• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I must be doing something wrong. I'm in post game in the main game at the moment, level 44. Since I have nothing better to do, I've decided to go to Everfall. Killed the eye at the first level after a 20 minutes, but the 2 Cockatrice on the floor below are just destroying me. Also I feel like I'm doing almost no damage whatsoever despite having the strongest magic bow and dagger I could find for sale.

Should I be grinding equipment/levels somewhere else before going to Everfall or what?

Cockatrice are just tough, period. I can't remember my level for Everfall, but my guess would be you need better equipment.

Are you using the weapon you got from the Dragon? Is it fully upgraded?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Cockatrice are just tough, period. I can't remember my level for Everfall, but my guess would be you need better equipment.

Are you using the weapon you got from the Dragon? Is it fully upgraded?
I had to change my weapons, since I've switched from Sorcerer to MA.

Sanctuary

As much as I'm digging the layout of Bitterblack, I hope that with Deep Down Capcom decided to be a bit more original. I don't need another Dark Souls franchise since we already have that, and if I wanted a Bethesda game, I'd play a Bethesda game. Dragon's Dogma excels at the combat at it's companion AI (not stellar, but still probably the best there is atm for an RPG).

What it doesn't do very well is world building. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the way Gransys looks, except that it's so generic and doesn't have it's own identity (not talking about games it borrows from here). Capcom actually made a pretty interesting world with the Breath of Fire games, so I know they are capable of more than this. After a more recent discussion about that where some said they liked the way the world looked, I kept trying to look out for anything interesting while playing this playthrough. There's literally nothing that makes any location standout on the outside. It's too "real" for it's own good and everything is saturated in nothing but brown, green and grey.

I also can't understand the story in vanilla, and I've finished it three times. The entire goal was for you to chase down the dragon that took your heart, getting it back and possibly stopping
(the dragon from destroying all life, oh noez; when all it wants is a single soul?)
or killing the dragon in the process. But then the explanation that's given for why any of that happened in the first place is ludicrous and it's as though
the dragon was simply tired of living and wanted someone to kill him since he couldn't perform suicide. The romance is also completely awkward. To the point in where it's like they are raping your character

burgerdog

LOL, Revenant Wail can stunlock Daimon 2.0 with regular shots up close. That was filthy and I don't feel bad about cheesing him out once I realized this worked on him. Also, why does my regular attack do more damage than tenfold flurry? Makes no fucking sense. Ah well, Daimon 1.0 and 2.0 down to ten minutes tops now.

edit
reloading the game does change up the contents of Daimon's chests.

let me know how that works out, im curious too. moonshimmer pelts are from the giant saurian sages, I think.

Just read that you can Godsbane to change the loot if you don't get what you want.

Also, you can't gift any of the new weapons/armor to others by equipping the stuff to their pawn; you can only gift them the unpurified forms, kind of stupid.

diggler41

What is the point of these Badge of Vows medallions you get? Just sell them for the 5000G or do you get something for getting all 100?

burgerdog

After defeating Grigori.

Don't remember if you get it right away, or when you enter the Everfall again.

Thanks, By the way, the end result of a cursed item is set in stone from the moment you pick it up, it's going to be the same red(fighter, warrior, MK), yellow(strider, ranger, MA), or blue(mages) weapon always. So if you've seen all three results and you don't need it, give that cursed item to a friend.

As much as I'm digging the layout of Bitterblack, I hope that with Deep Down Capcom decided to be a bit more original. I don't need another Dark Souls franchise since we already have that, and if I wanted a Bethesda game, I'd play a Bethesda game. Dragon's Dogma excels at the combat at it's companion AI (not stellar, but still probably the best there is atm for an RPG).

What it doesn't do very well is world building. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the way Gransys looks, except that it's so generic and doesn't have it's own identity (not talking about games it borrows from here). Capcom actually made a pretty interesting world with the Breath of Fire games, so I know they are capable of more than this.

I also can't understand the story in vanilla, and I've finished it three times. The entire goal was for you to chase down the dragon that took your heart, getting it back and possibly stopping
(the dragon from destroying all life, oh noez; when all it wants is a single soul?)
or killing the dragon in the process. But then the explanation that's given for why any of that happened in the first place is ludicrous and it's as though
the dragon was simply tired of living and wanted someone to kill him since he couldn't perform suicide

I really hope they aren't chasing Dark Souls with Deep Down or any potential Dragon's Dogma sequel. This game shines during well animated kinetic group combat, and fights against big beasts who can be climbed and knocked down/hit-stunned, all taking place in wide open spaces, doubly so when both kinds of encounters manage to happen at the same time. Going forward, I think they should lean more on crafting and utilizing a really unique overworld, larger battles, and more interesting characters instead of hardcore dungeon crawling (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

God, I'm finding so many free portcrystals.

You know, I had stopped playing Magick Archer during the main game because it felt too much like easy mode.

But I think for BBI 2.0, it's just what I need.

Nah, that would be assassin.

the dragon was simply tired of living and wanted someone to kill him since he couldn't perform suicide. The romance is also completely awkward. To the point in where it's like they are raping your character

The dragon is the last arisen to challenge the seneschal and fail - he ravages the world to seek an arisen and continue the "endless chain" because he's now bound to the seneschal's will. The seneschal is the one who wants to die, so he continues the cycle by trying to escape from it. The arisen is the only individual in Gransys with a will of his own, because he's the only one controlled by the player. The arisen, dragon, pawns, and seneschal are all the same person being reborn again and again to continue the cycle. Ultimately Gransys exists within a game and the only way to win is to stop playing, i.e. off yourself. The ending is super meta.

LOL, Revenant Wail can stunlock Daimon 2.0 with regular shots up close. That was filthy and I don't feel bad about cheesing him out once I realized this worked on him. Also, why does my regular attack do more damage than tenfold flurry? Makes no fucking sense. Ah well, Daimon 1.0 and 2.0 down to ten minutes tops now.

edit
He deserves to be cheesed. No regrets! I can beat both forms in around 3 minutes now. 1st form actually takes more time

So, are there 3 tiers of new armor on BBI? Anyone know? I've gotten a complete set of new hydra armor that replenishes health (the helmet is totally badass) then I got some Hellfire armor too which is red and a tier above hydra. But then there is a black version of Hellfire that looks same but has different stats.

burgerdog

He deserves to be cheesed. No regrets! I can beat both forms in around 3 minutes now. 1st form actually takes more time

So, are there 3 tiers of new armor on BBI? Anyone know? I've gotten a complete set of new hydra armor that replenishes health (the helmet is totally badass) then I got some Hellfire armor too which is red and a their above hydra. But then there is a black version of Hellfire that looks same but has different stats.

I know of Hellfire, Immortal, Oblivion, and the 13 fabled BBI items. Not sure if there's more.

broham

What it doesn't do very well is world building. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the way Gransys looks, except that it's so generic and doesn't have it's own identity (not talking about games it borrows from here). Capcom actually made a pretty interesting world with the Breath of Fire games, so I know they are capable of more than this. After a more recent discussion about that where some said they liked the way the world looked, I kept trying to look out for anything interesting while playing this playthrough. There's literally nothing that makes any location standout on the outside. It's too "real" for it's own good and everything is saturated in nothing but brown, green and grey.

The big picture goes like this; the arisen is a candidate for godhood. When the current overseer of the world feels it is time they send the dragon into the world to find someone who has the potential to take their place as what is basically god. The dragon is a force of nature. It is a test you must overcome on your way to becoming god.

Sanctuary

Yes! A thousand times, yes! Just got the best MA bow in the game.

I just said "yes" a thousand times when I was finally able to ditch the goddamn Gimble Gyre that I'd been carrying around for like 15+ levels. The magick damage of my daggers was literally 50% higher than my bow; which was completely stupid. Once I
beat Grigori
and finally got the second best vanilla bow, my bow's damage matched my dragonforged daggers. Now things like GeoSaurian's die to one sixfold. Drakes were already relatively easy with my previous bow, but now their health flows like water, so it's pretty easy farming dragonforged gear (especially since you can just run away and save when it's health is low).

The big picture goes like this; the arisen is a candidate for godhood. When the current overseer of the world feels it is time they send the dragon into the world to find someone who has the potential to take their place as what is basically god. The dragon is a force of nature. It is a test you must overcome on your way to becoming god.

Sure, you can rationalize it that way, but it still doesn't make total sense. So basically
the dragon was simply bluffing the entire time? Why does the dragon make deals with other potential Arisen who decide to back down? The Duke was an Arisen who never went for godhood, but instead reveled in his mortal excess, yet the dragon never destroyed the world then so what's different now? Was Grigori actually going to destroy Gransys? Why? So if a new candidate for ascension was found, all is right in the world, but if not, destroy it completely? Uhhh...okay.

burgerdog

I just said "yes" a thousand times when I was finally able to ditch the goddamn Gimble Gyre that I'd been carrying around for like 15+ levels. The magick damage of my daggers was literally 50% higher than my bow; which was completely stupid. Once I
beat Grigori
and finally got the second best vanilla bow, my bow's damage matched my dragonforged daggers. Now things like GeoSaurian's die to one sixfold. Drakes were already relatively easy with my previous bow, but now their health flows like water, so it's pretty easy farming dragonforged gear (especially since you can just run away and save when it's health is low).

This game's progression is unmatched. There were a few points in the game where I thought capcom dropped the ball with DA and BBI, I was ready to call it quits. Kept at it and now BBI is a wonderful playground and I'm mowing everything down.

xCobalt

edit

Hmmm...if your regular attack does more than tenfold flurry, that means each individual arrow of tenfold flurry is weaker than one regular arrow. Then, if you take into account the defense stat of the enemy, that means they could mitigate most of the damage from tenfold flurry but will receive more damage from a regular arrow.

Sanctuary

They still never fixed the UI in this game in regards to stats. If you're missing health, that will clearly show up in the stat menu as your current vs max. Not the same with stamina. If you have the Warrior's Bastion augment, it will be reflected with your defense stat. If you take the Mystic Knight's Fortitude however, it is not.

Also, for all the new MA users out there; skip Conservation. It doesn't do anything at all for Magic Archer bow skills, even though many people recommended it.

burgerdog

Hmmm...if your regular attack does more than tenfold flurry, that means each individual arrow of tenfold flurry is weaker than one regular arrow. Then, if you take into account the defense stat of the enemy, that means they could mitigate most of the damage from tenfold flurry but will receive more damage from a regular arrow.

That makes sense, one arrow does about 5% of one health bar. I'm not sure if tenfold even moved his health bar, :l

Ahh, those guys are hard to come by. Still need to find Wargs somehow, need a Mottled Leather.
I just looked in my stats, I've only killed 3 Giant Saurian Sages total. What the hell. Not sure where they are located
I had to change my weapons, since I've switched from Sorcerer to MA.
that's probably part of the problem. The Dragon weapon you get is far and away better than what you'll buy at the store. Its gonna be struggle in Everfall with inferior gear. Beating the Ur-Dragon gives the best weapons in vanilla DD, but that will be a challenge too. Everfall has good gear as well, you might just need to grid it til you find some. Bailout out of fights with bosses that are too tough and keep pushing forward.

How on earth do you play strider vs the strong bandits with the shields?

I have no dodge or roll or block , they can one shot me in one combo (I'm heading to witchwood for an early quest before grand soren) and I never use my bow because it does maybe 5 percent of the dmg my daggers do if that.

So, as I've said before, I'm new to this game. The BBI quest path seemed to open up relatively early for me, should I start it now? I view it as an expansion, so my natural inclination would be to do it at the very end after I finish the main vanilla game. Thoughts? Inputs?

I'm at level 9, and I refuse to use stupidly high level friend pawns so, if BBI is meant to be for leveled up characters I might run into a few problems.

Sanctuary

I have no dodge or roll or block , they can one shot me in one combo (I'm heading to witchwood for an early quest before grand soren) and I never use my bow because it does maybe 5 percent of the dmg my daggers do if that.

Pretty much all classes are "weak" vs the strangely leveled early bandits. The bandits in general are odd, because you can face some uber-rangers even at level 30+ that will wreck your health, even though there's no level scaling in the game.

Just run past the bandits early on if they are giving you too much difficulty (and they seem to for all but Sorcerers with High Miasma).

So, as I've said before, I'm new to this game. The BBI quest path seemed to open up relatively early for me, should I start it now? I view it as an expansion, so my natural inclination would be to do it at the very end after I finish the main vanilla game. Thoughts? Inputs?

I'm at level 9, and I refuse to use stupidly high level friend pawns so, if BBI is meant to be for leveled up characters I might run into a few problems.

YMMV, but start it at level 40 - 50 and see how things go. I went there at 45 and it was mostly cake and my weapon sucked then, but I left before facing any bosses. Just started Everfall now at level 52, and plan on going back to BBI at 55 to finish it. The game becomes an absolute joke at 75+, so I'd advise just going to BBI whenever you think you can do something there, but don't wait until the really high levels. I have no idea why anyone would want to level to 100 - 200 outside of fighting online Ur.

yeah, finish the full game first before heading to BBI, it is definitely meant to be played last. It has the strongest monsters and best gear.

Pretty much all classes are "weak" vs the strangely leveled early bandits. The bandits in general are odd, because you can face some uber-rangers even at level 30+ that will wreck your health, even though there's no level scaling in the game.

Just run past the bandits early on if they are giving you too much difficulty (and they seem to for all but Sorcerers with High Miasma).

Thanks!
I should have listened to my pawn telling me there is no shame in running, I beat the first uber bandit but the next pack had two of them and I keep losing my patience running around ressing my pawns and try to kill it myself only to get clobbered into a reload.

Is it normal that my bow feels completely useless, I've only used it to aim for the eye of a cyclops and to force harpies to land (and aiming with a controller is just painful), the damage seems veryyyyyy low compared to my daggers. (maybe a fifth)

I might change vocation but I'm not sure to what, I guess I could try mystic knight to try two entirely different playstyles (2h and magic).

I'm loving the game otherwise (though I miss the ability to dodge on my strider :\ ) , the music is beautiful and the nights are highly atmospheric.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Your party makeup and gear make a big difference. Your triple shot should also be doing a decent amount of damage. I was a beast at aroun level 12 with my bow. Make sure your weapons are enchanted and stay ranged. Have your melee pawns tank the bandits while you strafe aroud sniping. It took me a few tries to get the bandits on that road too, but you can. I don't suggest going right at the fork though since you'll be overwhelmed. Just head left to the wood.

Your party makeup and gear make a big difference. Your triple shot should also be doing a decent amount of damage. I was a beast at aroun level 12 with my bow. Make sure your weapons are enchanted and stay ranged. Have your melee pawns tank the bandits while you strafe aroud sniping. It took me a few tries to get the bandits on that road too, but you can. I don't suggest going right at the fork though since you'll be overwhelmed. Just head left to the wood.

I have the shortbow at lvl 3 enchant (best one I could find at peddlers, the dagger is from the same peddler), it just does poor dmg and with triple shot I run out of stamina fast. My lvl 3 enchant daggers do massive amounts of dmg. (I get that they'd do more since it's melee but not 5x more)
The controls are weird too for the bow since the triple shot seems to toggle ON when I press the button but won't toggle off unless I stop aiming.

Sanctuary

I have the shortbow at lvl 3 enchant, it just does poor dmg and with triple shot I run out of stamina fast. My lvl 3 enchant daggers do massive amounts of dmg. (I get that they'd do more since it's melee but not 5x more)
The controls are weird too for the bow since the triple shot seems to toggle ON when I press the button but won't toggle off unless I stop aiming.

Just jump if you want to interrupt any skill. And bows are rather weak against bandits early on, dagger skills tend to do more, but of course it's riskier without any decent armor. You can kill them (go for the Mages and Archer types first), but they aren't worth the effort unless it's just a pride thing. It's not an efficient use of time though.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I do agree with the shot thing, it seems you have to release your aim and reset to get rid of the shot you're using. And just to be clear, those bandits are supposed to be tough as shit. The archer bandits are the only ones you can do real damage too that early on. The game doesn't hold your hand. I switched to ranger at gran soren and decked him out and now I hit like a truck. If you like the ranged classes, stick with it, it gets better. Otherwise just try all the classes.

TentPole

I just looked in my stats, I've only killed 3 Giant Saurian Sages total. What the hell. Not sure where they are located

I just found a couple in the first floor after defeating the Dark Bishop and opening the second shortcut to the surface. It is the really dark area where the floor is flooded and you can light magic fires in exchange for Rift Crystals.

Eusis

Sorry guys, but what is bbi? Is it some kind if must-visit location?
It's the abbreviation for the island added with Dark Arisen.

Though I guess given you may've paid $40 just to be able to go there it's kind of a "must-visit."

EDIT: Beaten.

levitan

Bitterblack Isle, it's the new area introduced in Dark Arisen.

It's the abbreviation for the island added with Dark Arisen.

Though I guess given you may've paid $40 just to be able to go there it's kind of a "must-visit."

EDIT: Beaten.

Thanks for the info guys, I have just started playing this game and the ogre and reptiles in the wild have been kicking my ass...is there a recommended level for going to the BBI? I am in the normal mode and keep getting killed by swarms of lizards and thugs, feel like I am playing the game wrong...

Eusis

Thanks for the info guys, I have just started playing this game and the ogre and reptiles in the wild have been kicking my ass...is there a recommended level for going to the BBI? I am in the normal mode and keep getting killed by swarms of lizards and thugs, feel like I am playing the game wrong...
The recommended level is 50+, but just wait until you clear the game or most of it at least. Feel free to go ASAP just to make the game shut up about the fact you can go there though, you can immediately back out with being stuck or fighting anything.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Where's the best place to level in the endgame?

Also, is taking 2 uberpawns to the offline ur fight a viable strategy?

Soodanim

What?! There are enchanted bows early in the game? I know people tell you there are peddlers, but everyone I've spoken to is useless. I'm still running round with the basic Longbow at level 30. All my gear is still pretty basic, actually.

Shinta

Banned
So, I just finished the main game and started new game +. How do I make it hard mode and carry over my data? I don't want to erase everything ...

About Lv50, maybe. I'm less than 80 and mostly had issues with the bigger stuff, but I let them do suicide barges/jumps on me for easy XP. Currently having issues with the bishop. And my God, those 2 knights, tch.

What?! There are enchanted bows early in the game? I know people tell you there are peddlers, but everyone I've spoken to is useless. I'm still running round with the basic Longbow at level 30. All my gear is still pretty basic, actually.

People are probably talking about bows for Magic Archers.

I'm an expert

If you meant my comment I was talking about the spell buffs your mage would use. I'm just using non-dogma terminology. Affinities?

Kyoufu

You can use Black Cat to make copies of materials found in BBI. Highly recommended.

And you can change the chest loot with a Godsbane. Also recommended.

Twinduct

Holy balls, PSN is killing me. Gave in abd bought DA after reading the unlimited ferry stones bit. But 12gb Download .... it's been almost 24 hours and barely past 31%

Top Bottom