• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Anyone on PS3 around lvl 37 have a medicant mage main pawn or a scather/utalitarian sorcerer?

If so add me (alilsneaky)

I have a lvl 37 aquisitor (item looting)/Nexus (pawn protection) rank 9 fighter if anyone needs such a pawn :p

Also if anyone on ps3 could forge a gold idol for me I would be very grateful. I forgot to forge one when I gave it to madeleine;:(

Pyrrhus

I was surprised to learn Madeleine is only 26 accordign to the wiki. Going by her voice and her mannerisms, I thought she was going to be in her late thirties or possibly on the wrong side of forty. Like, she knows her looks are going to fade soon and she's desperate to secure wealth and position for herself before that door slams shut. If you're still that young, why are you scrambling so hard? I don't know, just me?

Other musings: Shoudln't it be Dame Mercedes, not Ser?

Skilletor

No. The good gear before post-game comes from Caxton. Unless you are a female or have a female (caster) main pawn, you didn't really miss out from Madeleine either. Fournival sells a neat cloak that shares the health that the wearer gained, but I'm not sure how many people actually use it outside of a Magick Archer that uses Grand Scension.

Sweet.

I do have a female, but not too worried about that if I can get good gear from Caxton.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I was surprised to learn Madeleine is only 26 accordign to the wiki. Going by her voice and her mannerisms, I thought she was going to be in her late thirties or possibly on the wrong side of forty. Like, she knows her looks are going to fade soon and she's desperate to secure wealth and position for herself before that door slams shut. If you're still that young, why are you scrambling so hard? I don't know, just me?

In anime, someone who's 26 might as well start collecting social security checks, so maybe it's an aspect of that.

burgerdog

Looks like jumping down the shortcut in the Bloodless Stockade is a sure way to make Death appear. No idea if it still works if you've already beat BBI but I just took down all his health by using the shortcut, fighting him until he leaves and then exiting the area. Go back, jump down the hole and he appears again.

He stops spawning once you kill Daimon.

burgerdog

I could be totally wrong here, but I think he'll only appear at night. He went MIA for me for a long time but only because it was daytime when I was playing.

I just slept five times(till morning) for shits and giggles and he spawned in the very first area of BBI.

edit
Dead, dropped a lv3 weapon and gear. Completed the 13 fabled items quest with the kill, too. Just have the idol quest left.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I guess, but it's an alternates spelling of Sir, and the female equivalent of Sir in English is Dame.

Yeah that's true, but unless I am completely wrong Sir and Dame are normally noble titles, while in Dragon's Dogma, it appears that Sir is used to denote those who are knights. Also it could be part of Mercedes character, she could have requested to be called a Ser, since she's obsessed with being a knight she might just want to be an ideal knight in every sense and being labeled Dame might clash with her perspective on what it means to be a knight.

Also I don't know of any other knights that are female in dragon's dogma, so it could also make sense that if females don't traditionally become knights there is simply no version of Ser for females so they just get that title anyway.

Kind of interesting to think about actually, if it was any other game I would have brushed it off but dragon's dogma seems to have a fair bit of thought put behind everything.

Skilletor

Best spells and combat, no other open world game comes close. Hell, the combat is better than some pure action games.

This is just plain truth.

Man, nothing in a long time has been so satisfying as almost one-shotting a Cyclops after having been owned by them so much.

This game.

Fuck yes.

Pyrrhus

Yeah that's true, but unless I am completely wrong Sir and Dame are normally noble titles, while in Dragon's Dogma, it appears that Sir is used to denote those who are knights. Also it could be part of Mercedes character, she could have requested to be called a Ser, since she's obsessed with being a knight she might just want to be an ideal knight in every sense and being labeled Dame might clash with her perspective on what it means to be a knight.

Also I don't know of any other knights that are female in dragon's dogma, so it could also make sense that if females don't traditionally become knights there is simply no version of Ser for females so they just get that title anyway.

Kind of interesting to think about actually, if it was any other game I would have brushed it off but dragon's dogma seems to have a fair bit of thought put behind everything.

Knights are generally low nobility, actually. But yeah, a minor detail that's easy to handwave away. I don't feel Mercedes has a problem with being a girl like a Brienne of Tarth, however. She wouldn't wear that girlish cut and the boobplate armor if she thought being a woman made her lesser or unaccepted. I'm going to chalk it up to ignorance or oversight on the part of the localization team, myself.

I've heard females acknowledged as Sir before too. I think in the military. Am I wrong?

No, generally a woman is addressed as "Ma'am" in the modern military.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I've got this game waiting for me when I get home from work today, whats the difficulty curve like with the different classes? Just based on glancing over stuff I was hoping to start out mage and make my way to magic archer. Is that going to be a hard path to take?

burgerdog

Bone Lantern: Needed for gold DF Hellfire Cloak, Oblivion chest/arms/legs.

^ I just got two, I could use a scythe if you have one.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I've got this game waiting for me when I get home from work today, whats the difficulty curve like with the different classes? Just based on glancing over stuff I was hoping to start out mage and make my way to magic archer. Is that going to be a hard path to take?

Naw there is really no such way to have a hard path, all classes excel differently. Spell casters are very Risk Reward where you can get messed up pretty bad but your spells are mini nuclear bombs.

It will all come down to what you realize you enjoy playing the most, don't be scared to experiment once you reach level 10 and can swap between classes whenever. I originally thought I wanted to be pure melee but I found the shortbow / longbow vocations to be insane amounts of fun so it is really all up to you and how you decide you wanna play.

If you're gonna go for magick archer I would recommend going Mage -> Sorcerer -> MA for some augments that are pretty fun but it's not necessary if you just wanna be an MA.

It is easy to get caught up in min maxing like I did early on but it really doesn't matter too much provided you have a great weapon to go along with what class you want to play.

Skilletor

I haven't sold or gotten rid of a single thing I've obtained yet. It's all sitting in storage. I'm so paranoid about getting rid of something I need.

Hahaha I tried fighting my first enemy in BBI at level 15 or so. lol not gonna happen. I did whack a snake to death that flew at me from somewhere, so I at least killed something. Then I saw Death and that was that. Don't plan on coming back here till much later. Loved the visual design though. The stone bricks and everything feel authentically aged. Can't wait to explore this hellhole later.

Also, being able to teleport is making things so much more enjoyable. I still love making treks from morning to night, but it certainly helps me keep down the tedium.

I pegged her age exactly.

Perhaps you're thinking with Twenty-first Century associations of age.

nataku

Will starting a NG+ in hard mode get my the eternal ferrystone + DLC quests, or do I need to do that weird start a NG+ hard mode in the original, save -> then import into DA thing someone was talking about earlier in the thread?

I always have trouble with open world questing games like this and have run into a really annoying issue.

I just completed the early grimoire tomb quest and I'm supposed to return to steffen but when I got to the red mark on the map I see him for a brief second then he strolls off and goes invis deleting my quest marker.

My next question is what is the main storyline quest to follow? I can't seem to figure out what I have to do to progress. I was thinking it was the grimoire quest but I cant finish it to find out.

I'm trying to work on the Wyrmhunt quest and my step is to speak with Gran Sorens citizens but I feel like I've talked to everyone and nothing is moving.

I swear rpgs like this and even grand theft auto I feel like quest lines always bug out on me.

Anyone out there able to offer some help so I can progress in this awesome game?

Sanctuary

There are, I think three entrances to the catacombs. One is around a wall in the ruins outside of the Gran Soren exit closest to the pawn guild (you run north/east) from the guild, through the wheat), but it might be more of an exit before unlocking a door or something and one is under the bridge that connects the northern portion of that area. And then there's the main entrance all the way north west.

Also, the grimoire is actually optional. Don't worry too much about finding the NPC, you'll usually bump into him at some point roaming around the city. The only caveat is that you will want to finish it before
the griffon/griffin/gryphon
quest, but it's not mandatory to progress the plot.

Sera O

Banned
I'm trying to work on the Wyrmhunt quest and my step is to speak with Gran Sorens citizens but I feel like I've talked to everyone and nothing is moving.

I swear rpgs like this and even grand theft auto I feel like quest lines always bug out on me.

Anyone out there able to offer some help so I can progress in this awesome game?

At the point where you're at, have you talked to Mason yet? The guy who is always drinking at the inn directed me to find him. Mason is (location spoiler)
the dude in the canal/sewers area near Gran Soren's east gate (the waterfront one)

Maybe it's possible to skip that bit entirely and go directly to catacombs, but I know there is a decision during the quest that can impact further dealings with him in the game.

I don't know what that content is though because I locked myself out of it.

burgerdog

Bam, just got the last piece of Hellfire that I needed. 4/4 Oblivion and Hellfire. Peace out, BBI, it's been fun. Just going to play it casually now doing random stuff in Gransys.

This game really is at its finest when you go on one of those epic quests far into unknown territory, traveling and fighting from dawn till dusk to barely make it to your destination in time.
Am on the griffin's bane quest atm and it's awesome, just got to the bluesomethingwhatother tower.

It's nighttime now and pitchdark inside, so moody.

The only thing that ruins the mood is the awful colorbanding, holy mother of 8 bit color:(

edit: just finished with the tower, I can't get over how much I love this game , such an adventure.
This franchise deserves to be the most successful of them all, so much talent and effort and love went into this game.

JoeFenix

Finished off my second run of BBI on Hard Mode yesterday and I'm incredibly happy with the way this version turned out. Playing as a Sorcerer for the first run was very challenging and it forced me to explore alot of gameplay mechanics and items that you could easily ignore in the regular content.

I have my Stagger and Knockdown up to 600+ and casting High Glicel (still looking for that Sorcerer ring dammit!) and seeing a Gorecyclops get knocked down is amazing! I was afraid that playing as a caster would be boring but it's been surprisingly awesome. Had to adjust my pawn team to make it work but at this point with Gold DragonForged gear I'm just wrecking everything.

The final boss of BBI blew me away the first time I fought him, the music, the way he looks and moves.... Holy shit it's sooooo DMC feeling! What a badass!

There is absolutely no level scaling involved here, the feeling of empowerment is perfect when you get that new weapon or gear that gives you huge buffs. You really feel the difference.

Loved the changes on the second run of the place too, that final area before the boss room was pure insanity on Hard haha! Also really liked the Necrophagus beast system, those zombie dragons are so satisfying to kill. Just equip non DF'd gear and you get a bunch of those DF'd guaranteed.

The tweaks and polish improvements across the main game are also numerous, the game definitely runs better and looks a bit nicer on PS3. I was playing the regular version for a couple of days before I got DA and the changes were really noticeable. Interface is a GIGANTIC improvement in terms of feel and everything just feels tighter and more polished. I was surprised to see they changed some animations outright, dodge roll is completely different than it was in Vanilla for instance.

I will say that I didn't care for the recycled connective rooms in BBI even though they tried to justify those story wise. It wasn't a big deal though, the amount of content felt good and I was impressed with how many new enemies were down there. The feeling of going through this the first time was absolutely awesome!

Feeling really good about this game, I can't wait to see where this franchise goes in the future. Interesting to note that the BBI content was directed by someone other than Itsuno who directed the main game, I forgot his name but I definitely have not heard about him before. I really like what he did here though, BBI is definitely my favorite place in the game.

In anime, someone who's 26 might as well start collecting social security checks, so maybe it's an aspect of that.

Yep, by 26 you're basically an old codger. So odd.

Dark Arisen isn't just the vanilla game plus new content. Some changes were made to the overall gameplay.

It's a steal for people who've never played before, but there's still really no reason why it couldn't have been a $15 DLC and a couple of patches.

Feeling really good about this game, I can't wait to see where this franchise goes in the future. Interesting to note that the BBI content was directed by someone other than Itsuno who directed the main game, I forgot his name but I definitely have not heard about him before. I really like what he did here though, BBI is definitely my favorite place in the game.

good post overall. question about the dodge roll. i noticed something changed, but i'm so forgetful with these things. what were the changes?

Kyoufu

It's a steal for people who've never played before, but there's still really no reason why it couldn't have been a $15 DLC and a couple of patches.

The funny thing is it's not much more than that here in the UK. Asda were selling it for 13 quid.

$40 seems far too much in comparison.

Top Bottom