• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Played the demo and I want to say it seemed like it has potential. Don't know whether its a day 1 purchase especially after I've experienced The Witcher 2.

Ghost Recon FS will probably be the only game I pick up in May. Will more than likely wait and pick up Dragons Dogma when it hits the bargain bin.

Finally got some batteries.

1001745f.jpg

My MC.

1001746f.jpg

And my main pawn.

Boss Man

Finally got around to playing the demo and I like it quite a bit. I agree that it's a terrible demo, though. You don't sell an RPG like that.

I have a feeling that playing around with the classes (I WANT TO BE A WIZARD!) and roaming around the game with an actual respect for combat (which is what they showed us) is going to be very enjoyable. I'll be there as soon as I can afford it- it reminded me too much of Demon's Souls not to put at least 10 hours into it to see if it turns into one of the best games this gen.

SkylineRKR

I'd like to know as well. I've only killed 2 of the collasus or w/e so far.

There is something wrong with the climbing physics. And I think its not a lie. One of the earlier bosses took me over an hour to beat because I could not climb or simply got no time window to do so. And I'm not inexperienced with this game on Ps2.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finally got around to playing the demo.
I'm thrilled to have gotten something a month out before release, but you'd think they could have whipped up a demo that took more than 10 minutes to clear.

What I played was tasty enough, but damn me if I'm not aching for more. It's going to be a long wait, I'm afraid.

Lucent

There is something wrong with the climbing physics. And I think its not a lie. One of the earlier bosses took me over an hour to beat because I could not climb or simply got no time window to do so. And I'm not inexperienced with this game on Ps2.

Weird. Maybe it's a condition or something. Because I've fought the first boss several times (I just wanted to see how it played and didn't wanna take on multiple games) and I managed to topple it in less than 10 minutes once. I just gotta watch my stamina and find places on the body to recover before climbing more and/or stabbing more.

But I don't doubt it could be there.

Broken how?

I'd like to know as well. I've only killed 2 of the collasus or w/e so far.

Yeah, there is definitely something screwy with the HD version. You flop around at the slightest movement of the colossi, making it nearly impossible to charge your stab.

On the PS2, I've beaten every colossi on every difficulty, all the time trials, and have white Agro. On the PS3, I only beat the game once and haven't touched it since. Some of them (3 and 15, in particular) took me an hour to beat because you have no opening to stab.

Lucent

Yeah, there is definitely something screwy with the HD version. You flop around at the slightest movement of the colossi, making it nearly impossible to charge your stab.

On the PS2, I've beaten every colossi on every difficulty, all the time trials, and have white Agro. On the PS3, I only beat the game once and haven't touched it since. Some of them (3 and 15, in particular) took me an hour to beat because you have no opening to stab.

challengeaccepted.jpg

But no seriously, I fear those battles now. I hope I'm lucky and it doesn't take me that long. >_<

Effect

unplayable? lols, I fear something might be wrong with your PS3. Low? Yes. Stable? Oh yeah. Fine with me.

Stable and low is unbuyable(thus unplayable) to me...because I won't buy games that I know have bad framerates. Fortunately for Capcom, they made a version of the game with a really good framerate.

Yeah, so what's the best pre-order bonus currently? Amazon is where I usually buy stuff. They've got some starter weapons and a demo for RE. Price was 57.99 but is now 59.99.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah, so what's the best pre-order bonus currently? Amazon is where I usually buy stuff. They've got some starter weapons and a demo for RE. Price was 57.99 but is now 59.99.

I have gamestop credit so that's where I'm getting it. This is all that was listed:

Pawn Upgrade Pack!
Preorder Dragon's Dogma and get the Pawn Upgrade Pack!

Pawn Upgrade Pack - Begin your Dragon's Dogma adventure with an additional 2,000 Rift Crystals! This early cash advance' will allow you to enlist higher level PAWNs early on in addition to having an expanded set of items available for purchase at Aestella's shop in Cassardis!

Needless to say I won't be using those crystals. We already have the demo as an example of how quick things die with overleveled pawns and I don't want to hurt the challenge at all. Curious to know what the extra items are though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As much as I'd kind of enjoy the game being fairly easy, I think the demo is obscenely overpowered pawns if it's the e3 ones(you know, with press being bad at gaems). Even that upgrade pack, I can't imagine it being too much.

I'll go ahead and say that I've never played an easy Capcom game before.

NeoUltima

Has there been any info about different environments/weather? Seems like everything shown has been typical forests and plains and rocky regions.
I'd like to see a snowy environments and rain effects.

PowderedToast

this game/demo sucks. wtf am i playing.

dragon's dogma, or, how capcom chased the western carrot

lost planet 2 had similar aspirations but that game had foreign stamped all over it. this is genuinely unrecognisable. it's dull as fuck.

VashTS

Has there been any info about different environments/weather? Seems like everything shown has been typical forests and plains and rocky regions.

I don't recall seeing any footage that has included weather effects so far. I really hope that they are included though considering Lost Planet 2 had them. We already know that MT Framework is capable of such feats.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Per the SotC talk here: I just downloaded the hd version for my ps3 maybe 3 weeks ago. Charged through the first 6 or 7 without really noticing an intense tune up of the difficulty. Truth be told it took me maybe 20-30 minutes to get my head back around the controls and trusting my horse and how to run around on top of the Colossi to charge my strength before jumping and and holding grab+attack to do that jumping stab thing.

I don't know about broken tho...

Per Dragon's Dogma: After going through the demo levels 30+ times now I have so many little stand out moments I can't even wait for the full game. Fighting the Manticore with all the UI elements turned off - Alone - for the first time ... the griffon taking me into the air with my lantern off and my weapons hot for the first time (flaming bird ensued) and on the opposite end of that I watched my fellow ranger/strider pawn ride the Griffon away from my group after we delivered a deathly series of blows while it was on the ground. Escaped with a sliver of life... he kills it mid-air - rides it down and jumps off fairly close to our waiting group.
"Well done!!"

no shit. This game is tits.

branny

Stable and low is unbuyable(thus unplayable) to me...because I won't buy games that I know have bad framerates. Fortunately for Capcom, they made a version of the game with a really good framerate.
I can't handle all the tearing in the 360 demo, though. I have no clue if it's better to simply be missing frames or to have ugly, distracting ones. This entire thing is ridiculous. We shouldn't have to choose between two horrible options. The only reason I'm getting the PS3 version is because I prefer using L1/R1 to bumpers with the default control scheme. The two demos are otherwise nearly identical visually beyond their performance, and the PS3 demo somehow feels just as responsive despite its lower framerate. There are just odd stutters here and there, and frames do actually drop during the dragon breath segment. Ugh.

I'd love to see this, too. I can't tell if it's raining at the end of this video, but with lightning flashing there could still be hope (unless it's scripted or something). A load screen in the demo also says that smaller characters have less resistance against wind, so there's at least that to look forward to, I guess. edit: Nevermind, it doesn't look like rain or snow will be in.

You're playing a hybrid between Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, Monster Hunter, and Shadow of the Colossus. Either you like it or you don't, but saying you hate it because it's dull and unrecognizable is weird.

Anteater

lost planet 2 had similar aspirations but that game had foreign stamped all over it. this is genuinely unrecognisable. it's dull as fuck.

I still don't understand the problem people found with the game outside of technical (framerate) issues and difficulty balance :p, everything else play and control fine and has one of the the most robust combat system in an arpg, last time I played Skyrim the controls were pretty terrible and clunky with noticeable input delay playing a dual wield class on the ps3, while this game has a lot going for it with flexibility and depth on how a boss fight could go.

and I don't know why people keeps saying "western", were anybody complaining Capcom made a bunch of D&D games in the 90s and games in english?

ReaperXL7

I still don't understand the problem people found with the game outside of technical (framerate) issues and difficulty balance :p, everything else play and control fine and has one of the the most robust combat system in an arpg, last time I played Skyrim the controls were pretty terrible and clunky with noticeable input delay playing a dual wield class on the ps3, while this game has a lot going for it with flexibility and depth on how a boss fight could go.

and I don't know why people keeps saying "western", were anybody complaining Capcom made a bunch of D&D games in the 90s and games in english?

Honestly I think the "Problem" is just the demo, they did a terrible job with this thing in context with what the game actually is. Alot of people are proving this, I have three friends who were convinved they would not buy it because they did not want a linear level based action game. Lots of people in this thread alone have gotten that impression from the demo.

This demo does so little to tell people what this game is really about that it's pretty shameful, I was only able to get two of the three to change their mind when showing them the streams of the game. They just did this the wrong way, if they want to demo a game like this, you need to do it like Amalur did. Let people mess with the character creator, and then give them a solid hour or so of playtime. Let them explore, let them experiement with their characters class, skills, etc.

Some people just won't like it, because no game is for everyone, but I strongly think this demo is giving people a terrible impression of what this game is, or what it could offer.

tranciful

Wasn't hard enough. I was hoping it'd be like dark souls or monster hunter. Neat mechanics, but my interest has dropped greatly knowing its not coop and that it doesn't seem to offer any challenge

I'll maybe get it when it's cheap

Anteater

Honestly I think the "Problem" is just the demo, they did a terrible job with this thing in context with what the game actually is. Alot of people are proving this, I have three friends who were convinved they would not buy it because they did not want a linear level based action game. Lots of people in this thread alone have gotten that impression from the demo.

This demo does so little to tell people what this game is really about that it's pretty shameful, I was only able to get two of the three to change their mind when showing them the streams of the game. They just did this the wrong way, if they want to demo a game like this, you need to do it like Amalur did. Let people mess with the character creator, and then give them a solid hour or so of playtime. Let them explore, let them experiement with their characters class, skills, etc.

Some people just won't like it, because no game is for everyone, but I strongly think this demo is giving people a terrible impression of what this game is, or what it could offer.

Yeah I thought it's a terrible demonstration too, maybe it's a different perception because I know it's going to be an action rpg, so I was willing to overlook some of the flaws like I usually do with them (amalur, skyrim, etc) and expect more contents in the retail game.

I don't really care if people likes it or not, I just really genuinely like to read people's opinion on what makes the gameplay absolutely crap/awesome instead of "Capcom making a western wannabe game, so stupid" and weird Souls comparisons :p.

branny

I can't believe I haven't seen this video yet. C'mon, May 22! :(

Wasn't hard enough. I was hoping it'd be like dark souls or monster hunter. Neat mechanics, but my interest has dropped greatly knowing its not coop and that it doesn't seem to offer any challenge

I'll maybe get it when it's cheap
You're overpowered in the demo. Kill your pawns in the first quest and solo the Chimera without using herbs if you want to enjoy a stiffer challenge. You won't be obligated to use a full party in the actual game, but you'll also have more trouble because the things can be quite relentless. With every injury, your maximum HP goes down until you can rest (think of getting cursed repeatedly in Dark Souls), and many quests seem like they'll be tests of endurance that require you to travel carefully over long distances. Many areas are unsafe and will overwhelm you, and, at night, the game practically becomes survival horror. Hopefully the new game plus adds more difficulty if things do end up too easy.

There's something that's been bugging me since I first played but didn't remember until just now:

When you create your character -- as in, the character that only you will see -- why do you have to pick a "moniker?" Something that only others will see, when no other person will ever see your character?

Unless...
Laziness. :p

Akai

There's something that's been bugging me since I first played but didn't remember until just now:

When you create your character -- as in, the character that only you will see -- why do you have to pick a "moniker?" Something that only others will see, when no other person will ever see your character?

It tells you. It's what people that have parental controls on see instead of your name. You know, just in case someone is using an offensive name (which is bound to happen)...

Unless...
Laziness. :p

I would assume the game somehow identifies your pawns to others using your name/moniker.

It tells you. It's what people that have parental controls on see instead of your name. You know, just in case someone is using an offensive name (which is bound to happen)...

His question though is why would you need it on your main character that isn't a pawn and would never enter another player's game.

Anteater

I can't believe I haven't seen this video yet. C'mon, May 22! :(

You're overpowered in the demo. Kill your pawns in the first quest and solo the Chimera without using herbs if you want to enjoy a stiffer challenge. You won't be obligated to use a full party in the actual game, but you'll also have more trouble because the things can be quite relentless. With every injury, your maximum HP goes down until you can rest (think of getting cursed repeatedly in Dark Souls), and many quests seem like they'll be tests of endurance that require you to travel carefully over long distances. Many areas are unsafe and will overwhelm you, and, at night, the game practically becomes survival horror. Hopefully the new game plus adds more difficulty if things do end up too easy.

Yeah there are a lot of videos under their channel, there are some really decent combat ones too that shows off basic combos and such.

I wonder how inventory is going to play out in the full game. In the demo you could pretty much spam health items, with the traveling and going through dungeons, I wonder if it's going to be better and more strict with them in the final game...

For names I wonder how many characters will there be with the same names :p There will probably be like 500 sephiroth and 800 Gutts on the list to go through.

Anteater

I really liked this, however short it was. DAT MT Framework looks amazing.
This is the DMC team doing this right?

Yeah, same director and producer with a bigger team.

Just noticed a new gameinformer is coming out soon, could we expect review for DD and Max Payne 3, etc?

Riposte

This is pretty silly. What western game controlled like this and was open-world while being so action based? (the closest you could say is Kingdoms of Amalur ignoring the climbing stuff, but the DMC-inspired controls were tacked on and underutilized, that game is quite ass)

Lost Planet 2 played nothing like other TPS, where the Gears of War style is everywhere.

Anteater

That's soooo good to hear. But I think ill take at least one healer pawn. You know, just in case ;)

I still can't make up my mind what to make my main pawn, mage seems to be the most useful one and I want to make sure I have healing spells for health and status ailments since I don't want to carry 200 herbs with me, and they could buff you.

Judging from the demo strider pawn seems pretty useless and not that good of a damage dealer unless they're buffed, maybe a sniper is much better.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Man, I really liked what I played. The combat is really robust and chunky to the point where it's almost intimidating how much they let you do with the amount of buttons we've got.

The music was awesome. I had to crank the volume on my tv way up just to listen to that pimp character edit theme.

Picking this one up for sure.

Top Bottom