• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

ironcreed

Banned
The difference is, we are talking about something that makes sense to be included, not some arbitrary element shoehorned in.

I get that you like the game, I do too. But your logic does not resemble my earth logic. What would your stance be if, say, he docked points because the game had no new game plus?

How does it make sense, when the vision from the get-go was for it to be single player? There are plenty of party-based role playing games that do not have co-op and this one is no different in that regard. Just because a reviewer might think it would make more sense to have it does not mean that he should take points off for it being something other than what he wanted personally. As he is paid to review for the masses and should be as objective as possible.

In essence, the target audience for this game is people who love single player action role playing games, and if they read reviews that have points knocked off just because the reviewer wanted multiplayer, they are going to read it as being completely opinionated and worthless. Not every game has to have multiplayer and they should not be knocked for not having it. Especially when it was never the focus to begin with.

As far as new game plus goes, this game has it. But for the sake of discussion, let's say that it was not included. Things like that can of course be put into the written review as something that the reviewer felt could have added to the game's longevity even more, and he would be right. But if the overall game itself still offered plenty of content and was quality for what it was, then it should not reflect negatively on the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't think the first pawn is optional. You can murder him/her and avoid the stones to get more pawns, but it's not like it is in Skyrim and co. where it is completely avoidable. I also don't foresee that being a good choice in the full game.

Riposte

My pawn is optional in DD? That would be great, since I don't want to rely on shitty AI party members. And re: your opinion of my insinuation, that's fine. No skin off my back.

Not really trying to insinuate anything. I'm flat-out stating that having a friend play in place of the AI pawn I have created would be far preferable. I might not dock points in a review for it, were I the one reviewing, but the game would certainly score higher if I could replace the AI with a friend.

If you are basing your judgment on the pawn system, I'd assume you have a fuller understanding of it. Even in the demos playing solo was a simple as killing your pawns and choosing not to summon them again.

The way you word your paragraph makes it seem you would dock points unless you think the game is otherwise deserving of a lower score.

I don't think the first pawn is optional. You can murder him/her and avoid the stones to get more pawns, but it's not like it is in Skyrim and co. where it is completely avoidable. I also don't foresee that being a good choice in the full game.

That sounds rather optional to me, unless you want to make a big deal about how the game (automatically) gives you a pawn for likely tutorial purposes. The same could be said with Skyrim's Lynda or w/e her name was. I can't recall if she automatically "entered your party" so to speak, but it really doesn't matter does it?

EDIT: In any case, I should just say that it doesn't matter. You would still be holding a game to a nonexistent standard and to make the argument that AI Companions (no matter how prevalent) is one to one with multiplayer features in order to make it a matter of standards is pretty absurd.

Mecha

However it sounds good for adding some challenge. I haven't heard anything about difficulty modes so I might do that later on.

Skilletor

If you are basing your judgment on the pawn system, I'd assume you have a fuller understanding of it. Even in the demos playing solo was a simple as killing your pawns and choosing not to summon them again.

The way you word your paragraph makes it seem you would dock points unless you think the game is otherwise deserving of a lower score.

I don't know much about the pawn system aside from the fact that I hate AI companions that I can't control in any game that has them. I will be very frustrated if I'm forced to use more than the base companion.

I am not daming the game (I had a lot of fun with the demo. It reminded me of the old D & D games...sans friends), but I know FOR ME it would be more fun taking down gryphons and hydra with a friend instead of an AI member.

Astery

Just knew that out of the 3 pawns you can have, there will be only one that is made by yourself. The other 2 must be hired that are made by other players/ gene`rated by the game itself. I wish I could make a few more pawns, now I have to search hard for some good looking pawns that goes along of what I plan for my party structure. :\

theCHENRY

I was not enamored by the demo. The UI is such a cluster fuck. I might pick it up later, but not a full price / pre-order game IMO.

charsace

You okay, man? Sounds like you're taking this a little too close to heart.

My pawn is optional in DD? That would be great, since I don't want to rely on shitty AI party members. And re: your opinion of my insinuation, that's fine. No skin off my back.

Not really trying to insinuate anything. I'm flat-out stating that having a friend play in place of the AI pawn I have created would be far preferable. I might not dock points in a review for it, were I the one reviewing, but the game would certainly score higher if I could replace the AI with a friend.

People that played them demo have been complaining that the pawns are too efficient. I don't see them being all that stupid in the final game if people think they're too good in the demo.

Anteater

People that played them demo have been complaining that the pawns are too efficient. I don't see them being all that stupid in the final game if people think they're too good in the demo.

Well the idea is that they're suppose to be "dynamic" and learning stuff so they will probably be stupid early on :p

Skilletor

I've played the demo like 20 times. My first posts in this thread are questioning the difficulty because of pawns. I enjoyed the demo much more when I had less pawns. For the full game, I plan on rolling strider/mage combo as I realize there are probably going to be enemies one type of character can't fight (as effectively).

I plain and simply do not like relying on AI to help me defeat anything. It feels too much like luck that they'll do what I want. If I could take control of the characters at any point I want and make them do a specific thing, then I wouldn't have an issue.

Basically, I'm going to put up with the AI characters because the core game seems really fun to me. I'm not looking forward to that aspect of the game, though, and would do away with it entirely if it was convenient to do so.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I can't wait until everyone who hates the idea of a pawn fires up the game and gets one hour in before hitting a brick fucking wall trying to tackle some of the shit in this game. I've never seen one of the pawns in the demo act foolish or useless and it's pretty clear your entire party in both parts of the demo are tuned way the fuck up so that everyone can get a "badass" moment out of their two little encounters.

Start from level 1. Attempt to take on this world without your loyal servant and get back to us in 3 weeks. I bet you've named him/her after your first born, built a backstory and dreamt of the gear you'll find for them.

I've played the demo like 20 times. My first posts in this thread are questioning the difficulty because of pawns. I enjoyed the demo much more when I had less pawns. For the full game, I plan on rolling strider/mage combo as I realize there are probably going to be enemies one type of character can't fight (as effectively).

I plain and simply do not like relying on AI to help me defeat anything. It feels too much like luck that they'll do what I want. If I could take control of the characters at any point I want and make them do a specific thing, then I wouldn't have an issue.

Basically, I'm going to put up with the AI characters because the core game seems really fun to me. I'm not looking forward to that aspect of the game, though, and would do away with it entirely if it was convenient to do so.

I bet your pawn gets killed because of shit you do much more than the other way around. And it's pretty much been beaten into the ground that this game is hard. So no worries ;)

Im glad capcom had the balls not to make it coop. Brave move.

They'll play it safe and do "Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City 2: Bro shooterz 4 lyfe" if this bombs since that game made them money.

It is leagues beyond crap like skyrim when it comes to combat. This is actually fun.

They're trying to do something interesting with the combat instead of some garbage western gameplay. It's their only hope to stand out so I can see them putting alot of effort into it. I just hope the demo isn't the extent of the gameplay though.

Just preordered this for 360.

The UI is a mess but love the animations and combat. Looking forward to exploring this open world they've got.

Lucent

The UI is a mess but love the animations and combat. Looking forward to exploring this open world they've got.

Turn the stuff you don't want to see off in the Main Menu under Options. This will alleviate the majority (if not all) of your problems with the UI.

Elginer

Whoever makes the OT really needs to point out that you can really clean up the HUD making the game much better.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

At least once on each level before the full game comes out you should play with all the elements off. It's pretty incredible and I've already memorized the controls 3 times over. Tearing chunks out of the lion for what seems like AGES fighting him alone with no life bars of any sort and all your skill on display is a serious fuckin trip. Best experience i've had with a game in a loooooong time.

I'm sure once i'm 60 hours deep and incredibly comfortable in my assassin's skin i'll turn everything off for good (or until I change classes) and truly just get lost in a world for a while.

Lucent

Whoever makes the OT really needs to point out that you can really clean up the HUD making the game much better.

Exactly. Keep seeing new people (to the thread) come in here and say the UI is putting a hamper on their fun. And I can agree with that though. If I couldn't turn off any of the stuff, I would be a little turned off.

Personally, I turn everything off except party health and the mini map. I don't think the button commands are necessary because after using the moves so many times you know what does what depending on the Left or Right shoulder buttons held.

The less on the HUD, the more immersed I am. If it weren't for stamina, I'd probably turn off the health, too. Heh.

wanders

Exactly. Keep seeing new people (to the thread) come in here and say the UI is putting a hamper on their fun. And I can agree with that though. If I couldn't turn off any of the stuff, I would be a little turned off.

Personally, I turn everything off except party health and the mini map. I don't think the button commands are necessary because after using the moves so many times you know what does what depending on the Left or Right shoulder buttons held.

The less on the HUD, the more immersed I am. If it weren't for stamina, I'd probably turn off the health, too. Heh.

I'm inclined to turn off the party bars because it kinda takes the immersion out. When I was playing the Griffin demo at night I had thrown a pawn pretty far while running away from it. From a distance I can see his little body catching up with his lantern casting shadows it looked cool in a hey-there's-my-lost-friend kind of way. But since I had the bars on it sort of took the immersion out.

Also the OT has to have a list of pro-tips. Too many people have been turned off the game/demo because of something that can be easily fixed.

Anteater

I'm surprised how many people don't go to options first or at least thought of turning things off, or increasing sensitivity, adjusting brightness, but then I guess you need to exit the game to access option, which is silly.

Man these 3 weeks is going to be a torture, we've already seen all they could show about the game and just waiting for reviews for how good the entire game is as a whole.

HoodWinked

I'm surprised how many people don't go to options first or at least thought of turning things off, or increasing sensitivity, adjusting brightness, but then I guess you need to exit the game to access option, which is silly.

Man these 3 weeks is going to be a torture, we've already seen all they could show about the game and just waiting for reviews for how good the entire game is as a whole.

you shouldnt be that surprised that people want to jump right in especially in a demo when you're not even invested.

wanders

Yeah its ganna be tough although I think I spoiled myself too much with the game after seeing just about every video released so maybe I'll endure. Im ganna wait until I get some impressions from you guys and maybe some reviews too. I admit I keep getting the urge to replay the Griffin demo and just messing around.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
People really need to check the options, and consider their own options as players when trying out this demo.

It is, after all, a trial version - only intended to give you a rough idea of what the gameplay/setting is like. Of course, there will be a heavy focus on Pawns in the full version, and the UI is designed the way it is for various reasons, but that still shouldn't hamper your experience.

If you're worried about the game being a "clusterfuck" and not really understanding what's going on, just try the prologue mission without hiring the two extra Pawns. On my third run of the demo, I tried this and everything made a lot more sense. I was able to discern the Chimera's attack patterns, recognise the different spells being cast (getting out of the telegraphed AOE, etc.) and could take my time with learning my own abilities and combo potential.

One awesome thing I learned was after grabbing onto the beast, you can position yourself, jump straight up, and come down with a mean-looking heavy attack. I finished off the snake this way, and it looked so great. Right out of a high-fantasy film.

This discussion has been prevalent throughout the thread, but people should really just try experimenting. Turning off things like the cinematic camera and Pawn subtitles helps you focus on what's important, and having fewer party members to worry about helps you concentrate on learning the mechanics better, instead of just adding to the hectic fray.

You'll surely be able to expand on this new knowledge gained from the demo, and may later be able to handle more on-screen information and (more importantly) more Pawns doing their thing.

Anteater

you shouldnt be that surprised that people want to jump right in especially in a demo when you're not even invested.

I'm surprised because there was a thread about this =P where a lot of people are like "Always options first!"

Then there are always people who hates the hell out of subtitles, usually people go in the options to turn off what they don't like first before starting a game.

HoodWinked

I'm surprised because there was a thread about this =P where a lot of people are like "Always options first!"

Then there are always people who hates the hell out of subtitles, usually people go in the options to turn off what they don't like first before starting a game.

go eat some ants.

Anteater

go eat some ants.

8VKRX.jpg

Schwabe

As a PS3-player, i have to go into the options first, every effin time - to invert y-axis. on 360 i can do that @ the dashboard and maybe forget to check ingame. the lazy way isn't always the best ;)

dk_

Those black borders keep me away from the game. There's no way to remove them? Maybe in a future PC Version,

Schwabe

Another review from germany. Magazin is called "play3", it's a PlayStation Only Mag. (website: videogameszone.de), they gave 83%, graphics 7/10, sound 9/10, singleplayer 9/10

as a pro they mentioned a challenging difficulty and the innovative pawn system. as cons they listed the "partly not perfect" controls and some "technical deficiencies".

there is also written about tactical moments. quite long training period, optical the said "mix of skyrim and dark souls"

Anteater

They really dislike the graphics huh, pretty much 7/10 and 6/10 all over about that, I wonder what they give games like Amalur and dragon age 2 for the graphics, good to know even with some flaws they still manage to give the gameplay a pretty high score, and good to hear about the challenge part

Anyway, not sure what's going on in this gif but I think I might roll a magic knight from fighter :p

mku0jn4.gif

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Just had a quick go of the demo, it seemed slightly on the wrong side of chaotic for my liking, perhaps my impressions will improve after some more practice with the controls (I'm not sure if it's the lack of a tutorial, but they seem a little crazy)

what's the deal with being launch skyward? i ran up to the pawn but nothing happened.

Patryn

Barring turning on inverted Y-axis, I will always try a game with default options before going in and messing around with stuff. And, just as with many people, I've decided I'm turning off subtitles and turning off enemy health meters.

Derrick01

Banned
what's the deal with being launch skyward? i ran up to the pawn but nothing happened.

My instincts were to jump on them and it worked every time like that. Try to jump on the sword or the pawn's head and they should launch you almost every time if they're in position.

edit: Should probably remove that image just in case xextil. Even though it's not centered I'm pretty sure it still counts as a scan.

Top Bottom