• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Comes to PC This January

Yes, but that isn't going to be on the winter sale. I'm thinking they didn't put the game for preorder yet because they are holding off until the sale to have like a 20% discount and get a immense crapload of sales out of the gate. The fact that they recently fixed the unavailability of the game in Asian countries also supports this theory.
Well Yall know more than I do in that regard so I'll accept your theory!

Tempted to buy it if that's the case but the rest of my purchases will be limited :(

Oh god. Sorcerer or Archer, I can't decide D:

sorcerer you'll have the cool spells and shit but you'll be hands off in boss battles

archer/rogue you'll be god damn attack on titan climbing on big motherfuckers, when they shake you off you jump in mid air, land on their god damn head and stab their eyes as if it was a pinata.

Cyrano

sorcerer you'll have the cool spells and shit but you'll be hands off in boss battles

archer/rogue you'll be god damn attack on titan climbing on big motherfuckers, when they shake you off you jump in mid air, land on their god damn head and stab their eyes as if it was a pinata.
I mean that's cool, and imma let you finish, but TORNADOES.

Also,
Ew4HVaS.gif

I like the useless cast light spell of the Magic Archer but the last few skills you get as a standard Ranger are killer. The one that launches your arrow and you can control it just wipes entire boss bars off even on hard.

Okay, these guys are putting far more effort into this port than I had hoped for. Tons of graphical options in there. Great to see such support for PC from Capcom.

I like the useless cast light spell of the Magic Archer but the last few skills you get as a standard Ranger are killer. The one that launches your arrow and you can control it just wipes entire boss bars off even on hard.

i remember thinking the standard ranger was great, then the assassin (?) class was shown to me and that was straight up broken.

Cyrano

I mean, on BBI Cast Light is actually really useful. It's also fun in caves (and assuming there will be a lighting mod, may be even more useful).

And thus, you choose the Magick Archer. :)

You don't get the really big spells as MA though, just the fireballs and the ice thingies and what not. Plus using a staff means you can't use the daggers, and the daggers are literally the best part of magick archer. Self immolation and jump on shit then poke them in the eye while you're burning them.

Sorcerer is pretty cool and I had fun when I played one for a while, but it feels fairly reliant on your pawns to distract stuff and sometimes a bit boring. That's the one thing DDO did better, they made the casters have some sort of minigame to charge spells, so it wasn't just holding a button while walking around until the bars are filled.

It's very powerful though, especially if you use a sorcerer pawn because of spell syncing(if you cast the same spells, the person who starts casting 2nd automatically gets his charge to the other person's level, so for slow casting spells you can spam the smaller versions by syncing with your pawn constantly, then unleash the big one right after without charging the entire time).

I'll probably be going Mystic Knight, although I'm not too sure due to how OP cannons are. Maybe warrior if the additional skills can be modded in so they can have 6 instead of 3.

i remember thinking the standard ranger was great, then the assassin (?) class was shown to me and that was straight up broken.
I'll have to give Assassin a go, I just love the bows so much
I mean, on BBI Cast Light is actually really useful. It's also fun in caves (and assuming there will be a lighting mod, may be even more useful).
It being fun and pretty is why I kept in on stock.

I'll have to give Assassin a go, I just love the bows so much

It being fun and pretty is why I kept in on stock.

Assassins have bows. They're basically Strider+Fighter, you can play sword+shield or dagger+bow, with some twists obviously. If you play the strider type assassin it very much plays like your typical strider with like attackspeed buff and poison attacks and I forgot if there's any difference on the bow skills.

MUnited83

For you.
Well Yall know more than I do in that regard so I'll accept your theory!

Tempted to buy it if that's the case but the rest of my purchases will be limited :(

Well, it is just a theory, but it would be nice :p. Regardless, the fact that they finally fixed the unavailability in the Asian stores might mean the preorder will go up anyways even if it's not a Sale deal.

I never played the dark arisen expansion but I'm really hoping that they added more armor variety for light armor types.

I remember hating everything I had to wear up until end game where you could buy a ninja outfit.

I never played the dark arisen expansion but I'm really hoping that they added more armor variety for light armor types.

I remember hating everything I had to wear up until end game where you could buy a ninja outfit.

Think the only thing Dark Arisen changed to the base game was making teleport crystals more common and teleport stones cheaper. Armor is still the same.

Cyrano

Think the only thing Dark Arisen changed to the base game was making teleport crystals more common and teleport stones cheaper. Armor is still the same.
Yeah, not a lot of changes to the base game. Tons of new stuff, primarily weapons/armors/items, in BBI.

Tizoc

Heard rumors preorder may go up today
Either way i preorder during winter seal which would b the best time to promote buying it.

The game looks really impressive for a last gen title. Did it look this good on consoles too?

Generally the same but at sub 720p...but I remember first playing it several years ago and thinking favorably of it's visuals.

Games like dragons dogma definitely represented the last life line of the Xbox 360 though.

I put so many hours into this game, glad you guys finally get to play it after so long.

Also go buy devil may cry 4 special edition on steam. Make yourself useful pc GAF so I get my DMC5.

Mifec

I just wish you can have more than 3 skills on warrior. :(

Probably my biggest concern. I didn't get far into it on PS3 because the game was a disaster technically but now that I can finally play it hearing warrior is the most boring class makes me feel bad tbh.

Arklite

Is this anything like Dark Souls? Absolutely hated that game, overtly hard because of poor mechanics.

There's big difficulty spikes with bandits early on, but only early on. After that you'll probably be wishing for stronger foes. Endgame and Dark Arisen content deliver on that later.

What's the multiplayer like in this game, if any?

There's none, other than the ability to use other people's main pawns as your secondary pawns(basically AI group members). This can make the game super easy if you use a high level friend's pawn.

Well there's technically Ur's Dragon too, which has some weird world synced progress system. You fight the dragon yourself for a limited amount of time(like 10mins or whatever), and everyone does the same, and the total damage done gets added to some server and once you've dealt enough total damage to it, when you kill it you get the loot. Then it resets, starts a new generation with more health, and keeps increasing like that. It's a weird system, you can turn it off and play offline and get some of the rewards like that, but iirc some were locked to only the online version(however they were tradeable and also outclassed by Dark Arisen loot)

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I was lucky enough to get the chance to record a couple of short videos of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WHegzVujqE - Video guide on how to collect apples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2v-FYCN72M - Combat montage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SrIFyfHTpU - Sorcerer spell montage. 60fps bolide!

Did I mention 60fps bolide? Because I was lying! When playing the game it's actually 144fps bolide! *swoons*

Even though I really like using magic and stuff, I rarely play as a Sorcerer because I'm more into close combat with swords etc. but this does looks great and tempting to play as a Sorcerer in one of my playthrough in the future.

There's none, other than the ability to use other people's main pawns as your secondary pawns(basically AI group members). This can make the game super easy if you use a high level friend's pawn.

Well there's technically Ur's Dragon too, which has some weird world synced progress system. You fight the dragon yourself for a limited amount of time(like 10mins or whatever), and everyone does the same, and the total damage done gets added to some server and once you've dealt enough total damage to it, when you kill it you get the loot. Then it resets, starts a new generation with more health, and keeps increasing like that. It's a weird system, you can turn it off and play offline and get some of the rewards like that, but iirc some were locked to only the online version(however they were tradeable and also outclassed by Dark Arisen loot)

I see. Thanks for the info!

I assume this contains the nun-costume and infinite ferry-stone right from the get-go?

Bonus costumes and the infinite ferry-stone was a bonus for people who already had a vanilla save-file then played dark-arisen combining the vanilla save-file into the dark-arisen one.

Zexen

I was lucky enough to get the chance to record a couple of short videos of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WHegzVujqE - Video guide on how to collect apples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2v-FYCN72M - Combat montage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SrIFyfHTpU - Sorcerer spell montage. 60fps bolide!

Did I mention 60fps bolide? Because I was lying! When playing the game it's actually 144fps bolide! *swoons*
Damn, now I'll have to choose between UHD 60 fps or 144 fps on a lower resolution. Unless SLI is supported and I could have both.

Top Bottom