• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Comes to PC This January

Durante

These kind of games need analog control, you can play with digital inputs, but they are objectively worse.
I'll have to play it first to see if I agree with that. People say it about a lot of third person games, but often it's just wrong.

The thing is, even though the WASD keys are digital, between some time division multiplexing and the analog and highly fast and accurate directional control afforded by the mouse you can pull off extremely precise movement on with it... provided, of course, that the implementation is up to the task.

prudislav

These kind of games need analog control, you can play with digital inputs, but they are objectively worse.
For me its ll about camera conrol , yeah wasd is digital input , but mouse and freecamera, if properly implemented is for me just much more precise than paddling with the sticks. I dont feel the need for analog control in 3rd person action games as its not natural to me as i am used to wasd+mouse
I guess i just don't feel in control with gamepad without easy control of camera
and its what i am really struggling with since i got gamepad and can't deal with it so far even in games like Dark Souls

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Weird seeing all the hype here now cuz the OT was like dead very soon when the game launched and started picking up when people realized "Hey, this game is actually fucking good". Wish it sold more, we would have gotten a proper sequel by now.

Oh my gosh DD on my laptop...DD everywhere i go...?
GIF-Glad-Joy-happy-excited-Jim-Carrey-GIF.gif

Perfect reaction.

Mozendo

Okay. I remember MT 1 games like Lost Planet running freakishly well, even on weaker systems. Have the other MT 2 games held up to that standard?

Resident Evil 6 surely does.
I wouldn't be surprised if my GTX 770 could do 2160p at 60fps on high/very high settings because everything is just so smooth

Mifec

Sure but I doubt my card is up to snuff (GTX 560). I tried to use GeDoSaTo with Dark Souls 2 once and increase the resolution beyond 1080p and the game ran so slow it almost crashed, lol. Not gonna try that again.

Thus the good card comment, well whenever you upgrade you're still gonna have the game and can enjoy it downsampled then.

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
I'm a HUGE fan of this game which caught me by surprise back when it came out. One thing that really bummed me out though is that there were not more areas to explore and the world wasn't as big as I anticipated it would be.

My question is, now that this is coming to PC, will modders be able to create new areas to explore similar (but of course not as grand ) to what we have seen done in the elder scrolls games?

I know most are talking about hd mods to up the textures but I would much prefer some user created land masses to go explore. I'd lose my mind if that is possible.

Parsnip

I'm a HUGE fan of this game which caught me by surprise back when it came out. One thing that really bummed me out though is that there were not more areas to explore and the world wasn't as big as I anticipated it would be.

My question is, now that this is coming to PC, will modders be able to create new areas to explore similar (but of course not as grand ) to what we have seen done in the elder scrolls games?

I know most are talking about hd mods to up the textures but I would much prefer some user created land masses to go explore. I'd lose my mind if that is possible.

If other MT Framework games are anything to go by, don't hold your breath. The community made tools are really kind of only good for replacing assets like textures and character models.

It would be super rad if Capcom embraced that community more and released some kind of official tools to facilitate more grander mods, but I don't see that happening any time soon unfortunately.

Astarte

If other MT Framework games are anything to go by, don't hold your breath. The community made tools are really kind of only good for replacing assets like textures and character models.

It would be super rad if Capcom embraced that community more and released some kind of official tools to facilitate more grander mods, but I don't see that happening any time soon unfortunately.

All I need is WIND IS PUSHING ME and rainbow weapon trails

Can't wait for this. I always knew this one will come for the PC and waited. Now real fun begins! Smooth DG experience! Hope for 4k/60fps with gtx970.

c0Zm1c

I'll have to play it first to see if I agree with that. People say it about a lot of third person games, but often it's just wrong.

The thing is, even though the WASD keys are digital, between some time division multiplexing and the analog and highly fast and accurate directional control afforded by the mouse you can pull off extremely precise movement on with it... provided, of course, that the implementation is up to the task.

For me its ll about camera conrol , yeah wasd is digital input , but mouse and freecamera, if properly implemented is for me just much more precise than paddling with the sticks. I dont feel the need for analog control in 3rd person action games as its not natural to me as i am used to wasd+mouse
I guess i just don't feel in control with gamepad without easy control of camera
and its what i am really struggling with since i got gamepad and can't deal with it so far even in games like Dark Souls

This is also the case for me too. It's kind of strange when people often say, insist even, that this or that third-person game doesn't work well with keyboard and mouse, and I'm charging through said games without a single problem!

Sblargh

Banned
So, people in this thread generally dislike the comparison with the Souls game, but what about difficulty? Is it hard? Punishing? Fair? Are there builds or playstyles that make the game clearly easier?

So, people in this thread generally dislike the comparison with the Souls game, but what about difficulty? Is it hard? Punishing? Fair? Are there builds or playstyles that make the game clearly easier?

No where near as hard as Soul's games. A couple of bosses might be pushing it a bit but I don't think I ever really struggled on Hard Mode.

Everfall and Bitterblack Isle are different stories and feature content typically much tougher then anything you'll find in the main game.

UrbanRats

Over all it's a fairly easy game.
It starts decently challenging (but not hard) it gets piss easy for hours, then ramps up the difficulty a lot in the end game/expansion, but by that time you can deal with it fairly well.

Parsnip

All I need is WIND IS PUSHING ME and rainbow weapon trails

Someone made a mod for RE Remake Remaster that replaced all the badly pitched music tracks with correctly pitched tracks from the soundtrack. So unless Capcom makes huge changes to the package formats they use in these games, you are probably getting that other request at least. :p

EGOMON

you should..it's like a whole new experience with combat, it'll taint you badly though...once you battle in this game and mount beast everything else in other games will seem meh. lol
I can't believe how this game had the same impact on all of us its just everything everyone say about it is exactly how i felt.

jgwhiteus

I've had Dark Arisen sitting in my PS3 backlog for ages (I completed the base game a while ago), and I finally got around to finishing the extra dungeon - quite a lot of tough fights, and I ended up totally cheesing some monsters and bosses (love the Ranger's tenfold flurry / blast arrow combo). But it gave me renewed appreciation for the variety of combat tactics - love how different class skill-sets will make for completely different fights.

That being said, I'd LOVE it if some modders (or Capcom) made some improvements with the PC version:

- multiple save files - god I hate how the game locks you into stuff by auto-saving at the most inopportune times, and I hate "losing" characters with each new game. It'd be great to try out different Arisen / pawn builds without completely erasing your file - let me create an alternate save at least. In the same vein, can there be a quick save / load? Saving / loading seems to take ages on PS3, and I'm not exactly sure why.

- "come when you're called" - pawns can have some pretty idiotic AI sometimes, but one of the worst examples is when you order them to follow you, and they just dawdle around and ignore you so they can get slaughtered by enemies... better pawn AI in general would be great, but that seems like a tall order (but hey, maybe someone's up for it).

- changing vocations / skills on the fly - I guess this would be a cheat mod, but I hate it when you're exploring and you can't go further because you need a different class skill like levitate or double jump, and you end up having to go back to an inn... would be super convenient to have a mechanic where you could change your vocation or skill-set in more places, maybe at the cost of discipline or something so it's not completely abused (or maybe the penalty's built-in since you have to carry other vocations' equipment around)

- And I wouldn't mind some improvements to the romance mechanics.

These are just some minor annoyances in an otherwise fantastic game (many of which were already addressed by Dark Arisen, e.g. more portcrystals), and I hope the PC version will give modders / Capcom the opportunity to improve on it.

epmode

At the very least, the PC version will allow you to manually back up your save file, even if the game itself isn't programmed to do so.

Weird seeing all the hype here now cuz the OT was like dead very soon when the game launched and started picking up when people realized "Hey, this game is actually fucking good". Wish it sold more, we would have gotten a proper sequel by now.

IIRC it sold pretty well, maybe 2 million? I think the lack of proper sequel probably has more to do with Capcom's..... interesting? game development strategy.

SparkTR

IIRC it sold pretty well, maybe 2 million? I think the lack of proper sequel probably has more to do with Capcom's..... interesting? game development strategy.

The game was likely the most expensive project Capcom ever undertook, it was under development for three years with a staff of 150 people, that's more than Bethesda had with Skyrim. 2 million including the sales of an expansion is as disappointing as you could hope for a game like that, the only region it sold well in was Japan.

Also for what it's worth, I remember Patrick Klepeck saying that there was a rumor that Capcom were shopping DD2 around at a Gamescom or E3 a couple of years ago. Nothing came of that so I assume they cut their losses and made DDO instead.

Sanctuary

To this day, I still have absolutely no idea why it gets compared to Souls games in terms of difficulty. In a normal playthrough they really are nothing alike in terms of difficulty, and that includes the post-game stuff that so many seem to think is some huge difficulty spike (it's not). The gameplay is entirely different. Slow and methodical, vs a 3D update to the arcade beat 'em ups of the past. The only area where you could truthfully say it's like a Souls game would be some aspects of the atmosphere, especially at night, some dungeon aesthetics and especially Bitterblack Isle.

you should..it's like a whole new experience with combat, it'll taint you badly though...once you battle in this game and mount beast everything else in other games will seem meh. lol

Only if you don't like Souls gameplay. Both of them play very differently, and both of them have the best combat outside of fighting games.

I've had Dark Arisen sitting in my PS3 backlog for ages (I completed the base game a while ago), and I finally got around to finishing the extra dungeon - quite a lot of tough fights, and I ended up totally cheesing some monsters and bosses (love the Ranger's tenfold flurry / blast arrow combo). But it gave me renewed appreciation for the variety of combat tactics - love how different class skill-sets will make for completely different fights.

That being said, I'd LOVE it if some modders (or Capcom) made some improvements with the PC version:

- multiple save files - god I hate how the game locks you into stuff by auto-saving at the most inopportune times, and I hate "losing" characters with each new game. It'd be great to try out different Arisen / pawn builds without completely erasing your file - let me create an alternate save at least. In the same vein, can there be a quick save / load? Saving / loading seems to take ages on PS3, and I'm not exactly sure why.

- "come when you're called" - pawns can have some pretty idiotic AI sometimes, but one of the worst examples is when you order them to follow you, and they just dawdle around and ignore you so they can get slaughtered by enemies... better pawn AI in general would be great, but that seems like a tall order (but hey, maybe someone's up for it).

- changing vocations / skills on the fly - I guess this would be a cheat mod, but I hate it when you're exploring and you can't go further because you need a different class skill like levitate or double jump, and you end up having to go back to an inn... would be super convenient to have a mechanic where you could change your vocation or skill-set in more places, maybe at the cost of discipline or something so it's not completely abused (or maybe the penalty's built-in since you have to carry other vocations' equipment around)

- And I wouldn't mind some improvements to the romance mechanics.

These are just some minor annoyances in an otherwise fantastic game (many of which were already addressed by Dark Arisen, e.g. more portcrystals), and I hope the PC version will give modders / Capcom the opportunity to improve on it.

The most useful mod ever would be the "shut the fuck up already, I KNOW wolves hunt in packs!" mod.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The only area where you could truthfully say it's like a Souls game would be some aspects of the atmosphere, especially at night, some dungeon aesthetics and especially Bitterblack Isle.

Yeah, only BBI reminded me heavily of Souls, both in design and difficulty.

The one thing I would most like to see changed in DD, apart from more randomized enemy spawns (specifically the tougher monsters like griffins or metal golems), would be to make all of the weapons as unique as possible. Basically make it more like Souls (yeah, yeah, I know ...), where just about each weapon is viable, to some degree, for an entire playthrough. In DD, there's no reason at all to continue using a starting or mid-tier sword or whatever when there's a more expensive one available, because that more expensive one is quite simply a copy-paste job but with higher damage output. A mod that adjusted different variables like attack speed, status effects, or even moveset (not very feasible, but it's nice to dream) to introduce some variety within a class of weapons would be fantastic, in my opinion.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd also say it can be Souls like it that it has themes of "circular nature" and it's full of weirdo NPCs speaking in vague riddles, at least when it comes to the non-town related plots.

And of course having a strange online system.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DUDE! I haven't paid much attention to this after the announcement but I watched that Beginner's Tips video. Wow! The version this game deserves to be!

Arttemis

Oh man, this surely means a new gen console port is on the cards. This engine and the consoles' architecture stand to make the port equal easy money.

jgwhiteus

The most useful mod ever would be the "shut the fuck up already, I KNOW wolves hunt in packs!" mod.

Yeah, or a "stop telling me to aim for the heart or that you're going to grab hold of its legs; I've already damaged the heart and you're a mage pawn who isn't going to be holding anything" mod.

At the very least, the PC version will allow you to manually back up your save file, even if the game itself isn't programmed to do so.

Yeah, and I imagine even if modders can't change the game code a modder could create an external "save manager" that lets you track and switch between save files... though really an open-world RPG on PC in 2016 not letting you have multiple save files would be kind of ridiculous, if Capcom doesn't end up implementing it.

Sera O

Banned
I love this game so much I will buy it on whatever platform it comes out on.

For new players, the tip I would give is to pay some attention to the pawn system and inclinations, for your pawn and especially for the ones you hire. Pawns gain quest and enemy knowledge when others hire them, which can be useful if you're having trouble. They also "learn" and develop tendencies based on what orders they receive from player characters.

It's a cool system, but the inclination system is the one that can bite you if you don't keep an eye on it. Inclination summarizes the tendencies of a pawn's AI. This is the difference between a scrappy pawn that contributes and a warrior pawn milling around behind your sorcerer while a fight is going on.

It changes according to the commands you/other players using your pawn give, but the issue arises that the 'stay with me' command is always used disproportionately, and each time it is, you get another Guardian point on that pawn - arguably the least useful inclination, depending on player/pawn class. For your main pawn, the easiest thing to do is use potions to get the inclination you want, avoid issuing dpad orders as much as possible, and repotion periodically if you see it change.

This won't help with pawn suicide off precipices in Bitterblack Isle, but in my experience that was pretty unavoidable.

Sanctuary

Multiple save files for the same character might easily be a problem given how the pawn systems online components work.

One area the consoles had an advantage was in this area. Since the game didn't require you to have a premium online account to play, you could create multiple accounts and hire the pawns of your other characters. Plus, you could also send your new pawn to get hired by one of your other characters and have the other character gift them gear for your new main character to swipe if you wanted.

Save files were not a problem either, and they shouldn't be here. I never actually had any reason to pick an earlier save, so I have no idea how, or if that would actually affect a pawn (assuming it would just use whatever is the highest level for that account), but backing up saves was pretty easy.

Gren

Found something interesting today

H9OjVuz.jpg
Interesting. I had heard of min-maxing & was considering it for this game, as I'd have to start from scratch anyways. But having read that, I'll just go ahead & enjoy using all the vocations like I did back on console :)

Elman

H9OjVuz.jpg

This is a very important post. For anyone new to Dragon's Dogma, just play as the vocation you like best. In fact, it's encouraged to switch vocations to find your favorite and earn job traits that work for all vocations.

Playing or grinding through 95% of the game as one vocation just to be the "best" at another is not a good idea.

VariantX

H9OjVuz.jpg

Yep, none of that min-maxing crap matters because it matters infinitely more how skilled you are playing the game itself in terms of its combat than anything else. Its better to think of strategies and effective use of skills in situations than worry about what your character's stat growth will look like in a few levels. Strategy is what lets you get to the top of the hill and beat those bandits that set those boulder traps for you early in the game.

Sectus

Very much agreed with that. It's best to play as whatever class you have fun playing as. And I recommend mixing it up to test out the other playstyles.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

H9OjVuz.jpg
This is a very important post. For anyone new to Dragon's Dogma, just play as the vocation you like best. In fact, it's encouraged to switch vocations to find your favorite and earn job traits that work for all vocations.

Playing or grinding through 95% of the game as one vocation just to be the "best" at another is not a good idea.
Agreed with this and the pic's conclusion. Even on Hard mode, min-maxing is really not necessary to win and gear matters so much more, so why go through a boring slog of a grind when you could be enjoying the game instead?

Moreover, even if you gain a bit of damage output by "min-maxing", you lose out on HP, stamina and decent core skills from other vocations, so in addition to being boring it's really not worth it.

Top Bottom