• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever DEMO thread - Instructions and impressions here

GrayFoxPL said:
What's this?

Guy torrents duke or some shit that it runs on halo engine?

its more for this quote though

By: GeorgeB3DR x
I can see most shooters getting raped for a 2 gun limit though. What if Doom 3 did that? Or DNF, or Unreal 2? I just wonder if we could get away with that.

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
so does the demo ever come out to those who didn't pre pay it??

This is what I'm wondering about. I really hope so, no way I'm buying this one sight unseen. If I was on ps3 I'd totally get down on that account that got passed around, but alas I am on pc.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
GrayFoxPL said:
What's this?

Guy torrents duke or some shit that it runs on halo engine?
This:
d2d6dbb7a16ac426a62eace39564324dd6ca6d17.jpg

Chiggs said:
One of many remarkably stupid posts made on Shacknews by Broussard.

Being fair it seemed he was just wondering (since the post was made in 2003) and could have tried to do "many weapons" but failed (like he said in that 2010 post)

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I can't find the original post to quote, but here's my idea for the OT title:

LttP: Duke Nukem Forever |OT|

Or some variation of it if the title must go after |OT|.

Teknoman said:
What?

Just assign it to one of the should triggers or d-pad and scroll left or right with them. Its not that hard to think of a comfortable design for controllers. Hell even the Doom, Duke and Quake 64 ports were fine in that aspect. Turok 1 & 2, Timesplitters series (if I remember correctly).

How did Serious Sam do this on consoles?

Counting the d-pad and analog triggers on PS3 & 360 controllers, you've got 14 buttons to assign commands to.
I don't remember exactly but it was mapped to the D pad, worked pretty well I suppose. Not great.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Half Life 2 just assigned all like guns to a direction on the d-pad. Handguns were all Up, Rifles were all Right, etc. You just scrolled through them. It wasn't ideal. They should just use the weapon wheel like in Resistance.

renitou

alr1ghtstart said:
Half Life 2 just assigned all like guns to a direction on the d-pad. Handguns were all Up, Rifles were all Right, etc. You just scrolled through them. It wasn't ideal. They should just use the weapon wheel like in Resistance.
Preferred Half-Life's method. A bit slower, but I hate trying to navigate a wheel. Diagonals. Blah.

Xater

jgminto said:
All they needed to do is:
Hold Y/Triangle to open menu
Tap Y/Triangle to change to previous weapon

No! It's impossible! The geniuses at 3D Realms were not able to find solution!

NBtoaster

alr1ghtstart said:

I liked it. It was fast and didn't need to pause the action. No awkward diagonals too.

RyL

Banned
Xater said:
No! It's impossible! The geniuses at 3D Realms were not able to find solution!

hey, don't make fun of them... it's not like they had 14 years to develop it

developers nowadays have tight deadlines you know

Hazanko

Banned
Why don't they make a weapon wheel like the beyond good and evil password thing. Based on the PS3 controller, it could be L2 to bring up wheel and right stick to twirl it around to what weapon you want. Not sure if that would work tho.

bumpkin

MesserWolf said:
One game with such long (and troubled ) development had very little chances to be good.
I really wanted to be a part of a sort of historic event, but the extras that come with the "Balls of Steel" edition isn't worth the $60+ it would cost me after trading in the game itself. I played the demo several times hoping I'd warm up to it, but came away with the same feeling; blech. A demo should make you want more, and this one did the opposite. Maybe they chose crappy sections for the demo like some other posters said. I really don't know. What I do know is the game struck me as a polished student project, not a polished game made by pros over the course of a decade plus.

Sorry Duke, yours is a fool's bet I'm not willing to take.

DXPett1

Best bit of the demo was the title screen + music. It went downhill quickly thereafter. Regardless if the demo is indicative of the final product or not I certainly don't think it will be worth the $71 asking price on Steam, especially when I won't be touching the MP component.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
woolley said:
I'll just repost this once in case anyone wants the demo.

Quote this post to get the account information for PSN download. (Don't reply to it just read it)

this game almost sounds like resistance 2 again, cant wait to try it!

bumpkin said:
I really wanted to be a part of a sort of historic event, but the extras that come with the "Balls of Steel" edition isn't worth the $60+ it would cost me after trading in the game itself. I played the demo several times hoping I'd warm up to it, but came away with the same feeling; blech. A demo should make you want more, and this one did the opposite. Maybe they chose crappy sections for the demo like some other posters said. I really don't know. What I do know is the game struck me as a polished student project, not a polished game made by pros over the course of a decade plus.

Sorry Duke, yours is a fool's bet I'm not willing to take.

What? you should always bet on Duke :p

Aaron

Hazanko said:
Why don't they make a weapon wheel like the beyond good and evil password thing. Based on the PS3 controller, it could be L2 to bring up wheel and right stick to twirl it around to what weapon you want. Not sure if that would work tho.
Resistance 1 did this. Worked well.

United

Banned
I like the demo, but like most I was put off with the 2 weapons cycle as well. I wasn't totally down on it because I knew it was present after months of reading previews, but it still does hurt. I thought the game was fun though, the visuals were quite a bit ugly (particularly the shadows) but it did, to me at least, feel old school. Duke's one liners were great, and I just love how you can see him grab things, tweak things, punch things... really underrated element.

I think looking back at this generation, the only game that was able to mesh old school shooter elements, with the elements that arose in the Halo/COD era was Resistance 1. Lots of weapons, fun to use, over the top aliens that come at you in waves.... very underrated game.

Strangely, after playing through the demo again (using the noclip mode to look around), I think I'm warming to it even more.

I don't think this is going to be a great game. Not a genre-influencing, paradigm-shifting landmark like Duke 3D was. But I do think it's going to be a hell of a lot of fun.

Momo

Banned
Well, what can I say .. less chaotic and RAWR than I expected, not stellar but not bad. Hoping the full game is better.

Anyone have a steam code for me, I wanna demo it at work :(

kodt

Banned
So I played the demo for a little bit. So far I am not impressed.

1. Opening with the urinal was sort of funny, good to see the environment interaction that Duke Nukem is known for. Of course, it isn't that impressive anymore.

2. The DOF is jarring, I don't really like it.

3. Vehicle controls suck, who thought driving sections was a good idea anyway?

4. Too many one-liners, and most aren't that clever.

5. 2 weapons limit? This is not Duke Nukem, I almost turned the game off right there.

6. Game just isn't fun.

I'll try completing the demo but so far the game sort of blows.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
haha, took me awhile to realize "dont reply" for the psn

the 2-weapon thing is a downer, rellay irritiates me that other companies try to copy or "modernize" *coughCODcough* thier games instead creating a game that is unique.

* not enough duke music, you hear the theme briefly then GONE

* i hate this 2-weapon, i found myself in the same situation as r2, oh, theres an RPG, must mean theres a boss coming up.....

* bosses can only be hurt by explosives or rockets.....HMMMM

* what happened to the duke kick?

* LMAO, theres a config for COD fans.....

* the driving segment was out of place, when the stage loaded, it felt like i was minituarized, it doesnt give a good sense of scale. the vehicle has no weapons? ...coming from the people who gave you borderlands, i guess i was expecting more, meh

EvaTType01 said:
...coming from the people who gave you borderlands, i guess i was expecting more, meh

They didn't make it. They kinda patched it together from the 75% or so that was done by 3D Realms and then Pirahna and triptych and Gearbox finished it, though I'm not sure Gearbox really contributed much at all. They kinda acted like producers and supervised it.

It really didn't have any chance to be anything other than average, but maybe it will sell well enough to warrant a proper game being made with the IP.

playing the full game (xb360) as it came into work today and boy oh boy are the textures bad. i actually stood and waited for them to 'melt' in ala most unreal engine games but nope. no sir. just bad. :(

edit: okay, weird, just loaded up the second 'level', after the elevator ride down, and the framed photos seem to be much, much better. it's as if they only just loaded in. weirdd. i have the game installed as well...

JRW

xbulletholes said:
playing the full game (xb360) as it came into work today and boy oh boy are the textures bad. i actually stood and waited for them to 'melt' in ala most unreal engine games but nope. no sir. just bad. :(

edit: okay, weird, just loaded up the second 'level', after the elevator ride down, and the framed photos seem to be much, much better. it's as if they only just loaded in. weirdd. i have the game installed as well...

It's not just you it did this to me on the first level as well but was fine after that.

It has a lot of framerate issues, screen tearing and lacks any FSAA on 360 which im assuming might effect its overall score so im glad I preordered it on PC, But other than that the game is actually fun to play, yes even after hating the demo the full version isnt a complete train wreck like I expected. It does have issues but the fun factor is there if you liked Duke3D.

Momo

Banned
Momo said:
Well, what can I say .. less chaotic and RAWR than I expected, not stellar but not bad. Hoping the full game is better.

Anyone have a steam code for me, I wanna demo it at work :(
No one? ;-;

kdash7

Played the demo...loved it!! Brings back old memories...the graphics arent that bad! Yeah two weapon limit sucks. Hope its fixed in the retail version...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
kdash7 said:
Played the demo...loved it!! Brings back old memories...the graphics arent that bad! Yeah two weapon limit sucks. Hope its fixed in the retail version...

Won't be fixed in the retail version. And unless some skilled modders make a mod for the PC version, I doubt it'll ever be fixed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
the 2-weapon thing is a downer, rellay irritiates me that other companies try to copy or "modernize" *coughCODcough* thier games instead creating a game that is unique.
I hope you're not implying that the two weapon system is a creation of Call of Duty. It was a brilliant and unique addition to the original Halo and works phenomenally well in that case. It simply doesn't have a place in EVERY game, as we've seen. Perhaps the ultimate reminder of that is Resistance 2.

It has a lot of framerate issues, screen tearing and lacks any FSAA on 360 which im assuming might effect its overall score so im glad I preordered it on PC, But other than that the game is actually fun to play, yes even after hating the demo the full version isnt a complete train wreck like I expected. It does have issues but the fun factor is there if you liked Duke3D.
Yeah, the 360 version seems to be the worst in this case. Both PS3 and 360 games are running at a lower resolution, but the PS3 at least uses v-sync. The framerate is unstable as hell in both cases and the game looks ugly.

Much nicer on PC, but still unimpressive. A game looking like this SHOULD run at a perfect 60 fps on consoles, as far as I'm concerned. I suppose it could be an issue with UE2 on which this is based. Splinter Cell Conviction was also a heavily modified UE2 engine game and it ran like dog shit on 360 along with using an incredibly low resolution.

Top Bottom