• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drawn To Death |OT| NeoJaffe is Back (READ MOD POST)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This is actually not bad? I was expecting a dud based on the trailers and screenshots but it's a blast to play.

Can you earn trophies in friendly matches?

I don't think so. I explored a few of the maps and found some of the secrets that reward trophies, but they didn't trigger until I did them in a real match.

Like with most games a lot of people will skip/pass on a game because it doesn't look as appealing, thus got no hype and had quite a bit of of negative responses.

People arent going to even try the game or see your words in it. Even if they do make it to that point they may still not try it.

With that said I was near that feeling for the most part but I thought a few days before launch that maybe it will be one of the few that ends up better than it looked. In truth that is rare and most games, especially shooters can be looked at while being well judged.

This game has more to it with the style, the setup, jokes and menu systems.

To top it off it actually plays and controls fairly well which atleast in the lastgenerations and even today was not typically the case for a small team game.

Now they just need to push forward, create a system that let's you unlock new characters. Keep the maps free and possibly try to add a non online, but, story component like the intro.

I also hope really hope they take out the initial sign in to launch the menu, itens etc so you can view something when not online. Just ask you to sign in when need be.

My last tidbits are.

Music player with unique art and song play.

Map play without having to enter a match. This is great for entering maps, setting size and just running around to learn them. This really needs to happen for those that just want to see the maps and learn them casually and for the experts who want to test special shots or angles etc. I really get annoyed when games don't have a function to let me freely play on maps.

Assuming these things aren't in unless I missed them but they are basic things that every shooter and game should just have imo

Can the friendly match be played alone? Either way still hope for solo map visits to be played offline etc

Hydrargyrus

I think this is the first review (sorry, it's in Spanish)
http://www.vandal.net/analisis/ps4/drawn-to-death/27377

Pros
- Characters and weapons with well differentiated behaviour
- Free for PSn users in April
- Original and characteristic graphics...

Cons
- ...but it affects the gameplay.
- Few characters.
- Microtransactions.

Summary
Drawn to Death is a frenetic shooter, fun and with a huge graphic and audio personality, but it's gameplay lacks depth and could be confusing.

I've played two games and have no idea what I'm doing at all, but had some fun with it. Gonna play some more hopefully later tonight or this weekend.

One thing I will say that I didn't like is that it just seems like it takes forrreveeeerrrr to get into a game. And I don't mean finding a game. Like all the menus, choices, loading, etc. Maybe I'm wrong, but those are my first impressions.

Really harsh article over at Kotaku, Ms. Alexandra and I really just don't have the same tastes, I guess. Only part that really bugs me is:

I can't say that's been my experience, and I think I've seen a ton of people explicitly say just the opposite

The art style is remarkable. I don't know who shit in their cereal, but their 'criticism', or lack there-of, is garbage. The game functions incredibly well and is a joy to play thanks to the humor.

Foxxsoxx

If anyone wants to add me and play some matches later tonight feel free, PSN is Fakehound.

I'd imagine it's a lot of fun with a partner.

*Splinter

Really glad this game is free or I would have skipped it based on the general negative reception it's been getting. Love the art style, the humour, and the gameplay. Seriously underrated game.

Foxxsoxx

Really glad this game is free or I would have skipped it based on the general negative reception it's been getting. Love the art style, the humour, and the gameplay. Seriously underrated game.

Right?

I wouldn't have bought this game otherwise, it's a real nice surprise just like Rocket League was.

There is a surprising amount of depth here.

Creaking

Reviews complaining about a lack of depth definitely make me question how much the reviewers have played. Like, did they simply not dig deep enough? Or are they expecting weapon attachments and perks? I think there's plenty of depth. Mastering character specials, mastering some of the higher risk/reward weapons, and mastering the maps and their secrets all account for depth to me.

JimiNutz

Banned
I tried the tutorial earlier (waiting to play proper when my friend join me) and was surprised at the complexity. I was expecting something easy to get into like Overwatch but there were a lot of different guns, multiple specials for each character, giant hands!

Had no idea what was going on but I think it's going to be a lot to sink my teeth into. Seems fun and I actually really like the art style.

*Splinter

I tried the tutorial earlier (waiting to play proper when my friend join me) and was surprised at the complexity. I was expecting something easy to get into like Overwatch but there were a lot of different guns, multiple specials for each character, giant hands!

Had no idea what was going on but I think it's going to be a lot to sink my teeth into. Seems fun and I actually really like the art style.
This was my impression during the tutorial as well. It's actually slightly easier to follow once you get into a game as you just have 1 character and a few weapons at a time to focus on.

Overwatch is easy to get in to..?

Endo Punk

Decided to get in on the ranked matches with my new skin unlocks for Johnny boy. Really enjoying the Organ mode, and the one where you lose points is tense as hell. The gameplay grew on me fast and I just love traversing the environment. The gif taunts are glorious,wish we could download them too lol.

kyan_hexagon

Neo Member
Having the same problem in ranked here as I was in Uncharted 4. Too often it's a team game, and too often it pairs me with a rank 1 against a pair of rank 12s. Good thing you can back out.

When I first played ranked I got put in a 1v1 match against a guy named bumblebeetuna and he proceeded to stomp me 4 to 0.

He was then in the next 5 matches I played (TDM, DM, etc.) and came in first in every one of them.

He was the bane of my existence that night.

Foxxsoxx

When I first played ranked I got put in a 1v1 match against a guy named bumblebeetuna and he proceeded to stomp me 4 to 0.

He was then in the next 5 matches I played (TDM, DM, etc.) and came in first in every one of them.

He was the bane of my existence that night.

DAMN YOU BUMBLEBEETUNA!!!

ThisOne

So what's the Hand? Does every character have access to it? I completed a bunch of challenges and the final one was to get 40 damage with The Hand. After I did that one, it didn't seem to unlock anything. Maybe completing all 15 just gave me access to The Hand? I don't know what's going on half the time in this game haha.

r8er34

So what's the Hand? Does every character have access to it? I completed a bunch of challenges and the final one was to get 40 damage with The Hand. After I did that one, it didn't seem to unlock anything. Maybe completing all 15 just gave me access to The Hand? I don't know what's going on half the time in this game haha.

You use the directional pad during a round to activate. It's essentially like a mini killstreak. I imagine doing the challenges for it allow you unlock different variants. The basic one is a missle that is fired. I know there is a machine gun and a pencil stab also.

I really like it personally. I just posted my review if anyone's interested -- but it seems I'm preaching to the choir in this thread:

Push Square - 8/10

Drawn to Death's juvenile presentation belies a nuanced shooter that's frankly a breath of fresh air. The title fuses fighting games with frenetic on-foot action that feels quite unlike anything you'll ever have played before. Quality game modes and an imaginative roster of weapons are only let-down by the whiff of lingering microtransactions that have seemingly survived the title's business model change unscathed. Other than that, though, it's f*cking awesome.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/drawn_to_death

I really like it personally. I just posted my review if anyone's interested -- but it seems I'm preaching to the choir in this thread:

Push Square - 8/10

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/drawn_to_death

This really isolates how I feel. Fun game, something refreshing (that I've missed), but man the SLOW DRIP in earning keys and the nonexistant drip of chests are buzzkills. I'm personally too used to constantly getting *something* in games like Overwatch (but that was a $60 game). Maybe my expectations are messing with me, but the microtransaction wall feeeels weird.

But the GAME is a blast

Creaking

There are a lot of secrets, yeah. Here's what I know:

The gladiator stage has some wall buttons (and the center of a tapestry) that you can shoot to drop down the nearby ceiling and instantly kill anyone underneath. It's great to lose a pursuer after crossing through the bounce pads. There are also small medusa faces at the top of two or so archways. If you shoot those, the face will shoot a wide beam that turns anyone who crosses it to stone for a few seconds (they have to break out). They're a little trickier to use, but can also be great for losing pursuers, or trapping an opponent for tasty damage. You can also blow off pieces of the dead cyclops to move through it a little easier. Not sure if there's more.

The Alientown map has a lot of secrets. There's an alien tentacle wielding a car in the top right corner of the map (from spawn fly-in). If you shoot it, the tentacle will swing three times, and instantly kill anyone it comes into contact with. I narrowly won a deathmatch game using that. There are are a lot of hidden areas and warps too. There's a plain drawing warp on a wall in the bottom right corner of the map that will take you to the top of the buildings in that area (there's a grannies pies billboard up there that you can shoot to get a trophy. Lots of map aesthetics change when you shoot them.). You can jump into the fountain in the center of the map and there's a little sewer area with a few weapons, and a health pickup next to a warp that takes you to the center of the building on the left side of the map. In the upper floor of the north end of that same building, there's a bathroom door that you can shoot open. Again, there's a health pickup and a warp that takes you across the map. I don't think I've gotten the trophy for using all the warps in one game yet, so there's probably more stuff I don't know about.

In the bloody mansion map or whatever it's called, there's a large portrait of the dissected frog in the upper area of the map that--when approached--opens up to reveal a long hallway with a health pickup at the end. There's also a ghost holding a candelabra at the end as well. If you shoot it, the ghost will quickly charge through the hall and instakill anyone in its path. There's a warp at the bottom of the map that takes you back to the top, but it's not particularly hidden. I don't know of any other secrets on that map.

On the Flooded map, there's a lady liberty statue wielding a gun with a health pickup on the end. If someone is going for the pickup, you can shoot the statue's gun and it will in turn shoot and kill whoever is standing on the barrel. I haven't explored this or the other maps too thoroughly yet, so I don't know of any other secrets.

For general tips... I like to plant mines on the outside of warp gates, on the way to health pickups, and near bounce pads. Stuff people use in desperate situations, or stuff you use while running away. I get some nice kills that way. I also fly around a lot and use the RPG and Patriot Act like a jerk. It's worked out pretty well so far.

This stuff is great! Thank you.

I went back and found a few more things.

Alientown
  • Inside the fountain sewer, there's a wall that says "the manhole". It's basically a hand-drawn goatse that you shoot to open up. Once it's open, there's another health pickup and you can jump inside to launch back out of the top of the fountain, destroying the statue that normally s
    h
    its there.

• In the central room of the bottling/human meat processing factory on the left side of the map, there are hooks conveying various body parts across the ceiling. At either end are openings that warp back into each other. I'm pretty sure these are the last warps, but I haven't tested it yet.

Bloodbath (the bloody mansion level)

• There are two fireplaces on the map that you can walk through to warp to the other one. You'll light yourself on fire and take damage though, so it's pretty risky.

Flood

• In the room that's at the lowest part of the map (it's mostly underwater), there's a stage with a bunch of stereos and banners and stuff, walk up onto the stage, and you'll warp into a tour bus that's just outside the room (completely submerged) There's a health pickup, and it's generally a great place to find some respite, being disconnected from the rest of the map.

I checked out Swearhouse, Siege, and Mt. Killmore, but as far as I can tell there's nothing to find. The descriptions for the latter two ("Maybe one of these days I'll finish this drawing...") even suggest that they're more vanilla than something like Alientown.

Creaking

Nah, they start you with a set of 15 non-character specific challenges that just reward you with more blood-key gain. After they're finished, I think that might be it. Hoping it's on a weekly refresh or something, 'cause key gain is brutally slow.

The hand is just a once-per-game super move that gives you a chance to get ahead or seize the win if used well. Everyone can use it, but there's a shared cooldown period between uses (so if one guy just finished using it, you have to wait a little bit before using it yourself).

r8er34

I went back and found a few more things.

Alientown
  • Inside the fountain sewer, there's a wall that says "the manhole". It's basically a hand-drawn goatse that you shoot to open up. Once it's open, there's another health pickup and you can jump inside to launch back out of the top of the fountain, destroying the statue that normally s
    h
    its there.

• In the central room of the bottling/human meat processing factory on the left side of the map, there are hooks conveying various body parts across the ceiling. At either end are openings that warp back into each other. I'm pretty sure these are the last warps, but I haven't tested it yet.

Bloodbath (the bloody mansion level)

• There are two fireplaces on the map that you can walk through to warp to the other one. You'll light yourself on fire and take damage though, so it's pretty risky.

Flood

• In the room that's at the lowest part of the map (it's mostly underwater), there's a stage with a bunch of stereos and banners and stuff, walk up onto the stage, and you'll warp into a tour bus that's just outside the room (completely submerged) There's a health pickup, and it's generally a great place to find some respite, being disconnected from the rest of the map.

I checked out Swearhouse, Siege, and Mt. Killmore, but as far as I can tell there's nothing to find. The descriptions for the latter two ("Maybe one of these days I'll finish this drawing...") even suggest that they're more vanilla than something like Alientown.

Outstanding

Fury451

Banned
If someone ask me what this game is like I'm going to tell them Twisted Metal with feet.

Well, I was literally about to come in here and say something very much like this.

I like this game, I like it's style. I'm kind of bad at it, but there's a lot of fun and the visuals are fantastic.

Daouzin

Really harsh article over at Kotaku, Ms. Alexandra and I really just don't have the same tastes, I guess. Only part that really bugs me is:

I can't say that's been my experience, and I think I've seen a ton of people explicitly say just the opposite

Yeah, I definitely believe the opposite. Game looks much better in motion. However, everything else that was said was spot on.

Game is decent enough that I wouldn't call it bad, but after spending an hour and a half with it and forcing myself through the horrible tutorial I don't see myself giving it another shot.

The writing in this game is just too awful

I need more from people saying the writing is bad. You can say that you don't like it, but I think it's effective in achieving the voice it aims for.

C8o423MXkAEtjOy.jpg
Frog needs to be some kind of character or part of. I haven't been playing the game as much as I like as matches are hard to find here in china but does he make any gameplay apperances, he should be a frogger 8bit weapon or something.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I need more from people saying the writing is bad. You can say that you don't like it, but I think it's effective in achieving the voice it aims for.

I get what they were going for.. but it's bad. I mean, haha.. it's a 15yr old kids notebook.. so edgy and funny.. gotta cuss a lot and say stupid things.

It's just too much.

Creaking

Room 15, yeah boiii

I feel bad for the guy in the last game though. It was an organ donor 1v1, and he could never manage to kill me. I kept evading and grabbing health pickups. By the end he was just standing there, a defeated man.

I do feel a little proud (or scummy? Is there a difference?) at having earned the "Get 1st in 25 matches" trophy long before the "play 50 matches" trophy.

I get what they were going for.. but it's bad. I mean, haha.. it's a 15yr old kids notebook.. so edgy and funny.. gotta cuss a lot and say stupid things.

It's just too much.

That's fair.

There was one match when I was about to score the winning points, and the announcer kept talking and talking and talking and it honestly felt like he was trying to psych me out when I was so close to winning haha

It's just too much.
That's how I feel as well. I only played the tutorial, a lot of it was just the frog being cruel and mocking the player, I get what they are doing, I guess we are just not their target audience.

I also couldn't get a game started after finishing the tutorial, waited in the lobby for 5 minutes with never more than two people coming in and out. Will give it another try tonight, but this is a free game so I expected more people to be playing.

hurzelein

From the Kotaku article:

The biggest problem with Drawn to Death is that it feels awful to play. What might have been a fast and furious affair ends up far lacking focus. Movement feels like everything is in space. You float in the air and slide around slippery arenas. Health pools are far too large, allowing you to tank countless bullets and rockets. Matches drag on. There's no momentum. It's dull

I actually think the complete opposite about controls, movement and momentum. It has some other problems that haven't been fixed yet (mostly lobby & netcode, but nothing gamebreaking), but definitly not in the gameplay department lol. Weird how people can have totally different experiences.

Buying my first crates now to support this game, that Kotaku article sealed the deal :D

Creaking

Made it to Room 19 in Ranked. Last checkpoint until 25. Been on a nice winning streak. :)

Darknight

Did anyone get trophies from the Beta version? Do you have 2 sets or one?

btw thinking of getting the GOW skins pack for $5. Not sure yet though.

Made it to Room 19 in Ranked. Last checkpoint until 25. Been on a nice winning streak. :)

Nice! I just got on and haven't had too much time to play, but currently at level 5 haha. Hopefully I can keep it up. What kind of loadout are you running?

Edit: make that room 6 B)

Demoskinos

Played a bunch more tonight. Game is fantastic and really scratching a shooter itch I really didn't know I had right now. Shame it came out right at the same time as Persona 5 cause I'm sure a ton of people are still focused on that but.... for real don't sleep on this game once you wrap your head around it and find a character that works for you its a lot of fun. :)

Went and also bought $15 worth of boxes so I could give some money back to the devs. Jaffe earned my money on this one.

Creaking

Nice! I just got on and haven't had too much time to play, but currently at level 5 haha. Hopefully I can keep it up. What kind of loadout are you running?

Cyborgula, RPG, Patriot Act as primaries. Uncle Joe, LAW, and the FU47 as pickups. I'd probably pick other weapons for the latter two, but I'm trying to hoard Blood Keys. Uncle Joe I fire and replace. Not worth it to reload. Oh, and Proxy Mines.

I back out if I get paired with a rank 1 in TDM, unless it's against two players of a similar level. Just can't trust them to play defensively. I also try to play on maps with lots of secrets that I can use to my advantage.

Between that and playing viciously and/or defensively, I've been securing mostly wins, and usually first place.

Demoskinos

Has anyone found all the secret warps on the Alien map? Was trying to go for that trophy tonight whenever that map popped in rotation but I think I'm missing one or two and I don't have the foggiest idea where they'd be.

Top Bottom