• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

CozMick

Banned
So far, new tracks are usable in single event for free as soon as the game is patched.

Awesome, thanks.

*presses options on Driveclub tile*
*check for update*
*check for update*
*check for update*
*check for update*

*check for update*
*check for update*
*check for update*
*check for update*

Ted

Hi folks, I finally got myself a copy of Driveclub and I have a really quick question...

I had to download it at work as I have no reliable internet at home at the moment. I managed to do the introduction series and create and invite a friend to a club yesterday with my PS4 tethered to my phone (a pretty poor connection in itself) but now I'm wondering if I play Driveclub (SP tour only) in the same way will I see any issues (with all the live in race face off stuff, leaderboard updates and club point updates)?

Maybe it's better to simply play totally unconnected and just deal with losing the club points?

EDIT - I should add, I tried it like this briefly last night but it was super late so I didn't have much time or patience. The thing I noticed was my notifications had a number next presumably indicating I had something to read/interact with to it but when I went to the relevent tab thing there was just an endlessly spinning circle. I didn't know if this was just a relic of the games hitorical network issues or was reflective of my own poor connection. I didn't go further into the game as a result for fearing of breaking anything (coupled with a growing desire to sleep!).

Thanks in advance.

xrnzaaas

Not happy about the 650C... it looks like 12C except they gave it P1's front. So it feels like another cheap way to add a new car, exactly like they did with the electric SLS.

225/225. Now to move onto the DLC tour packs. :D I love this game.

And I gotta say, I love the Venom GT. It's a handful, but man, when you learn to tame that power, you can absolutely blitz the competition. What a beast of a car.

-----------------

Also, seeing as there are 13 more tour packs to be released after the Japan DLC..what do you guys think the odds are of at least one of those packs being city-based? It's gotta be pretty high, right?

Right? :(

psychotron

I have a huge backlog of games right now that I keep chipping away at, but DriveClub keeps pulling me back in! I play some Alien, quit and play DriveClub. I play a bit of Call of Duty: AW (which stutters and drives me crazy), then I feel the urge to race more!!! My wife even starts humming "How fast do you wanna go?!!" randomly....which sounds dirty, lol.

This game!!

Rushy

@Rushy

I bought a new controller because the left trigger on my old one broke, and I can now use the touch-pad in-game without issue. Photo-mode is glorious!

(It has 112 on the back of the controller, btw. My old controller had 111)
Thanks for the information, that's extremely useful!

Shaneus

Rushy, tell your graphic designers they are extremely talented. Love the logo design and typography your team puts out.
I have a feeling it might be the same guy who was behind a lot of the PGR stuff:
VB6mQB1.jpg

Vl1YUq4.jpg

cwIp44X.jpg

PV6oSJn.jpg

0ePEOUr.jpg

sam777

Thanks, will study this.

I'm trying to figure it out myself I can get 3 stars with alot of tries on some of the maps. What I can gather is dont use the in car or any of the views except for the behind car views, its really difficult otherwise. Release the accelerator before the corner then tap the handbrakes before turning or as turning then use the throttle and brakes and steering to try and control/sustain the drift as long as you can..

Thanks. Yeah I am going to start using another view as I normally use cockpit/First erson for all racing games.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Certainly not a complaint but geez it feels like all this extra content is coming thick and fast. Still haven't 100% the last three packs yet! (and only 1 trophy away from Platinum for the vanilla game).

Auctopus

I understand that the cars are hard to build from scratch but I think I'd rather have less additional cars that were all a little different then reskins of cars we already have.

kyser73

@Rushy - I know this will probably be difficult to implement, but have you guys considered a 'relay' style of race on P2P tracks?

I.e. - two teams, one at either end of the track, first to get back to the start wins.

You could ghost the oncoming cars to avoid pile-ups after changeover.

It would probably require some kind of private lobby system in place to work properly too.

viveks86

@T_Exige, you aren't drifting clean. Spinning out and backtracking is cheesing the game and doesn't promote fair play. Backtracking will be prohibited in the next update anyway. Just a heads up

Shaneus

@T_Exige, you aren't drifting clean. Spinning out and backtracking is cheesing the game and doesn't promote fair play. Backtracking will be prohibited in the next update anyway. Just a heads up
Yeah, it was never going to be a thing that would last, and it's likely (hopefully) any top scores that use the technique will be wiped. Best to learn how to doorifto properly before that update hits!

leng jai

Have Evo said anything about further tweaking the sound mix? Bit of a joke they went out of their way to fix the weather audio and you can still barely hear it.

nib95

Banned
Have Evo said anything about further tweaking the sound mix? Bit of a joke they went out of their way to fix the weather audio and you can still barely hear it.

That's probably more to do with your sound system and set up. For example, when I use my headphones straight out of the controller, a lot of tertiary and background pitter patter is actually completely missing, compared to when I have it connected to my amp/DAC. On top of that, if you're using a proper speaker system, try winding down on the bass a bit. I've found that excess bass has a habit of drowning out other audio detailing.

viveks86

That's probably more to do with your sound system and set up. For example, when I use my headphones straight out of the controller, a lot of tertiary and background pitter patter is actually completely missing, compared to when I have it connected to my amp/DAC. On top of that, if you're using a proper speaker system, try winding down on the bass a bit. I've found that excess bass has a habit of drowning out other audio detailing.

They could still adjust sound a bit though. One would expect heavy rain to hit the roof pretty hard while stationary at least. Thunder is quite feeble too.

nib95

Banned
They could still adjust sound a bit though. One would expect heavy rain to hit the roof pretty hard while stationary at least. Thunder is quite feeble too.

Well, I'm using what some may deem as very revealing (reference grade) headphones, so I can't say I suffer that problem lol. Rain and thunder are both pretty loud using my T1's and K551's.

Well, I'm using what some may deem as very revealing (reference grade) headphones, so I can't say I suffer that problem lol. Rain and thunder are both pretty loud using my T1's and K551's.

Does the view your using make a difference? I use bumper cam and I was just thinking earlier how loud the rain was on the (admittedly quiet) car.

leng jai

I use two separate setups and the result is largely the same. One is a pair of B&W CM5s and a Velodyne subwoofer and the other is a pair of Beyer T1 headphones driven by a tube amp. Even with that headphone setup you can barely hear raindrops or the wipers. It's like the overall weather audio is at 2 and everything else is at 10. If you're in cockpit view in heavy rain the drops hitting the windshield should be pretty loud as opposed to now where you have to strain to hear it. Even driving low powered cars with quieter engines doesn't really matter - the audio levels are just way too low.

nib95

Banned
Does the view your using make a difference? I use bumper cam and I was just thinking earlier how loud the rain was on the (admittedly quiet) car.

I use two separate setups and the result is largely the same. One is a pair of B&W CM5s and a Velodyne subwoofer and the other is a pair of Beyer T1 headphones driven by a tube amp. Even with that headphone setup you can barely hear raindrops or the wipers. It's like the overall weather audio is at 2 and everything else is at 10. If you're in cockpit view in heavy rain the drops hitting the windshield should be pretty loud as opposed to now where you have to strain to hear it. Even driving low powered cars with quieter engines doesn't really matter - the audio levels are just way too low.

I'll give it a little testing session now and report back. Last time I tested (just after the patch), I thought weather was much clearer, but maybe the view does make a bigger difference.

P.S on a separate subject, what tube amp? Woo Audio? I know it might sound blasphemous, but if you can, give the JDS Labs Objective2 amp a go. I used to own both a Violectric V200 and Woo Audio WA2 before selling off both and settling with the far cheaper O2. You lose a tiny bit of the warmth, but otherwise it's absolutely comparable, perhaps even a tiny bit more revealing. But we're talking minuscule differences.

The Japan tracks look amazing. *drool*

I hope the inevitable DriveClub sequel includes all of the original tracks (Canada, Chile, India, Japan, Scotland, Norway) and adds six new countries.

nib95

Banned
On a side note, for anyone who does use headphones out of the DS4 headphone jack, and wants to improve their sound quality a bit, I recommend the following two.

If you're on a budget and don't mind the lack of hardware volume control (just use the in-game volume sliders), then this little beauty does a fantastic job.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009346RSS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you have a bit more of a budget, and want an all in one solution that offers top end premium reference quality at lower end pricing, this is the one to get. Honestly, I've compared it to products 5-10x it's price and found it competes just fine. There are many other vendors that sell this model, so you might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere too.

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
@Rushy - I know this will probably be difficult to implement, but have you guys considered a 'relay' style of race on P2P tracks?

I.e. - two teams, one at either end of the track, first to get back to the start wins.

You could ghost the oncoming cars to avoid pile-ups after changeover.

It would probably require some kind of private lobby system in place to work properly too.

We used to do similar in PGR2 on Nurburgring. At the start we turned around and raced backwards to complete an entire lap and handbrake across the Start/Finish line (you had to cross the line or the forwards lap wouldn't register) then complete another lap but the correct way. It was awesome and your plan gets Two Thumbs Up!

benzy

Yeah, I hope they at least give us seperate adjustable volume options between the environmental sound effects (rain, thunder, etc.) and the engine sounds. Right now they're both lumped together and there's no way to make the rain sounds louder so they just end up getting overpowered by the engine sounds.

Would love to hear this when driving a non-electric car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-w5_LGeK28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1hieOOq5NY

nib95

Banned
Ok so gave it a quick little test using my headphones (amped). Brief findings using the McLaren 12C.

Chase cam.

- Surrounding rain patter audible at neutral, low speed and full acceleration.

- Thunder audible at neutral, low speed and full acceleration.

- Wipers barely audible neutral, un-audible at even the slightest throttle.

Cockpit view.

- Surrounding rain patter audible at neutral, less audible at low speeds, and un-audible at full acceleration.

- Thunder audible at neutral and low speeds, less audible to barely audible at full acceleration.

- Wipers audible in neutral, barely audible at low speeds, and un-audible at full acceleration.

Is this about the same as what you guys are finding?

Edit: I should add that there seems to be ever so slightly more emphasis on surrounding sounds using my AKG 551's compared to my T1's, but most of the results noted above are more so using the T1's.

viveks86

Ok so gave it a quick little test using my headphones (amped). Brief findings using the McLaren 12C.

Chase cam.

- Surrounding rain patter audible at neutral, low speed and full acceleration.

- Thunder audible at neutral, low speed and full acceleration.

- Wipers barely audible neutral, un-audible at even the slightest throttle.

Cockpit view.

- Surrounding rain patter audible at neutral, less audible at low speeds, and un-audible at full acceleration.

- Thunder audible at neutral and low speeds, less audible to barely audible at full acceleration.

- Wipers audible in neutral, barely audible at low speeds, and un-audible at full acceleration.

Is this about the same as what you guys are finding?

Edit: I should add that there seems to be ever so slightly more emphasis on surrounding sounds using my AKG 551's compared to my T1's, but most of the results noted above are more so using the T1's.

Sounds about right. And I play cockpit view, so I barely hear anything other than the engine while driving. Really need to concentrate to hear it, which shouldn't be the case for heavy rain

Have people checked the GAF Drive club League and Event thread recently? We need to start a campaign on twitter or something to get private matches in.

MMaRsu

Banned
Sounds about right. And I play cockpit view, so I barely hear anything other than the engine while driving. Really need to concentrate to hear it, which shouldn't be the case for heavy rain

The windshield wipers also move a tad too slow in heavy rain aka you see them too much.

nib95

Banned
This entire final Elements championship is driving me mad. First two tracks being among my most disliked tracks in the game (touch of a barrier or mud in crowded situations sends you back several places), made worse by the weather conditions, and then the last track which by the second lap has you literally racing blind, as in unable to see anything. It's annoying that the chase cam is really the only somewhat forgiving view in the most extreme of scenarios, because that's the view I dislike using the most (because of the lack of realism and immersion).

Oh well, a few more tries should do it I guess.

viveks86

This entire final Elements championship is driving me mad. First two tracks being among my most disliked tracks in the game (touch of a barrier or mud in crowded situations sends you back several places), made worse by the weather conditions, and then the last track which by the second lap has you literally racing blind, as in unable to see anything. It's annoying that the chase cam is really the only somewhat forgiving view in the most extreme of scenarios, because that's the view I dislike using the most. Oh well, a few more tries should do it I guess.

The barrier issue should be addressed tomorrow. But I loved that event for the exact same reason that is driving you mad. Racing blind in cockpit view was a whole different experience. So intense! I found the event far easier than many other races though, surprisingly. The AI was pretty slow on those tracks, especially the last one. Felt like I was cheating with the zonda. I'm sure you'll get a hang of it soon enough, given you are way better at racing than I am

nib95

Banned
Managed to do the final race on the 3rd or 4th restart in chase cam. I feel like I cheated lol. I'm going to do it again later in cockpit view. Now that I've got all the stars, I'm just going to concentrate on racing normally instead of staying in first position for 2 minutes or whatever it was the gold star required you to do.

The barrier issue should be addressed tomorrow. But I loved that event for the exact same reason that is driving you mad. Racing blind in cockpit view was a whole different experience. So intense! I found the event far easier than many other races though, surprisingly. The AI was pretty slow on those tracks, especially the last one. Felt like I was cheating with the zonda. I'm sure you'll get a hang of it soon enough, given you are way better at racing than I am

Whoops, missed your post. But yea, did it shortly after that post. I think my issue is that if I don't hold first position from very early on in a race till the very end, subconsciously I feel like I haven't done well enough or that I should restart, but in reality you can get back lost positions pretty easily.

Top Bottom