• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Kyoufu

what?! Is he selling the new armors??? I havent look at his store in a long time

Barroch has never sold anything new for me and I've cleared both the game and BBI. How far along are you?

It updated after I finished the Cursed Dragon Horn quest.

But others have said they've cleared said quest with no dice. So I'm guessing it's after a certain number of quests?

I know I've done the Macabre Idol and Cursed Dragon Horn quests. Some other kill quests too probably.

xCobalt

It updated after I finished the Cursed Dragon Horn quest.

But others have said they've cleared said quest with no dice. So I'm guessing it's after a certain number of quests?

I know I've done the Macabre Idol and Cursed Dragon Horn quests. Some other kill quests too probably.

Ah ok. I've only found like 8 idols and I hear there are 30 or 40 of them? I gotta be more observant lol

Yeah, I reloaded after that. Just wanted to see what would happen, and I wasn't disappointed.

This was hilarious, especially in a game that's not exactly about being able to make choices like Fallout/Elder Scrolls/Witcher games.

Arisen: Oh, first you're acting all "Hey I just met you, and this is crazy" when I come up here thinking you have a job for me, and then you wanna sell me out when your planned booty call gets crashed? Nope, fuck that. Have fun getting choked for your World Star Hip Hop video, I'm out.

burgerdog

So Barroch is selling me some new weapons. He has everything except a Magick Bow.

LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

I got the lv3 magick bow last night. 950 dmg base damage, it's going to be a beast at gold DF!

Gouf

Banned
How is the framerate on the 360 version? I remember people initially complaining about the framerate on the original release of DDogma and I'd like to know if that issue was ever resolved.

A couple small questions:

1. When does the intro of the game take place? Is it a flashback to a different Arisen altogether, or is it supposed to be your future Arisen? Or is that supposed to be ambiguous for the time being (I missed some of the intro text, so I don't know if I missed something important).

2. On my travels, I ran into a giant, red dragon in the forest. It had like 7 million health bars, and it destroyed my party. I think I was level 23, at what level should I be to take it on?

So I'm loving this game. Just got to Grand Soren and narrowly escaped the hell below (after trying like 30 times)
Anyways, I don't think I'm clear on a few things.

1. Is the auto save only good for where you slept last? As a result I'm manually saving every few minutes so if I die, there isn't a huge setback, and that gets tedious.

2. I think I should be renting/changing up new pawns more frequently because the ones I have don't level. Is this correct?

3. How do I access the DLC? I see the menu pop up when I install the game but nothing happens and the game loads. Is this something I should even worry about (I have no vanilla save/ DD Virgin here)

Thanks!

How is the framerate on the 360 version? I remember people initially complaining about the framerate on the original release of DDogma and I'd like to know if that issue was ever resolved.

no framerate problems as much as terrible vsync

still not enough to ruin the fun of DD tho

A couple small questions:

1. When does the intro of the game take place? Is it a flashback to a different Arisen altogether, or is it supposed to be your future Arisen? Or is that supposed to be ambiguous for the time being (I missed some of the intro text, so I don't know if I missed something important).

2. On my travels, I ran into a giant, red dragon in the forest. It had like 7 million health bars, and it destroyed my party. I think I was level 23, at what level should I be to take it on?

That's an arisen from the past.

2. Try him again at around lv.35.

Sanctuary

World building has a different meaning in my head, maybe world exploring is a better phrase. I know, people like heading out in a direction to see where it takes them. I actually think DD has plenty of that, even if the areas aren't quite as expansive as a TES game. I've been doing nothing but side questing and exploring and I still haven't gone to the pawn guild in Gran Soren.

But the actual rpg and combat elements of Oblivion and Skyrim are just so meh in my opinion. DD is much more of a complete package.. but, I dunno, clearly it doesn't have the mass appeal a Skyrim does. Though, truth be told, I have no idea why something like Skyrim catches fire but a game like this doesn't.

After posting my reply about "quality", I did a quick Google of "Dragon's Dogma lacks polish" and a ton of hits came up. Mostly from reviews. Reviews have a lot of sway over the general public. Even if someone doesn't read them, chances are they know someone that has, and (bad) word of mouth is pretty influential.

Honestly, if not for a bunch of random GAF posts about how DD was so and so's GOTY or GOAT, I probably wouldn't have bothered with it myself. I absolutely hated the demo, and felt it was extremely sloppy. Glad I gave it a second chance, but it still has a lot of things that bother me. Which is sad, because the parts I like about it, I really like and it could have been my GOAT, but too many issues prevent that. Regardless, hopefully they've learned enough from the feedback and Deep Down fixes most of the problems.

Played a bit, I'm now level 7 and just finished exploring the well in Cassardis.
First time in, got owned because those lizard pack a punch O_O Second time in, I killed them (after reviving my teammates 15234 times).
I visited BBI too just to unlock it and erase the purple waypoint on the map.

I hope some people will end up hiring my pawn, but I have a big disadvantage with my low level as of now. Good thing is I don't really need RC that much for now.

Played a bit, I'm now level 7 and just finished exploring the well in Cassardis.
First time in, got owned because those lizard pack a punch O_O Second time in, I killed them (after reviving my teammates 15234 times).
I visited BBI too just to unlock it and erase the purple waypoint on the map.

I hope some people will end up hiring my pawn, but I have a big disadvantage with my low level as of now. Good thing is I don't really need RC that much for now.

No worries, there are plenty of people who are also playing for the first time. Add your name to GAF's googledoc and you'll get a lot more uses.

And bring a mage with ice spells or boons into the well with you. Makes it a cakewalk.

xCobalt

I managed to get some high level equipment but it seems each one has a random enchantment on it. Got Grave Greaves with higher item carrying capacity.

KorrZ

After posting my reply about "quality", I did a quick Google of "Dragon's Dogma lacks polish" and a ton of hits came up. Mostly from reviews. Reviews have a lot of sway over the general public. Even if someone doesn't read them, chances are they know someone that has, and (bad) word of mouth is pretty influential.

Honestly, if not for a bunch of random GAF posts about how DD was so and so's GOTY or GOAT, I probably wouldn't have bothered with it myself. I absolutely hated the demo, and felt it was extremely sloppy. Glad I gave it a second chance, but it still has a lot of things that bother me. Which is sad, because the parts I like about it, I really like and it could have been my GOAT, but too many issues prevent that. Regardless, hopefully they've learned enough from the feedback and Deep Down fixes most of the problems.

This is absolutely the #1 game that will be AMAZING with a sequel to polish up all the rough edges, now that they've got the core gameplay down. I'm glad to hear they're already working on one.

Karak

This is absolutely the #1 game that will be AMAZING with a sequel to polish up all the rough edges, now that they've got the core gameplay down. I'm glad to hear they're already working on one.

Ya. I mean hell even if it was locked at 30, fixed the shadows, and a couple other things...wow.
Still in the running for my game of this generation though.

no framerate problems as much as terrible vsync

still not enough to ruin the fun of DD tho

yeah I bought the original DD on xbox due to "better performance" and the screen tearing drove me nuts so I got the PS3 version and was much happier.

sounds like tearing is still in dark arison xbox (though perhaps not as extreme?)

In a round about way, I like that the world and story are very generalized and broad in the different type of mythologies it portrays.

They give you the playground to run around in, you set up the background story and stuff for your character. Most the time I play this as "Berserk: the game" as a warrior with the Swordman's gear on. If this game had Guts Dragonslayer sword and limbs flying off, itd be the greatest thing ever.

KorrZ

yeah I bought the original DD on xbox due to "better performance" and the screen tearing drove me nuts so I got the PS3 version and was much happier.

sounds like tearing is still in dark arison xbox (though perhaps not as extreme?)

It's pretty bad. Extremely noticeable, and I'm not usually one to be bothered/notice tearing at all. Most of the games people rip apart for "terrible screen tearing" I can't even see...not the case with this game though.

Sanctuary

AFAIK, if people are having problems in BBI damage wise, farming Everfall isn't the way to go about it unless your pawn needs a much better weapon. It looks like the buffs that the weapon you get from
killing Grigori
was buffed so much that it renders everything in Everfall inert. Of course it's still worth it for the various armors though.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I haven't had time to play in the last two days so everyone who was around level 20-30 with me is now probably way above. Liara will be lonely again. =(

Anyone gotten a longbow better than Dragon's Glaze (you get one out of the moonbeam chests)?

I keep getting the short bow out of lvl 3 items, the Darkening Storm. It refuses to give me a ranger bow

Shinta

Banned
Yes, but you will be forced to start the playtrough from the beginning.

I checked the options menu. It only has easy and normal mode as options.

So ... do I select hard mode from the title screen menu? Will that allow me to load my game, or will it erase my game? I need to know 100% for sure which menu to go to because I'm paranoid about losing my game ... :(

So, if anyone knows for sure, thanks in advance.

Mugaaz

Anyone gotten a longbow better than Dragon's Glaze (you get one out of the moonbeam chests)?

I keep getting the short bow out of lvl 3 items, the Darkening Storm. It refuses to give me a ranger bow

The items you get from chests are not really random.

There's like 4 "sets" of items. Each set contains 3 items. Then the set you get is based on your vocation + pawns vocation. So it heavily favors something one of you can use. You can manipulate it by changing both your vocations to whatever to have a better shot of getting an item that favors a specific class. Its not foolproof though, afaik wands/archistaffs are same pool, as are stuff like bow/shortbow/magic bow. So theres still tons of luck involved. Whats nice regardless is that if you get a dupe you can just reload, change classes and ensure its something else. Reloading won't change one item into another though, you can't change a short bow into a long bow, just a short bow into a staff or sword, etc.

Skilletor

So I've been using the Female barmaid looking outfit and the princess gear. They seem to have far better stats than anything I can buy at the moment. Am I missing something?

I'm thinking about buying armor sets just because they look silly.

Reknoc

Managed to get the game for a whopping £2, thanks to GAME taking the original off my hands for £10 trade in and having a bunch of points from my Fire Emblem XL purchase.

Decided to start the game from the beginning since I wasn't all that far originally. Now to run around on Gran Soren's roofs forever and never see any of the new content.

I checked the options menu. It only has easy and normal mode as options.

So ... do I select hard mode from the title screen menu? Will that allow me to load my game, or will it erase my game? I need to know 100% for sure which menu to go to because I'm paranoid about losing my game ... :(

So, if anyone knows for sure, thanks in advance.

Selecting Hard Mode from the menu will keep your characters, items, and exp, intact but will take you back to the very beginning of the game as far as story progression goes.

It's in the OP. And you can also just search for their pawn by their Online ID and favorite them if you don't want to/can't add them to your friends list.

Thanks, I added my name to the doc. I will make sure I add everyone to favorites!

Add me to favorites if you want, my pawn is lonely. PSN blaackstarr7

xCobalt

I'm using the Revenant Wail. 2 stars at the moment but it has 904 strength.

Anyone on xbox need a level 3 bitterblack gear? I got a terrible ring from it I'll just give it to someone else who may get something better.

I'm using the Revenant Wail. 2 stars at the moment but it has 904 strength.
yeah, that's probably it. I really want it. Mine now does 680 DMG/383 MAG at silver DF.

I also haven't gotten a single new chest plate. Pretty curious why I'm not getting all the drops. Quest related, maybe?

Damn , this is my favorite rpg in every way.

This game raised the bar so much compared to other rpgs that it makes them all look like dogshit (and they were to be honest).

The combat feels really really good and is so varied, you feel like a badass with the abilities as assassin and they are very rewarding to use. Genuinly brilliant combat in a wrpg, this has to be a first... (especially compared to megaturds like skyrim)
skill progression/class system/crafting are all awesome and interesting.

I can't get over how good the music is either.

Finally an rpg that feels like an adventure and is interesting and not full of generic shit and tropes mechanics wise.
The tension of trying to finish exploring or getting stuff done before night falls is great too.
The world is awesome, so much variety in environments.
I haven't been able to lose myself and immerse myself properly in a game world since stalker:SOC

The black bars are starting to grow on me, at least they keep the image quality fairly intact as there is no pixel crawling and no scaling artifacts or scaling blur.
It looks really amazing for a console game too, especially for an open world game, the day and night cycles provide amazing atmosphere and the world feels alive with the wind and spells affecting the vegetation.
I've haven't noticed any tearing (ps3 version) which I didn't expect.
The only downside is the framerate, I'd love to play this game on my pc at 75 fps with mouse aim and a better field of view :(

I hope they sell loads of copies as I want nothing more than a next gen sequel for this on pc.
With a few very minor annoyances removed and the shopping UI improved (why doesn't the compare show the weight of what I have equipped, why is combining so laborious and akward, why can't I see the base stats of my current gear before upgrading when I compare it to new gear) and a high framerate this would be a flawless 100/100 rpg.

I was sold on this game based on the demo, I love it when good games have good demos , no need to shit away 100m euros on marketing.

I still haven't really touched BBI, but after playing through the original game for the first time last week, DD2 or Deep Down or whatever is now easily the game I'm most looking forward to. It may be the only game I'm really looking forward to.

SJRB

Gold Member
Good lord this game is awesome.

I just reached Gran Soren, this place is HUGE. There's a lot of information to digest in this first part, but I don't really feel overwhelmed.

Game can be creepy as hell too, Witchwoods was pretty freaky.

Super glad I got this game.

I3rand0

Sorry if this question has already been answered. If I own the original and have not started it, would it be better to play it first and complete it or start a new game in Dark Arisen instead?

Top Bottom