• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Skilletor

If there was co op then, while it'd be fun to run around with some friends punching monsters in the face, it might end up like my experiences with playing with strangers on games such as Crackdown 2 and Borderlands. Specifically I'd be playing away but there'd be people with incredibly powerful weapons/higher stats etc completing the game for me.

I actually saw the credits roll for Crackdown 2 after I'd completed two of the islands because some sods were away off bouncing up the Agency tower doing the final mission. That sucked. Some other people finished of Borderlands for me. And when I saw that kind of thing happening again on Dead Island, I had to play it offline from there on.

So, yep, I'm not missing co op in DD.

So don't play with people?

Really don't understand. It's not like coop would force you to play with others.

Im glad capcom had the balls not to make it coop. Brave move.

Games designed around coop usually end up being a completely different experience. We have already seen how they ruined resident evil with that shit.

You mean how RE5 had a completely incompetent AI member and was more fun with a person?

Or so I've heard, anyway. I've never played it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Im glad capcom had the balls not to make it coop. Brave move.

Games designed around coop usually end up being a completely different experience. We have already seen how they ruined resident evil with that shit.

RE5 suffered from her AI, but that was remedied by co-op. This not having co-op doesn't necessarily mean the AI is going to pull their weight, but it's too early to say. However, if it does suffer from the same issue, there's not much you can do about it here.

Kobayashi is just making shit up now about the traveling hours, I'm sure Itsuno says an hour or two in the first stream

IIRC 1-2 hours to travel the world was just sprinting from one end to the other, he's saying 4-5 hours to run along the outside. Still probably exaggerating, especially with the "over 300 hours" stuff.

after playing the demo. my main worries are the framerate, which is shit and the story.

other than that. It is leagues beyond crap like skyrim when it comes to combat. This is actually fun.

Patryn

RE5 suffered from her AI, but that was remedied by co-op. This not having co-op doesn't necessarily mean the AI is going to pull their weight, but it's too early to say. However, if it does suffer from the same issue, there's not much you can do about it here.

It could be argued that her AI suffered because Capcom assumed that she'd be controlled by another player, so they didn't devote the time necessary to make her a truly effective partner.

pvpness

If there was co op then, while it'd be fun to run around with some friends punching monsters in the face, it might end up like my experiences with playing with strangers on games such as Crackdown 2 and Borderlands. Specifically I'd be playing away but there'd be people with incredibly powerful weapons/higher stats etc completing the game for me.

I actually saw the credits roll for Crackdown 2 after I'd completed two of the islands because some sods were away off bouncing up the Agency tower doing the final mission. That sucked. Some other people finished of Borderlands for me. And when I saw that kind of thing happening again on Dead Island, I had to play it offline from there on.

So, yep, I'm not missing co op in DD.

You should play with friends exclusively. All those games are made so much better by playing with people you actually know.

Papercuts

It could be argued that her AI suffered because Capcom assumed that she'd be controlled by another player, so they didn't devote the time necessary to make her a truly effective partner.

I could see that, but we'll just have to see how pawn AI pans out in the full game. With the way they apparently learn more about the world as you play, I'm pretty hopeful in it being well done.

Anteater

Man reviews are out and still no words on actual replayability, variety and other stuff I want to know about :(

Only summary on graphics and sound lol

ironcreed

Banned

Same with Lost Planet 2. However, this game was designed around having effective partners. The entire game is built around the Pawn System. Going by all of the footage and even the demo, the Pawns seem more than efficient at doing their job. So much so, that some are going to opt for trying to solo the game. Which I think will end up being more than they bargained for in many cases. We shall see, lol.

Patryn

Man reviews are out and still no words on actual replayability, variety and other stuff I want to know about :(

The bulk of reviews with that stuff probably won't be coming for another couple weeks. Keep in mind, it's not out for another 3 weeks.

I saw the pad thai and the truck box reference and didn't want to be left out is all...

Seriously though, you can't FAULT it for something that you want and it doesn't have. That is why you are wrong, you are asking for something they never took away from you. I mean people throw 'entitled' around all the time here but this is an ACTUAL example of it!

Also, wheres my fucking ice cream?

...what?

Skilletor

You should play with friends exclusively. All those games are made so much better by playing with people you actually know.

I only ever play games with people I know. The times I play fighters with random people I'm called racial epithets and told I'm a 30-year old virgin who lives in the basement with his mom, in the ghetto.

Schwabe

and another quote from the interview regarding - yes - multiplayer ... \o/

"It is, I think, the first of its kind. A lot of open-world games like this are multiplayer, but we specifically chose to make this a one-player open-world game – with network functions. The pawns are a sort of legion of not-quite-human people: they don't act under their own volition, but they follow. As you play the Arisen, you can command them at your will. There are plenty of pawns you can choose from as your support pawns, and your main pawn will be with you throughout the game. The reason for the existence of the pawns – why are there pawns in this world, and why aren't they human? – will also be answered as you play the game."

He's saying don't take points off for shit that was never promised.

Oh I get it, but just think it's a ridiculous way of quantifying critique.

Like I can't be disappointed a feature that may have added a lot to the game isn't present because the developer never promised me it?

So any faults I have must have first been promised to me by the developers?

Skilletor

Like I can't be disappointed a feature that may have added a lot to the game isn't present because the developer never promised me it?

The devs never said the game would be 30fps, so you shouldn't be disappointed that it isn't.

Anteater

I won't really argue the whole coop vs pawn thing, but sometimes I think I'm actually their only target audience with the pawn system
KuGsj.gif

My friend don't really play video games nearly as much as me, and we never really play at the same time, so usually in mmo we don't actually get to interact much, and it's actually the reason I quit some of them, since you always have to sync with them in time and levels, so my friend is actually looking forward to play this, and she's not really good at action games so it's probably really beneficial for her to get some items from me.

Well... theoretically if the pawn system work as good as intended.

Derrick01

Banned
I won't really argue the whole coop vs pawn thing, but sometimes I think I'm actually their only target audience with the pawn system
KuGsj.gif

My friend don't really play video games nearly as much as me, and we never really play at the same time, so usually in mmo we don't actually get to interact much, and it's actually the reason I quit some of them, since you always have to sync with them in time and levels, so my friend is actually looking forward to play this, and she's not really good at action games so it's probably really beneficial for her to get some items from me.

Well... theoretically if the pawn system work as good as intended.

Nope I'm with you too!

Many of my friends are the stereotypical dudebro gamers so they won't even play this anyway but in my experience co-op never works even with gamer friends. It's really hard to find someone who can mirror your playstyle. If you want to slow down and take in the view or explore a town then you're probably slowing your partner down, or vice versa if he wants to slow down at a different point than you.

It's just a generally messy experience and it takes me out of the world and the story. That's why I prefer that stuff to be thrown into its own mode where it's not infecting the single player at all.

Tex117

Banned
Kobayashi is just making shit up now about the traveling hours, I'm sure Itsuno says an hour or two in the first stream
He said if you walked around the coast line it would take that long...Itsuno said if you walked across.

Count me in for the whole Pawn system thing...Gawd I hate traditional multiplayer crap and the fanboys who demand everyone have a "buddy" list and lobby.

Some games are different...its okay!

Skilletor

He said if you walked around the coast line it would take that long...Itsuno said if you walked across.

Count me in for the whole Pawn system thing...Gawd I hate traditional multiplayer crap and the fanboys who demand everyone have a "buddy" list and lobby.

Some games are different...its okay!

I hate AI party members. It is my intent to go through this game using only the default one I am required to use.

That being said, you shouldn't add anybody who wants multiplayer in this particular game as a "fanboy." I would rather play with friends or not have AI party members I cannot control.

Anteater

Nope I'm with you too!

Many of my friends are the stereotypical dudebro gamers so they won't even play this anyway but in my experience co-op never works even with gamer friends. It's really hard to find someone who can mirror your playstyle. If you want to slow down and take in the view or explore a town then you're probably slowing your partner down, or vice versa if he wants to slow down at a different point than you.

It's just a generally messy experience and it takes me out of the world and the story. That's why I prefer that stuff to be thrown into its own mode where it's not infecting the single player at all.

Yeah, nothing wrong with having options, but if they have to go for only 1 and not the other, then oh well.

ironcreed

Banned

The point is that in professional reviews, one is supposed to be objective and judge the game within the context of what it is and who it is aimed at. Sure, it is fine to say that you would have liked multipayer, but you can't let that kind of subjectivity factor into your professional score and overall review for the masses.

Say a reviewer mainly loves sports games and multiplayer shooters in his personal life outside of his reviewing job. Should he dock points in his review of some deep, long and complex RPG because it does not include at least one golf mini-game or a team deathmatch multiplayer component? After all, that is the kinds of features he likes. So I guess he must deduct points for everyone else out in the public who may have interest in this sort of game, right?

Deadstar

Why does an awesome game like this not get a pc version alongside release? It seems like the developers are clearly trying to push the envelope but the hardware just can't support their full vision. The developers should want to release their game on consoles and pc so that it can run at a solid frame rate as it was intended to.

Haha Capcom's even learning how to bullshit the length of their game like western rpg devs. 300 hours? Noooooope. I would be shocked (but pleased still) if it took half of that time to do everything.

Well maybe that is with playing through the game with every class type and skill available, then I could buy that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally played through the demo on 360 last night. Didn't notice much tearing; still roughly a wash between this and the PS3 version?

Holy god is this game going to be good.

Patryn

Finally played through the demo on 360 last night. Didn't notice much tearing; still roughly a wash between this and the PS3 version?

Holy god is this game going to be good.

If you didn't notice the tearing, then the 360 version is probably better. It undeniably has a higher framerate.

Anteater

Not sure if it's reason enough to deduct one point from the X360 version, but the game does look better on PS3. Sharper overall look and less blurry textures.

That's kind of interesting, I wonder if that review mentioned anything about framerate, they just said 360 is more "stable".

Dragon's Dogma |OT| Fence Sitters, there is no damn co-op and it isn't Monster Hunter and it's definitely not souls either

is that too long?

need to add skyrim in there somewhere

Dragon's Dogma |OT| Fence Sitters, there is no damn co-op and it isn't Monster Hunter and it's definitely not Souls either, and stop crying about framerates and no lock.

Anteater

Dragon's Dogma |OT| Fence Sitters, there is no damn co-op and it isn't Monster Hunter and it's definitely not Souls either, and stop crying about framerates and no lock.

The framerate will be fixed damn it, with the use of the magical FXAA

ForzaFerrari

Neo Member
Dragon's Dogma |OT| Fence Sitters, there is no damn co-op and it isn't Monster Hunter and it's definitely not Souls either, and stop crying about framerates and no lock. Also it has dragons like Skyrim that don't fly backwards :D

Long, but certainly answers most of the same questions being asked.

Not sure if you're doing the OT or not, but please don't make the OT title anything like that. Celebrate the game, not the dipshittery of the haters and complainers. Given the nature of what happens to the main character, my suggestion is Dragons Dogma: Stop Dragon My Heart Around

Papercuts

Not sure if you're doing the OT or not, but please don't make the OT title anything like that. Celebrate the game, not the dipshittery of the haters and complainers. Given the nature of what happens to the main character, my suggestion is Dragons Dogma: Stop Dragon My Heart Around

Haha, I like that.

eilegz

Banned
tried last night, and seems have play and feel like the cursed crusade, dragon age, demon soul, dark soul.

The controller and gameplay feel dated and the graphics have the same gray green scale.

the lack of cooperative its not good neither....

So much to improve, but so far not cool

Riposte

I already played the OT name game...

|OT|...

Capcom returns to DnD
A Heartbreaking Tale
Bring a Lantern
Itsuno's Dream Game
Dragon May Cry
9.9 million copies to go
Enter the Pawn
It's Time to Slay the Dragon

(Can't think of anything that involves climbing)

EDIT: Dragon Souls

EDIT: Trying to think the most annoying thing the pawns were saying repetitively during the demo.

ironcreed

Banned

Nope, that would be Dresden. On the OT title, I still like Dragon's Dogma |OT| Pawn Stars. That was a suggestion first made by user, FineHamAbounds.

The point is that in professional reviews, one is supposed to be objective and judge the game within the context of what it is and who it is aimed at. Sure, it is fine to say that you would have liked multipayer, but you can't let that kind of subjectivity factor into your professional score and overall review for the masses.

Say a reviewer mainly loves sports games and multiplayer shooters in his personal life outside of his reviewing job. Should he dock points in his review of some deep, long and complex RPG because it does not include at least one golf mini-game or a team deathmatch multiplayer component? After all, that is the kinds of features he likes. So I guess he must deduct points for everyone else out in the public who may have interest in this sort of game, right?

The difference is, we are talking about something that makes sense to be included, not some arbitrary element shoehorned in.

I get that you like the game, I do too. But your logic does not resemble my earth logic. What would your stance be if, say, he docked points because the game had no new game plus?

Riposte

insmileoutblood the problem is that they would be holding Dragon's Dogma to a standard which doesn't even exist. Skyrim, Amalur, and plenty of other titles were likely not docked for a lack of multiplayer despite being MMO-like in quest/content design and sometimes even having AI companions. Sounds like bullshit to me.

Arcteryx

The difference is, we are talking about something that makes sense to be included, not some arbitrary element shoehorned in.

I get that you like the game, I do too. But your logic does not resemble my earth logic. What would your stance be if, say, he docked points because the game had no new game plus?

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I find it funny to fault a game publicly based upon your own preferences. Just because I think Age of Empires would make a good FPS complete with killing elephants with spears..doesn't mean I'm going to knock off X% from the review because the game didn't read my mind.

insmileoutblood the problem is that they would be holding Dragon's Dogma to a standard which doesn't even exist. Skyrim, Amalur, and plenty of other titles were likely not docked for a lack of multiplayer despite being MMO-like in quest/content design and sometimes even having AI companions. Sounds like bullshit to me.

Exactly.

Skilletor

Do those games have you build an AI companion at the start of the game that accompanies you at all times?

Do those games have you build an AI companion at the start of the game that accompanies you at all times?

What the fuck does it matter?

They wanted to make the game that way, they worked tirelessly to make it work the way they envisioned, what the fuck do you want from them?

Riposte

I don't know when you get your first pawn in Dragon's Dogma, but you can get your first AI companion quite early in Skyrim. Of course it is optional, just like DD. I forget the case with Amalur, but it was mostly restricted to summons. Maybe there was a Druid/Ranger style pet? Honestly forget most of that game already.

No offense but I think what you are trying to insinuate is dumb.

Skilletor

What the fuck does it matter?

They wanted to make the game that way, they worked tirelessly to make it work the way they envisioned, what the fuck do you want from them?

You okay, man? Sounds like you're taking this a little too close to heart.

I don't know when you get your first pawn in Dragon's Dogma, but you can get your first AI companion quite early in Skyrim. Of course it is optional, just like DD. I forget the case with Amalur, but it was mostly restricted to summons. Maybe there was a Druid/Ranger style pet? Honestly forget most of that game already.

No offense but I think what you are trying to insinuate is dumb.

My pawn is optional in DD? That would be great, since I don't want to rely on shitty AI party members. And re: your opinion of my insinuation, that's fine. No skin off my back.

Not really trying to insinuate anything. I'm flat-out stating that having a friend play in place of the AI pawn I have created would be far preferable. I might not dock points in a review for it, were I the one reviewing, but the game would certainly score higher if I could replace the AI with a friend.

Top Bottom