• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

???!!! sounds like you either reloaded a game or... killed him and didn't realize it??

I know he doesn't reset when you beat BBI 1.0 ... just killed him the other night and began hunting the 2nd showing shortly after that.

sucks meng...

happened mid fight actually. fought him together with 2 golems. next time i targeted him he was full for some reason. he even killed all my pawns soon after. that whole room was bad for me, lol.

Sanctuary

And yet i've been assassin/Ranger for days now and have 2 of the bitterblack magic bows. shrug.

Sounds like your pawn is a Mage then. Although there are bows with elements attached to them, which are not Magick Archer bows. I had to turn my pawn into a Strider before a MA bow finally appeared. The weapons are basically 3-4 random types out of the total amount that can appear, and you just cycle through the class combinations to see all of the weapons it could be. If you aren't getting a weapon you want, it's most likely because it didn't seed in that specific cursed weapon.

Also, there's nothing more hilarious in this game yet than watching a Mage constantly suicide run into a berserking Goreclops. Do they run up to cast? Nope, they just charge right ahead into the swings. They also like shouting "I've ahold master, hit it's arm!" or, if we are two rooms away and the Mage is standing right next to me "I'll blind it master!".

Kyoufu

happened mid fight actually. fought him together with 2 golems. next time i targeted him he was full for some reason. he even killed all my pawns soon after. that whole room was bad for me, lol.

Was it the room with the Sorcerers? One of the Cyclops healed when I was hitting it. Maybe a Sorcerer did it?

The only other thing I can think of is a Harpy/Succubus song healing it.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

LoL good lord... it definitely doesn't get much worse than that. lol

i've got like 5 of the legendary cursed blah blah shits... and really would like a new sword for my assassin. I have the Cursed Bite (?) ... looks like a more gnarly carnation. Anything enchanted in the one handed swords that I need to be looking out for???

Sounds like your pawn is a Mage then. Although there are bows with elements attached to them, which are not Magick Archer bows.

Also, there's nothing more hilarious in this game yet than watching a Mage constantly suicide run into a berserking Goreclops. Do they run up to cast? Nope, they just charge right ahead into the swings. They also like shouting "I've ahold master, hit it's arm!" or, if we are two rooms away and the Mage is standing right next to me "I'll blind it master!".

"Yep, thanks guy. I'll pick up your corpse after the battle's over".

Mage pawns, sheesh. Some work, some don't.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Sounds like your pawn is a Mage then. Although there are bows with elements attached to them, which are not Magick Archer bows. I had to turn my pawn into a Strider before a MA bow finally appeared. The weapons are basically 3-4 random types out of the total amount that can appear, and you just cycle through the class combinations to see all of the weapons it could be. If you aren't getting a weapon you want, it's most likely because it didn't seed in that specific cursed weapon.

I wish it was. Pawn is a ranger. Has been for quite some time (at the very least for my second blackwing bow). I'll play around with it tonight when I make a few more daimon runs but the gear i've been getting, besides these bows, has been pretty varied and it's given me most of the Shadow gear fairly quickly - i'm guessing because i'm an assassin - so it's al good.

And yes.. the pawns i think just all bleed out of their ears as soon as they land on bitterblack. Sepheroxie - my most gangsterest hardcore hired pwn is a ranger... has been for months. She used to actually compliment and command a battlefield with me like nobodies business. Now she just fucking stands next to me, points out obvious shit and fires pentad/10fold once every 5 minutes. It's infuriating.

Sanctuary

Was it the room with the Sorcerers? One of the Cyclops healed when I was hitting it. Maybe a Sorcerer did it?

The only other thing I can think of is a Harpy/Succubus song healing it.

That was the first room where I said "fuck this". I was running around as a mid-rank, half-assed Mystic Knight (was leveling the vocation just to be able to dragonforge my Fighter's gear much easier). I couldn't kill shit before the room was filled with maelstrom and I was bouncing for 30s before dying (after everyone else had run in and died to the three worgs that appear as well).

Switched back to MA, and proceeded to dice the hell out of the Sorcerers before they could cast anything, then ran back into the hall making all of the pawns follow. The worgs got utterly shredded with Ricochet, and afterwards it was cheesing the Gorecyclops with Sixfold.

I honestly have to wonder; seeing as how the MA went from zero (other than Ur dragon) to hero with this expansion, is it now the most versatile class? Ancient Ogres are literally dead in seconds now, undead really don't do anything (Heaven's Key), Eliminators get burnt to death by Explosive + Immolation + Wind spam and Gorecyclops get exploited with Sixfold.

The only class that I can see that can compete without too many problems--due to being able to exploit elemental weaknesses--would be the Sorcerer. The MK could as well I suppose, but I don't like the way the cannon works, and it's probably just me, but the shield countering seems too infrequent to really matter. The other three Strider clone classes are all physical until you get a lucky drop (although they can all do Holy/Ice/Lit damage with dagger switching), and while the Fighter can output impressive damage and has survivability, it has no range and I have no idea how it is supposed to handle a Gorecyclops. The Warrior is a "fun" class in vanilla, and I could see it doing "okay" on many things in BBI, but I can also see it being incredibly frustrating on just as many others.

Kyoufu

That was the first room where I said "fuck this". I was running around as a mid-rank, half-assed Mystic Knight (was leveling the vocation just to be able to dragonforge my Fighter's gear much easier). I couldn't kill shit before the room was filled with maelstrom and I was bouncing for 30s before dying (after everyone else had run in and died to the three worgs that appear as well).

Switched back to MA, and proceeded to dice the hell out of the Sorcerers before they could cast anything, then ran back into the hall making all of the pawns follow. The worgs got utterly shredded with Ricochet, and afterwards it was cheesing the Gorecyclops with Sixfold.

I honestly have to wonder; seeing as how the MA went from zero (other than Ur dragon) to hero with this expansion, is it now the most versatile class? Ancient Ogres are literally dead in seconds now, undead really don't do anything (Heaven's Key), Eliminators get burnt to death by Explosive + Immolation + Wind spam and Gorecyclops get exploited with Sixfold.

The only class that I can see that can compete without too many problems--due to being able to exploit elemental weaknesses--would be the Sorcerer. The MK could as well I suppose, but I don't like the way the cannon works, and it's probably just me, but the shield countering seems too infrequent to really matter. The other three Strider clone classes are all physical until you get a lucky drop (although they can all do Holy damage), and while the Fighter can output impressive damage and has survivability, it has no range and I have no idea how it is supposed to handle a Gorecyclops. The Warrior is a "fun" class in vanilla, and I could see it doing "okay" on many things in BBI, but I can also see it being incredibly frustrating on just as many others.

Yep. MA is just godlike. Ricochet is incredible.

Does Immolation break Mimic/Eliminator holds?

Sielys

What's the fastest way to level vocations? I want to get back to my main class after grabbing some augments.

Level 52 right now, not sure if main-story progression matters, but my current quest is to go kill a griffon or something.

Aside, am I high enough level to progress in the story now? I can kill the dragon in devilfire grove without too much trouble, if that means anything.

Sanctuary

Yep. MA is just godlike. Ricochet is incredible.

Does Immolation break Mimic/Eliminator holds?

Yes, for sure it breaks the mimic swallow. After the first time it grabbed me, that's the very first thing I decided to test. As far as the Eliminator hold, I'm not sure. It never has a chance to grab me anymore and the best thing it ever gets is one lucky hit before it dies.

What's the fastest way to level vocations? I want to get back to my main class after grabbing some augments.

Level 52 right now, not sure if main-story progression matters, but my current quest is to go kill a griffon or something.

Aside, am I high enough level to progress in the story now? I can kill the dragon in devilfire grove without too much trouble, if that means anything.

The game is easily beaten between levels 45 - 55. The fastest way to gain vocations is to simply finish the game until you reach post-game and then stand on a wall in the high class area that leads to the Duke's Manse.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
They really leverage the elemental factor of enemy weaknesses in BBI. It almost makes sense for an assassin as walking through dark corridors with a weapon/trinket for every possible encounter is actually very ... assassin like. Bring that good holy shield... a fire bow and a dark bow. Ice Sword and lightning sword with a fully rare set of Heaven's Key with you as well an you have something for everyone.

Not much room for activities... but everything you need to murder.

Then there is the MA or the MK or a good Sorc ... where all that shit is already at your fingertips with the most basic gear. Really brought those classes to the forefront as in vanilla the only thing that ever really did anything was lightning or holy.

It still kind of pisses me off that Dark is essentially a useless element. I had big dreams of either a completey dark enchanted assassin or MK just looking evil as all hell and ruining shit. Then you learn it's essentially a useless element. ohwell. Hopefully Deep down fixes that.

RangerBAD

I finally beat Daimon's
second form
. Do I really have to use the Blast Arrow + Conqueror's each time? I do nothing to him otherwise.

After quest milestones. I think completing the Everfall unlocks new items, meeting the duke...there's at least a couple others. There's the idol quest to unlock better gear earlier, too.

Aah oke i think im close to meeting the Duke.
Just gonna spoiler this
Working through the wyrn hunting quests 2 more to go i think.

Dawg

So...

Is this expansion is a lot harder than the original game? Also, can anyone confirm you can get trophies from the original list easier with the expansion? I still need 350 armor/weapons and 50 notice board quests

And is Mystic Knight a viable class for the new content?

Sera O

Banned
I asked this before but it got lost in all the discussion:

Can't decide if I should sell my original if I get this. Should I keep both?

I got rid of the original to get this as I didn't see any reason to hang onto it. The improvements to menus are pretty significant and all original content still is there. No regrets.

edit - except the beginning song is gone. Weird how I miss it since I reacted really badly to it when I first heard it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Fuck me..they really load you with notice board quests don't they.. I don't even know where/what half this shit is. Also, do they actually explain port crystals in the game? I just grabbed the first one from below the pawn guild but that's..it. Then I got invited to the wyrmhunt but does it actually explain how I use these port crystals?

xCobalt

Did you spend time grinding? 52 seems really high for where you're at. You'll be able to beat the game at that level.

Fuck me..they really load you with notice board quests don't they.. I don't even know where/what half this shit is. Also, do they actually explain port crystals in the game? I just grabbed the first one from below the pawn guild but that's..it. Then I got invited to the wyrmhunt but does it actually explain how I use these port crystals?

I think it explains it when you pick it up. You may have turned off the tutorial or tips so it didn't show up. Just place it anywhere on the world map and you can teleport to that location. You could also carry it around and use it as sort of a pit stop. Place it down, teleport to gran soren and heal up, teleport back and pick it up, rinse and repeat.

Tip for those who are doing the griffin quest and going to bluemoon tower (you should get there between lvl 32 and 40 ish)

Do some platforming here, there's at least 9-10 hidden chests in the tower and 3 nodes with ores that you can't get anywhere else.
Don't worry about falling, you fall in the mist and get eaten by a blood cloud and respawn without reloading.

I love the platforming in this game, and I'm really happy that BBI rewards you for it. I wish there was a way to double jump and air dash together!

Tip for those who are doing the griffin quest and going to bluemoon tower (you should get there between lvl 32 and 40 ish)

Do some platforming here, there's at least 9-10 hidden chests in the tower and 3 nodes with ores that you can't get anywhere else.
Don't worry about falling, you fall in the mist and get eaten by a blood cloud and respawn without reloading.

Interesting. In all my time playing I always assumed you just died.

Further tip: you get a portcrystal here. Drop it back at the entrance.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Did you spend time grinding? 52 seems really high for where you're at. You'll be able to beat the game at that level.

I think it explains it when you pick it up. You may have turned off the tutorial or tips so it didn't show up. Just place it anywhere on the world map and you can teleport to that location. You could also carry it around and use it as sort of a pit stop. Place it down, teleport to gran soren and heal up, teleport back and pick it up, rinse and repeat.

I do have it turned off. Thanks for that. It's not that I can't figure it out I just hate when games don't explain shit. Though I turned that junk off cause it was explaining EVERYTHING.

In BBI, on the way to Midnight Helix, just after the area with the broken riftstone and the locked jail cells, there's a door that's locked "by some contraption." Does anyone know where the lever or whatever to open that door is?

I finally beat Daimon's
second form
. Do I really have to use the Blast Arrow + Conqueror's each time? I do nothing to him otherwise.
eventually, no. I can stun lock him with my gold DF Revenant Wail with no buffs.

Until you get better weapons, that's going to be the safest and easiest way

Kyoufu

I finally beat Daimon's
second form

I used neither. Sixfold Bolt directed at his chest had him in stagger-lock. Plus the Ranger Pawns I was using were doing some good damage too.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I still can't quite stun lock Daimon with my Darkening Storm... should I be? I wanna say i have it silver... but it might only be stage1 dragon forged. Once it hits gold will I be able to loop that idiot long enough to climb up his face and gouge it out?

edit: oh .. and i've got daimon - in full
both forms
down to under 7 minutes. The Dire gouge enhancement along with a golden cursed bite is ... just ridiculous. Seriously .. more than half his bar goes off on every twist. It's glorious :)

RangerBAD

Are Framae Blades good? I picked them up after my second Daimon fight. Also got Oblivion Gauntlets. And damn Dire Drakes to hell.

maomaoIYP

The only class that I can see that can compete without too many problems--due to being able to exploit elemental weaknesses--would be the Sorcerer. The MK could as well I suppose, but I don't like the way the cannon works, and it's probably just me, but the shield countering seems too infrequent to really matter. The other three Strider clone classes are all physical until you get a lucky drop (although they can all do Holy/Ice/Lit damage with dagger switching), and while the Fighter can output impressive damage and has survivability, it has no range and I have no idea how it is supposed to handle a Gorecyclops. The Warrior is a "fun" class in vanilla, and I could see it doing "okay" on many things in BBI, but I can also see it being incredibly frustrating on just as many others.

I didn't think MA was that bad in vanilla. I still haven't tried using it in BBI though, I'm rolling with a double sorc + mage + tank party. The only things sorcs can't kill effectively are golems (which are rare in BBI) and magic immune enemies. The super-drakes/wyrms/wyrvens are a little tougher, but still not a real issue.
Orges, living armor, sirens, strigoi all get shredded with a simple levin.
Death requires bolide.
Everything else gets vaporized with holy enchantment + focused bolt. I can insta-kill gorechimeras/liches who haven't noticed me yet.

I've tried using MK and it's not anywhere as good as a sorc, cannon works fine, but takes too damn long for certain stuff like prisoner gorecyclops or daimon.

Does anyone have 4 war bugle horns to spare? I need 50 and I only have 46 and I've had this quest logged for so long it's started to bug my OCD that I'm not diagnosed with.

my gamertag and info and pawn information is listed in the google doc: thanks. I hope there is a way to send all 4 at once instead of having to hire and rehire my pawn 4 times to send each bugle horn as a gift...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhmZYod-EUivdFJwRHJwenJzTVVnMkU2WDVVTWQyS3c#gid=0

Corsick

Hello everyone, I just played DD for the first time with the DA expansion and love the game. I'm on Daimon currently and have had decent progress but have skipped Death as I did so little damage that I was getting frustrated as a warrior (I'm starting to think this vocation is very flawed because of how dangerous/slow 2h melee is). I will be adding my PSN info and pawn info to the google doc as well.

My one question is this, is stacking strength buffs or switching to an archer of some sort the best solution to beating Daimon? I can easily see myself spending an hour+ on him if my pawns die early and I'm left having to melee him down (assuming I survive). I am level 57 with a level 57 fighter pawn atm. Unfortunately I have not done a good job managing the items needed for enhancing my armor so my pawn has some relatively meager enhancements. Hopefully he isn't useless to others, but when I changed his inclinations he became pretty decent for me all in all.

Thanks in advance and it's good to be here.

PS: Is the most convenient way to post pics from the browser of your console?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
On my way to fight the dragon. Anything I should know before I go all in with this? I got the vest and scroll from the dragonforged.

Sanctuary

Quick, someone rent my 84 Fighter. Really starving for RC now.

edit: whoops. I'll take another picture later.

Also, the Sovereign's Mantle just dropped for me, and wow. That thing is freaking awesome for a melee class. Doesn't hurt that it looks nice too.

Eusis

Quick, someone rent my 84 Fighter. Really starving for RC now.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y493/Yrautcnas1/466714_142228092627887_1102366886_o_zps51709169.jpg

Also, the Sovereign's Mantle just dropped for me, and wow. That thing is freaking awesome for a melee class. Doesn't hurt that it looks nice too.
Huh, I think I just hired you after losing a prior pawn and deciding to just replace both.

Incidentally, do you still get RC if your pawn dies with someone else before being sent back? Because BBI's kind of been a bitch (I resummoned though.)

EDIT: Removed the IMG tags because, uhhh, I'm not sure that's a picture to freely share when you look closer.

Arklite

My pawn is talking even more after I hit a couple knowledge chairs and told her to talk less. She used to be the quietest in Vanilla, not really sure what's going on.

Also sorcerer vocation feels stingy as hell in upgrading ranks. I upgraded mage from nothing to full ranks in an hour and half, but sorcerer is crawling.

Sanctuary

Hmm, not sure what was wrong with it, but I edited it out. I would have just used the shots from Facebook, but they were too large.

phierce

Can you create more than one pawn? Can you edit your pawn's appearance afterwards?
No, you can't make more than one.

Yes, you can edit the appearance a few different ways. 1) there's a barbershop in Gran Soren (can edit hair and voice) and 2) you can buy Secret of Metamorphosis, at the Encampment from Johnathan, for 10,000 RCs which will allow you to edit everything on your character and your pawn an unlimited number of times.

Eusis

Hmm, not sure what was wrong with it, but I edited it out. I would have just used the shots from Facebook, but they were too large.
If you pay attention there's the edge of a gaping hole in the background, revealing what happens to Gran Soren post-dragon.

EDIT: And now that I check I see you're on 360, and the guy I hired (The Dude) just has the same helmet and almost the same level. So I got your PS3 double I guess.

It's gone for whatever reason. Not sure if it was intentional or just an oversight, but yeah, no more buying them in Gran Soren.
I'm hoping it's an accident that gets fixed, because it's really dumb to force me to gather those in the environment. Especially as that way is probably cheaper anyway, just time consuming.

Top Bottom