• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Fence Sitters - Footage You Need to See

ironcreed

Banned
I sure wish I could stop playing this demo, but I can't.

I hear you. It is such a damn tease. After defeating the Griffin when it cuts off, all I can think about is wanting to run and climb around, while exploring the world to the amazing soundtrack. The game just has this 'vibe' that I can't explain really. I felt it when watching gameplay and it is even more powerful now that we have a tease of playing it. This is going to be a really special game for me.

I grabbed this monster , strated to stab him to death , then it flew up in the air and then i was convinced that this game Really was unlike any other ..

Why are you letting my created pawn into the second demo mission alone works but i can't choose her class ?

ironcreed

Banned
hmm seems like they released a longer version of the developer diaries part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZwx3CYpKqo

I was wondering why it just abruptly ended earlier. Anyway, this game has so much going for it that makes it stand out. I am hoping it blindsides people and ends up doing really well. As it is obvious that a ton of thought and overall work went into this game. When Hideaki Itsuno said that there is nothing else like it, you can tell by his expression that it was not just marketing and that he meant it. There is not another open world action RPG like this, and to those who have been paying attention, it's obvious already.

Anteater

Yeah, seems like they've used a lot of talents and is one of the biggest projects they've attempted, something different for them for a change too.

Itsuno gets to do his own big game, hope it goes well for him, would be a shame if the game turns out to be really good and gets ignored like a lot of the past new IPs by Capcom.

UrbanRats

Yeah, seems like they've used a lot of talents and is one of the biggest projects they've attempted, something different for them for a change too.

Itsuno gets to do his own big game, hope it goes well for him, would be a shame if the game turns out to be really good and gets ignored like a lot of the past new IPs by Capcom.

The lack of online was a pretty big mistep on their part, at least marketing-wise.
Personally, i think the only element at this point that would make me not buy is if the one-character-only thing manages to be true; but for a lot of people, i think it's hard to see what's special about this, against other stuff like Skyrim, which has had a bigger media impact.

Because it is just a demo and they want you to buy the game, lol.

i know ..but ...BUT

You can, as far as I can tell.

When creating your Pawn, whatever basic build you choose determines their class.

Not really i was attempting a do a "shierke" and she wounded up with a giant sword trying to close up on that griffon.

No i wasn't trying to do a GUTS character. The game got my feeligns for berserk right but not on the right character

i bet this stuff is random for the demo ...

Demo is really cool, short but cool!

I really love the artstyle, hard to explain, I've just always preferred a Japanese designed take on this kind of world (Dark Souls, FFXI etc over similar 'western' games with a sword and shield style world). They just make such cool looking monsters and armor. :D

A couple of stores around here are offering pre-order bonuses, I hate them because I never know whats good having no real idea about the rest of the game. >_> How am I supposed to pick one?

Anteater

So many things I'm not sure if I should highlight
KuGsj.gif

Can you summarize the part about difficulty even though it might be bull? They said it has a set difficulty as you said, BUT they definitely did not talk about new game+ and what changes there are, because the game has 199 levels and they claimed that a play through could only get you to around a hundred, so there could potentially be something different with a second playthrough else it would just make the game even more easy at lvl100, not to mention it would be really weird to even get exp from easy enemies on a new game ...

Unless of course, they are encouraging players to Solo. So I'm very interested to learn about what it say about difficulty.

Anteater

Here's what the poster had to say about the comment about the difficulty being a set thing.

They meant that there is a set experience quota that can only be adjusted on Impending Doom mode.

And about the lack of a new game+.

There is no New Game+. They want the player to play the game again with a different fighting style, with different allies, and they want them to choose different paths.

Thanks, and this is beginning to sound really weird if they are true, while I think the choosing different paths makes sense but a new game+ allows you to do all of that, and you could also switch jobs in game, so yeah, weird, lol.

but yeah,
Impending Doom mode
sounds like it could be bullshit like you said, but it could be cool if there's definitely something we don't know about that could affect replayability.

Thanks, and this is beginning to sound really weird if they are true, while I think the choosing different paths makes sense but a new game+ allows you to do all of that, and you could also switch jobs in game, so yeah, weird, lol.

but yeah,
Impending Doom mode
sounds like it could be bullshit like you said, but it could be cool if there's definitely something we don't know about that could affect replayability.

The whole thing was bullshit. Still want the game.

Anteater

Jesus, every time I see something new about the game, it makes me drop my jaw!
Literally my most anticipated game this year.

This is the Capcom I known that made Resident Evil 4 & Devil May Cry 3!

Well it is literally the same producer for RE4 and the same director that did dmc3 =P

Really hope they pull this off, seems like Capcom really went all out on this one.

sublimit

Banned
I hear you. It is such a damn tease. After defeating the Griffin when it cuts off, all I can think about is wanting to run and climb around, while exploring the world to the amazing soundtrack. The game just has this 'vibe' that I can't explain really. I felt it when watching gameplay and it is even more powerful now that we have a tease of playing it. This is going to be a really special game for me.

Well to each his own but i thought the game became much,much more atmospheric (almost became a different game) when i turned the music off.I thought the music was generic pompous stuff anyway.

What didn't you like about it? The demo is a lot more fun if you take out the pawns, or just keep a mage around if you want to kill faster, at its current state it's just watching pawns killing stuff for you in a tutorial

After i killed the lion in the first demo it ended. Same happened with the Griffin. It was really short. I thought the combat was a little clunky, and the camera was really bad at times.

Anteater

After i killed the lion in the first demo it ended. Same happened with the Griffin. It was really short. I thought the combat was a little clunky, and the camera was really bad at times.

Yeah the camera could get really messed up if you're close to a wall, increasing sensitivity to max helps a bit.

I thought the controls were kind of responsive though, you could pretty much cancel out of most basic attacks (maybe not the heavy attacks? I can't remember precisely), but you have air block, being able to start aiming before you hit the ground from jumping, stuff like that, but the special moves are kind of clunky as you need to wait for them to end.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Is it just me, or are we in a platinum stage of RPG gaming?

Everywhere I look I see really, REALLY good RPGs coming from all directions... nearly too many to keep up with (which is a brilliant thing!).

My backlog hasn't got a chance.. lol

Ahasverus

Everywhere I look I see really, REALLY good RPGs coming from all directions... nearly too many to keep up with (which is a brilliant thing!).

Yes we are :O It's shocking. The wRPG genre was obscure just 2 years ago with only Mass effect oblivion and fallout making a splash, and see how we're doing now. It's slowly, but firmly becoming my favorite genre in gaming replacing action adventure :O

Derrick01

Banned

Nothing will ever top the late 90s-early 2000s where the wrpg genre was in its prime on PC and the jrpgs were in their prime on consoles.

As far as the "accessible" age that we live in now I guess it's been pretty good, at least if we just name drop games like Skyrim and don't analyze them any further than "hey it's another ES game". The Souls games and hopefully this one seem to be the only really challenging ones on consoles whereas Witcher 2 and other euro PC RPGs picked up some slack on the PC side.

Frillen

Haven't been following this title that much, and sorry in advance if this question has already been answered, but how how is the enemy levelling in this game? Do they scale like Oblivion or like Skyrim/Kingdoms of Amalur. Or like Withcer 2 (and like other jRPGs)?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Haven't been following this title that much, and sorry in advance if this question has already been answered, but how how is the enemy levelling in this game? Do they scale like Oblivion or like Skyrim/Kingdoms of Amalur. Or like Withcer 2 (and like other jRPGs)?

Seems as tho things are much more "hard leveled" than something like skyrim. Much more like a jrpg where there will always be creatures that are lvl 1-10 and there will always be things 80-90 and if you are leagues above/below those mobs the experience of fighting them will change accordingly. What is completely different about DD tho, is that while you may be outgunned in level to a beasty... if you play well enough it's not an automatic death sentence. Just 90% of a death sentence.

Really enjoyed the demo.

Still forcing myself to be cynical in hopes of being pleasantly satisfied with the final product, but I'm a pressure cooker of hidden hype atm.

abundant

Game Informer gave it a 8.5. Nothing was said about the tech side of things and the only real big complaint was that the story isn't strong, pretty forgettable. They praised the combat a lot and also liked the Pawn sharing stuff. Every time they rested at an Inn, they were excited to find out what their Pawns learned from others using them and what, if any, gifts they got.

ironcreed

Banned
Game Informer gave it a 8.5. Nothing was said about the tech side of things and the only real big complaint was that the story isn't strong, pretty forgettable. They praised the combat a lot and also liked the Pawn sharing stuff. Every time they rested at an Inn, they were excited to find out what their Pawns learned from others using them and what, if any, gifts they got.

Within the range of scores I have been expecting. Looking forward to getting my issue so I can read it.

Anteater

They must've toned down on the boulder punching

I wasn't really that impressed with the demo to be honest....

The combat was fun....climbing onto the enemies was clunky as hell for me though.

And they really need to fix the voiceovers, everyone talks over each other I can't understand shit!

Dorfdad

Gold Member

The combat was fun....climbing onto the enemies was clunky as hell for me though.

And they really need to fix the voiceovers, everyone talks over each other I can't understand shit!

Just remember that this was a demo, from what I heard the final fixes alot of things, also read somewhere that the motion was more fluid in the final.. which was my biggest complaint.

Massa

Exact same impressions I got. Will give it a shot when it's $20.

I assume pawn speech was on "full blast" in the demo. In the final game there will be a way to get them to only spout pertinant information, i.e. how to kill a boss/enemy instead of commenting on how pretty the flowers are.

Top Bottom