• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast Nightmare: THE BEATLES: ROCK BAND Releasing on 09.09.09

Ridley327 said:
If you're a guitar-only player, sure, but I'm pretty sure that the name Rock Band should have been a dead giveaway that you weren't getting into Lead Guitar. Go find an arcade (lol) or import a copy of Guitar Freaks if you want your guitar-focused game. The cool kids will be jamming out in groups while you fumble around the latest and greatest in J-Butt Rock.

If anyone is on Something Awful, one of the Harmonix employees played an awesome prank with a "track list" that was good for a laugh. A Serj Tankian version of Girl sounds pretty enticing, I must admit.

Rock Band 2 has a good tracklist. A lot of shit, but some good stuff to make up for it.

Rock Band 1's tracklist was small in numbers, small in quality. I'm not going to troll Won't Get Fooled Again, but I'm not going to pretend I needed the shit that made up most that game.

Daigoro

Whoo!

i love the Beatles. this game is SO bought. cant wait to see the setlist.

wtf with all of the people talking about the wealth of Beatles songs that arent based on guitar? as if 95% of their songs arent all about the 4 piece band. it isnt hard to imagine what songs wont make the cut in this game and which will.

professor_t said:
I hate to be the first guy to say this, but sometimes I get the feeling you guys are just kidding about this Dreamcast 2 stuff.

the Sony fans are laughing now, but it's the Sega fans will be having the last laugh.

Kevtones

I'm just really, really curious if they're going to have dual-vocals for the game. Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it comprehensive. Or at least have the following:

Something
Dear Prudence
Helter Skelter
Blackbird
Why Don't We Do It In the Road
We Can Work It Out
Paperback Writer
Hey Jude
Can't Buy Me Love
Help!
I Am the Walrus
Strawberry Fields Forever
Eleanor Rigby
She Said She Said
Tomorrow Never Knows
Most, or all of Rubber Soul
A Day In the Life

among others...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Daigoro said:
the Sony fans are laughing now, but it's the Sega fans will be having the last laugh.

Well, they certainly aren't laughing when NPD sales come out month after month, so let them have this.

StuBurns

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
I'm just really, really curious if they're going to have dual-vocals for the game. Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it comprehensive. Or at least have the following:

Something
Dear Prudence
Helter Skelter
Blackbird
Why Don't We Do It In the Road
We Can Work It Out
Paperback Writer
Hey Jude
Can't Buy Me Love
Help!
I Am the Walrus
Strawberry Fields Forever
Eleanor Rigby
She Said She Said
Tomorrow Never Knows
Most, or all of Rubber Soul
A Day In the Life

among others...
No keyboards, songs with two guitars, bass and drums. You can't just include anything. As incredible as the Beatles were, in the later years at least, I think it'd be hard to put together a 45 track song list that would work with rock band.

And they don't have the rights to the Let it Be album.

I'd go somewhere along the lines of this:

I'm a Loser
Baby's in Black
Help!
Ticket to Ride
Daytripper
Drive my Car
Norwegian Wood
Rain
Papperback Writer
Taxman
I'm Only Sleeping
She Said, She Said
Good Day Sunshine
Doctor Robert
Sgt Pepper
Lucy
Getting Better
Good Morning, Good Morning
Only a Northern Song
Sgt Pepper Reprise
I Am the Walrus
Lady Madonna
Hey Bulldog
It's All Too Much
Revolution (Single Version)
Back in the USSR
Glass Onion
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
Birthday
Yer Blues
Everybody's got something to hide except me and my monkey
Helter Skelter
Come Together
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
The End

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Handheld Dreamcast, possibly downloadable games only but games on cards likely as well, on 9/9/09.

An exclusive PSO at launch, which the DC/PSP versions have been released to build awareness for, re-releases of all the unappreciated DC stuff to capitalise on the popularity of handhelds now, hell you'll probably see Shenmue 3 on it as development costs would be far lower and the engine is already done.

Everything with Sega's patents points to it, and the carefully worded denial by SOA saying they had "No plans to return to the console market"

BELIEVE.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
stuburns said:
No keyboards, songs with two guitars, bass and drums. You can't just include anything. As incredible as the Beatles were, in the later years at least, I think it'd be hard to put together a 45 track song list that would work with rock band.

your list doesn't include tomorrow never knows.

StuBurns

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
your list doesn't include tomorrow never knows.
Indeed, because playing C Major for five minutes isn't going to be very fun.

I love the song, but it's not suitable for Rock Band.

Desperado said:

The deal did not include the songs from Let it Be, it's 45 songs published by EMI.

Desperado

stuburns said:
The deal did not include the songs from Let it Be, it's 45 songs published by EMI.
With the Rooftop being one of the venues, that's a big disappointment. Especially since it's their most rock 'n' roll album.

StuBurns

Banned
Desperado said:
With the Rooftop being one of the venues, that's a big disappointment. Especially since it's their most rock 'n' roll album.
Indeed, even though it's far from the last time they played together, I think I'd have had it end with playing at least some of the Let it Be set on the roof.

It's just the Apple offices though, so they could certainly have us play there.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
stuburns said:
Indeed, because playing C Major for five minutes isn't going to be very fun.

I love the song, but it's not suitable for Rock Band.

it's not suitable for guitar hero, but it's probably got the freshest drum beat of any beatles song and it'd be excellent to sing.

StuBurns

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
it's not suitable for guitar hero, but it's probably got the freshest drum beat of any beatles song and it'd be excellent to sing.
Rock Band is two guitars, bass and drums. Tomorrow Never Knows has one guitar, playing the same thing throughout, reversed. And the drums are played at a far slower speed than they were recorded.

It would be a terrible Rock Band track.

Flynn

Stumpokapow said:

Yeah, that's something a lot of music game players forget. Not every song is a whee fun roller coaster for every musician. Sometimes you just gotta hold it down.

StuBurns

Banned
Flynn said:
Yeah, that's something a lot of music game players forget. Not every song is a whee fun roller coaster for every musician. Sometimes you just gotta hold it down.
Indeed, but there has to be at least enough instruments in the song for members in the band. Tomorrow Never Knows does not have that. It's got one guitar, an organ, a sitar, drums and a ton of tape loops. And none of them play back anything like they were recorded.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Archie said:
Thank god the RB2 engine is essentially perfect, minus not having expanded chart lanes for ION/cymbal kits.

all they need is to use the HOPO highlights for the drum lanes where a note is a cymbal and you're done. Could be done in a patch. The charts include cymbal sounds, so they know which is which, and RB2 drums send separate signals for drums/cymbals so the game can differentiate.

No excuse IMO.

It'd be nice for Europe to actually get RB2 drums at some point, BTW.......

Flynn said:

But that can be avoided with fake playing. I'm not opposed to some simple songs but we don't want something like Eleanor Rigby either.

Ricker

I highly doubt that there will be songs like "Eleanor Rigby" and "We can work it out",heck even "I Am the Walrus"on this...great songs but the guitars are buried underneath all the orchestral mixes in those songs and do not fit the Rock Band party mood at all...plenty of other songs to choose from.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
stuburns said:
Indeed, but there has to be at least enough instruments in the song for members in the band. Tomorrow Never Knows does not have that. It's got one guitar, an organ, a sitar, drums and a ton of tape loops. And none of them play back anything like they were recorded.

Maps & master exploder both had no bass parts.

StuBurns

Banned
Sp3eD said:
Maps & master exploder both had no bass parts.
Well, there is no way Apple are going to let them add bass or guitar parts to Beatles tracks. It'd never happen.

They either have to all have bass parts, and 99% of Beatles songs do. Or they won't include it.

People thinking Tomorrow Never Knows would work can't have ever listened to it, or played Rock Band.

Archie said:
Why do you want other bands in a game titled THE BEATLES?
I don't, I just want more than 45 songs. I'd rather non-beatles added in than less songs. This is less than half the songs as rock band 2 for more money. I'm not buying it.

StuBurns

Banned
God's Beard said:
I don't, I just want more than 45 songs. I'd rather non-beatles added in than less songs. This is less than half the songs as rock band 2 for more money. I'm not buying it.
We don't know there won't be other songs, we just know the contract with Apple is for 45 Beatles songs published by EMI. There could be 45 songs other than those, we don't really know yet.

For me personally, I couldn't imagine not buying this game.

Fuck Wings.

Ricker

Yeah, GH Aerosmith has other band songs so who knows...maybe have Beatles songs that other bands did covers to would be an idea ;)

StuBurns

Banned
Linkified said:
Can anyone explain to me why Apple Corp only has access to the emi songs.
Who said they do?

The contract with Apple is for 45 songs published by EMI. Apple own the mechanical rights to all the Beatles material.

Ricker said:
Yeah, GH Aerosmith has other band songs so who knows...maybe have Beatles songs that other bands did covers to would be an idea ;)

This is different though. Given how much money it probably cost just to get The Beatles I can't see them throwing other bands in. It's not like the AC/DC disc had extra value added to it. Or ANY value for that matter.

So I'm assuming if it works with RB instruments that the Wii version will work with GHWT instruments, as RB2 did.

Hopefully that's the case.

Perdew

TheGreatDave said:
This is different though. Given how much money it probably cost just to get The Beatles I can't see them throwing other bands in. It's not like the AC/DC disc had extra value added to it. Or ANY value for that matter.

True!

45 song pack for $60 ehhhhhh.... I'll stick to Cannon Spike and Sports Jam on launch.

April 1st is going to hurt this year with the 9/9/09 Dreamcast 2 jokes.

I like Rock Band and I like the Beatles, therefor this game will probably be bought.

Top Bottom