• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DreadOut |OT| Experience the World of Indonesian Horror

Played about an hour and a half of it tonight. First run, I tried jogging down the road the road that the car came in on to see where it would go. Thinking that it loaded in a larger than necessary environment, I was questioning why the game could be using up so much memory, so I just ran like Forrest Gump for a good 10-15 minutes. I'm surprised it really was endless. All I got out of it was an uintentional achievement. lol

After getting stranded on a deserted road, I ended up overwriting the save and starting anew. Off the bat, I like that Digital Happiness lets the player roam around at their free will before entering the school. Even though it may not look great, it helped in creating a sense of place in a Silent Hill (foggy draw distance and all) sort of way. I don't think I explored all of that space that I could, but I did manage to find a hidden item.

Once I entered the school, I was initially surprised by how they handled the pathfinding. The second main environment, similarly to the first, feels like a fairly intricate space rather than a funneled path and has some slight gating to ease the player down the right path without outright forcing them to go this way or that. I like this type of hands-off design with its approach to pathfinding and enemy encounters. But admittedly, it was also what got me sort of stuck
when it came to finding the key
. Looked it up after the fact without spoiling much, so I plan to tackle it again tomorrow. I was also having a surprisingly hard time trying to take a picture of that
one ghost's back to defeat it
. I was definitely clumsy with attempting to turn it around and couldn't manage to do it at the time.

But man, the sound design in this game is good. It's always capable of instilling some level of dread in me with a wide range of sound cues. I'm really looking to hearing more of it, even if the sound mixing of the voices is a little spotty.

Tiredness got the better of me this time, but I liked what I've played blemishes and all.

Just finished this. Was surprised at the abrupt ending, but I guess it makes sense if an episode 2 is coming (free) and if that is the same length it will be an ok length game. I enjoyed it, particularly how the enemies are all unique and there isn't any filler ones just to waste time. Setting was good and pretty well realized for the low budget. I especially thought the way the opening intro with all the characters walking and talking was pretty well done and didn't seem as robotic and scripted as those sequences usually do.The puzzles were pretty good and challenging and have the plus of not having any unwanted forced hints that come from modern focus tested games.

Mithos

Was this the game that were coming to consoles too, or is there another Fatal Frame like indie game coming?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Was this the game that were coming to consoles too, or is there another Fatal Frame like indie game coming?

I don't believe it's the same game, as I don't think this game was ever mentioned to be coming to consoles, just PC, Mac, Linux.

There is, though what is this replying too for a bit of context?

There's also a remake of Fatal Frame 2 that came out in Europe and Asia a year and a half ago.

Oh I just thought it could have been the game Mithos was talking about, since there aren't any other Fatal Frame like games announced on consoles.

Chabbles

Played through this yesterday. Pretty short for 15euro tbh, take a random hour from a game like SH2/3, and thats roughly the length. about an hour for me to complete, and very rough around the edges. But it was still decent, like a 7/10 imo.. just way too short.

Kouriozan

That boss fight was like Fatal Frame but the puzzles were a bit undewhelming for that first part.
Hopefully it'll be better.
I found the "ending boss" well done though.

Shengar

It's PC exclusive as of now, but this is not because the dev wanted it to become exclusive. But rather, they couldn't make a console version since we here don't have official representation of any platform holder. The closest we can get is Sony, but it's their electronic division, not SCE so they don't have the privilege to giving out support.

-MD-

Played through this yesterday. Pretty short for 15euro tbh, take a random hour from a game like SH2/3, and thats roughly the length. about an hour for me to complete, and very rough around the edges. But it was still decent, like a 7/10 imo.. just way too short.

An hour long? Weren't people saying like 8+?

akaoni

Banned
I beat the game last night. I ended up doing laps around the area you end up in for most of the game, probably 2 hours worth or more because the game failed to present what I needed to do clearly enough, the stepping stones were either bad or non-existent. Read the How To Play and you'll fare much better. Lots of empty space that serves very little purpose. It's okay but I would wait and see.

Chabbles

I beat the game last night. I ended up doing laps around the area you end up in for most of the game, probably 2 hours worth or more because the game failed to present what I needed to do clearly enough, the stepping stones were either bad or non-existent. Read the How To Play and you'll fare much better. Lots of empty space that serves very little purpose. It's okay but I would wait and see.

Yeah, you can get stuck pretty easily at one point since you need to go to a certain area and take a picture to unveil/unlock the next step, and theres no clear indication or prompt telling you to do this, but if you see a black cat, follow it, and it will stop near the place where the picture needs to be taken.

-MD-

Its an hour long, maybe 2 if you get stuck on some of the puzzles.

Edit,
I recorded my playthrough and just checked, took me roughly 1 hour and 20mins.

Jesus... as great as this looks I could never pay more than 5 bucks for a 90 minute game.

akaoni

Banned
Yeah, you can get stuck pretty easily at one point since you need to go to a certain area and take a picture to unveil/unlock the next step, and theres no clear indication or prompt telling you to do this, but if you see a black cat, follow it, and it will stop near the place where the picture needs to be taken.

The confusing part about the cat is it walks away towards a bathroom down the hall with the door that can't be opened. Otherwise I took a million pictures of the thing, just not in the right spot which was hard to get precisely even when I knew it was there on my second playthrough. I'm not even sure if there's a white hint for it, I assumed it was only for the nearby lock. There's also no mention in the journal about what you need the picture of, when I read the How To Play I worked towards it, not that I had not tried before but now it was more of a "We're telling you that it might be super strict".

I hear the demo is a prequel of sorts for anyone that didn't play it yet, myself included.

Chabbles

The confusing part about the cat is it walks away towards a bathroom down the hall with the door that can't be opened. Otherwise I took a million pictures of the thing, just not in the right spot which was hard to get precisely even when I knew it was there on my second playthrough. I'm not even sure if there's a white hint for it, I assumed it was only for the nearby lock. There's also no mention in the journal about what you need the picture of, when I read the How To Play I worked towards it, not that I had not tried before but now it was more of a "We're telling you that it might be super strict".

I hear the demo is a prequel of sorts for anyone that didn't play it yet, myself included.

Yeah, i was taking pics in the bathroom with the locked toilet too since the cat stopped right outside it.. couldn't find anything though.. so just moved on.
But they really should give some idea to the player about the picture you need to take that progresses the game along. I dont see how its possible to not get stuck there.. even if you know the spot from watching a letsplay (what i ended up having to do), its still hard to get in the exact position for it to work.

I liked the demo prequel, its about 30/40 mins worth of gameplay, i enjoyed it more then the game, i found it moved along alot smoother, and was more creepy.

Dusk Golem

Interesting takes from you guys. I'd place it more at 2-4 hours, but mainly because there are a few points where you solve puzzles and a lot of optional content. The length of Act 1 isn't that long though, but Act 2 is coming later as a free update for purchasers down the line, so hopefully that amends some length discussions (as an Indiegogo backer, there's several locations they've been working on they've posted about in the last 6 months that didn't end up in Act 1 I can only assume are in Act 2, like this cavern sewer level and this market town area).

On the puzzle stuff, I actually liked it quite a bit. But it's like older horror games where part of it is figuring out what to do, and I'd argue that they do a lot of visual clues to lead you in the right direction.
What you need to do is pointed out from a trailer of blood by the locked closet, there are drawings you can align there you can only see in your camera, and a noise on the ledge where you take the picture and an aura to point out there's something important there. Not to mention the cat walks up to it.

However, hearing differing opinions is always fun for myself. If you guys haven't already, I suggest heading backwards into town after it turns dark before entering the school. It's the biggest hidden area secret in the game, but there's several, made a Steam guide about secrets/easter eggs in the game as it seems I ended up being the first person 100% the game.

akaoni

Banned
Interesting takes from you guys. I'd place it more at 2-4 hours, but mainly because there are a few points where you solve puzzles and a lot of optional content. The length of Act 1 isn't that long though, but Act 2 is coming later as a free update for purchasers down the line, so hopefully that amends some length discussions (as an Indiegogo backer, there's several locations they've been working on they've posted about in the last 6 months that didn't end up in Act 1 I can only assume are in Act 2, like this cavern sewer level and this market town area).

On the puzzle stuff, I actually liked it quite a bit. But it's like older horror games where part of it is figuring out what to do, and I'd argue that they do a lot of visual clues to lead you in the right direction.
What you need to do is pointed out from a trailer of blood by the locked closet, there are drawings you can align there you can only see in your camera, and a noise on the ledge where you take the picture and an aura to point out there's something important there. Not to mention the cat walks up to it.

However, hearing differing opinions is always fun for myself. If you guys haven't already, I suggest heading backwards into town after it turns dark before entering the school. It's the biggest hidden area secret in the game, but there's several, made a Steam guide about secrets/easter eggs in the game as it seems I ended up being the first person 100% the game.

Including my 2 hours of strolling around I assumed that was a bug until you told just now. The puzzle isn't difficult in itself, I just feel there needs to be baby steps for the player to build up the game logic to know what they should be looking out for, among other things. It's too close to the other important part of progress nearby which ended up throwing me off big time, and the journal failed me when I did eventually tire of searching.

Already did the strolling around, was going to do it on my second playthrough when my first save disappeared because I shutdown my PC, but I turned back to get to where the school was quickly cause it was like 3am. Went in for a third go to check the town out. So the game does something right, I don't mind playing it where as other games I drop in a few minutes. I don't know if I can recommend it to people in earnest because it could be just my love for the type of game speaking.

And yeah I just realised who you are on Steam Community.

So trying to load my game and after I hit load, it just sits there, no loading bar or anything. Is this normal? Also does this take long to load for everyone else?

Has to be a bug then, you're fucked.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/269790/discussions/0/558756255869697930/

Try verifying the files using Steam. Game needs a 64bit OS I think.

Yeah I restarted, re-installed, so far nothing has worked to let me reload my game. The game itself will start and play if I do new game. Its just the load won't work. None of them will. It just acts like its going to load. Just no bar ever appears at the bottom and I just see the background. What a shame.

Bout to start this. Indonesian or English voices? I don't remember the English VA from the demo being too bad.

Also wondering if the textures actually look like that or my compy's messing up again

Please tell me I'm not supposed to go down this road. I thought a character would stop me from going too far but I've been running for 5 minutes...

Edit: Just got an achievement for it :(

Dusk Golem

Bout to start this. Indonesian or English voices? I don't remember the English VA from the demo being too bad.

Also wondering if the textures actually look like that or my compy's messing up again

Please tell me I'm not supposed to go down this road. I thought a character would stop me from going too far but I've been running for 5 minutes...

Edit: Just got an achievement for it :(

The Indonesian dub is available now? Interesting! And yes, it's a little small achievement thing, but the road loops after a certain point.

The Indonesian dub is available now? Interesting! And yes, it's a little small achievement thing, but the road loops after a certain point.

Oh wasn't sure I just saw the language option and thought it was voice for some reason lol

Anyway beat it now, sad I forgot this was an episodic release. Got lost for a while, the enemies are more annoying than scary. Cept for the
white haired lady
, cuz fuck that shit.

Dusk Golem

DreadOut was a Fatal Frame-inspired Indonesia indie horror game released earlier this year on Steam. You can find the OT of the first act here. It wasn't quite a looker, but had fantastic atmosphere, sound design, and some fun secrets and encounters, though Act 1 was a bit short.

All people who purchase DreadOut get Act 2 for free, and they've been silent on it, until now, where they've updated the main game and included Chapter 0, the prologue, and updated a few things about the main game to get ready for Act 2's release.

act0.jpg

Hello everyone,

We're happy to announce that DreadOut version 1.9.0 is available now. This new version brings major updates to DreadOut, with some of the biggest highlights being:
DreadOut engine is updated to prepare for our upcoming Act 2 release.
DreadOut Act 0 Prologue (which is also available separately as DreadOut Demo) is now integrated with the main game.
DreadOut Act 0 Prologue / Demo can be seen as an integral part of DreadOut story, so if you guys have not played the Demo yet, you can now revisit Linda's nightmare as a prologue for the Act 1 directly from the main menu.

Release Notes:
-DreadOut 1.9.0 is a new build with a completely new framework.
-Be aware that this new release will be breaking your save game. So, if you're in the middle of playing Act 1, you may prefer to defer the update up until you've finished the game.
-This new version discarded multi-language support for the time being, it will be incorporated again later.
-This new version is asset-optimized for 32-bit system. Many 64-bit users might notice some textures' downgrade, we will resolve this issue with hi-res texture pack for 64-bit system later.
-Updates to our Steam Cloud integration so users will not be required to have a file system friendly name anymore. This eliminates cases where some users were forced to rename their Steam's display name for the sake of playing DreadOut.
-Some minor tweaks to DreadOut shaders and input system.
a new addition of experience setting, for turning on or off clue and ghost vignette, limbo distance, Limbo message etc. so that you guys can play it at your own preferences.

And a number of new screenshots they've released for Act 2:

DreadOut ended up being one of my favorite underlooked horror games of 2014, it looks like Act 2 releases early next year, it may not be a graphically great game but it managed its atmosphere and cryptic design excellently for those who enjoy the sort of cryptic puzzles and camera-based gameplay it provided.

Dusk Golem

DreadOut, the main game, has been fully out since Valentine's Day earlier this year, but since the Indiegogo campaign, the game has been confirmed to have one paid DLC (that is free to all Kickstarter backers, however) for the game. It's just been detailed on the Indiegogo page.

Titled, "DreadOut: Keepers of the Dark."

b318i4r69xark08bucba.jpg

Details in a nutshell:

-Takes place narratively in the game between a scene towards the end of the game where Linda gets pulled through a mirror, and before she awakens in front of the school before the final boss battle. Includes new narrative and cutscenes to fill in a new arch of the game's story.
-Features free-roam exploration and progression, with a variety of tasks to complete and locations you can explore freely. All locations from Act 0, 1 and 2 of the game are in the DLC, as well as all ghost encountered in the main game.
-Also includes two brand new levels that was neither in Act 0, 1, or 2.
-10 new ghosts with newly designed battles, 8 of them helped designed by highest-tier Indiegogo supporters.

Two screenshots, 1 of one of the new areas, one of 1 of the 10 new ghosts:

rpihy9mgouow5hajfolp.jpg

pzuhqt25ew8l1fy5ungm.jpg

Top Bottom