• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 is coming to the west - $49.99, 2014 release

ZenTzen

Correct me if my memory is fuzzy, but didn't Drankengard 1/2 suck ass? Why is everyone so hyped about the 3rd one coming stateside?

it didnt, sure they werent best thing ever kind f games but they were good for different reasons, Drakengard 1 was mostly good because of story, while Drakengard 2 was better in the gameplay department.

either way, i just hope this games isnt censored too much like the previous ones

john tv

So, who translated Nier and handled the VO direction? I know 8-4 worked on it, but I believe the actual translator wasn't one of the full time staff?
I oversaw the VO for Nier. :) Translation and writing all handled by 8-4 regulars (we don't have in-house staff translators).

sensui-tomo

Yes. Digital only for Europe apparently though.

If its physical i am right to assume that we will be getting a dub of it right? Since SCEA doesnt allow for non-dubbed games to be published (Exception includes yakuza.... i want restoration sooo bad)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
If its physical i am right to assume that we will be getting a dub of it right? Since SCEA doesnt allow for non-dubbed games to be published (Exception includes yakuza.... i want restoration sooo bad)

There are more exceptions to this than just Yakuza nowadays. I think SCEA pulled way back on that requirement.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Nier is one of my favorite games from this generation, but I'm honestly a bit ignorant to Drakengard, even if I know they are connected.

Same production staff work on this game, or is it another group? I'm just curious how Nier-like this is (even if that seems like a backwards way to look at it).

Edit: wait - cavia shut down... forgot about that.

killatopak

Gold Member
Nier is one of my favorite games from this generation, but I'm honestly a bit ignorant to Drakengard, even if I know they are connected.

Same production staff work on this game, or is it another group? I'm just curious how Nier-like this is (even if that seems like a backwards way to look at it).

Nier is connected with Drakengard 1 at least. Basically the ending in Drakengard 1 is what will lead to the disease know as the Black Scrawl.

Ridley327

Yoko Taro, the mastermind of the first two games and Nier, is writing and directing this game, as well. The only major difference between this one and the other games is since Cavia no longer exists, the folks over at Access Games are the ones developing the title. Also returning are character artist Kimihiko Fujisaka, and Nier's music composer Keiichi Okabe.

ZenTzen

Edit: wait - cavia shut down... forgot about that.

Drakengard 1, Nier and Drakengard 3 are made by the same team apparently, while Drakengard 2 was made by a different team

Nier is based on one of the endings of the first game, where Caim the MC and Angelus the dragon from the first game go to another dimension resembling current era Tokyo and while there after defeating the final boss the grotesquery queen, they get killed by JSDF jets, after that the queen starts dissolving into maso, some kind of particles that cause the human race to turn into monsters or straight up die, while the dragons maso is used later to develop the magic present in Nier

TnK

Is there an uncensored drakengard 1+2 on the internet somewhere? Not pirated mind you, but the ones that allow you to patch if you have the original copy.

Astarte

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (x3)
PLEASE be an early 2014 release and not be censored. A collector's edition would be very nice too!

ys45

YES ! that news made my day (hell my week !)

Square Enix might be on the right path to redemption with this :p

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nier is connected with Drakengard 1 at least. Basically the ending in Drakengard 1 is what will lead to the disease know as the Black Scrawl.

According to series creator Yoko Taro Nier is, to him, Drakengard 3, and this is Drakengard 4.

Dinda

Yes! Fantastic news! But don't even think about changing something in the game to fit the "western" tastes!

I hope they release a big special ecition with artbook and especially Soundtrack.

koutoru

This will probably be Square Enix's last big release on PS3, won't it? Nonetheless, this game looks awesome so far.

Ridley327

This will probably be Square Enix's last big release on PS3, won't it? Nonetheless, this game looks awesome so far.

I think that there's a good chance that Kingdom Hearts 2.5 will wind up being on the PS3, but this is almost certainly the last big original release for the system.

MechaX

Correct me if my memory is fuzzy, but didn't Drankengard 1/2 suck ass? Why is everyone so hyped about the 3rd one coming stateside?

The Cavia games were definitely examples of games that were more than the sum of their parts. With that said, Nier was a little bit better at this, while Drakengard 1/2 were slogs for different reasons (Drakengard 1 had halfbaked Dynasty Warriors/Panzer Dragoon combat, but it's story was a hilarious mindfuck to get through; Drakengard 2 has better, but not good gameplay with its story taking a bit of a nose-dive). Luckily, most of Nier's staff is working on this game, so it'll probably be closer to that than anything else.

For anyone who wants to play through the first two games, don't. Drakengard 2 is kinda irrelevant for story and lore reasons, and Drakengard 1 didn't age all that well. It would be best to watch it on youtube or watch an LP (I personally suggest The Dark Id's screenshot LP for both games, and maybe Nier).

2San

According to series creator Yoko Taro Nier is, to him, Drakengard 3, and this is Drakengard 4.
So is it then safe to assume you don't need to play Drakengard 1 and 2 to understand what's going on in 3? I hope there is no censoring.

killatopak

Gold Member

I see. I hope he keeps making 5, 6 , etc at the future

*Looks at poster's avatar*

Emil!!!!

I gotta replay NIER before I play Drakengard 3. I simply LOVE the game.

Ridley327

So is it then safe to assume you don't need to play Drakengard 1 and 2 to understand what's going on in 3? I hope there is no censoring.

3's a prequel, so yes. I'm sure there's going to be allusions that people who played through the first game will better understand, but it's made to be a good starting point.

koutoru

I have an interview for this title later today... any questions for the devs?
What changes in game mechanics have they implemented since Drakengard 2, basically what new things were they able to do with Drakengard on PS3? (And the obligated dual audio question.)

Gbraga

Please ask about censoring. I kinda wanna know about possible preorder bonuses (specially digitally since we usually get great dynamic themes) too

How is it improved compared to Nier gameplaywise would be an interesting read as well.

Lime

Will the HUD and the blood splatter on screen be toggleable?

And ask them if there's any reason for why all the female main characters are named as numbers, whereas the male characters have unique individual names.

Top Bottom