• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Ydelnae

Is there any reason why you can't quick save during the final dungeon? I have to leave and I don't know if the 3DS battery will last on wait mode until later today.

Arkeband

Banned
Is there any reason why you can't quick save during the final dungeon? I have to leave and I don't know if the 3DS battery will last on wait mode until later today.

Poor game design, just Evac and quick save outside. Getting back to where you were shouldn't take long.

Linkura

No idea; probably the same reason they randomly disable it in other areas of the game. It's absurdly inconsistent.

Pyrrhus

There's nothing wrong with the design of the menu system. In fact, the way the cursor memory works in the game makes it very efficient to perform any of the tasks you need to do with it. The real problem is that the western version of the game introduces a ton of menu slowdown which makes it a chore to use.

What's up with this, actually? Why is it slower? Is it because they're applying a patch or something rather than displaying just plain text?

Daouzin

It's probably the specific room you're in. I've had this issue come up a few times and it always get resolved by trying a different room.

I noticed you can't save in the following rooms:
+Where there was once a puzzle, or is an active puzzle
+Where a story sequence happens
+if it's a boss room or special encounter room.

Try going back a room or two.

It's always made intuitive sense to me where you can or cannot quick save. I always know when it won't work, but I try it out to know for sure.

Was Gracos V nerfed? Because I had no problem dealing with it at Level 24, and I know that people struggled with it in the PS1 game that they ended up grinding to 30. MC was Hero (maxed), Maribel = Druid (maxed), Ruff = Champion (job level 6). Took me maybe 5 turns total.

Also, is there anything I need to look out for when I reach
Nottagen
? I ask because I know there's supposed to be something happening in that area.

Was Gracos V nerfed? Because I had no problem dealing with it at Level 24, and I know that people struggled with it in the PS1 game that they ended up grinding to 30. MC was Hero (maxed), Maribel = Druid (maxed), Ruff = Champion (job level 6). Took me maybe 5 turns total.

Also, is there anything I need to look out for when I reach
Nottagen
? I ask because I know there's supposed to be something happening in that area.

Grinding to 30 would be overkill but no he wasn't nerfed. Though your classes are pretty insane. By the time I beat the final boss I had basically just unlocked Hero and Maribel hadn't even unlocked Druid yet(despite making a bee-line through the requirements to it)

And on the PS1 version with less battles and stricter requirements, you probably only have maybe a single intermediate class maxed by that point at most(not to mention that the intermediate classes give much less skills in the PS1 version to make up for the fact that their skills are permanent) so naturally it would be harder in that situation.

Aeana

What's up with this, actually? Why is it slower? Is it because they're applying a patch or something rather than displaying just plain text?

I don't really know. My first thought is that it's something in their font drawing routine, but honestly, the Japanese version was doing more, especially for dialog where it displayed furigana above the characters. I guess it's possible that they're assembling blocks on the fly Mother 3 style in order to save memory and that's slowing it down. But that's just a guess.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Started playing and just got to the first battle, I know the intro was 'cut' in this version but I don't like it nearly as much as the original game. They seemed to cut out a lot of the more interesting parts (temple exploration and puzzle solving) but kept in all of the backtracking. Ohhh well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm glad this game doesn't drain my OG 3DS' battery quickly... Unlike AA6. :/

I hope DQVIII doesn't drain it fast though.

Edit: Question about The Haven
has it changed significantly? It seems like recruiting the many amount of NPCs is gone and has been more... Streamlined?

Also
when does the Monster Park open? I seem to be recruiting monsters but I can't find them.

I'm glad this game doesn't drain my OG 3DS' battery quickly... Unlike AA6. :/

I hope DQVIII doesn't drain it fast though.

Edit: Question about The Haven
has it changed significantly? It seems like recruiting the many amount of NPCs is gone and has been more... Streamlined?

Also
when does the Monster Park open? I seem to be recruiting monsters but I can't find them.

The Haven is radically different from the psx version. I don't think the final version of the town is as cool as the psx

Taruranto

Last half of the game spoiler:

Is it possible to access to the tablet dungeons and change vocations once Estard gets stuck in the demon realm? I know the tablets sharing functions NPCs are in Estard church.

Last half of the game spoiler:

Is it possible to access to the tablet dungeons and change vocations once Estard gets stuck in the demon realm? I know the tablets sharing functions NPCs are in Estard church.

I'm in this section of the game as well and I think I'm done with the game. At least for now.

The backtracking in this game is awful. Go visit the dwarves for the 4th or 5th time! But this time, you're alone! Haha! Isn't this fun!

Taruranto

I'm in this section of the game as well and I think I'm done with the game. At least for now.

The backtracking in this game is awful. Go visit the dwarves for the 4th or 5th time! But this time, you're alone! Haha! Isn't this fun!

To be honest that part made me question, is Dragon Quest VII a good remake?

Like, your game is a bazillion of hours long even without all the padding, you have the ability to remove it, why not do it? Does anyone feel like having climbing Providence's mountain four times or going to the dwarves to get permission actually improves anything?

They already destroyed the intro for a more streamlined experience, why not change the stuff that it's actually annoying and pointless.

Linkura

You're pretty close to the end though. :/ But yeah, the backtracking is terrible for sure.

rpmurphy

To be honest that part made me question, is Dragon Quest VII a good remake?

Like, your game is a bazillion of hours long even without all the padding, you have the ability to remove it, why not do it? Does anyone feel like having climbing Providence's mountain four times or going to the dwarves to get permission actually improves anything?

They already destroyed the intro for a more streamlined experience, why not change the stuff that it's actually annoying and pointless.
Some of the backtracking perhaps, but like I don't see that visiting the Buccanham king is of no worth. It gives reason to flesh out the world and provide town NPCs new dialogue after certain story events occur. That's a huge appeal for story-heavy RPGs. It's far more annoying to me going back to a town I think would have changed after critical events but the townspeople still remain as if the world had not moved one day. Typically without story-driven reasons to bring you back there, developers are not going to see a need to go that extra mile.

Taruranto

Some of the backtracking perhaps, but like I don't see that visiting the Buccanham king is of no worth. It gives reason to flesh out the world and provide town NPCs new dialogue after certain story events occur. That's a huge appeal for story-heavy RPGs. It's far more annoying to me going back to a town I think would have changed after critical events but the townspeople still remain as if the world had not moved one day. Typically without story-driven reasons to bring you back there, developers are not going to see a need to go that extra mile.

No reason to make that mandatory, make it an optional scene the player can see if they go back there on their own, or make it a mandatory scene in town using the NPC on the way.

Doing a whole dungeon again (Because you already went there 3-4 times) alone doesn't really add anything but padding.

Taruranto

It's any tablet world that has a cutscene you can go back to with a party member you're not supposed to have at that point.

Correct, but I don't think
Keifer
tablets count.

Just in case, DON'T save if you notice your party suddenly has 3 party members instead of 4. Also you can avoid the bug by going back there with the "correct" party composition, IIRC.

Arkeband

Banned
The three new tablets up for download are allright, the rewards are:

Super Seed of Resilience
Falcon sword
MAX power shield

The second one is pretty easy, so it's basically a late game item you can nab before you'd otherwise get access to it.

Croc

Banned
I took a little break from this game and need a quick tip to jump back in. I'm right before getting Maribel back. What's the best place to grind to prep for the boss under the excavation site?

Rizzi

Thank fuck that boss is dead. Probably would have been easier if my party wasn't warrior, mage and thief but oh well it worked eventually.

Rodin

Thanks for the answers. I'm currently in
Regenstein
and holy fuck at that atmosphere. Really, really enjoying the game so far.

A small complaint i have is that having to go through some dungeons again to find stuff after i already completed them is a slight annoyance, but not a deal breaker.

Gah, just got wiped out for the first time by the boss of Aeolus Vale. Went back to fight him and got wiped out again. TWICE! Losing Maribel is making this fight tough as I don't really have a healer. Should I grind a bit or keep trying? The second fight my entire party got put to sleep by his minions and that sealed it, I was doing alright until that point...

That's the third time I've lost. Another bunch of sleep bullshit. All my party went to sleep, then he summoned another 2, then each turn one of them would put a party member to sleep. A couple rounds later and there's a bunch of multi-hit wind attacks and I'm done.

This fight is complete bullshit.

Edit: Main hero is level 26. Ruff is 24, Merv 23 and Aishe 22. The game has been pretty easy up until this point and I've avoided fights for the most part. Am I under leveled?

Just mastered Gladiator with my hero, Merv mastered theif and one level from mastering sailor, Aishe is one away from mastering warrior and Ruff is 5 star luminary. I think I need to go to Alltrades and turn Ruff into a priest for some healing spells.

Just mastered Gladiator with my hero, Merv mastered theif and one level from mastering sailor, Aishe is one away from mastering warrior and Ruff is 5 star luminary. I think I need to go to Alltrades and turn Ruff into a priest for some healing spells.

Keep Ruff on luminary and have him spam hustle dance.

You're taking mervyn pirate. I think that learns some good aoe skills. HAVE him focus on the ghosts.

Doesn't sound like you have oomph. Shame. Have hero use multifist if he has it. IF not go to knuckle sandwich

Yeah I just beat him haha. This time they only cast sleep twice, the first one only hitting Ruff and the second time it didn't work on anyone. Thank god I really didn't want to be forced to grind.

Who here has leveled up all classes for all characters? How time consuming was it and does it break the game? The "OCD" part of me doesn't think it can take grinding and leveling all 30 classes for each character separately, the game is long enough by itself and that just sounds tedious and overwhelming.

Who here has leveled up all classes for all characters? How time consuming was it and does it break the game? The "OCD" part of me doesn't think it can take grinding and leveling all 30 classes for each character separately, the game is long enough by itself and that just sounds tedious and overwhelming.

My friend did it on the psx version. I have no clue how long it took him though. He maxed out the clock

Top Bottom