• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drawn To Death |OT| NeoJaffe is Back (READ MOD POST)

Man the art style is incredible.
Weirdly not what I expected at all when I saw the trailers and footage. The presentation of all of it is just top notch

Bishop89

Man the art style is incredible.
Weirdly not what I expected at all when I saw the trailers and footage. The presentation of all of it is just top notch
Agreed.

I remember ppl complaining during reveal time how it would be hard to make out things coz it'll blend together bla bla.

Far from it

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Having the same problem in ranked here as I was in Uncharted 4. Too often it's a team game, and too often it pairs me with a rank 1 against a pair of rank 12s. Good thing you can back out.

I mean, they said we will receive the 10 bucks at the 6th or 7th of april, so...

Nah, this is a Sony Rewards code, they don't normally take this long.

shmoglish

Having the same problem in ranked here as I was in Uncharted 4. Too often it's a team game, and too often it pairs me with a rank 1 against a pair of rank 12s. Good thing you can back out.

Nah, this is a Sony Rewards code, they don't normally take this long.
They sent out an e-mail with the date I mentioned. The code will also appear in the notification menu.

Creaking

This is what I'm talking about with the ranking BS:

LBke5Ho.jpg

Why do I deserve to lose a star for that performance? My teammate couldn't even score one point, but took 8 of ours.

They sent out an e-mail with the date I mentioned. The code will also appear in the notification menu.

I'm not talking about the promotion, lol. I had 1,000 points on Sony Rewards and cashed in for a $10 PSN code almost a week ago.

shmoglish

This is what I'm talking about with the ranking BS:

LBke5Ho.jpg

Why do I deserve to lose a star for that performance? My teammate couldn't even score one point, but took 8 of ours.

I'm not talking about the promotion, lol. I had 1,000 points on Sony Rewards and cashed in for a $10 PSN code almost a week ago.
Oh... haha i am sorry, really 🙈 Only had the cashback in mind.

Creaking

Just fought against a player with the 1 vs 2 buff. Its definitely too strong. Even got the golden gun and he was able to completely tank it. Wasn't even that great of a player, but man that was stupid frustrating.

Daouzin

The game is definitely much better in motion than in screenshots.

Cool concept and I like the look of some of the characters. Mostly just Diabla.

The text in the tutorial was super terrible and the game itself is pretty meh. I might give it a handful of tries before uninstalling. Overall I'm disappointed, but it's better than I thought it would be.

Edit: Why do they have you start as Johnny Savage? He's the most generic character of the bunch.

r8er34

The text in the tutorial was super terrible and the game itself is pretty meh. I might give it a handful of tries before uninstalling. Overall I'm disappointed, but it's better than I thought it would be.

Edit: Why do they have you start as Johnny Savage? He's the most generic character of the bunch.

You answered your own question - he is super vanilla and fairly easy to understand.

On a side note, has anyone developed/located any good tips and tricks for this game? Level and/or character secrets, etc?

Harmen

Lot's of fun, this game. I am still learning to use the full movesets. After playing so many more standard shooters, I tend to forget the verticality, melee, items around me, and the use of special powers.

A local 4p splitscreen mode and this could seriously become one of my go to MP games with friends. Also, 3v3 online would be a bliss I think.

Creaking

On a side note, has anyone developed/located any good tips and tricks for this game? Level and/or character secrets, etc?

There are a lot of secrets, yeah. Here's what I know:

The gladiator stage has some wall buttons (and the center of a tapestry) that you can shoot to drop down the nearby ceiling and instantly kill anyone underneath. It's great to lose a pursuer after crossing through the bounce pads. There are also small medusa faces at the top of two or so archways. If you shoot those, the face will shoot a wide beam that turns anyone who crosses it to stone for a few seconds (they have to break out). They're a little trickier to use, but can also be great for losing pursuers, or trapping an opponent for tasty damage. You can also blow off pieces of the dead cyclops to move through it a little easier. Not sure if there's more.

The Alientown map has a lot of secrets. There's an alien tentacle wielding a car in the top right corner of the map (from spawn fly-in). If you shoot it, the tentacle will swing three times, and instantly kill anyone it comes into contact with. I narrowly won a deathmatch game using that. There are are a lot of hidden areas and warps too. There's a plain drawing warp on a wall in the bottom right corner of the map that will take you to the top of the buildings in that area (there's a grannies pies billboard up there that you can shoot to get a trophy. Lots of map aesthetics change when you shoot them.). You can jump into the fountain in the center of the map and there's a little sewer area with a few weapons, and a health pickup next to a warp that takes you to the center of the building on the left side of the map. In the upper floor of the north end of that same building, there's a bathroom door that you can shoot open. Again, there's a health pickup and a warp that takes you across the map. I don't think I've gotten the trophy for using all the warps in one game yet, so there's probably more stuff I don't know about.

In the bloody mansion map or whatever it's called, there's a large portrait of the dissected frog in the upper area of the map that--when approached--opens up to reveal a long hallway with a health pickup at the end. There's also a ghost holding a candelabra at the end as well. If you shoot it, the ghost will quickly charge through the hall and instakill anyone in its path. There's a warp at the bottom of the map that takes you back to the top, but it's not particularly hidden. I don't know of any other secrets on that map.

On the Flooded map, there's a lady liberty statue wielding a gun with a health pickup on the end. If someone is going for the pickup, you can shoot the statue's gun and it will in turn shoot and kill whoever is standing on the barrel. I haven't explored this or the other maps too thoroughly yet, so I don't know of any other secrets.

For general tips... I like to plant mines on the outside of warp gates, on the way to health pickups, and near bounce pads. Stuff people use in desperate situations, or stuff you use while running away. I get some nice kills that way. I also fly around a lot and use the RPG and Patriot Act like a jerk. It's worked out pretty well so far.

Gave it a try and left disappointed. I liked the concept and overall look however the combat and stages felt a bit limited. The worst thing though is the barrage of edgy writing and "jokes". I'm not a fan of teenage humour. Constant masterbation, "your mother" and fart jokes are very off putting.

Looks and sounds like madworld

r8er34

There are a lot of secrets, yeah. Here's what I know:

The gladiator stage has some wall buttons (and the center of a tapestry) that you can shoot to drop down the nearby ceiling and instantly kill anyone underneath. It's great to lose a pursuer after crossing through the bounce pads. There are also small medusa faces at the top of two or so archways. If you shoot those, the face will shoot a wide beam that turns anyone who crosses it to stone for a few seconds (they have to break out). They're a little trickier to use, but can also be great for losing pursuers, or trapping an opponent for tasty damage. You can also blow off pieces of the dead cyclops to move through it a little easier. Not sure if there's more.

The Alientown map has a lot of secrets. There's an alien tentacle wielding a car in the top right corner of the map (from spawn fly-in). If you shoot it, the tentacle will swing three times, and instantly kill anyone it comes into contact with. I narrowly won a deathmatch game using that. There are are a lot of hidden areas and warps too. There's a plain drawing warp on a wall in the bottom right corner of the map that will take you to the top of the buildings in that area (there's a grannies pies billboard up there that you can shoot to get a trophy. Lots of map aesthetics change when you shoot them.). You can jump into the fountain in the center of the map and there's a little sewer area with a few weapons, and a health pickup next to a warp that takes you to the center of the building on the left side of the map. In the upper floor of the north end of that same building, there's a bathroom door that you can shoot open. Again, there's a health pickup and a warp that takes you across the map. I don't think I've gotten the trophy for using all the warps in one game yet, so there's probably more stuff I don't know about.

In the bloody mansion map or whatever it's called, there's a large portrait of the dissected frog in the upper area of the map that--when approached--opens up to reveal a long hallway with a health pickup at the end. There's also a ghost holding a candelabra at the end as well. If you shoot it, the ghost will quickly charge through the hall and instakill anyone in its path. There's a warp at the bottom of the map that takes you back to the top, but it's not particularly hidden. I don't know of any other secrets on that map.

On the Flooded map, there's a lady liberty statue wielding a gun with a health pickup on the end. If someone is going for the pickup, you can shoot the statue's gun and it will in turn shoot and kill whoever is standing on the barrel. I haven't explored this or the other maps too thoroughly yet, so I don't know of any other secrets.

For general tips... I like to plant mines on the outside of warp gates, on the way to health pickups, and near bounce pads. Stuff people use in desperate situations, or stuff you use while running away. I get some nice kills that way. I also fly around a lot and use the RPG and Patriot Act like a jerk. It's worked out pretty well so far.

This stuff is great! Thank you. By flying around is it safe to assume that you use Cyborgula? I love him but landing his dash is tough!

Intel_89

So is there a character that seems to be overused as of right now? I've seen a whole bunch of Cyborgulas in my matches.

karasu

I didn't start with him. I started as that shark girl. This game is edgy as shit though.

gblues

Banned
lmao seriously? Were you having a bad day or something?

Your previous complaints are legitimate but you must lack any sense of humor if you hated that joke. I snorted out loud because I fell for it!

That last complaint is, admittedly, fairly personal to me. I have a strong dislike of of talking to computers, especially games where I'm playing with the sound down to avoid disturbing others. Asking Siri to call a contact is about the limit of my tolerance for it.

Endo Punk

Sticking to Johnny Savage for the Cyberpunk skin. Bought the lazer weapon with my first key. Best choice, such a great weapon. Saving 10 keys for the sphinx thing.

hawk2025

I...

Loved this.

The intro, the juvenile, ridiculous humor with excessive cursing, which works exactly because it's supposed to be the notebook of a high school edgelord.

The presentation is great, and the game is fun to boot. I'm thoroughly surprised.

Apples_89

That last complaint is, admittedly, fairly personal to me. I have a strong dislike of of talking to computers, especially games where I'm playing with the sound down to avoid disturbing others. Asking Siri to call a contact is about the limit of my tolerance for it.

But the purpose of the joke is entirely hinged on how absurd and unwanted what they are proposing would be...the gag wouldn't have worked otherwise.

tusken77

Having lots of fun with this and enjoying the humour, having the announcer speak to me through the DS4 speaker has made me laugh a couple of times. Looking to updates, I hope HUD options are added because I find the team deathmatch score in the top left corner to be way too small. Not easy at all to read at a glance.

Sticking to Johnny Savage for the Cyberpunk skin. Bought the lazer weapon with my first key. Best choice, such a great weapon. Saving 10 keys for the sphinx thing.

I'm rocking the threeway and the rpg, people seem to love that laser weapon, but I am hoarding my blood keys for some reason lol

This game has a lot of charm. I found the humor to be surprisingly funny. I normally don't like juvenile humor that much, but the total package of the art style and humor works well. The gameplay is pretty great too. The movement took a little bit of getting used to, but once I did, it's a lot of fun. It's nice to play an arena shooter after years of COD and COD-alikes. I hope the free on PS+ thing makes the community nice and robust because it's a really fun pick-up-and-play shooter.

r8er34

I can't stop playing Cyborgula. I love his specials and being able to see the bear guy when he goes invisible. Feels too good!

I like him also. Any tips for how to use the dash? I know if you get a guy pinned in a particular spot it's super effective, but otherwise I miss a ton. By the time the bat reticule turns red and I dash, I whiff.

I like him also. Any tips for how to use the dash? I know if you get a guy pinned in a particular spot it's super effective, but otherwise I miss a ton. By the time the bat reticule turns red and I dash, I whiff.

I would say just try to lead them and shoot ahead of the direction they are running a little bit. There are also some levels with tight halls or stairways and this move slays. Don't be afraid to use it from the air, too. Cyborgula's extra jumps are insanely useful in this game.

Creaking

This stuff is great! Thank you. By flying around is it safe to assume that you use Cyborgula? I love him but landing his dash is tough!

Yeah, Cyborgula is my boi. The dash is definitely difficult, and I tend to use it more often as a close-range attack, especially if I can corner the opponent.

Those seeker bats + flying though? Absolutely brutal.

Yeah, Cyborgula is my boi. The dash is definitely difficult, and I tend to use it more often as a close-range attack, especially if I can corner the opponent.

Those seeker bats + flying though? Absolutely brutal.

Starting to feel Cyborgula might be a little overpowered. I just can't justify picking other characters over him right now. Those seeker missles are insaaane.

The rockstar character's specials are too easy too see coming and not strong enough, plus his movement is mediocre, I feel the same way about Bronco.

Definitely gotta try out Ninjaws and the demon girl though, they look like they may have potential

Foxxsoxx

Holy shit how is this OT and this game not more popular right now?

Going in with pretty much zero expectations or hype, pretty much blind and I'm loving it.

It feels like playing old school splitscreen multiplayer in the best way, yeah the humor is really in your face and its immature beyond redemption but that's sort of a horrible charm to it.

I've only played 3 matches so my opinions could change but it's incredibly fast paced fun and it really encourages you to experiment and be on your feet.

Can't recommend it enough, it's free with Plus and I can see this really taking off if people give it a chance.

Side note, Diabla is my girl and her boomerang hat is super fun to use. not to mention the JRPG is an awesome weapon, c'mon shooting cartridges that blow up into pixel art is awesome.

Creaking

Starting to feel Cyborgula might be a little overpowered. I just can't justify picking other characters over him right now. Those seeker missles are insaaane.

Do you know if the game gives you a heads up if someone is locking onto you with that special? I know a few other weapons do, like the Patriot Act. If that's the case, then the key defense is to break line of sight or get behind cover (can be difficult if Cyborgula is flying above you, of course). Those wall grenades are probably helpful too.

That reminds me, the standard grenades seem pretty bad compared to the alternatives. I absolutely adore the mines for instance, and I wouldn't be surprised (though I would be sad), if they got a nerf to damage or arming time.

Obscura

The rockstar character's specials are too easy too see coming and not strong enough, plus his movement is mediocre, I feel the same way about Bronco.

Completely agree. On the launch stream Jaffe mentioned they'll likely patch in the ability to quick drop from a jump. That will go a long way in helping people quickly escape the homing missiles so I think Cyborgula will even out once that's implemented.

Do you know if the game gives you a heads up if someone is locking onto you with that special? I know a few other weapons do, like the Patriot Act. If that's the case, then the key defense is to break line of sight or get behind cover (can be difficult if Cyborgula is flying above you, of course). Those wall grenades are probably helpful too.

It does give you that heads up, but as a Cyborgula player (need them extra jumps) I can tell you it is nearly impossible for somebody to avoid them haha

Completely agree. On the launch stream Jaffe mentioned they'll likely patch in the ability to quick drop from a jump. That will go a long way in helping people quickly escape the homing missiles so I think Cyborgula will even out once that's implemented.

That's a smart addition and should definitely help people get behind stuff when they need to. I like it

Creaking

I hope that message about the free map coming later this month isn't implying that later maps might cost money. That would be a terrible idea for a game like this.

r8er34

Definitely gotta try out Ninjaws and the demon girl though, they look like they may have potential

Interesting. I don't see him as OP, but maybe I just suck lol.

r8er34

Holy shit how is this OT and this game not more popular right now?

Going in with pretty much zero expectations or hype, pretty much blind and I'm loving it.

It feels like playing old school splitscreen multiplayer in the best way, yeah the humor is really in your face and its immature beyond redemption but that's sort of a horrible charm to it.

I've only played 3 matches so my opinions could change but it's incredibly fast paced fun and it really encourages you to experiment and be on your feet.

Can't recommend it enough, it's free with Plus and I can see this really taking off if people give it a chance.

Side note, Diabla is my girl and her boomerang hat is super fun to use. not to mention the JRPG is an awesome weapon, c'mon shooting cartridges that blow up into pixel art is awesome.

That boomerang is hard af to hit someone with.

Creaking

Dang, turns out that mystery boxes can and will yield duplicate items. You get 1/10th of the item's price in coins (20 for Common, 60 for Rare, 140 for Epic, 400 for Legendary). For how infrequently boxes are earned, that seems harsh.

I don't like loot boxes in general, but loot boxes with duplicates are the bane of my existence.

Foxxsoxx

I hope that message about the free map coming later this month isn't implying that later maps might cost money. That would be a terrible idea for a game like this.

Doubt any will cost money, probably just reinforcing that the maps will be free. Though I doubt they'll add a ton of maps. Maybe a few a year.

That boomerang is hard af to hit someone with.

Yeah I use it as a bait, the return hits much harder so I let them chase me and it makes them an easy target.

Dang, turns out that mystery boxes can and will yield duplicate items. You get 1/10th of the item's price in coins (20 for Common, 60 for Rare, 140 for Epic, 400 for Legendary). For how infrequently boxes are earned, that seems harsh.

I don't like loot boxes in general, but loot boxes with duplicates are the bane of my existence.

So pretty much just like Overwatch it seems?

r8er34

Really harsh article over at Kotaku, Ms. Alexandra and I really just don't have the same tastes, I guess. Only part that really bugs me is:

I can't say that's been my experience, and I think I've seen a ton of people explicitly say just the opposite

Yea. Shitty article is shitty. I knew exactly what they were going for prior to this game and it works just fine for what it is. If you don't like it, stfu and move along you know? That article is ass.

paulogy

Really harsh article over at Kotaku, Ms. Alexandra and I really just don't have the same tastes, I guess. Only part that really bugs me is:

I can't say that's been my experience, and I think I've seen a ton of people explicitly say just the opposite

Yeah... I disagree with pretty much everything in that article (except for the "Reload" joke which I still find brilliant). I question how much it was even played before review. Unlike a single player campaign game where you roll credits before review, where's an appropriate place to go "okay, I think I've given this game a fair shot now"? It's definitely not "after a few matches".

My response, which I'll copy here since it may never get approved was:
I disagree with this article on almost every count. For example ”Health pools are far too large, allowing you to tank countless bullets and rockets." I like that this is unlike most twitch-shooters where you die so quickly and spend most of your time walking back to the conflict points. Here you get enough time to plot out tactics, sometimes walk away wounded but retain or regain enough health to launch a counter attack on your enemy. It's much more strategic that way.

Some other examples:
"feels awful to play." (I think it feels great)
"There's no momentum. It's dull." (I've gotten into to some very tense matches, especially 1v1 or Organ Donor)
"The game boasts an extensive tutorial that rambles on and on. " (I want MORE funhouse / shooting gallery stuff like the tutorial :)

r8er34

Doubt any will cost money, probably just reinforcing that the maps will be free. Though I doubt they'll add a ton of maps. Maybe a few a year.

Yeah I use it as a bait, the return hits much harder so I let them chase me and it makes them an easy target.

So pretty much just like Overwatch it seems?

That's interesting I'll have to try it!

Card Boy

Banned
This is actually not bad? I was expecting a dud based on the trailers and screenshots but it's a blast to play.

Can you earn trophies in friendly matches?

Top Bottom