• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

ironcreed

Banned
Can you adjust how often the pawns talk? I remember someone mention that being an option, but I don't remember it being confirmed or not, since it's not in the demo, if you could make your pawns shut up with their tips, it would probably make it a lot better, I too would like to explore myself and try things out for myself, but I don't mind the concept of pawns and how they learn about quest info.

Not sure on that either. I think it is just limited to turning the subtitles off. At least I don't recall turning their voices off being in the options menu anyway.

I think you will not be able to handle enemy groups on your own, but then again it will probably be weak groups as you progress so it would all scale accordingly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's kind of amazing how the character creator is creating non-shiteous people. I don't think I've ever created a non-shiteous character in an RPG.

Just played through the demo having absolutely no knowledge of this game at all. Capcom thinks this crap will sell 10 million copies?!?! It feels like a poor mans Demons' / Dark Souls.

Were they joking when they said it would sell 10 million? Or do they literally need for it to sell 10 million copies to make back their investment in it? From the look of it, I'd think 1 million would be a more realistic goal. Maybe I'm underestimating how well Capcom games sell in Japan.

It's kind of amazing how the character creator is creating non-shiteous people. I don't think I've ever created a non-shiteous character in an RPG.

Yeah it's pretty good, I want to take pictures of my MC and my pawn put I need to go get batteries for my cam.

Finally got around to it. Played a few minutes of the prologue but I just ended it because I needed more space to play around in to learn the controls and I wanted to play my characters. The battle was super cool. Not sure how repeatable it will be as I feel like, while it played really cool and original, I could see it being pretty similar each time. Haven't actually played a demo in a ridiculously long time and this one has me hankering for the full game.

I actually tried to create a creepy little imp guy as my pawn and I liked him so much I'm going to use him in the full game. Super impressed by it.

ironcreed

Banned
Were they joking when they said it would sell 10 million? Or do they literally need for it to sell 10 million copies to make back their investment in it? From the look of it, I'd think 1 million would be a more realistic goal. Maybe I'm underestimating how well Capcom games sell in Japan.

They said that it is just something that they would like to do and think they can sell a lot, but are of course unsure if it would be attainable worldwide. They did say that they think they can very much sell 1 million copies in Japan, though. That, I agree with. It's been the most wanted game in Famitsu for some time now.

Anyway, here is what was said:

"I don't know if other Japanese developers are trying to become more global, but I know we definitely are. It's difficult, because we really want this game to sell 10 million units worldwide. We want to sell a lot and that's just something that we think we can do. We're not positive [ it will be a success]. Of course it's a risk, but that's what we want, a challenge."

"In Japan, we can absolutely sell a million units. We know that's attainable, it's absolutely doable. We have a kind of assurance that that will happen, but for worldwide that's not so much the case, and I think that's why a lot of Japanese developers are hesitant about going global. It's because they don't have that assurance that it'll be successful."

http://www.play.tm/news/34927/capcom-aiming-to-sell-10-million-copies-of-dragon-s-dogma/

ironcreed

Banned
I wish them luck with that. I'll contribute 1 to their US numbers despite hating them as a company.

I hear you. No way in hell will it sell that many copies, but I am really pulling for the game to do well. As it is doing some things we have never seen in a game like this before and I feel it deserves the attention. That said, I am expecting it to be a small hit at best or an under the radar gem at the worst.

Derrick01

Banned
They'd be lucky to get another million total worldwide. They picked the absolute worst date possible. I'm getting it over max payne and diablo because I have no interest in either but I recognize I'm likely in the extreme minority. No one outside of the internet probably knows what this game is.

ironcreed

Banned
They'd be lucky to get another million total worldwide. They picked the absolute worst date possible. I'm getting it over max payne and diablo because I have no interest in either but I recognize I'm likely in the extreme minority. No one outside of the internet probably knows what this game is.

Yeah, I think they know it will be a hit in Japan. It's the rest of the world where it is going to fly right under the radar. I guess the best that can happen is that word of mouth will carry it over the months and it sees some steady sales as a result. A few glowing reviews would not hurt either.

Patryn

Yeah, going against Diablo is totally idiotic.

Once Blizzard announced D3's release date, they should have either moved the date up a couple weeks, or, and I can't believe I'm saying this, they should have pushed it to early July.

cyborg009

Banned
Yeah, going against Diablo is totally idiotic.

Once Blizzard announced D3's release date, they should have either moved the date up a couple weeks, or, and I can't believe I'm saying this, they should have pushed it to early July.

they push back their release date the first time causes of mass effect 3

I tried this out and it was surprisingly brief. I spent more time tinkering with the character creator than actually playing.

The first encounter wasn't very interesting but the second with the Griffon was super impressive. I was looking forward to playing an Archer and I'm really liking how it turned out. After the Souls games having an unlimited supply of arrows is quite liberating.

Quick question, how do I get thrown in the air by my pawns? They offer but once I run over to them nothing happens.

Anteater

Quick question, how do I get thrown in the air by my pawns? They offer but once I run over to them nothing happens.

You just need to approach him/her I think, you don't need to press buttons, the pawn will just launch you up.

I'm trying to temper my hype so that I don't suffer another disappointment of Amalurian proportions.

My hype is lowered a bit, still really want to read some reviews, I'm kind of back to cautiously optimistic, still not sure whether they could pull this off, I enjoy its combat but the preview version of the game and the demo is like 2 completely different things, but I think for people who really enjoy the demo, they might be in for a surprise with the full game.

ironcreed

Banned
It is obvious to me that they are more than confident in what they have. Live and unfiltered streams for hours proves that and nearly every recent preview seems to indicate that there is indeed something special about this game. I am sure it will have some rough edges here and there, but will make up for it with so much attention to detail in the little things. Not to mention the areas where it truly stands out.

- The night time survival-horror-like element within a day/night cycle
- Unscripted climbing around on giant creatures. Even ones that take flight
- The Pawn system and how addictive it will be to check out and rate characters created by others.

All of this in an open world game. It's an ambitious title with some big talent and a big budget behind it. I, for one, am actually glad to see that they have the balls to release the game around some other heavy hitters. Whether it pays off for them or not remains to be seen, but I am happy to see that they are not going to delay it in fear yet again. When you have a project like this, you have to stand behind it and hope for the best.

I don't see the "newness" of the pawn system. Didn't DQ9 have that? I also don't get the Dark Souls comparisons. I wish it were like a party-based Dark Souls. That sounds like it would be cool. I'm open to whatever this is, though. I'm a sucker for these kinds of games.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't see the "newness" of the pawn system. Didn't DQ9 have that? I also don't get the Dark Souls comparisons. I wish it were like a party-based Dark Souls. That sounds like it would be cool. I'm open to whatever this is, though. I'm a sucker for these kinds of games.

You create your own Pawn and it gains experience that helps you on your quest from being rented out by other players. It is incredibly in depth with the details as well. If you have not seen it, check out OXM's Pawn Guide. It explains it rather well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsVmmXQqWA

As for other elements that make this game different, how about the survival horror element at night and how it is best to plan your quests around what time of day it is? Or being able to climb around on huge creatures? To my knowledge, there has never been another open world action RPG that does this kind of stuff.

I did not like the demo at all. I posted this in the other DD thread by mistake.

After i killed the lion in the first demo it ended. Same happened with the Griffin. It was really short. I thought the combat was a little clunky, and the camera was really bad at times.

Oni Jazar

Where are people seeing these massive framerate drops on the PS3 version? I've played the griffon section like 5 times now on both 360 & PS3 and the big difference I notice is that 360 is a little blurrier. The framerate is fairly solid on both. Nothing like Demons Souls can get (especially when you break barrels in DS).

Anteater

Where are people seeing these massive framerate drops on the PS3 version? I've played the griffon section like 5 times now on both 360 & PS3 and the big difference I notice is that 360 is a little blurrier. The framerate is fairly solid on both. Nothing like Demons Souls can get (especially when you break barrels in DS).

It's not really massive, there's no massive drop actually but it's just not running at a smooth 30fps most of the time unless it's the first part of the demo before turning your lantern on.

cyborg009

Banned

It does drop and sometimes when you break boxes but it isn't game breaking

Yep. I showed people it last night and they seemed interested in it but an hour later they had forgotten the name of it and collectively masturbating over Diablo III.

: /

Anteater

There better be some abilities or passive skills that makes Fighter a good damage dealer in the full game, shield skills and stinger don't really do much damage especially since they have stamina cost, they don't really do much damage on the Chimera's last bar of health

jett

D-Member
Looking at a video the framerate on the 360 is a heck of a lot better. I find the PS3 demo to be pretty unacceptable in this regard, especially with the game not even running at full screen.

We're not seeing drops. We're just seeing a consistently bad framerate on PS3. It's nice and smooth on my 360, so my pre-order moved to that version.

Anteater

hmm, so I think enemies might take more damage if they're not in attack mode, the goblins seems to die in 3 hits if you sneak up on them :eek:

Can't tell for sure though :p

Edit: yep goblins gets 2 shotted when I walk up to them at the beginning by hugging the wall. takes more hits once they're aware

Midou

I'm really hoping for a PC version.

360 version felt close to but not quite 30fps

I think considering that the DMC4 port to PC on the same engine turned out pretty well, I have high hopes for this as well, to make it to, and run well, on PC.

Patryn

Looking at a video the framerate on the 360 is a heck of a lot better. I find the PS3 demo to be pretty unacceptable in this regard, especially with the game not even running at full screen.

Just warning you to look at some of the videos of the 360 version, because it can suffer from some pretty bad tearing (even my girlfriend was like UGH when she saw it). This is especially bad if you have your 360 set to 1080p.

Anteater

lol, if you pick up a snow harpy and drop it on a camp fire, you could set it on fire
KuGsj.gif

Edit: fuck I set myself on fire too.

and after trying for a while, I'm sure you can't parry mid-air, would've been more convenient if you could.

Just warning you to look at some of the videos of the 360 version, because it can suffer from some pretty bad tearing (even my girlfriend was like UGH when she saw it). This is especially bad if you have your 360 set to 1080p.

Give me occasional tearing over a constantly terrible framerate. If the 360 version's framerate were as bad as the PS3's, I would have simply cancelled my pre-order and moved on to something else. I've watched about 4 hours of HD 360 footage on youtube and the tearing was minimal at worst, but the framerate was rock solid. Most of the footage appears to be from the 360. Hopefully there will be more PS3 footage so PS3-only owners can determine if the framerate was addressed in later builds.

You create your own Pawn and it gains experience that helps you on your quest from being rented out by other players.

Can you re-customize a pawn with lots of experience to your own liking?

I don't think you should be allowed to. Gives it that permanence and not just a throw-away thing to be shared around like the Village bicycle.

Derrick01

Banned
The ps3 framerate is more than acceptable for a game like this. It was over 20 but more importantly it didn't dive.

It comes down to picking your poison and knowing what you can deal with more. I only have a ps3 so I'm stuck with that obviously but given a choice I would avoid the one that tears constantly. I'll be double dipping on PC anyway.

ironcreed

Banned
Can you re-customize a pawn with lots of experience to your own liking?

I don't think you should be allowed to. Gives it that permanence and not just a throw-away thing to be shared around like the Village bicycle.

You can change vocations for your pawn, but you don't have to.

Anteater

The ps3 framerate is more than acceptable for a game like this. It was over 20 but more importantly it didn't dive.

It comes down to picking your poison and knowing what you can deal with more. I only have a ps3 so I'm stuck with that obviously but given a choice I would avoid the one that tears constantly. I'll be double dipping on PC anyway.

Yeah, it annoys me a little that it isn't running at a smooth 30fps but I guess I won't mind if it's not dropping to a framerate that makes the game unplayable, but this is from me who played through mass effect 1 on 360, bayonetta on ps3, and skyrim on ps3 that ran at like sub 10fps at some point (was too lazy to reboot that shit) :p

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
If the game had a default block, dodge and lock-on button for every class, the gameplay would be like nirvana and best in class but because its awkward targeting enemies the combat suffers somewhat but otherwise I love it

ironcreed

Banned
Most of the footage appears to be from the 360. Hopefully there will be more PS3 footage so PS3-only owners can determine if the framerate was addressed in later builds.

What do you mean? They have been more than generous in showing off the PS3 version with hours of live streams, and it runs fine. They have actually been showing the PS3 version the most lately. No, it is not locked at 30 FPS, but it is hardly some unplayable mess like many are claiming.

Maybe it was not fine for you, but it is more than acceptable for many of us. We are hardly talking Blight Town here. There is even someone currently playing through the PS3 version right now for review that has chimed in within this very thread and said that he has noticed no issues at all, other than some very slight slowdown when entering a new area. But nothing noticeable enough to hurt the game. He goes by the name, Shidoshi.

Plenty of PS3 footage, and it is more than playable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOgchg-az9k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YimwPf0Fr3A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuoedTPK9P4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8IV-fbwpD8

charsace

The controls were a bit unresponsive. The special moves were even more unresponsive.

I didn't have this feeling at all. The special moves have a wind up so that you can't just spam them. The wind up and speed of attacks is effected by the weapon type and button pressed. Not sure if the size and build of the character figures into it (though it does effect things like sprinting, lifting enemies, enemies shaking you off).

People should really play around with the hand to hand with the ranger. Its much easier to figure out with the ranger. The combos kind of feel like Bayonetta.

Top Bottom