• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen trailers

This is what I was waiting for!

Was quite excited for the game initially mainly because it included some Berserk gear and I really liked what they were aiming for with the exploration day/night cycle.

Now I can get all that at a budget price! Capcom finally doing something awesome.

Although it would be pretty shitty if they don't release the Dark Arisen content as a separate downloadable for those who already have the game.

Sqorgar

Banned
Yep, Capcom released a game which I greatly enjoyed, but they still managed to find a way to greatly disappoint.
There may be technical reasons why they can not release just the new content as DLC. It's possible, even likely, that Capcom's decision here was not made simply to cheat you out of a few bucks.

Kenai

Based on their fast travel change, I get the feeling the next Dragon's Dogma 2 will be even more like Elder Scrolls.

Yea, which is a shame since the game being designed around not having fast travel was one of the things that made it unique compared to Elder Scrolls. I like both styles, but finding DD's implementation is pretty rare.

Of course, it would have been even better with more enemy varieties, or at least having different sets of non-palette swapped enemies in different regions, but that would have been something to do in the next full fledged sequel.

There may be technical reasons why they can not release just the new content as DLC. It's possible, even likely, that Capcom's decision here was not made simply to cheat you out of a few bucks.

Like how it was technical reasons (think they called it "data issues") they cited with SSIV and MVC3? Surely they would have learnt by now?

Raptomex

doubt it, but there was nothing of note. gear and generic killquests. you can manage without that crap, i'm sure. what else, hairstyles? i didn't buy any of that.
So then it's not a complete edition? Wtf. Idk what to believe now. And there was quests. That whole ten week dlc thing they had going on at release.
are there some perfomance fixes?
that cinematic feel is just too much for me : (
Cinematic feel?

Raptomex

It was just generic garbage that you wouldn't even want for free. You can safely pretend none of it exists. Seriously, it's all worthless.
Ok. Well now that I know this is a complete edition (I guess) my only question, as somebody asked above, are there any known performance fixes? Forgive me, I haven't followed the game since after I beat it. But it was my favorite RPG this gen.
Oh. Didn't know that.

Ok. Well now that I know this is a complete edition (I guess) my only question, as somebody asked above, are there any known performance fixes? Forgive me, I haven't followed the game since after I beat it. But it was my favorite RPG this gen.

No fixes yet, no, and it's doubtful there will be any with this release. I personally had no issues with the unstable framerate in the PS3 version, but the 360 version's screen tearing was awful.

Raptomex

No fixes yet, no, and it's doubtful there will be any with this release. I personally had no issues with the unstable framerate in the PS3 version, but the 360 version's screen tearing was awful.
I have it for 360. Nothing really bothered me that much. But oh well. Was hoping for a Wii U release but I guess that's out the window. I'll get this for 360 again I guess. Start a whole new game.

KePoW

Banned
Yeah, does anyone know if they are improving the Original game in any way, as far as some of the common complaints?

I really want this, but I'm not sure I can justify buying this and the needed live subscription when I already own the original. Sigh..I'll probably end up getting it and given away my old copy.

bj00rn_

Banned
The atrocious pop-in in the 360 demo, is it still present in the final release/expansion..? I'm asking because I've been interested in the game for some time..

Vamphuntr

40$ is a bit steep since I have the original game but I enjoyed it a lot so I'll be there. The bonuses you get from having the original appear to be lame though

(From the OP)

Furthermore, owners of the original Dragon’s Dogma will receive the following for free on purchasing Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen: 100,000 Rift Crystals, unlimited Ferrystones and the Gransys Armour Pack consisting of six brand new costumes.

Unlimited Port Crystals would have been better than unlimited Ferrystones >.> I never bought a pawn with RC. What else can you do with it in this version?

Are they going to use a simple save file check or go further by checking if you redeemed your RE6 voucher that came with the game?

Teknoman

Rift Crystals better be worth something this time around. And Dark Arisen better still have this at the title:

Into Free

No substitutes. Seriously though, every time I hear Dragon's Dogma, that pops into my head.

Mxrz

Sold. This would explain why Dragon's Dogma didn't collapse in price.

Been wondering about that It was $29 for like a day here once. Then right back to $59-$49.

Capcom makes it really hard to buy their games on day one without some reservations. Treating it as an expansion pack that just happens to give new players the original game is all well and good, but then its a $40 expansion pack. Hopefully its all the PR claims at that price.

Zaventem

$40 for an expansion is rare these days.I hope the price and content is actually worth it for those that bought the game before hand.Me? i'm going in fresh and get the better boxart.I'm glad i awaited.

oh fuck edit capcom wants people who bought the original to rebuy the whole game? lmao

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is just such good news. I kept the faith a disc would come, held off on buying the original. I will definitely buy this.

Are we sure it's going to be $40? Not selling the expansion separately could mean they are modifying the game's engine, hopefully improving performance.

vg260

The original held it's trade-in value on Amazon for a crazy long time. I traded the 360 version in for $29 in November! So this is like a $10 upgrade. Nice.

I much prefer digital though, so it sucks Microsoft still has the dumb 3-month wait for digital releases while PS3 has day-1. What the heck is keeping them from day-1 releases now? I wanna use my discounted stockpile of MS points. Grr. Well, maybe I just answered my own question.

Sqorgar

Banned
Like how it was technical reasons (think they called it "data issues") they cited with SSIV and MVC3? Surely they would have learnt by now?

According to Christian Svensson, via Siliconera:
I get it guys. We went round and round with the team on this topic as it would have been a preferred option from our standpoint too. As it turns out, I’m sorry but unfortunately there were major technical limitations that would couldn’t [sic] allow for a digital upgrade path. The original game was just not designed to be expanded (no hooks in the original code) and so a full-game delivery mechanism was the only option.

We also tried to explore a number of mechanisms to try and otherwise put this full product in original owners hands at a discount digitally but we would have run afowl of a few first party policies (not any first party’s fault, t’was our fault).

So instead, we’re packing more than $20 worth of value in digital rewards for existing users: 100K rift crystals (which in DDDA have a LOT more uses than they did in DD vanilla) the Gransys armor pack and the unlimited Ferrystone. We hope this will be a sufficent “thank you” for being part of the first wave of Dragon’s Dogma fans given the development limitations we had.

Roche

I never picked this game up despite being really impressed by the demo I guess I was waiting for a price drop and forgot all about it.

With that in mind if I were to pick up this new expansion, do I get the original game also?

sensui-tomo

I never picked this game up despite being really impressed by the demo I guess I was waiting for a price drop and forgot all about it.

With that in mind if I were to pick up this new expansion. do I get the original game also?

yes it comes with the original game with all the new improvements, so yeah just wait it out.

BraXzy

I really wish this was coinciding with a PC release.

I was really hoping for a PC release too :/ I don't like playing RPG's on consoles when it would so much better and run smoother on my PC, looks really good too, might have to buy anyway!

Top Bottom