• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Holy shit. I just killed the cursed dragon that appears
when you pick up the void key in the Pilgrim's gauntlet
. It hit me like four times in which Tenacity activated FOUR FUCKING TIMES IN A ROW. I beat it at level 64 on hard mode. Focused bolt+holy enchantment using Hallowed staff=insane damage. I did kinda cheese it towards the end by going to the hallway opposite to the void key area because it chased me there and almost killed me. Thanks to the STUPID pawns that keep running towards me instead of drawing agro away. I just hate it when I go to the rift and search specific pawns close to my level to only find shit inclinations.

Edit: it dragonforged all of my shit even though they were one or two star leveled up only. Proper reward for all the damn close calls.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Holy shit. I just killed the cursed dragon that appears
when you pick up the void key in the Pilgrim's gauntlet
. It hit me like four times in which Tenacity activated FOUR FUCKING TIMES IN A ROW. I beat it at level 64 on hard mode. Focused bolt+holy enchantment using Hallowed staff=insane damage. I did kinda cheese it towards the end by going to the hallway opposite to the void key area because it chased me there and almost killed me. Thanks to the STUPID pawns that keep running towards me instead of drawing agro away. I just hate it when I go to the rift and search specific pawns close to my level to only find shit inclinations.

Edit: it dragonforged all of my shit even though they were one or two star leveled up only. Proper reward for all the damn close calls.
Nice. Feels good don't it? I love this game for its moments like this especially.

I wanted to quickly dragonforge my new BBI items, so I went and beat the game in NG+. Poor Grigori lol, we hit him with spell-synched Maelstroms and he dropped like a sack of potatoes. It's nice to have access to post-game Everfall again; I was starting to run low on wakestones.

Also, I finally got around to clearing out my stash of items. I formed a party where all 4 of us had Suasion and sold all my old weapons and armor. I'm rich! Pretty sure I won't have to worry about gold on this character again.

Did you beat Daimon's
true form
, by the way? If not...
do revisit the entire BBI. You will be surprised at what you find. ;)

Nice one dude, now it's time to through BBI again. The real Dark Arisen starts here :)

MRW I enter post-Daimon BBI and realize my main pawn and I are too weak

biHam6L.gif

But seriously, this is truly the game that keeps on giving.

Purification is so stupid. Should I stack a lot of level 2 weapons and purify them? I purified one weapon (hallowed dragon), but then after leaving to get new cursed items, the new blue ones are chilling focus and hallowed fucking dragon. Why am I getting duplicates? Does the table reset when I leave and get new items or what? Or is the stupid pre-determined table filled with duplicates?

Sanctuary

Purification is so stupid. Should I stack a lot of level 2 weapons and purify them? I purified one weapon (hallowed dragon), but then after leaving to get new cursed items, the new blue ones are chilling focus and hallowed fucking dragon. Why am I getting duplicates? Does the table reset when I leave and get new items or what? Or is the stupid pre-determined table filled with duplicates?

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Purification

The outcome of cursed item purification is predetermined, on a fixed but apparently 'random' list. Saving before purification and reloading (or Godsbaning) will not change the results for purification.

On purification of a specific type of cursed item (ie Gear Lv.3, or Armor Lv.2) its 'list' will advance, thus giving a new result on the next purification of the same type.

The 'lists' for gear, weapons, and armor contain different results for each vocation colors, in most cases there is only one possibility per color for a given purification but there are exceptions. On purification the list advances for all three color types, not just the color type of the item obtained.

The outcome of cursed item purification is predetermined, on a fixed but apparently 'random' list. Saving before purification and reloading (or Godsbaning) will not change the results for purification.

On purification of a specific type of cursed item (ie Gear Lv.3, or Armor Lv.2) its 'list' will advance, thus giving a new result on the next purification of the same type.

The 'lists' for gear, weapons, and armor contain different results for each vocation colors, in most cases there is only one possibility per color for a given purification but there are exceptions. On purification the list advances for all three color types, not just the color type of the item obtained.

I already know that. This is the interesting bit:

On purification the list advances for all three color types, not just the color type of the item obtained

I read today that each color has a separate list so I am not certain. I tried purifying blue>yellow but the latter is always the same. I have to test it more.

Edit: so what I was doing before was correct. I just have to purify something else to advance the table; so it is a tetris drop table. I have three level 1 weapons and two level 2 weapons; I can't get a single decent magic bow because all three yellow tables have shitty duplicates in a row that I have to skip by purifying to another color. Heck, even blue is half bad for lvl2; one is a good stave and the other is a duplicate archistaff.

xHiryu

glad this ot is still alive and kicking, the pc release is one of the smartest things Capcom has ever done. idk why they dont port to current gen consoles for extra funds
dd2 pls

Bought this during the sale and started playing, loving it so far.

Got a few questions:
What's the deal with Rook? He isn't leveling for some reason.
How/where do you craft gear?
At which level should I start doing the DLC area? I'm level 16 with... not very good gear, mostly stuff bought at the first vendor that is only slightly better than starter stuff.
Where's the "Unholy mother of fuck, will you shut up already?!" button for pawns?

Unai

Got a few questions:
At which level should I start doing the DLC area? I'm level 16 with... not very good gear, mostly stuff bought at the first vendor that is only slightly better than starter stuff.
Where's the "Unholy mother of fuck, will you shut up already?!" button for pawns?

1 - Only your pawn level up with you. Other pawns you have to dismiss them and get others.

2 - You don't craft gear, just upgrade the ones you have or buy/find others.

3 - The DLC is usually better left for higjer levels or NG+, but you can go there earlier, explore the beginning and maybe get some good items if you want.

4 - There's an option in the settings to disable pawn chatter.

xuchu

Got a few questions:

Throw Rook into the brine...as soon as possible!!!!

Wow, Metal Golems are a big design flaw in this game. Literally the only way to beat it as a Magick Archer, Warrior, or Fighter is to climb its head and hope it walks near the floating amulet so you can jump off and hit it. They really didn't think that one through (or if they did it was a stupid as fuck idea).

1 - Only your pawn level up with you. Other pawns you have to dismiss them and get others.

2 - You don't craft gear, just upgrade the ones you have or buy/find others.

3 - The DLC is usually better left for higjer levels or NG+, but you can go there earlier, explore the beginning and maybe get some good items if you want.

4 - There's an option in the settings to disable pawn chatter.

I see.

Any suggestions on where to buy gear? My current look is a bit ragtag, and I'd like to get atleast somewhat fashionable, could also use some new weapons (started as a strider, so daggers and bows).

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I see.

Any suggestions on where to buy gear? My current look is a bit ragtag, and I'd like to get atleast somewhat fashionable, could also use some new weapons (started as a strider, so daggers and bows).

There's a weaponsmith in Gran Soren near the inn. He sells some clothing/armors as well, and you can upgrade (enhance) your gear through him. There's another vendor in the residential area who can also forge items for you. The weapons he sells are generally novelties and not really worth it (in my opinion), but he does offer some pretty decent armors.

bobawesome

Think of it like a raid boss where everyone contributes damage over their individual sessions. There are places that keep track of the Ur Dragon's health, like the Dragon's Dogma subreddit, and you can swoop in during Grace (a period after the dragon has been killed, I forget the exact length) and a single blow, maybe a few, will kill it and you reap the rewards.

xuchu

So I tried fighting the Ur Dragon for the first time...

ChzUb.jpg

I don't even think I made a scratch? What is this monstrosity?

Fight against the offline UR-dragon for practice. IIRC you play a sorcerer yes? Use Holy affinity focused bolt as it auto-aims to the hearts. Your BBI weapons should do work.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So I tried fighting the Ur Dragon for the first time...

ChzUb.jpg

I don't even think I made a scratch? What is this monstrosity?

To add to xuchu's post, the Ur-Dragon is a special boss that has an online mode and an offline mode, depending on whether you've switched online mode on or off in the options menu.

The offline UD is much weaker than the online one and can be taken down in one fight. The online UD literally has millions of HPs and is meant to be taken down by everyone who's online. That's why you barely scratched him. The upside is that when he dies, everyone who's participated in chipping down his life gets loot (the more damage dealt, the more/better loot), especially if you dealt the killing blow. Also, for something like 30 minutes or an hour, the UD enters a "Grace period" where he has much less HP and you can kill him on your own.

Honestly I've never really bothered with it. It's pre-Dark Arisen content, meaning the loot in Bitterblack Isle is much better anyways.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Question

How does recruiting pawns work

Can you only hire your friends pawns, or is there some kind of global index you can use?

Find one of those special stones and enter it. You get sent to a space where random pawns appear, but from there you can also access a menu where you can choose any 2 pawns you want. The only thing is that any pawn beyond your own level will cost rift fragments. So, as a general rule you want to pick pawns that are equal to your level or below. Rift fragments can be rare, especially before Bitterblack Isle, and they're best kept for BBI where you can buy end-game equipment with them.

If you ever lose one of those pawns in battle (i.e. they die and disappear because you took too long to res them), they get sent back to the stone rift, where you can get them back.

Have a question regarding changing vocations, can I still use weapons and skills from a different vocation after change?

Currently I'm a strider, thinking of switching to warrior, can I still use bows and associated skills along with the greatsword? If I then switch to ranger with the longbow, can I use longbows and greatswords together?

Have a question regarding changing vocations, can I still use weapons and skills from a different vocation after change?

Currently I'm a strider, thinking of switching to warrior, can I still use bows and associated skills along with the greatsword? If I then switch to ranger with the longbow, can I use longbows and greatswords together?

Nope, each vocation has its own weapons it has to use.

Anteater

glad this ot is still alive and kicking, the pc release is one of the smartest things Capcom has ever done. idk why they dont port to current gen consoles for extra funds
dd2 pls

It's probably coming, Capcom like to spread out their releases, it's released on PC first because it wasn't on pc before

About to play this game for the first time. Can I get some tips before starting?

Like, what is a noob-friendly, all-encompassing sort of class? And what difficulty should I start on? Keep in mind I love a good challenge in my games. I'm a Souls vet, and have little trouble with those games. I'm wondering if I should begin DD on Hard mode.

It's not a hard game but fighter is noob friendly since you can block early in the game and they have good defense, just remember not to stick to one class especially once you max it out, you can switch classes at the inn, game is more fun if you experiment with different classes/abilities.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

No. However, there are three hybrid vocations (Assassin, Mystic Knight, and Magick Archer) that allow you to use weapons from two of the basic vocations (Fighter, Strider, Mage).

Note to self: REMEMBER TO BRING STAMINA CURATIVES BEFORE FIGHTING DAIMON, YOU FUCKING IDIOT

TbZTgSY.jpg

Ahem

Well, at least I did eventually take him down. Holy shit what an insane fight. Easily ranks up there with the hardest Dark Souls bosses.

Think of it like a raid boss where everyone contributes damage over their individual sessions. There are places that keep track of the Ur Dragon's health, like the Dragon's Dogma subreddit, and you can swoop in during Grace (a period after the dragon has been killed, I forget the exact length) and a single blow, maybe a few, will kill it and you reap the rewards.

Fight against the offline UR-dragon for practice. IIRC you play a sorcerer yes? Use Holy affinity focused bolt as it auto-aims to the hearts. Your BBI weapons should do work.

To add to xuchu's post, the Ur-Dragon is a special boss that has an online mode and an offline mode, depending on whether you've switched online mode on or off in the options menu.

The offline UD is much weaker than the online one and can be taken down in one fight. The online UD literally has millions of HPs and is meant to be taken down by everyone who's online. That's why you barely scratched him. The upside is that when he dies, everyone who's participated in chipping down his life gets loot (the more damage dealt, the more/better loot), especially if you dealt the killing blow. Also, for something like 30 minutes or an hour, the UD enters a "Grace period" where he has much less HP and you can kill him on your own.

Honestly I've never really bothered with it. It's pre-Dark Arisen content, meaning the loot in Bitterblack Isle is much better anyways.

Thanks for the detailed info.

draetenth

Weapons and associated skills are tied to classes.

I.E.:

Only warriors can wield great swords
Only Rangers can wield Long Bows
Striders, Rangers, Magick Archers,and Assassins can all wield daggers so if you unlock dagger skills with one class, it's useable for the other three without ranking them up.

However, I don't think it's been pointed out, but the Augments you can unlock can be used by any class. Augments are pretty much a big reason why you would want to rank up different vocations (i.e. clout from Warrior for melee fighters, articulacy/acuity from Sorcerer for magic users etc.).

Nope, each vocation has its own weapons it has to use.

No. However, there are three hybrid vocations (Assassin, Mystic Knight, and Magick Archer) that allow you to use weapons from two of the basic vocations (Fighter, Strider, Mage).

Weapons and associated skills are tied to classes.

I.E.:

Only warriors can wield great swords
Only Rangers can wield Long Bows
Striders, Rangers, Magick Archers,and Assassins can all wield daggers so if you unlock dagger skills with one class, it's useable for the other three without ranking them up.

However, I don't think it's been pointed out, but the Augments you can unlock can be used by any class. Augments are pretty much a big reason why you would want to rank up different vocations (i.e. clout from Warrior for melee fighters, articulacy/acuity from Sorcerer for magic users etc.).

Hmm. That's a bit of a shame, wanted to have a greatsword/longbow combo. Oh well.

So what's is vocation rank? I'm level 32 with strider rank 9, is it a good time to switch to something else?

jonjonaug

Note to self: REMEMBER TO BRING STAMINA CURATIVES BEFORE FIGHTING DAIMON, YOU FUCKING IDIOT

TbZTgSY.jpg

Ahem

Well, at least I did eventually take him down. Holy shit what an insane fight. Easily ranks up there with the hardest Dark Souls bosses.

Now go through BBI again for the True Experience.

EDIT: Oh wait this is 2nd loop never mind. Good job.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Hmm. That's a bit of a shame, wanted to have a greatsword/longbow combo. Oh well.

So what's is vocation rank? I'm level 32 with strider rank 9, is it a good time to switch to something else?

Each vocation can be leveled up to rank 10. There might be another skill or Augment that's unlocked at max rank for each vocation, don't quite remember, but once you've gotten everything you wanted, yeah, it would be a good time to switch.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

TbZTgSY.jpg

Ahem

I forget the name, but you should use the Talismans/Elixirs that boost your Magick/Strength, depending on your class. You can use those 4 times in a row, multiplying your damage tremendously. So if you're, say, a Sorcerer, your spells will stagger Daimon much more easily, and you'll kill him in no time. Use that in conjunction with those XP boost items, and drop your pawns, and you can basically farm Daimon for levels (you'll gain 3-5 levels per kill above lvl 100, it's insane) and BBI gear since the chests refresh every 3 or 4 days. You'll get to lvl 200 in no time. Then get your main pawn back, rinse and repeat, except it'll be even faster for him/her.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hah, nah, I wouldn't say that. If you take him on at a certain level, maybe -- but in this game it's easy to "break" the balance and become completely overpowered, such as stacking 4x periapts, exploding bolts and spamming the ranger's tenfold bolts in its face (or climbing it + thousand kisses). That'll make it go down in literally seconds, before it can do anything. The hardest bosses in Dark Souls games can't be cheesed like that.

I forget the name, but you should use the Talismans/Elixirs that boost your Magick/Strength, depending on your class. You can use those 4 times in a row, multiplying your damage tremendously. So if you're, say, a Sorcerer, your spells will stagger Daimon much more easily, and you'll kill him in no time. Use that in conjunction with those XP boost items, and drop your pawns, and you can basically farm Daimon for levels (you'll gain 3-5 levels per kill above lvl 100, it's insane) and BBI gear since the chests refresh every 3 or 4 days. You'll get to lvl 200 in no time. Then get your main pawn back, rinse and repeat, except it'll be even faster for him/her.
Yeah, you can totally break the game like that. I wouldn't use the XP boosting stuff though. I literally never used those things and still got to level 200 pretty easily. Didn't even farm him (or
Death
) for the lv. 3 stuff that often. o_O

Thanks for the info. I have a good amount of those periapts by now since I've always just put them in my storage and never used them.

Hah, nah, I wouldn't say that. If you take him on at a certain level, maybe -- but in this game it's easy to "break" the balance and become completely overpowered, such as stacking 4x periapts, exploding bolts and spamming the ranger's tenfold bolts in its face (or climbing it + thousand kisses). That'll make it go down in literally seconds, before it can do anything. The hardest bosses in Dark Souls games can't be cheesed like that.

lFOj8oz.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W5f0vKyABk

In all seriousness though, it's a different kind of difficult. Dark Souls bosses like Nameless King and Champion Gundyr are definitely harder skill/reaction/timing-wise, but Awakened Daimon took me like 40 minutes to kill lol. I was exhausted by the end of it. I tend to not use cheesy methods unless I'm getting really bored of the game or I have nothing else left to do.

Yeah, you can totally break the game like that. I wouldn't use the XP boosting stuff though. I literally never used those things and still got to level 200 pretty easily. Didn't even farm him (or
Death
) for the lv. 3 stuff that often. o_O

Death is an asshole. I try to run away every time he appears but he usually manages to swipe one of my pawns before I make it to a door.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
lol haven't seen this image in a while

Yes, some Souls bosses can be cheesed, but not only do you need a very very specific build/setup (in DD class almost doesn't matter, it's a bit stronger with rangers and tenfold flurry, but so long as you got the right periapts stacked you can nuke the bosses, min-maxing or not, and you don't need super high risk setups that require the tearstone rings etc.), the authentically hardest ones really can't (Orphan, Fume Knight, Nameless King, Manus, etc.).

In all seriousness though, it's a different kind of difficult. Dark Souls bosses like Nameless King and Champion Gundyr are definitely harder skill/reaction/timing-wise, but Awakened Daimon took me like 40 minutes to kill lol. I was exhausted by the end of it. I tend to not use cheesy methods unless I'm getting really bored of the game or I have nothing else left to do.
Yeah, of course. Still, I do save my stacked 4x periapts for bosses like this because 40 min is just way too much time to spend on any boss, haha.

xuchu

I've actually never killed Death lol. Or maybe once. Can't remember. Not worth it IMO.

4x conqueror periapts and tenfold flurry w/explosive arrow. You'll just stunlock it to death. More exp than Daimon and if you play on hard mode (2x exp) and use an exp boosting item, you'll hit the 9999999exp cap. Great for farming your way to 200 but there's no real need to once you pass a certain level that's comfortable for you. I do it sometimes to give a ton of rift crystals to players that need it.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I've actually never killed Death lol. Or maybe once. Can't remember. Not worth it IMO.

Great for farming your way to 200 but there's no real need to once you pass a certain level that's comfortable for you.

I recall Death dropping some unique items needed for Goldforging certain weapons, but if you're lucky with the drops, you may only need to kill him once and forge however many copies you desire.

xuchu

I recall Death dropping some unique items needed for Goldforging certain weapons, but if you're lucky with the drops, you may only need to kill him once and forge however many copies you desire.

Yes I believe you're right. And definitely forge the crafting items as I remember him being very stingy.

Jeiiya

What is the cheapest way to get this game. I recently got a gaming PC. Any humble bundle keys floating around?

The game's on sale right now on Steam for 60% off. That's $12 USD. This month's (it's too late to get this one) Humble Monthly included it as well for $12 USD.

So...

Ogres get "excited" at the sight of women. They drop "unspeakable meat."

Am I reading to much into this? Or do I have Ogre cock in my pockets?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So...

Ogres get "excited" at the sight of women. They drop "unspeakable meat."

Am I reading to much into this? Or do I have Ogre cock in my pockets?
Hahahaha

Well. Elder Ogres are female, and get excited at the sight of men. They also drop unspeakable meat, but also, poxy flesh. Mmmmm

Defeated Awakened Daimon again. This time it only took ~30 minutes! I'm level 130 and it's still a very rough fight. His first form killed me a handful of times with those goddamn flying uppercut and insanely long-range swipe attacks. The fight against his second form went well until he reached <50% HP and went apeshit with nearly constant Bolide and Seism spam, and those huge swipe attacks. My poor Sorcerer could hardly cast a spell without getting blown the fuck up by a meteor or exploding rock. I learned from my previous encounter and took lots of stamina curatives, so his vortex never got me. My poor pawns almost made it to the end... but with 1 HP bar remaining he used his vortex when I was across the room from everyone else, and I was unable to get in range and cast High Gicel in time to save them. I did discover you can stand behind the pillars in the room and they block the vortex's pull.

So the main lesson from my last fight was to bring stamina curatives. This time my lessons learned were:
- Set Holy Affinity on my Sorcerer, because my poor Mage pawn often got knocked down or killed before she could cast it on me
- Test if High/Grand Ingle can stagger Daimon out of his vortex, since that spell is much quicker to cast than High Gicel
- Set the Athleticism augment next time, since I spend about 90% of the fight running either to avoid attacks or to revive pawns

Now it's time to go farm wakestones in the Everfall again.

Btw I really like Daimon's theme songs:
Coils Of Light (1st Form)
2nd Form Theme

Is there a way to edit character appearance in-game? Or do I have to use external tools for that?

If you have defeated the dragon, then you can buy the Secret of Metamorphosis from Johnathan in the Encampment. This lets you edit your character and main pawn as many times as you wish from the main menu.

If you are not in post-game yet, you can buy the Art of Metamorphosis, which is a one-time use version of the item mentioned above.

rpg_fan

I can't speak for other situations, but as a magic archer, Death is the guy to farm. Spawn him in the first courtyard, and pull him back to the hallway. Spam ricochet arrows till he's done. Profit.

So, once I put down a portcrystal next to a healing spring and effectively have infinite party health restore items, do I even need to bother with other curatives? I have a metric fuckton of various curatives in storage, is selling all of that a good move?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
So, once I put down a portcrystal next to a healing spring and effectively have infinite party health restore items, do I even need to bother with other curatives? I have a metric fuckton of various curatives in storage, is selling all of that a good move?

Greenwarish? No, you could probably do without that. I like to keep a few Secret Softeners on hand for depetrification. You may not need them now, but they'll come in handy during a later quest. And if you venture to BBI, you'll notice enemies/bosses will make full use of the various debilitations in the game, so it's up to you if you want to keep a little bit of everything stored for later.

Killed the dragon in Devilfire Grove.

Holy. Shit.

The fight lasted the entire in-game day.
Would have probably been easier if I didn't switch vocation earlier and had half my skills missing.
And out of all the equipment it could dragonforge, it did it to my cape which is entirely worthless and only wear for fashion.

Also, what's a good place for hunting griffins? And is there a trick to them? I saw one flying once, but it just flew a few circles and buggered off, didn't want to fight.

Anteater

the coils of light's japanese version performs differently too, I love the eng ver though, I find it interesting for a boss song

Killed the dragon in Devilfire Grove.

Holy. Shit.

The fight lasted the entire in-game day.
Would have probably been easier if I didn't switch vocation earlier and had half my skills missing.
And out of all the equipment it could dragonforge, it did it to my cape which is entirely worthless and only wear for fashion.

Also, what's a good place for hunting griffins? And is there a trick to them? I saw one flying once, but it just flew a few circles and buggered off, didn't want to fight.

think there's an open area near the male bandits camp that you can find a griffin, it's been so long tho so I'm not 100% sure, you need to use corpses to lure them down

Top Bottom