• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drought 2011 Thread: Pray Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Sometime around April, Texas Governor Rick Perry came up with an ingenious idea to help relieve the state of months of pitiful-to-nonexistent rainfall. He suggested Texans pray for it.

Four months later:

xvzi8.png

Now, Texas isn't necessarily known for receiving copius amounts of rain - particularly in the arid western half of the state where droughts are more often the rule than the exception - but this is frustratingly ridiculous. I live in the perpetually humid asscrack that is the coastal Southeast portion of the state and we haven't seen significant rain of more than half an inch at a time since October.

October 2010.

Every day is the same. Wake up to temps that barely cool below 80 anymore even after 12 hours of darkness and by 9 am there's not a cloud in the sky and the sun is roasting our parched hardpan well on its way past 100 degrees. There's so much moisture in the air you can sweat buckets by doing nothing under the shade of a tree and yet not a drop of it condenses and falls from the clouds that aren't even there anyway.

It's been like this for so long that water is being leeched from everything: the ground, the trees, buildings, and other things you didn't even know held moisture until they crack and burst in the heat of the day. Our lakes our drying up and sprouting grassy sandbars. Time.com summed up the situation here nicely:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2087489,00.html

The nine months from October 2010 through June of this year were the driest nine months on the books since the state began keeping records in 1895, according to the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA), which oversees Central Texas' vast system of lakes, dams and rivers that produces water and power for urban and rural customers alike. The Austin area is 16 in. below normal for rainfall, according to LCRA, while counties to the east of the Texas capital have a 20-in. deficit.

The Highland Lakes were built in the 1930s and '40s, damming up sections of the Colorado River to help provide water and control flooding. This year the lakes are shrinking as the water retreats. Increased water use by a growing population and evaporation — no rain leads to warmer temperatures — means the lakes will continue to fall 1 ft. a week until October, LCRA predicts, stranding boat docks and revealing once flooded landmarks. In East Texas, the retreating waters of Lake Nacogdoches exposed debris from the 2003 crash of the space shuttle Columbia.

The reason for this drought? High pressure. Persistent high pressure that has dominated the region's weather pattern now for longer than anything I can remember in my 25 years in this state. We were actually giddy when Tropical Storm Don turned up in the Gulf of Mexico and seemed to consider setting its sights on the upper Texas coast, knowing full well the Gulf was warm and vast enough to feed a category five hurricane. We looked with envy toward Corpus Christi, the seeminly go-to place of landfall for every minor storm that the eastern Gulf plays host to. We should have known better though, no amount of precipitation lasts long under an umbrella of hot dry air as frustratingly resilient as this one.

I know we're not the only state suffering under these conditions, so for those living through the drought of 2011, how's your neck of the woods holding up?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
It's also a record breaking year in heat. Even the tougher native trees that are green all year are turning brown.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
DOO13ER said:
Sometime around April, Texas Governor Rick Perry came up with an ingenious idea to help relieve the state of months of pitiful-to-nonexistent rainfall. He suggested Texans pray for it.

His prayer for the economy resulted in the country going into deeper shit, nobody pray anymore

And yes its fucking hot, everyday is 100+ degrees here

trinest

I remember when it was drought in Australia- good times.

(not really, I remember that they where going to try and look for ways like brining water to the city through trains and shit like that)

2-Terms of Kombat
Zoe said:
It's gonna take years.

I just hope we see a major weather pattern change for the better come fall. The cooler weather will be nice regardless but won't really help our situation any if it's still dry as fuck. Once leaves start falling the whole state turns into tinder.

Zoe

DOO13ER said:
I just hope we see a major weather pattern change for the better come fall. The cooler weather will be nice regardless but won't really help our situation any if it's still dry as fuck. Once leaves start falling the whole state turns into tinder.

Don't even need to wait for that. It's like there's a new brush fire starting every other day.

teh_pwn

water_wendi said:
Drought is one of the scariest things to me. You think people go crazy when hungry. Wait until they are thirsty.

No problem. Austin is the home of Brawndo, the thirst mutilator.

Piecake

Man, thats sounds miserable. I know a lot of people don't want to live in Minnesota because of the cold winters, but I would take that every time over 120 humid heat with no rain. That just sounds absolutely miserable.

Xdrive05

santouras said:
good thing climate change is just a bunk theory
Be careful. One data point is not necessarily evidence for climate change. That's the same argument you may hear from someone denying climate change when it snows in late Spring.

Best wishes to Texas in all this. Here's hoping they work more and pray less.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Xdrive05 said:
Be careful. One data point is not necessarily evidence for climate change. That's the same argument you may hear from someone denying climate change when it snows in late Spring.

Best wishes to Texas in all this. Here's hoping they work more and pray less.

What? We cant fix this.

I don't even know if the Austin power grids are going to hold up once school starts. Just the talk about rolling blackouts makes me sweat

Xdrive05

Marius_ said:
What? We cant fix this.

I don't even know if the Austin power grids are going to hold up once school starts. Just the talk about rolling blackouts makes me sweat
Understood. I was going for working as opposed to praying. Perry is passing the buck to God, so to speak.

Too bad we can't try the tugboat iceburg relocation theory about which there was another thread earlier today ...

teh_pwn

Marius_ said:
What? We cant fix this.

When does school start? The highs are now 104 from 106. Hopefully it'll be down in the 90s late this month.

And this seems to happen all the damn time. Austin Energy needs to build a fission plant and a field of solar panels.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
teh_pwn said:
When does school start? The highs are now 104 from 106. Hopefully it'll be down in the 90s late this month.

And this seems to happen all the damn time. Austin Energy needs to build a fission plant and a field of solar panels.

Well college starts in 2 weeks, I dont know about the public schools. But there will be a lot of people coming back to their apartments and turning on their ACs. God help us all

teh_pwn

Marius_ said:
Well college starts in 2 weeks, I dont know about the public schools. But there will be a lot of people coming back to their apartments and turning on their ACs. God help us all

Ouch, forgot about 1/6 of the city being college kids. Yeah this might be rough...ugh I'm going to get home with my apartment 90 degrees and not be below 75 until 5 AM.

Leunam

Fortunately, the neighborhood I live in is heavily wooded, so there is quite a bit of shade here for the house and our cars.

Tapiozona

Banned
santouras said:
good thing climate change is just a bunk theory

Has nothing to do with it. It's just one example and it's rather silly to conclude there's climate change based off drought in one portion of the world.

You realize there were thousands upon thousands of droughts in every corner for the globe throughout history long before 'global warming'

I think there was a heat advisory for SA where the Heat Index was supposed to be at 118. Christ, I hate this state. I wouldn't mind the heat, if it wasn't so damned humid outside.

pirata

Yeah, things are getting kind of scary here in Austin. If things don't change sometime in the next few months, I don't know what will happen. We need to organize some sort of massive pagan rain-dance in Zilker Park, just to spite Rick Perry.

pirata said:
Yeah, things are getting kind of scary here in Austin. If things don't change sometime in the next few months, I don't know what will happen. We need to organize some sort of massive pagan rain-dance in Zilker Park, just to spite Rick Perry.
Sounds sexy. Especially the Rick Perry part.

teh_pwn

pirata said:

And despite the water reserves getting low, the water getting warm, there are still people watering their lawns. And it's so obvious who is doing it. Is there not a water ban?

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
MidnightScott said:
I'm use to getting rain all the time in Houston during the summer. This is the worst it has ever been.

First the below freezing temperatues in February and now this. It's been pretty weird weather wise.

Deadbeat

Banned
If you need rain you should drive out to New Mexico and go talk to Logan. He can go see Trueblood and talk to the rain gods.

2-Terms of Kombat
I took a trip to Austin/New Braunfels this weekend and the ride was just depressing. Everything in the hill country is dead and brown, all the little ponds and watering holes are mud at best. The Comal River is still icy as ever but a good two to three feet lower than usual, we had to be careful while tubing down it not to scrape our asses on the rocky riverbed in some parts.

Leunam

Well the weather app on my phone says rain for today until Friday.

However, it is known to be very unreliable.

HylianTom

Banned
The weather here is definitely on my list of reasons why I'm leaving. God, how I miss rain.
That's and it's somewhat worrisome.. what if this is part of a long-term trend? Since I arrived in Austin in 2001, it seems to be desertifying pretty well, and I wonder how very bad the water issue will get if this doesn't change.

cajunator

Banned
We have "extreme drought" apparently here in Louisiana, although it is raining every other day pretty hard. Maybe that is keeping us from being labelled "exceptional drought".
It has been pretty dry lately but I guess that is coming to an end.
Whatever. I could just go take a dip in Henderson swamp but maybe I'd just get amoebas.

I live in southern Oklahoma, it has been really bad. We are having a ton of foundation problems, house has so many damn cracks in the walls and ceilings, doors wont close right. I've never been so sick of a season as much as I have been of this summer. Fucking terrible.

Jhriad

Past two months we've seen .1 inches of precipitation where I'm at in Texas. The average for that time period is 4.55 inches. That plus 100+ degrees every day for 6 weeks is killing me.

cajunator

Banned
I swear this sort of thing happens every year though. Every year there is "exceptional droughT" but it is just hot as fuck every year so people don't think much of it.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
cajunator said:
I swear this sort of thing happens every year though. Every year there is "exceptional droughT" but it is just hot as fuck every year so people don't think much of it.
No, well maybe not here. I haven't experience anything like this since I been living here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom