• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Fou-Lu

I'm about 5 hours in and this is what I've been doing.

I'm a Strider, my main pawn is a Fighter and I have two Mage/Sorcerer pawns as backup. Works pretty good so far.

Same, except I'm a Ranger now and my main pawn is a Warrior, working good. Ranger is a fucking cannon and who cares if you're a little bit glass if you never get hit?

branny

I don't give two shits about RC - the amount the game gives you free for porting vanilla data is basically all I need for the entire game. I just like sharing my pawn with people and looking at other people's creations.
It's not about RC. I only exclusively use similarly leveled GAFFer pawns. Cobalt used mine, despite my pawn being like 90 levels lower, and I appreciate that. So I try to do the same with other pawns. Might as well use GAF pawns instead of some random dude's pawn who doesn't even play the game anymore. So, no - keep your name on there.
Ah, gotcha. I just asked because I'd feel bad if a person took my pawn instead someone else's when I don't need RC.

Yeah, I spent half an hour perfecting my pawn's face - no way I'm obscuring it with a helmet.
So true. I'm sad that all the BBI headgear I've found thus far is ugly as fuck. Nothing gross is allowed to touch my pawn's chiseled face.

sensui-tomo

Surprised at how many people are using my pawn, just got into the mil with those points.
If anyone here is good at making pawns, anyone have an idea on how to make the female main character from Dragon Quest IV? then i have to make sure she has good pawn attributes for a melee type character.(or basically no guardian)

itschris

Hey guys, I got Dark Arisen (PS3 version) last week, and I'm loving it so far. I never played the original version, so I'm still fairly early in the game. Right now I'm in Gran Soren, approaching level 20, working on the Wyrm Hunt quests. I added myself to the list in the OP if anyone wants to use my pawn. She's a fighter - I tried to model her after Brienne from Game of Thrones.

Sera O

Banned
I have 9 vocations available to me, is that the total amount or will more unlock later?

Yes, you have all of them open to you at the start.

Lastly, because of reasons I hate having my character use magic in games. Is it viable to just go with pure non-magic and having a magic pawn as a buffer/assist?

All your options are actually viable, which is great because changing vocation really makes combat feel different and keeps it fresh. I've played strider, ranger, assassin with a fighter/warrior main pawn up to post-game and it's been absolutely fine - those two hired pawn slots give you all the flexibility you need to cover gaps in your team.

burgerdog

cool, will do.

I'm in the process of finally dragon forging my pawns equipment, once I'm done I'll save. Going from melee based classes to magic is definitely an experience, kinda frustrating.

I just DF'ed my pawn's staff, that was painful and I never want to do it again. Gold Star now, I've yet to see how much damage she does with it. Meteors are going to be quite something.

I'm about 5 hours in and this is what I've been doing.

I'm a Strider, my main pawn is a Fighter and I have two Mage/Sorcerer pawns as backup. Works pretty good so far.
Yes, you have all of them open to you at the start.

All your options are actually viable, which is great because changing vocation really makes combat feel different and keeps it fresh. I've played strider, ranger, assassin with a fighter/warrior main pawn up to post-game and it's been absolutely fine - those two hired pawn slots give you all the flexibility you need to cover gaps in your team.
Thanks, good to know. I've been enjoying it so far, I can see it sucking up a lot of my time.

Brannon

Been playing around for a bit, but realized that I can't gift or rate pawns I use (PS3 Version). I'm pretty sure I'm using player pawns since I check for the Online ID. Is it just me or is it widespread?

Sanctuary

Just picked up and upgraded to level 3 the Immortal Helm. My god is that helm awesome looking (and it matches Crimson Plate very well). Now my tank actually has a pretty cool look, instead of just being a chrome-dome.

Min-maxing in this game to use magic bows is super unfun. Play a Sorcerer for 190 levels, then when capped switch to Magic Archer?

Although I definitely do not agree with the blanketed "min/maxing is not necessary" (followed up with "go level more" when someone is having a problem with an area or fight...), playing beyond level 75 - 80 seems like complete overkill for this game. You literally had no reason to go past 75 (talking about difficulty, not questing/trophies) in vanilla unless you were planning on doing online Ur. So basically, you don't have to min/max...you can just overlevel everything; which I think is pretty jank.

Right now at lvl 65, I've yet to hit anything in BBI yet that feels like a wall where I need more levels. But anyway, once your actual character level starts slowing down (40+) you can simply play as the MA full time and port back to town for a Sorc or whatever switch when you're a few hundred XP away from a character level. Level, then switch back to MA. It's still a bit of micromanagement, but it's nothing like what used to be recommended where people actually expected you to stay as a Sorcerer until the end. Eternal Ferrystones make it a bit easier in that regard.

I fucked up a Drake and he ran away with no life left.

Little bitch

Happens too much for my liking. You can actually run back a bit (not too far or it's health will completely reset) when it's low on health and save the game. This is also how you farm drakes for a "guaranteed" dragonforged item.

C'mon Daimon, give me my Revenant Wail.

At least, he gave me the sword Devilsbane (1200 base strenght).

Been playing around for a bit, but realized that I can't gift or rate pawns I use (PS3 Version). I'm pretty sure I'm using player pawns since I check for the Online ID. Is it just me or is it widespread?

You can't gift or rate pawns of players who don't have the same version of Dragon's Dogma.

Brannon

C'mon Daimon, give me my Revenant Wail.

At least, he gave me the sword Devilsbane (1200 base strenght).

You can't gift or rate pawns of players who don't have the same version of Dragon's Dogma.

But... but that's everybody I've seen. You'd think they'd let us sort pawns by game version or something :mad:

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I need that hellfire armor... guess i need to quite messing around and just start farming Daimon over and over again...

Need swords like whoa... and at least a dark counterpart to my Trophy set.

burgerdog

Made decent progress today, just need the helm to have full oblivion on my main. Picked up a hellfire gauntlet and netherhelm. Pawn will be in full gold DF'ed Grave gear when I play later tonight. I can taste the end of the journey.

RangerBAD

Oh, man,
Daimon 2.0. That false sense of security that you're going to win. I tried going for his other face, but that did nothing.

Kyoufu

o_O really? I think I meant for the upgrade from the BI upgrade guy. It looks like some sort of jug in the icon. @ work ATM cant check

You mean after first DF? Your post was a little vague. :p

I'd have to get it DF'd to find out... not happening with this headache. :(

jet1911

I'm having a hard time with this game lol. Been a long time since I've played a "hard" game like that. I started the well quest in the first village and got my ass seriously kicked by those lizard man. I think I need to gain a couple of levels.

Didn't get any RC from you, Burgerdog. Did you send her back?

Once I get my last piece of armor and jump into NG+, I'm going to use a lot of the lower leveled pawns from my friends list. Just beat Daimon for the 30th time, no chest armor...I'm starting to feel really unlucky

RangerBAD

Once I get my last piece of armor and jump into NG+, I'm going to use a lot of the lower leveled pawns from my friends list. Just beat Daimon for the 30th time, no chest armor...I'm starting to feel really unlucky

Which chest armor? The one that restores health?

I don't have Hellfire, Oblivion or Traitor. None of the best chest plates. I don't even have Immortal, which is tier below Traitor.

Edit: sorry I keep complaining about this, guys. I'm starting to wonder if its a glitch or something

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Anyone compile or find a listing of the possible cursed items from Daimon and his chests? I'm gonna probably start the farming tonight so..

and while doing the godsbane biz at the chests... your best chance is to wait for lvl 3 items and then just pray when you purify them correct? Save and purify - reload if it's bad - change class to focus towards swords and all that?

I don't have Hellfire, Oblivion or Traitor. None of the best chest plates. I don't even have Immortal, which is tier below Traitor.

Edit: sorry I keep complaining about this, guys. I'm starting to wonder if its a glitch or something

I have all of this and the helmets and weapons but not a single boot. Boots are Tier 3 right?

burgerdog

I did. Wow, I hope you don't get screwed out of that. I used her for 10+ hours so it should give you a ton of RC.

xCobalt

yes, hellfire/oblivion/carrion boots/legs are tier 3.

My inventory is overflowing with boots. I wish we could give items that weren't cursed.

If I get duplicates, I just reset and send the cursed item to a friend since they'll get different results. I also use this method because it saves RC lol

GorillaJu

Prophet/Burger do you guys know where Lizardscale Pelts come from? I can't find any though I apparently do have one already – it's required for the level 3 Oblivion chest upgrade.

I've tried hunting the saurians to check but they aren't dropping them.

And I can't believe how you have to kill death multiple times to gold-forge some pieces. D: Need more bone lanterns.

My pawn is now in full Oblivion minus headgear (it's ugly) with the best bow and best daggers - only thing remaining is to finish gold forging the items and get a good hat that doesn't look like shit. Right now she's got Laurel Circlet, but the stats aren't good at all. I wouldn't mind a BB level 1 or 2 hat if it looked decent... Oh and it'd be good to find a Strider's Band with Thousand Kisses on it.

xCobalt

Prophet/Burger do you guys know where Lizardscale Pelts come from? I can't find any though I apparently do have one already – it's required for the level 3 Oblivion chest upgrade.

And I can't believe how you have to kill death multiple times to gold-forge some pieces. D: Need more bone lanterns.

My pawn is now in full Oblivion minus headgear (it's ugly) with the best bow and best daggers - only thing remaining is to finish gold forging the items and get a good hat that doesn't look like shit. Right now she's got Laurel Circlet, but the stats aren't good at all. I wouldn't mind a BB level 1 or 2 hat if it looked decent...

Its from the giant saurians. They can appear in the very first area of BBI. If you have the money, you should forge Death's drops.

burgerdog

My pawn is now in full Oblivion minus headgear (it's ugly) with the best bow and best daggers - only thing remaining is to finish gold forging the items and get a good hat that doesn't look like shit. Right now she's got Laurel Circlet, but the stats aren't good at all. I wouldn't mind a BB level 1 or 2 hat if it looked decent... Oh and it'd be good to find a Strider's Band with Thousand Kisses on it.

Use the blackcat to dupe the items from death, it should work since it works for Daimon items. At least I hope it does. The lizardscale pelts should definitely be able to forge, try it!

Black Cat is your answer, forging makes grinding far less of a pain.

Btw, Full Immortal set and bitter end gold forged=Boss mode. If I could only find a tier 3 skill ring for arc of deliverance, then id be the walking apocalypse.

klee123

Where's the GAF pawn list again? I wouldn't mind hiring some new pawns for variety.

In case people want to use my pawn. My PSN is klee1234

Pawn details:

System: PS3
Name: Karah
Class: Sorcerer
Level: 110

Top Bottom