• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales reboot coming 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the hell does everyone immediately assume it will be Flash or CGI? Here's the last 10 Disney cartoons:

Phineas & Ferb - Traditional
Fish Hooks - Traditional
Motorcity - Traditional, Flash/ToonBoom, and CGI
Gravity Falls - Traditional
TRON: Uprising - Traditional and CGI
Wander over Yonder - Traditional
Star VS the Forces of Evil - Traditional

Even the Mickey Mouse shorts are traditionally animated, although the software they use and the style in which it's animated makes people think of typical "Flash" garbage.

There's like... nothing to suggest that it'll be CGI. They'll probably use ToonBoom or whatever program they use to do Gravity Falls/Wander/Star but I'd be SHOCKED if it wasn't traditional/2D.

Why the hell does everyone immediately assume it will be Flash or CGI? Here's the last 10 Disney cartoons:

Phineas & Ferb - Traditional
Fish Hooks - Traditional
Motorcity - Traditional, Flash/ToonBoom, and CGI
Gravity Falls - Traditional
TRON: Uprising - Traditional and CGI
Wander over Yonder - Traditional
Star VS the Forces of Evil - Traditional

Even the Mickey Mouse shorts are traditionally animated, although the software they use and the style in which it's animated makes people think of typical "Flash" garbage.

There's like... nothing to suggest that it'll be CGI. They'll probably use ToonBoom or whatever program they use to do Gravity Falls/Wander/Star but I'd be SHOCKED if it wasn't traditional/2D.

What would seal the deal for me is if they went back to the original art style of the 80s cartoon. Make it like the show was never off the air. Of course we all know that's not gonna happen.

PixelPeZ

From Don Rosas FB Page:

Dear Rosa fans, in light of the Disney Channel's announcement that they're gonna do "new DuckTales" episodes for a 2017 release over at their Disney XD branch, please let me assure you that Don is in no way affiliated or involved with this, and he wouldn't even be interested in being. So it's no use speculating about that. wink emoticon We got no details about Disney's plans, and IF they actually do end up using material from Don's stories for this series (which they can since it's all their property anyway), it will definitely be without Don's active involvement and most likely without him even knowing it before such an episode airs. So no, Don will NOT write for the show, and he also won't be a "consultant" on it or anything. That's nothing he'd be interested in doing, apart from the fact that they probably wouldn't even ask him to come on board in the first place.
Apart from that, please let me remind you that it's NOT true that "Don hates DuckTales" or anything like that you might have read somewhere on the internet. He actually thinks it's one of the best animated shows ever and enjoys it quite a lot. He just believes it's not an accurate representation of the Duckburg universe from the comics (with grumpy old miser Scrooge suddenly living in a luxery mansion, for instance, and becoming a charming old grampa type of character), but that doesn't make it a less enjoyable series.
We'll see how those "new episodes" turn out. I think it's safe to say they won't have the same feeling as the original cel-animated version, but will probably rather be along the lines of that computer-colored style of Disney's later tv shows (like "Mickey Mouse Works" or "House of Mouse") or even done in full CGI, who knows. This project might turn out great... and if not, there are still more than 100 episodes of the original series to rewatch. wink emoticon
-- Jano

Too bad, I've also been getting the new Barks and Rosa collections and thinking about how well they would work on screen. Though that would mean no Pebby or Launchpad or the rest of the side cast they (I think needlessly) came up.

UberTag

I just hope this turns out good, and not wretchedly awful like Goof Troop. Remember Goofy and his jackass nephew Max? UGH I hope they don't try to give the 3 ducks kids a 'tude like Max

gooftroop.jpg
Ignorance IS bliss, you Quack Pack virgin you.
That is factually correct. Quack Pack was far far worse than Goof Troop.
And the theatrical Goofy movies were actually pretty damn good.

Incidentally, both Goof Troop and Quack Pack have both been used as alliance/faction names in recent seasons of Big Brother.

But jesus christ, 1987, people who were BORN when the first DuckTales came out will be 30 by then. I fear for the ones who were alive and intelligent by the time it first started airing. Don't get alzheimers.
The Simpsons have been around since 1987. There's a new episode airing this Sunday.

UberTag

Always blows my mind. My favourite show ever. Easily. And there are more episodes I haven't seen, and don't care to see, than those I have. :(
I occasionally share recommendations of the recent episodes worth seeing in the official thread. Saves you from sifting through the vast majority that are garbage.

Tagg9

I still can't believe this is happening. Hopefully we get some artwork or something at the upfronts in May.

From Don Rosas FB Page:

Too bad, I've also been getting the new Barks and Rosa collections and thinking about how well they would work on screen. Though that would mean no Pebby or Launchpad or the rest of the side cast they (I think needlessly) came up.

That's a shame, though it's good that there's nothing stopping them from adapting his stories. Concerning the inclusion of the DuckTales original characters, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to add them in to stories, like they already did in the original series, but it would take a lot of work to make them not feel out of place.

Richie

June Foray is ageless and timeless.

June Foray is a legend, I'll agree. I can understand, from the executives' POV, why they wouldn't call her back (even if Scrooge appeared in the new Mickey shorts, voiced by Alan Young and all), but maaaan, as Launchpad's VA puts it, putting the band back together would have been awesome.

RPGCrazied

Eh, I bet it doesn't last very long. I really loved the old show, so I don't know how to feel about this. And new voices means it won't sound the same. Ah well.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I loved this cartoon so much, but can't remember a single detail on a single episode.

It's a duck-blur.

I'm calling it now; The theme song will be a disappointment compared to the original.

They're fools if they change it at all.

agenttoff

Neo Member
Loved the show as a kid! I'm not going to expect much from this though. I can see it lacking the charm of the original.

As long as they stay true to The Disney Way of replacing a voice actor with someone who sounds exactly like them, I'm fine with this. But if they actually change Scrooge's voice, ie how he talks and sounds, they can go fuck themselves.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Man... 2017 is so far away though... Wish they waited to announce it. >_<

Link

The Autumn Wind
As long as they stay true to The Disney Way of replacing a voice actor with someone who sounds exactly like them, I'm fine with this. But if they actually change Scrooge's voice, ie how he talks and sounds, they can go fuck themselves.
Definitely this.

Ah, man... I was looking forward to the old voices especially after Ducktales: Remastered. But I understand the reasonings behind the decision and I am still looking forward to the project.

Isn't the guy who voiced Scrooge 95 years old?

He at least did Scrooge's voice in Ducktales remastered. But yeah, he sounded kind of tired, but Terry McGovern, Chuck McCann, Frank Welker and Russi Taylor all sounded great and are all still active, they should be more than up for it. Only main cast member who is no longer alive is Hal Smith (Gyro and Glomgold, he's most famous for Pooh's alternate VA and for playing Otis the town drunk on the Andy Griffith Show).

That episode with the alternate timeline and Negaduck was off the hook.

That's Darkwing Duck.

It was bad enough none of the original VAs are returning but Disney podcaster Jim Hill is claiming that he's been told it will also be CGI. Oh and his sources say they also are exploring rebooting Darkwing Duck and Kim Possible....in CGI. I have absolutely zero interest in this now.

http://www.rotoscopers.com/2015/08/...g-duck-and-kim-possible-reboots-could-follow/

OH SHIT! Darkwing Duck!?

Playsage

Whoa... That's quite the surprise! Diggin' the style, but not totally sold on Donald design.

Damn, now the song will stuck in my head for the while week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom