• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast Nightmare: THE BEATLES: ROCK BAND Releasing on 09.09.09

Didn't Sega make a ton of money on Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, as well as on pre-orders on the upcoming Winter version? At least enough that maybe the rumors are true? This can't just be a coincidence.

For us long-time Sega fans, it would be so fucking fitting if Sega announced DC2 the same day Sony announced it was ending the Playstation line, considering that Sony's business practices unjustly torpedoed any chances the DC ever had (and set gaming back years in the process vis-a-vis online play, four controller slots, innovative games and peripherals, etc.).

Jesus, I'm giddy just thinking about the possibility.

ChrisGoldstein said:
:lol :lol :lol

Quoted for extra :lol :lol :lol 's

I hope either Rock Band songs work with this, or this works with Rock Band 2. Either way I'm happy.

A Harmonix developed Beatles game might be the most perfect match ever.

LCfiner

Flynn said:
Ben Fritz has some interesting analysis at The Cut Scene. He thinks the pricing is about, finally, making Rock Band profitable at retail.

this deserves to be on the new page. it's a good point. honestly, I had no idea Rock band was a money loser. i figured the kits were expensive enough on their own to turn a profit.

Flynn

LCfiner said:
this deserves to be on the new page. it's a good point. honestly, I had no idea Rock band was a money loser. i figured the kits were expensive enough on their own to turn a profit.

When history bears out I think that it'll be Red Octane's expertise at making plastic guitars that gave Activision the edge. Harmonix is great at making fun games and superior at choosing music. But the manufacture of complex, expensive plastic instruments? That's got to be tricky.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Flynn said:
Ben Fritz has some interesting analysis at The Cut Scene. He thinks the pricing is about, finally, making Rock Band profitable at retail.
So wait a second. So far Rockband has been sold at a loss, much like the consoles (other than Wii) with the plan of making the money back in software further down the line? That makes the $60 Wii price tag make a lot more sense. It turns the whole GH:WT - RB2 rivalry on its head though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Ugh. Harmonix is losing money on RB2 hardware? Now I feel REALLY bad about getting my band bundle for $100. :/ Does anyone have an address where I can mail the other $90 to? Thanks.

Flynn

poppabk said:
So wait a second. So far Rockband has been sold at a loss, much like the consoles (other than Wii) with the plan of making the money back in software further down the line? That makes the $60 Wii price tag make a lot more sense. It turns the whole GH:WT - RB2 rivalry on its head though.

I don't think Viacom planned on the massive RMA expense for the first batch of mostly faulty Rock Band instruments. I'd bet that's the biggest culprit.

Talamius

Gonna find it really hard to believe that any retailer will stock the $249 bundle in large numbers, considering the forts built out of GH:WT and RB2 bundles at most electronics stores these days.

XiaNaphryz said:
A big giant LOL to all the posters in the thread who are getting AstroLad'd.
dzxc2t.jpg

Archie said:
Ugh. Harmonix is losing money on RB2 hardware? Now I feel REALLY bad about getting my band bundle for $100. :/ Does anyone have an address where I can mail the other $90 to? Thanks.

They made the money back selling me a bundle.

Crateman

I'll just buy the disc. My Xplorer and modded Strat are working perfectly and I expect them to do so for a while. On the other hand, I think my drums won't last that long.

DangerStepp

I'll definitely pick this one up.

As for the instruments...no thanks. My credit card will be the only plastic involved in this purchase.

Flynn

Talamius said:
Gonna find it really hard to believe that any retailer will stock the $249 bundle in large numbers, considering the forts built out of GH:WT and RB2 bundles at most electronics stores these days.

You can bet holiday '09 orders are going to be significantly smaller this year -- even if we're coming out of the recession by then.

DangerStepp

XiaNaphryz said:
A big giant LOL to all the posters in the thread who are getting AstroLad'd.
I've been lost on this new coinage.

Is that a term to describe someone who takes his goober postings seriously?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I'm not a big Beatles fan,
but I am a big Dreamcast fan
, is their any significance of the 9/9/09 relating to the beatles?

Finally I can play a new sonic, blue stinger and Evolution!

9/9/09, FCUK YEAH!!!!!

Come join us as we take Sony's blood to revive the dreamcast making it Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger!

Ridley327

Ermac said:
I'm not a big Beatles fan,
but I am a big Dreamcast fan
, is their any significance of the 9/9/09 relating to the beatles?

Revolution 9 from The White Album repeats the phrase "number 9" over and over again.

komarkaze

Not a big Beatles fan, and haven't had much time to play RB2. I doubt I will be getting Beatles RB until it reaches a big price drop.

gdt

What about the millions of Beatles songs that dont have traditional rock instruments?

I read over the OP and one line says something about the multitude of instruments used by the Beatles...is that what they are referring to?

Edit: For example, I would love to see some kind of piano integration.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
gdt5016 said:
Ew, no. It is HORRIBLE in Rock Band songs that chart it to guitar (i.e. March of the Pigs, Smokin', The Collector)

AstroLad said:
To those still vainly clinging to the notion that a new DC is out of the realm, especially in the face of this news and the points cited by Kobun, I'll note to these newer/more ignorant posters that he is a member of the industry and has access to a lot of insider info that doesn't get published in Qore or in the Killzone 2 thread.

Kobun--if you have the chance, do you think you could ask the heads at Harmonix or Sega about this being a part of a larger marketing campaign for the DC2? I know it's probably too early to reveal publicly if anything is in the works, but maybe you could post some off-the-record quotes?

WTF :lol

I quit for my sarcasm meter has blown to masses :/

8bit

Knows the Score
gdt5016 said:
What about the millions of Beatles songs that dont have traditional rock instruments?

I read over the OP and one line says something about the multitude of instruments used by the Beatles...is that what they are referring to?

Bongs.

BigDug13

Since Guitar Hero is constantly releasing updated games with their updated engine changes, it would be a big mistake for Harmonix to not allow you to import your RB1/RB2/DLC songs into the Beatles game which will most likely have an updated engine. Especially if there are no plans to release any other RB game this year. That would potentially have us playing the next 2 years worth of DLC on the same RB2 game engine.

Flynn said:
When history bears out I think that it'll be Red Octane's expertise at making plastic guitars that gave Activision the edge. Harmonix is great at making fun games and superior at choosing music. But the manufacture of complex, expensive plastic instruments? That's got to be tricky.

Not always.

Rock_band_cover.jpg

Mileena

Banned
Archie said:
I'm fake playing a guitar not an organ.
Yes, but those solos in Smokin' are too amazing so they had to chart them. If only we could get Light My Fire with organ solos charted as guitar. Accurate? NOWAI. Fun? FUCK YES.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
BigDug13 said:
Since Guitar Hero is constantly releasing updated games with their updated engine changes, it would be a big mistake for Harmonix to not allow you to import your RB1/RB2/DLC songs into the Beatles game which will most likely have an updated engine. Especially if there are no plans to release any other RB game this year. That would potentially have us playing the next 2 years worth of DLC on the same RB2 game engine.
Thank god the RB2 engine is essentially perfect, minus not having expanded chart lanes for ION/cymbal kits.

I hate to be the first guy to say this, but sometimes I get the feeling you guys are just kidding about this Dreamcast 2 stuff.

Archie said:
Thank god the RB2 engine is essentially perfect, minus not having expanded chart lanes for ION/cymbal kits.

The engine is OK (I want more speed options, and the ability to get rid of transparency, but whatever). Everything else in Rock Band 2 outside the core gameplay is terribly designed. I'd take a patch for stars in the Quickplay menu over any of this Beatles stuff.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
TheGreatDave said:
The engine is OK (I want more speed options, and the ability to get rid of transparency, but whatever). Everything else in Rock Band 2 outside the core gameplay is terribly designed. I'd take a patch for stars in the Quickplay menu over any of this Beatles stuff.
That's a UI thing which should (but won't be) patched. I'm sure quickplay stars will show up in TB:RB though.

Archie said:
That's a UI thing which should (but won't be) patched. I'm sure quickplay stars will show up in TB:RB though.

We'll see.

And I'm glad everybody can agree on RB1's tracklist, years on from me getting hated on for stating the undeniable truth.

Ridley327

If you're a guitar-only player, sure, but I'm pretty sure that the name Rock Band should have been a dead giveaway that you weren't getting into Lead Guitar. Go find an arcade (lol) or import a copy of Guitar Freaks if you want your guitar-focused game. The cool kids will be jamming out in groups while you fumble around the latest and greatest in J-Butt Rock.

If anyone is on Something Awful, one of the Harmonix employees played an awesome prank with a "track list" that was good for a laugh. A Serj Tankian version of Girl sounds pretty enticing, I must admit.

Top Bottom