• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

think there's an open area near the male bandits camp that you can find a griffin, it's been so long tho so I'm not 100% sure, you need to use corpses to lure them down

Yeah, the griffin I mentioned was there, but how do you use corpses? I have no idea where to place them and they all disappear quickly.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
the coils of light's japanese version performs differently too, I love the eng ver though, I find it interesting for a boss song

think there's an open area near the male bandits camp that you can find a griffin, it's been so long tho so I'm not 100% sure, you need to use corpses to lure them down

I almost felt like the game doesn't "deserve" this song, regardless of language. It works tremendously well as a final boss theme, something that's the culmination of everything you've been through and the conclusion of a great story. The problem is: the game doesn't have a soul, a great story and an interesting world that would live up to the song. Although, admittedly, the Dark Arisen content is better written and has a much better story than the regular game.

The hype end-of-fight and victory themes against big creatures are totally awesome though, because the victory is often hard fought and the fights are epic. The first time I took down a manticore and an ogre - especially the ogre, since I was way underpowered - felt great.

There's something incredibly satisfying about loosing a deathly arrow with perfect timing.

In slightly related news, I solo'd the caged gorecyclops.
I'm a colossal pussy and I love cheese.

Man, Dragon's Dogma 2 could end up becoming a game of the generation if they keep the battle system and improve on the story and open world jeez

Is hiring pawns essential for this game or can I finish the game without them? Kinda feels like cheating, or is it intended that way?

As useful and powerful as they are, they are not substitutes for real players, and while I have no doubt some people do challenge runs without them, the game is clearly designed around having few at all times, it is by no means cheating.

Unai

Yep, it's specially useful to hire pawns in different roles than your character and personal pawn. The game feels designed around it.

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I mean using other peoples pawns, from online. Is that also necessary and intended?
As I think there are some pretty high lvl ones

The Gazer on Bitterblack Isle is defeated, no cheese this time, just a proper fight.

Dear fucking god. There was a point during that fight where I thought to myself: "Surely, they don't intend me to do that..."
I'm so happy that I was wrong.

"Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!"

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I mean using other peoples pawns, from online. Is that also necessary and intended?
As I think there are some pretty high lvl ones

Ones that are higher level than you need rift crystals to hire. So far I've only been offered pawns of the same level as me (which can be hired for free), only once saw a pawn that was higher level and since it was ~50lvls higher than me it required far, far more crystals than it was possible for me to own at that point. And considering how those crystals are very useful later on for acquiring powerful weapons, you shouldn't waste them on stuff like that. Just hire pawns at your own level and don't worry much about it.

Briarios

So, I loved this game on the 360, and I wanted it on the PC -- but I have an old rig and the specs were below the required. I decided to take a chance during the sale and return it if the performance was too bad.

I'm shocked at how well optimized the game is! I have an i3 with a 750ti and I'm running it at a solid 60fps with medium-high settings. It's a thousand times better than the 360.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience in case there was anyone on the fence because of their set up.

Hellraider

So, I loved this game on the 360, and I wanted it on the PC -- but I have an old rig and the specs were below the required. I decided to take a chance during the sale and return it if the performance was too bad.

I'm shocked at how well optimized the game is! I have an i3 with a 750ti and I'm running it at a solid 60fps with medium-high settings. It's a thousand times better than the 360.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience in case there was anyone on the fence because of their set up.

Sadly, Dragon's Dogma performance on console is terrible. It is so bad to the point that it stains the whole experience. That was the reason why it was my most wanted remaster for years.

I'm also on a 750ti and the only thing I had to sacrifice was a little of draw distance in order to get stable 60 instead of 40-60. PC version is just excellent.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Any mods you guys would recommend?

infinite sprint and infinite weight limit, of course

Don't listen to this.

Honestly, I think the game is perfectly fine without mods, most of which are just visual modifications anyway. If your system can handle an ENB, I like this one with a few personal tweaks, but it's far from necessary. I guess if you plan on playing as a caster, this bug fix would be helpful.

Any mods you guys would recommend?

Not a mod but i use the "DDDA Save Manager" which watches the save folder and backs up your saves automatically.

I have also modded the intro to the one used in the original release and i have unlocked the customise character options in the menu using a cheat engine profile from reddit.

I can't remember but i'm sure i also changed the bloom level on the lamps. Nothing game breaking and i'm going to return to the game when i finish ffxv as i haven't played in nearly a year.

Wow lol, 3rd time was definitely the charm for Awakened Daimon. Following the lessons I outlined in my previous post, I took him down in about 10 minutes, with only 1 wakestone used and no pawn deaths. It also helps that I purified the Sanguine Stalk (best archistaff in the game) after killing him last time, and was able to quickly gold rarify it, so my magick power got a huge boost. My holy focused bolts are now able to stagger his 2nd form.

Also:

Sh1jiAo.jpg

So I've been repeatedly running the Rotunda of Dread for XP, rare materials, also hoping to run into dragons to dragonforge my stuff, and discovered that this game really, really hates my main pawn.
Six or seven times now, mostly consecutive, she (and only she) got instantly killed in a way that didn't allow me to revive her: thrown off a cliff, petrified with no curatives on hand, swallowed by an Evil Eye (that was also bugged out, invisible and invulnerable, twice, rare bug my ass) and several times where I have no idea what in the fuck happened, she just disappeared at some point during the fight.

Can pawns become alcoholics? I worry about her.

Can anyone suggest a UI and or texture mods? I found the ENB and I'll play with that, but my biggest problem is the UI so far.

There's no mod that I know of that overhauls the UI... but there's mods to enhance what's already there. Such as the easy clothing inventory ID, which adds a blue aura around clothing items' icons in the inventory so that they become more distinct from armour. There's also HD HP - Custom GUI textures and icons Overhaul, which replaces alot of the icons with higher res ones.

For textures, check out HD Environment Texture Overhaul and Gransys Texture Improvement Project. I've heard that using texture replaces like these might increase load times as ENB do, not 100% sure on that.

The (post-Daimon) Firedrake + Frostwyrm duo in Sparyard of Scant Mercy might be the hardest encounter in the game. Holy shit they kicked my team's ass. The Frostwyrm spammed spells so fast I could barely cast one of my own. The Firedrake backed it up and was constantly grabbing my pawns or using that roar attack that kills them outright. That was a crazy fight.

w2HboFm.jpg

Yeah, put a bunch of Cloudwine in their inventory and you'll notice them becoming dependent on the stuff.

Good to know.

...The Firedrake backed it up and was constantly grabbing my pawns or using that roar attack that kills them outright...

I know that it does no damage to the player, but move is such bullshit. No way to stop or counter it, just deal with the fact you will now have to run around and revive pawns.

The only thing that's more bullshit is the Evil Eye bug where it becomes invisible and invulnerable. Do yourself a favor, every single time you see an Evil Eye in the Rotunda of Dread, just reload the encounter, waste of fucking time.

Awakened Daimon is on farm status now. Holy focused bolts + Ranger pawn using Great Gamble/Tenfold Flurry lets me basically stunlock his 2nd form. And I tested Grand Ingle for interrupting his rift vortex: it works! So that makes the fight even easier, since Grand Ingle is super quick to cast (especially with the Wyrmking's Ring + Articulacy augment). I no longer have to worry about losing pawns to that damn move.

On another note, Maelstrom is one of the greatest spells in any action RPG ever. It never gets old casting it from afar and watching your enemies swirl around in the sky and die.

I know that it does no damage to the player, but move is such bullshit. No way to stop or counter it, just deal with the fact you will now have to run around and revive pawns.

The only thing that's more bullshit is the Evil Eye bug where it becomes invisible and invulnerable. Do yourself a favor, every single time you see an Evil Eye in the Rotunda of Dread, just reload the encounter, waste of fucking time.

Yeah the roar is kinda dumb, but what really makes me salty is Death's scythe attack. Instantly sending my pawns back to the rift isn't a cool mechanic, it's just fucking annoying.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah the roar is kinda dumb, but what really makes me salty is Death's scythe attack. Instantly sending my pawns back to the rift isn't a cool mechanic, it's just fucking annoying.
I have to agree. I kind of get why they did that, 'cause, well, reviving pawns is usually trivial so you need a really serious threat for once, but it does end up being annoying. Fortunately riftstones are fairly common across BBI, but still.

Ah yes, my first encounter with the Grim Reaper: spawned, puts everyone to sleep within seconds and then insta-kills us all one by one (and left me for last, cheeky prick).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
One thing that could have improved the Death thing, IMO, is if pawns actually learned to stay the fuck away when he charges his scythe. Like, you'd keep the real danger of Death taking you and your pawns (especially if you don't have 100% sleep resist), but I hate when pawns actually warn about the scythe attack (I forget what they say, something like "if that hits us, it's over for us!" or something), but still fail to get the fuck away from it. Like, come on son.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Yeah, I hate it. I like sending all of my hired pawns back to their owners with good ratings, gifts, and comments, but when they die to the scythe, I'm not able to do any of that, they're sent back with 3-star ratings and nothing else.

Baalzebup

One thing that could have improved the Death thing, IMO, is if pawns actually learned to stay the fuck away when he charges his scythe. Like, you'd keep the real danger of Death taking you and your pawns (especially if you don't have 100% sleep resist), but I hate when pawns actually warn about the scythe attack (I forget what they say, something like "if that hits us, it's over for us!" or something), but still fail to get the fuck away from it. Like, come on son.
This, so much this.

On topic of the pawn killing roar, I don't mind the thing, with the Dragonkin killing pawns basically at will and all, since reviving them is fast and easy and I find that it projects the idea of the Dragonkin's inherent superiority/mastery over the pawns well into an actual gameplay element, albeit one that does lead to a few moments of busywork now and then. I'll take it, warts and all, much like the game itself. Death's Scythe is much more aggravating as the resultant busywork is far greater.

Baalzebup

how do I unlock ninefold arrow skill for magik archer?

Wiki says with purification of BBI gear, do I have to be magic archer vocation for it to spawn?
The same wiki should have pretty detailed info as to how the classes affect the purification results. Your class, and that of your pawns, determine the results. The two rented pawns have no effect on it. For the purpose of purifying Bitterblack Gears into Magic Archer Rings, you should actually have both yourself and your pawn as either Rangers or Striders, as they are the two pure Yellow classes and the Magic Archer Rings are in the Yellow purification table. Lv.1 and Lv.3 Gear only, mind you. The Lv 2s won't roll Ninefold Bolt.

Baalzebup

Just beat Daimon. That... was an interesting choice of music.
Now work your way back down there again :)

Just startes playing this today. I'm digging it. Can I remake my main pawn? He looks like shit because I rushed through.
Yeah, this was covered just a while ago.
If you have defeated the dragon, then you can buy the Secret of Metamorphosis from Johnathan in the Encampment. This lets you edit your character and main pawn as many times as you wish from the main menu.

If you are not in post-game yet, you can buy the Art of Metamorphosis, which is a one-time use version of the item mentioned above.

ggx2ac

Just startes playing this today. I'm digging it. Can I remake my main pawn? He looks like shit because I rushed through.

At end game, you can buy an item (I think it was called metamorphosis) using riftcrystals as currency iirc to get to use the character creation tool anytime with your main character and pawn.

Now work your way back down there again :)

Already beat the Gazer.

Wat.

I thought it was gonna get a buff like every other monster, my first time dealing with it took 5-6 self-eye-pokes to kill it, instead I took 80% of its HP during a single stun.

Also, Maneaters are bullshit. Hate those fucking things. I don't mind mimic-like enemies, I think it's stupid there's no hint or indication which chest they are in.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
At end game, you can buy an item (I think it was called metamorphosis) using riftcrystals as currency iirc to get to use the character creation tool anytime with your main character and pawn.
This, but if you're OK with just slight changes for now, once you reach the main city hub (Gran Soren, you get there early on), you can at least change a few things like hairstyle, facial hair, hair and eye colour and a few other things for some gold at the barber shop.

xuchu

Where do I find Fournival?
I'm post game and saved him from the trial plus i saw him once near the alehouse.

Yeah, this was the source of a lot of frustration when trying to buy things from fournival. He is on a set routine where he will go from his home to the counterfeiter at the alehouse from 10:30-16:00. You can only really buy at these times as
the guards are hostile near his home

Top Bottom