• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen trailers

GorillaJu

Can't wait. Got my character up to around level 140 before I called it quits. Gonna have to dust off the old pawn and get goin again. Lovely game.

DocSeuss

In Capcom money, maybe that's worth $20.

But where I come from, $20 worth of "extra content" should involve ~20-30 hours of play, like Borderlands or Fallout DLC.

A suit of armor, an unbalanced version of fast travel, and some useless rift points? Wow. I'm sooo impressed.

Even Bioware preorder DLC tends to have more value.

Hell, if the expansion was a DLC, it should have been priced at $15, maaaybe $20. THE ENTIRE THING.

rockx4

In Capcom money, maybe that's worth $20.

But where I come from, $20 worth of "extra content" should involve ~20-30 hours of play, like Borderlands or Fallout DLC.

A suit of armor, an unbalanced version of fast travel, and some useless rift points? Wow. I'm sooo impressed.

Even Bioware preorder DLC tends to have more value.

Hell, if the expansion was a DLC, it should have been priced at $15, maaaybe $20. THE ENTIRE THING.

Ferrystones were so easy to get during postgame, you get so much money from wakestones and shit. And seriously 100k RC? Pretty pathetic when we were spending 3million on the premium earring.

Ferrystones were so easy to get during postgame, you get so much money from wakestones and shit. And seriously 100k RC? Pretty pathetic when we were spending 3million on the premium earring.

I hate how the game will now have unlimited teleporation to anywhere.
The game made you earn that & felt like a reward to explore one end & to place a Ferrystone there, but now they caved in to the shit mainstream gaming reviewers.

Definitely buying the Disc + expansion when it's out. I'll gift my Vanilla copy to an awesome individual, so they can share in the awesome.

Who knows, maybe eventually they'll make a seperate expansion only download.

Danneee

The only game other than GTA4 and Ni No Kuni I'm there for day 1 this year. Loved the original but got stuck at a difficulty spike at the end game.

The game made you earn that & felt like a reward to explore one end & to place a Ferrystone there, but now they caved in to the shit mainstream gaming reviewers.

agreed. once you get a port crystal, fast travel is sufficient. and you'll get multiple on NG+ anyway.

Effect

Since buying the new version is the only way to get the new content I'm glad I waited. I was going to buy a used version last week for around $30 but waited to long and it was taken by someone else. Glad I got beat out now if the new version is going to be $40.

Tizoc

So wait Dark Arisen was initially gonna be a dlc expansion, but is now getting a disc release+original game for $40?

Pookmunki

Traded DD for £13 and preordered DA for £16. I WIN THIS DAY CAPCPOM.

Edit: I just noticed the endgame is an allegory for Capcom this generation. History repeats itself with slight variance but the memory of what happened before remains from the first time onwards. This DA situation is just DD having gone through Everfall.

Clever Bastards!

Any chance the new version cuts down on the pop-ins? ...I know there isn't. :(

Either way I'm getting this, no doubt. DD is one of my favorite games this generation besides Dark Souls.

Deadstar

Really glad I never bought the original game. I assume the frame rate has been improved in this new version? I've really wanted to play the game but didn't want to mess with the horrible framerates and tearing.

ionca

Banned
"The original game was just not designed to be expanded"
tumblr_inline_mgp4griHMk1r3huc9.gif

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
According to Christian Svensson, via Siliconera:
I get it guys. We went round and round with the team on this topic as it would have been a preferred option from our standpoint too. As it turns out, I’m sorry but unfortunately there were major technical limitations that would couldn’t [sic] allow for a digital upgrade path. The original game was just not designed to be expanded (no hooks in the original code) and so a full-game delivery mechanism was the only option.

We also tried to explore a number of mechanisms to try and otherwise put this full product in original owners hands at a discount digitally but we would have run afowl of a few first party policies (not any first party’s fault, t’was our fault).

I really, really loathe this man and his constant bullshit. So you've got an out and out lie on the "no hooks" when the game had DLC anyway, and then you get his usual "problem with first party policies" scapegoat. He has the unenviable job of running PR to these sorts of shit decisions, but making utter wank up isn't required. Just stay quiet. Dont say a fucking word. Chances are any word you say will be a lie!

I fucking loved Dragon's Dogma, but Capcom have found a way to piss me off even about the only game worth a damn theyve put out this last couplea years.

Please leave Capcom for Platinum or Tango Gameworks soon, Itsuno and co. Company is a cancer now.

Eusis

Well, as noted the DLC there may've been on the disc, and it's possible that there weren't the right hooks to add something on the level of Dark Arisen. I do wonder if they really couldn't have released at $30 at retail, or if they just didn't want to. That I'd think would be a solid compromise if this is as meaty as I hope it is, then it's paying for the expansion like we would have in the past while they go "screw it, have the base game too."

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Well, as noted the DLC there may've been on the disc, and it's possible that there weren't the right hooks to add something on the level of Dark Arisen. I do wonder if they really couldn't have released at $30 at retail, or if they just didn't want to. That I'd think would be a solid compromise if this is as meaty as I hope it is, then it's paying for the expansion like we would have in the past while they go "screw it, have the base game too."

If From Software could do it with Dark Souls, I think it would beggar belief if it was "beyond" Capcom's large development team and programmers.

McLovin

That first trailer has a ridiculous amount of spoilers for regular Dragons Dogma.
Either way day one for me. I'm on my 3rd playthrough, and I can see myself playing at least one more time.

If From Software could do it with Dark Souls, I think it would beggar belief if it was "beyond" Capcom's large development team and programmers.

Pretty much. I don't buy it that Capcom spent the entire development time of DD with the idea that NOTHING could be added post release that wasn't already created. This is Capcom, the company that loves to nickel and dime, bleed its customers dry, and take full advantage of them. And this is the third game they've pulled this shit with. They're liars, plain and simple. Any changes they made to DD so that DA would be compatible can surely be made to already released units with a patch. If not, Capcom really needs to take a long hard look at their competence, or lack thereof.

I think the ferrystone (the ones you put on the ground) are still limited so you will have to place them strategically. The only thing that are unlimited are the stones used to port to them an back. . . and they where practically infinite in the game anyway.

Glass Rebel

For what it's worth, Sven wrote in the Capcom-Unity boards that PC gamers have something to look forward to in the coming months and JaseC informed me in the Resident Evil 6 PC thread that Capcom UK mistakenly announced Dragon's Dogma on their twitter back in November but denied it almost immediately. Take it with a huge grain of salt but it's not impossible.

SystemBug

One of the best games of 2012 and one of my favorite RPGs as well. This is such bullshit. I really can't afford to spend $40 for an expansion. I couldn't believe this excuse for SSF4 and I can't believe it now.

The only way I'll dip in is if they release a PC version but Capcom is totally against doing things that make sense so I don't see that happening. Hope I'm proven wrong.

For what it's worth, Sven wrote in the Capcom-Unity boards that PC gamers have something to look forward to in the coming months and JaseC informed me in the Resident Evil 6 PC thread that Capcom UK mistakenly announced Dragon's Dogma on their twitter back in November but denied it almost immediately. Take it with a huge grain of salt but it's not impossible.

I hope this turns out to be true. Would love to play DD with the visuals completely cleaned up. I'm playing Dark Souls on PC now, and I booted the game on PS3 yesterday and the visuals are just hideous. Absolutely, embarrassingly awful.

Dragon's Dogma was by far one of my top games of last year, and I was really looking forward to Dark Arisen.

But 40$? There are so many other games coming out for me in February alone, not to mention all the subsequent months, that I'm not sure I'll even be able to get it. This is really saddening. But if they do a PC version for Steam (that isn't GFWL) at some point this year, I know I'll be checking into that.

Tomodachi

Woah, Capcom really turned in a bunch of liars. The game was not developed with the concept of expansion? Are they kidding? They kept talking about DLCs and expansions since before the release. I'm really bummed about this, Dark Arisen is one of the titles I'm expecting the most from 2013 but I really don't want to give them my money for this kind of behaviour.

Except I will D: This better be good Capcom.

But 40$? There are so many other games coming out for me in February alone, not to mention all the subsequent months, that I'm not sure I'll even be able to get it. This is really saddening. But if they do a PC version for Steam (that isn't GFWL) at some point this year, I know I'll be checking into that.
Pretty sure Capcom finally dropped GFWL since DmC and RE6(I believe) are Steamworks.

sublimit

Banned
I really, really loathe this man and his constant bullshit. So you've got an out and out lie on the "no hooks" when the game had DLC anyway, and then you get his usual "problem with first party policies" scapegoat. He has the unenviable job of running PR to these sorts of shit decisions, but making utter wank up isn't required. Just stay quiet. Dont say a fucking word. Chances are any word you say will be a lie!

I fucking loved Dragon's Dogma, but Capcom have found a way to piss me off even about the only game worth a damn theyve put out this last couplea years.

Please leave Capcom for Platinum or Tango Gameworks soon, Itsuno and co. Company is a cancer now.

I feel exactly the same! This was my favourite game last year and they managed to shit all over it.
If they'll not release it as separate DLC then i'll be getting it used once it hits 10-15 €.

And i'm not going to buy a Capcom game on day one ever again.

Top Bottom