• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Was this posted? A finnish magazine Pelit gave it a 9.2

shit is all over the place :p

A little earlier today. True about the scores. It'll be interesting to see how sales fare. Devs claim they've been guaranteed a million sales in Japan alone. I doubt they'll come anywhere near that in the West. I hope I'm wrong. If the game turns out to be good, we could always use more new IPs.

So, say what you will about the gameplay mechanics of it, but they totally address this in the story itself. Its not like you are in a party of 4 adventures and only the player-controlled one can revive others, which would make no sense - in this game your character is a completely different entity than the pawns.

Ok then that does make sense, I withdraw my earlier statement. My real issue is when there is no explanation and it makes no sense. Especially in FFXIII where all the characters had similar abilities and the party leader kept changing.

eXistor

Amalur's world is infinitely more interesting to me than DD, which is quite bland. Amalur falls apart when it comes to difficulty balancing, which to me is an absolute crime and tells me they didnt bother to test it properly. I regret giving them my money.
I don't mean to discredit anyone's opinion, but what exactly did you find so interesting about Amalur's world? I finished the game and all I got out of the world was nothing but repetitive stretches of land, each with a different coat of paint but hardly any difference in design. "secrets" and plants that are all located along the edges of the map, none of them actually secret as the game plain gives them away. I found myself getting extremely bored by the world by the time the third map came along and the fact that there was literally no challenge even on hard made it even more boring to play.

To me, DD seems much more well designed, it feels a lot more like an actual, physical world instead of interconnected flatlands and the combat (and everything really) had a fantasic physicality about it. Again, that's just my opinion and I'm actually interested to see why people rate Amalur so highly whereas I found it to be utterly generic and uninspired, bith in quest and world design. Basically everything that's wrong with mmo's but transferred into a single player game.

I think it's simply to do with preference though, one man's trash is another man's treasure as they say.

Anteater

man the play magazine review is short, I like the note underneath the score
KuGsj.gif

"48% Or you could try The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, A more enjoyable, wondrous way to wander aimlessly. With added fast travel. 93%"

Derrick01

Banned
man the play magazine review is short, I like the note underneath the score
KuGsj.gif

"48% Or you could try The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, A more enjoyable, wondrous way to wander aimlessly. With added fast travel. 93%"

I still maintain that the media should be employing actual gamers and not whiny casuals.

Anteater

Man, I hate it when other people like different things than me.

No one is hating them though, we're pretty aware what negatives the game could have but all of the reviews are so polarizing that they don't address some of the issues properly, the positive reviews says nothing about what they don't like about the game since the score don't reflect it. The play magazine review don't address whether the AIs could be changed or not because we were told that you could, among other stuff mentioned in the thread.

I don't mean to discredit anyone's opinion, but what exactly did you find so interesting about Amalur's world? I finished the game and all I got out of the world was nothing but repetitive stretches of land, each with a different coat of paint but hardly any difference in design. "secrets" and plants that are all located along the edges of the map, none of them actually secret as the game plain gives them away. I found myself getting extremely bored by the world by the time the third map came along and the fact that there was literally no challenge even on hard made it even more boring to play.

To me, DD seems much more well designed, it feels a lot more like an actual, physical world instead of interconnected flatlands and the combat (and everything really) had a fantasic physicality about it. Again, that's just my opinion and I'm actually interested to see why people rate Amalur so highly whereas I found it to be utterly generic and uninspired, bith in quest and world design. Basically everything that's wrong with mmo's but transferred into a single player game.

I think it's simply to do with preference though, one man's trash is another man's treasure as they say.

Graphically more interesting. Cities/towns more interesting. The overall look of the environment more interesting (Sorry, but DD in every video I see is drab beyond belief). I tend to prefer the more colorful graphics of games like Amalur over the muted tones of DD. It may be the look they were going for, but to me it's a lackluster look.

This is the second time you've done nothing but write a snarky comment and then run off. Contribute or dont, but don't do that.

Sounds like a fucking advertisement.

Sounds like advice to me. Whether we agree with it or not.

ironcreed

Banned
WOW, this game really is very, very large! Check this video out from Rob Cram showing just how big the game really is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q3BJUgm-fI

Also nice how much random stuff it tracks, that's a pretty impressive "History" feature there which I've never seen highlighted before.

50 hours of gameplay in that one stretch and a huge area left to uncover. That will do very nicely. This guy is actually putting in the time required for a game like this, and I dig that.

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds like advice to me. Whether we agree with it or not.

Glad I don't. Else I might miss the opportunity to form my own opinion, instead of play what this guy tells me. I sure would hate to miss a game that I might think is excellent just because he thinks I should play something else.

Derrick01

Banned

My problem was where they recommended playing another game because it has fast travel which makes it more "comfortable" to explore. It's something I would expect out of a casual gamer, not someone who plays games for a living.

Elitist? Sure I'll admit it, but that's what I want out of my industry's reviewers.

Glad I don't. Else I might miss the opportunity to form my own opinion, instead of play what this guy tells me. I sure would hate to miss a game that I might think is excellent just because he thinks I should play something else.

It's sort of in his job description as a reviewer. He's helping you/me/everyone reading his review to make a buying decision. Or he thinks he is. Calling it an advertisement implies you think he's being paid by Bethesda. I doubt very much that he is.

ironcreed

Banned
My problem was where they recommended playing another game because it has fast travel which makes it more "comfortable" to explore. It's something I would expect out of a casual gamer, not someone who plays games for a living.

Elitist? Sure I'll admit it, but that's what I want out of my industry's reviewers.

Actually, we should be grateful. If anything, it is looking like this was made with the old school in mind and not for those who want instant gratification. In other words, a game that rewards you for sinking your teeth in and putting time into it. Just look at the video above by Robert Cram that shows how little of the world he has put 50 hours into... and how much is left to be uncovered. That is pretty telling.

ironcreed

Banned
It's sort of in his job description as a reviewer. He's helping you/me/everyone reading his review to make a buying decision. Or he thinks he is. Calling it an advertisement implies you think he's being paid by Bethesda. I doubt very much that he is.

I did not mean literally. Jesus Christ, man. I said it sounded like one and it kind of did. I know full well that he was just making a recommendation of games that he feels the reader would be better off playing. It just rubbed me the wrong way and I did not like the way it was worded, OK?

I did not mean literally. Jesus Christ, man. I said it sounded like one and it kind of did. I know full well that he was just making a recommendation of games that he feels the reader would be better off playing. It just rubbed me the wrong way and I did not like the way it was worded, OK?

Woah, you're taking all this too seriously. Chill. If he'd given a 98 instead and advised you to buy it, it wouldn't sound like an advertisement. Just pointing out that the perception of his words are clouded by our wish that the game actually be great, and according to this guy it's far from it. Based on everything I've seen, read, played, I have a hard time taking a 48 seriously. But I reserve the right to be wrong.

Anteater

Woah, you're taking all this too seriously. Chill. If he'd given a 98 instead and advised you to buy it, it wouldn't sound like an advertisement. Just pointing out that the perception of his words are clouded by our wish that the game actually be great, and according to this guy it's far from it. Based on everything I've seen, read, played, I have a hard time taking a 48 seriously. But I reserve the right to be wrong.

I would still find it funny and point it out if he give DD a 98% and put it underneath Skyrim :p, I didn't know reviewers are suppose to do that

ironcreed

Banned

LOL, I was actually laughing because you thought that I was being literal. Sorry that did not come through in my post. No, I am not taking all of this seriously either. As I am confident that I will disagree with this guy's review completely based on everything I have seen and even sampled in gameplay. All I care about is that I enjoy the game. Besides, there are some positive reviews as well, you know? The game is hardly getting panned.

LOL, I was actually laughing because you thought that I was being literal. Sorry that did not come through in my post. No, I am not taking all of this seriously either. As I am confident that I will disagree with this guy's review completely based on everything I have seen and even sampled in gameplay. All I care about is that I enjoy the game. Besides, there are some positive reviews as well, you know? The game is hardly getting panned.

There are more positives than negatives out there now.

WOW, this game really is very, very large! Check this video out from Rob Cram showing just how big the game really is:

Also nice how much random stuff it tracks, that's a pretty impressive "History" feature there which I've never seen highlighted before.

bisonyes.gif

I love huge worlds to get lost in explore. 50 hours and still what looks like about 3/4 of the map left to discover? Impressive. A little daunting, in a good way.

ironcreed

Banned
There are more positives than negatives out there now.

Exactly, but I still think it is going to be all over the place. Who knows? It is just a polarizing new IP that looks like you will either love or hate, with not much middle ground. All I know is I am confident that I will love it. *shrugs*

Derrick01

Banned
Actually, we should be grateful. If anything, it is looking like this was made with the old school in mind and not for those who want instant gratification. In other words, a game that rewards you for sinking your teeth in and putting time into it. Just look at the video above by Robert Cram that shows how little of the world he has put 50 hours into... and how much is left to be uncovered. That is pretty telling.

I would hope that's what it means. I'm trying to keep my expectations and hype in check this year since I can be pretty picky but I am looking forward to this. I'm choosing to get it over Max Payne 3, that's how much hope I'm putting into this.

he spent 45 hours in the game and did 48 quests ?and the area unconvered was kinda small ...

I have anouther reason to look forward to this game

Arcteryx

lol @ whoever wrote that Play review. In the opening paragraph they bitch about "fetch" quests. Are you fucking kidding me?

and double lol @ the blurb about Skyrim and fast travel...which is actually in DD. The way they word it, implies DD doesn't have it.

It just SCREAMS opinion and not an actual PROFESSIONAL review. GG to them

I just read the PLAY magazine review & holy shit what bad review.

He complained that he died a lot, hated there was no online & hated the A.I. couldn't be micromanaged in battle!
MENTIONED ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE, literally, nothing else about the game from a 2 page review! In the review page, the pictures were all of what seemed like the starting gear & the beginning area!

How do people like this get jobs?

Derrick01

Banned
lol @ whoever wrote that Play review. In the opening paragraph they bitch about "fetch" quests. Are you fucking kidding me?

and double lol @ the blurb about Skyrim and fast travel...which is actually in DD. The way they word it, implies DD doesn't have it.

It just SCREAMS opinion and not an actual PROFESSIONAL review. GG to them

You didn't hear about that Skyrim game and how it has 0 fetch quests?

90% of the quests in that game are fetch quests

Lucent

I'm trying to contain my hype! I do hope all that uncovered area that he showed when he zoomed out is actually explorable.

This

It would kinda suck if it wasn't. I just really hope this game is huge for the sake of exploration and stuff. I actually don't mind it not having a huge plot. I can play the more standard JRPGs for that.

wanders

This

It would kinda suck if it wasn't. I just really hope this game is huge for the sake of exploration and stuff. I actually don't mind it not having a huge plot. I can play the more standard JRPGs for that.
Maybe I'm in disbelief that the map is that huge. Lol

ezekial45

Banned
this is the better place to ask.

Do we have an idea on what kind of loot is in the game? I'm not expecting randomly generated loot like Diablo, but is there at least a large variety in the types of weapons you can find? If there are only like 8 or so variations of each weapon, then I'm going to be disappointed.

UrbanRats

@Wanders: You better be, i know i am, after Two Worlds 2.

^ We've seen a lot of equip in the various videos, so i guess there should be enough stuff.
I remember a number was thrown around in one of the streams, but i can't remember what it was.

brickface

I got your back. =D

Ah, it was Dransfield. He's a big guy, I might need your help indeed.

I've read his review (there's scans out there) and though he makes some good points the score seems overly harsh. But yeah, even though i haven't played the full game yet or can make any real comparisons to his review and my experience with the game, I'll gladly go round to his house and kick the shite out of him. And when you look into his eyes, it's almost as if he understands....

PSA: friend who works at Gamestop told me the guides are in the system as shipped. Meaning guides will probably be in the wild on Monday! Will try to pick one up at the Max Payne midnight launch tomorrow.

Anteater

this is the better place to ask.

hmm we don't know about weapon types, there seems to be weapons of different speed but no one ever talks about them, but if you're talking about number of weapons, judging from the words from the dev and the achievement, there are decent amount of them in the game since they said you won't likely be able to collect them all in one playthrough.

One of the achievements was:

Obtained
350 pieces total of weapons and armor.

Don't know how many of them are palette swaps and just the same weapons with different names

hmm, there seem to be a lot of caves on regions he did explore, not sure if those are different entrances of the same dungeons, but good to see there seems to be decent amount of indoor areas, was worrying quite a bit since most of the previews seems to only show off the same dungeon

Baconbitz

Banned
So, my problem with the demo is that I had no clue what to do or what was going on in most parts. Also, those birds seemed too high of a level. I didn't have enough healers to not die.

Anteater

So, my problem with the demo is that I had no clue what to do or what was going on in most parts. Also, those birds seemed too high of a level. I didn't have enough healers to not die.

There are skills with different usage, so it's just the matter of getting use to them, could just look at the UI on screen if you didn't turn it off, you could also block by holding L1 (properly timed block will allow you to parry), the demo is chaotic for the most part because your pawns are doing most of the work for you.

As a tank you have a provoke (shield summon?) that lures flight enemies down and keep enemies away from your party members, a slash that aims upwards to hit air enemies when they're close enough, just experiment, the harpies are a pain in the butt since they're in the air but they're quite easy to take out.

You have health items too in your inventory by pressing select.

Top Bottom