Ladekabel

You need a certain amount of medals to get it, I forget if it was 85 or not, but even if you did get the fragment you can't get another fragment needed to enter the postgame dungeon until after you beat the final boss.

Okay. that still leaves me with no fragments though.

Tizoc

Beat the game in under 75 hours
Final boss was decent but i went in with mervyn and aisha being tier 2 monster mashers :p

Edit: btw where can i find king scoober and the coral cave again?

Ladekabel

I am willing to bet 15 gold pieces that you don't have the fragment in the Past Desert Palace

If you mean the
Temple Palace in the region where the Likeness is
then you lost 15 gold.

Edit: Or not. Poster under me said something about info. There was something about a hidden passage.

Daouzin

Okay. that still leaves me with no fragments though.

I was stuck right after Hubble for a moment as well. Just finished that arc a few days ago.

Basically once you're done with that instead of talking to the fragment bug/fairy(?) go to you menu and go to info and then go to fragments.

You will be told that you have an important person waiting for you North West of Estard Castle.

If it doesn't say this you may not have found the musician in Modern Hubble.

Once you do that you get a hint that you need to find modern day
Roamers

Go South of where Keifer is buried in the modern day. Roamers now have their tents up.

Top Bottom