• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Anteater

Meh, quoting for the new page:
yo dawg i know you like quotes so.. said:
There's a thread on gamefaqs and someone seem to have ripped 1,427 of item pictures, not sure if it's ok to link/post, but if anyone are curious about it and don't mind spoilers. I'm too lazy to look (and I don't want armor appearance spoiled for me) so I'll just paste what other people have found:

There are some hints of other types of monsters from the descriptions among other things:

Gamefaqs said:
Monsters:

* Succubus
* Gargoyle
* Giant Undead
* Specter (different from phantom)
* Phantasm (yes different from specter & phantom)
* Skeleton Lord
* Lich
* Metal Golem (lulz!)
* Gorechimera (creepy name, huh)
* Vile Eye (different from Evil Eye aka Beholder)
* Wyrm (yes it's different from Drake, there were "Drake's Tear and Wyrm's Tear)
* Wyvern (same as above)

Arrows:

- Blast Arrows (detonates on impact)
- Poison, Blinder, Silencer, Sleeper, Petrifying, Oil arrows (debilitation effects)
- Maker's Fingers (ultimate arrow: kill instantly, after being equipped it's lost after you restore from a save point)

Lots of different quivers, too. Seems like some might provide a special benefit for the "normal arrow", like explosiveness. Must be rare I guess. Normally their differences seem to be like "more sturdy" or "more durable", while more heavy too.

A sword named "Dragon's Dogma". Lulz!
Griffith's armor / sword is described as "White Hawk xxxxx"

TONS of capes/cloaks. Reminds me of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Tons of cool-looking helmets, bows, swords, daggers, mauls, hammers, greatswords, maces and shields.

* Charms and Talismans (kinda like potions it seems... improve stats or gold gain, etc)

* Magical Tomes (seems like they will be needed to upgrade some magic skills)

* Lots of Ores, Herbs, Concoctions and Raw materials.

* Blue, Red, Green, etc - Hair and Body pigments. Avatar, much?

Somethingawful said:
-Food items apparently have three stages of freshness: Fresh/normal, sour, and rotten. Items like flasks and other containers which can preserve your food.

-#110 - A ferrystone. Teleports you to gran soren or a portcrystal. #112 is a port crystal. "Placed anywhere one might wish to return."

-#113 is the wakestone, which lets you bring people/NPCs back to life. 114 are wakestone shards, collect 3 for a wakestone. 11D is a Dragon's Gaze: "power to locate wakestone shards and note their location on your map. power fades after one use"

So is the entire game just the same bland hills and whatnot? No snowy mountain tops or colorful dungeons/towns?

Everything I've seen of the game is so drab.

Anteater

So is the entire game just the same bland hills and whatnot? No snowy mountain tops or colorful dungeons/towns?

Everything I've seen of the game is so drab.

There are forests, dungeons and stuff but the theme seem to stay the same since it takes place on the same peninsula, not sure what dungeons are like outside of catacombs

abundant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euxqEPl12eM&feature=g-u-u

New video showing just how strong the Sorcerer can be. The Exequy spell can one hit kill just about anything, but the bigger the enemy, the longer the cast time. The cast time for a golem was over 90 seconds. You have to keep the spell on or near the enemy for the entire cast time too, so this spell will only work well against golems, cyclopes, and smaller enemies.

The spell also drains stamina quickly.

I'm psyched for the varied arrow types. Whenever I play an archer build in an RPG I wish there was some sort of variety of arrow for different types of opponents or situations. I'd love to see an arrow that splinters on impact and spreads to nearby enemies.

So am I correct in assuming there's a crap-ton of equipment to collect and upgrade?

Lucent

I'm psyched for the varied arrow types. Whenever I play an archer build in an RPG I wish there was some sort of variety of arrow for different types of opponents or situations. I'd love to see an arrow that splinters on impact and spreads to nearby enemies.

So am I correct in assuming there's a crap-ton of equipment to collect and upgrade?

I'm happy about this, too! I loved playing the strider in the demo. I like how quick and nimble they are. Going from melee to arrows is quick and fun. But now knowing that we have various flavors of arrows, it makes playing a bow wielder even more enticing.

-sigh- Damn you, Newegg.com. Selling the game for $12 cheaper than everyone else and making me wait another 3 days after launch to play it. >_<

Anteater

From what we've been told, yea there are a lot of stuff to collect, they said you probably can't collect everything in a playthrough, but none of the reviews say a single thing about these kind of stuff, so I still remain extremely skeptical because of Capcom :(

So I'm hoping that by my supporting this game, Capcpom will want to pursue more RPG endeavors and will decide to make an open-world Breath of Fire for PC/PS3/360.

;_;

El Sloth

Banned
Is this where we can post our poorly designed pawns? My amazon (she's 196 cm tall):

CkdD1l.jpg

K0Howl.jpg

I was thinking of focusing on archery and magic with my main guy and figured I should have a pawn that focused on close combat dealing big damage while soaking it up at the same time.

I didn't just wanna make generic huge NFL guy and decided on making some sort of warrior amazon. She has elf ears just because.

Should I try more colorful hair? Play up the fantasy aspect of the game.

Wallachia

Enjoyed the demo more than I expected. The character designs are ugly, the graphics aren't the best, but I like the combat, the world, and the overall feel. It was also pretty confusing to figure out what the hell was going on sometimes because my character would disappear into darkness or under a monster.

Yeah it was hard to make sense out of things for me too at times. I went into Options and turned off the Pawn banter text. That helped.

PS. Anyone else stoked on the day to night timescale? It was cool when it started happening during the Griffon fight. Now I hope they fix the banding. Haven't had that cool day/night mood since Simon's Quest :) (see my avatar)

Lucent

Yeah it was hard to make sense out of things for me too at times. I went into Options and turned off the Pawn banter text. That helped.

Supposedly in the retail version we'll be able to stop the actual banter all together if we want. And lessen it if we still wanna hear it sometimes but not a lot.

Is this where we can post our poorly designed pawns? My amazon (she's 196 cm tall):

I was thinking of focusing on archery and magic with my main guy and figured I should have a pawn that focused on close combat dealing big damage while soaking it up at the same time.

I didn't just wanna make generic huge NFL guy and decided on making some sort of warrior amazon. She has elf ears just because.

Should I try more colorful hair? Play up the fantasy aspect of the game.

I like the unconventional choice of dreads - I think the color's fine. She'd look really cute with darker skin and green eyes. Or maybe super pale with green eyes and red dreads, for a highland barbarian look?

I love how many kinds of characters we can make in this game - I'm a sucker for a good character creator.

El Sloth

Banned
Replaying the first quest with no enemy health bars and skipping the extra two pawns made the thing a lot more tense and difficult. I actually had to use my items for once!

Would be cool if there was an option to toggle whether bringing up your inventory pauses the game. Something like a "hardcore" mode.

I like the unconventional choice of dreads - I think the color's fine. She'd look really cute with darker skin and green eyes. Or maybe super pale with green eyes and red dreads, for a highland barbarian look?

I love how many kinds of characters we can make in this game - I'm a sucker for a good character creator.
I took your advice and made her skin darker. It helps her bright golden yellow eyes, which don't really show well in my shitty cellphone shots, stand out more. I think I'm going to keep her with the darker skin rather than try for a paler look. I imagine I'll probably be able to find plenty of those from other people through the stones.

Shame you can't make hair black. The darkest there seems to be is a muddy brown.

Omg, I had no idea equipment could be layered similar to games like Morrowind.

Haha, can't wait to wear plain clothes with pauldrons and gauntlets again.

is there a dodge button in the game? nevertheless I have mine paid in full.
I don't know if there is a dodge, per se, but I noticed certain abilities had a sort of dodge built in. If I recall, in the prologue demo my main had an attack present while holding R1 that had him quickly backstep and then move in for a counter.

El Sloth

Banned
I don't know if there is a dodge, per se, but I noticed certain abilities had a sort of dodge built in. If I recall, in the prologue demo my main had an attack present while holding R1 that had him quickly backstep and then move in for a counter.
In the griffin quest your character has a dodge roll (RB/R1 + A/X) so it might be class specific.

Edit: Derp, already answered.

They won't. And dodge is tied to Daggers the same way block is tied to shields and levitation tied to staffs, you can only perform those moves when you have those weapons equipped.

I see. Does anyone know if classes can equip weapons they don't normally specialize in for those evasive purposes?

I had just found it too, ha ha. Man, I never realized all the social media stuff marketing departments do.

Yeah, giveaways are all over the place on social media sites. The FFXIII facebook page just outright posts a list of codes for people to grab every time DLC comes out. It's crazy

Edit: nevermind that, it seems most of their code giveaways were all done on the same day. Still, though, it's pretty crazy

Top Bottom