• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever DEMO thread - Instructions and impressions here

Mooreberg

After watching the videos on GameTrailers, I can tell this is the exact same demo they had going at PAX East. Wasn't impressed then either. Hopefully the final game is better than this after the most ridiculous development cycle in the history of the medium.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Mooreberg said:
After watching the videos on GameTrailers, I can tell this is the exact same demo they had going at PAX East.
You are correct. This demo nearly a year old now.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Saerk said:
I enjoyed the demo. It wasn't amazing, but I had fun. The only thing that bugged me was the 2 weapon limit.

This basically sums my impressions. Having played DN3D out the ass, it would take a truly terrible effort to dissuade me.

Mudkips

Banned
Zeitgeister said:
:|

But it would work with other purchases that are not tied with gifts, or least not given away?

They claim they can only reverse the entire transaction (which is bullshit - it's simple and easy to reverse only a line item in a credit transaction).

They claim I can do this if I rebuy the other game in my transaction now (as a gift, to my email address, so I can reclaim it after they reverse the entire transaction).

But they can't do that because in my case the game was Frozen Synapse, which came with a gift code to give to a friend, which is already in use.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a ps3 dummy account going around? Could somebody PM me the info. Getting a bit buzzed right now, best time to play some Duke. :)

Spoo

The more I play the demo, the more I feel like it's a very, very small slice of "transition" gameplay; that is to say, it feels more like the glue you get in most FPS titles that holds larger segments, or set pieces if you will, together.

In short, it doesn't seem like the demo areas are designed with the intention of being on there own; it feels like there's not enough context to provide a proper feel of the game. So, a lot of people who are complaining about the linearity of it -- I suppose they have something there -- but I don't think it's a fault of the game, so much as a fault of taking a slim slice of the game, bringing it outside of context, and saying "Here, have fun."

And the irony of that is that, a lot of us who are not so concerned about outdated visuals or some anachronistic gameplay (which is, obviously, a purposeful design choice in lieu of DN3D and that history), are actually having fun with the thing.

In a sense, I think that bodes extremely well for the final product; if such a demo as this can provide an ounce of fun, you'd think the full game, evaluated from left to right, start to finish, may be exactly what we want out of a sequel to DN3D

Taking a slice of most anything in DN3D which such a small scope would probably yield similar results. Remember, when we all played DN3D, we didn't get a 14 minute demo, we got a third of the game. A game like DN probably requires that to really understand the overall vision.

(._.)

Banned
Steam wont let me DL. Says the servers have been too busy. It is only that game too. I tested it out on a couple other games. What to do?

Teknoman

Spoo said:
The more I play the demo, the more I feel like it's a very, very small slice of "transition" gameplay; that is to say, it feels more like the glue you get in most FPS titles that holds larger segments, or set pieces if you will, together.

In short, it doesn't seem like the demo areas are designed with the intention of being on there own; it feels like there's not enough context to provide a proper feel of the game. So, a lot of people who are complaining about the linearity of it -- I suppose they have something there -- but I don't think it's a fault of the game, so much as a fault of taking a slim slice of the game, bringing it outside of context, and saying "Here, have fun."

And the irony of that is that, a lot of us who are not so concerned about outdated visuals or some anachronistic gameplay (which is, obviously, a purposeful design choice in lieu of DN3D and that history), are actually having fun with the thing.

In a sense, I think that bodes extremely well for the final product; if such a demo as this can provide an ounce of fun, you'd think the full game, evaluated from left to right, start to finish, may be exactly what we want out of a sequel to DN3D

Taking a slice of most anything in DN3D which such a small scope would probably yield similar results. Remember, when we all played DN3D, we didn't get a 14 minute demo, we got a third of the game. A game like DN probably requires that to really understand the overall vision.

Sigh...shareware episodes were awesome back then.

bhlaab

Spoo said:

No, the irony is that I went into this wanting an old school experience and came back with a bad Half Life 2 clone.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Saerk said:
I enjoyed the demo. It wasn't amazing, but I had fun. The only thing that bugged me was the 2 weapon limit.
The 2 weapon limit actually ruined the demo for me. That and the completely uninspired level design. I miss the fantastic level design from Duke3D.

The main thing that bugs me about the demo being the Pax one is why the fuck did they not release it back then so they could of spent the past year listening to community feedback so they do not fuck up the last 12 years?

I mean that is wasted. Every AAA has beta's out the arse nowdays for this exact reason, even games that are single player focused. Of all the games that needed one, this was it. A week before release AFTER it has gone gold? Too late.

eshwaaz

Spoo said:

Plenty of people here have stated clearly that the "outdated visuals and anachronistic gameplay" are not what they find disappointing about this demo. I don't need the context of the entire game to form the opinion that the shooting - the most basic, fundamental mechanic of the game - is just not very satisfying here. This has nothing to do with any kind of unrealistic expectations based on modern genre standards; it's one of the key defining features of any action-focused FPS, and always has been.

Spoo said:
All it took was the first 10 minutes of DN3D for me to know that I was experiencing something special and must own the full game. Certainly, to have such expectations for Duke Nukem Forever would be incredibly naive and ignorant, but saying that a similar slice of DN3D would likely have left people just as cold as this demo is kind of a ridiculous statement.

JRW

Demo runs good here on i7 920 / GTX 480 and overall It was decent, but my expectations were already pretty low lol, I'm still interested in playing the full version at least.

Jigsaw

Banned
i just played the demo on ps3,by a country mile the worst and most ugly game i've played so far in 2011

the best thing in the demo was the (old) trailer after completing,i don't know why,the trailer looks so sweet but the game is just no fun

without the demo i would have probably bought it day 1,thx for saving me 60 bucks

Helmholtz

Saerk said:
Same, except the two weapon limit didn't bother me too much. I don't think the demo is nearly as bad as some people are saying.

abracadaver

the level design in duke 3d was awesome because you always had multiple ways to choose from where you want to go. like every map was a small open world. of course you had to look for keycards and then walk back and you passed the same areas multiple times but that was great. it made the maps very good for deathmatch as well as they were all designed like circles. quake was very similar in that regard. DNF looks like it will be very linear unfortunately.

Hazanko

Banned
abracadaver said:
the level design in duke 3d was awesome because you always had multiple ways to choose from where you want to go. like every map was a small open world. of course you had to look for keycards and then walk back and you passed the same areas multiple times but that was great. it made the maps very good for deathmatch as well as they were all designed like circles. quake was very similar in that regard. DNF looks like it will be very linear unfortunately.
Exactly. I checked the gearbox forums too and there are many that just don't understand why people don't like the demo and think it's because of graphics. I don't care about the graphics. I wanted Duke3D level design and be able to use all the weapons. I can't remember the set up on the 360 version of Duke3D but they managed to get all the weapons on the controller and I never had any problems with mulitplayer. I don't get why we don't have that. Also the movement is terrible. You just need to play older fps games and they are so responsive. I don't get why that is difficult these days. I always have to mess with sensitivity with shooters these days.

Pookmunki

Appreciate the dummy account to be able to dl, but i hated it. To be honest, i thought this was a Halo spoof more than anything ( driving, 2 weapon limit, laser in the sky with swirling clouds, melee attack) and hoped that the final game would revert to Duke of old. Looks like this doesn't seem to be the case though.

Did they really just release a year old demo with the game coming out next week? Seems daft.

abracadaver

is there a dummy account for xbox as well ?

wtf at the aliasing here:

duke_nukem_forever_verbovp.jpg

are the console version running in sub-hd resolution ?

smuf

God those screens look bad. I'm really hoping they went the lazy route with the demo and just released the old PAX build.

Spoo said:

I've been reading the thread for a while and I'm having trouble dealing with this kind of nonsense. We definitely didn't get old school (or anachronistic) gameplay. It's just shoddy and plain bad. As in: so awful I truly can't understand how anyone in their right mind says they actually like it.

bhlaab said:
No, the irony is that I went into this wanting an old school experience and came back with a bad Half Life 2 clone.

Yes, and a terrible one at that.

Holycrap at the 360 version. Doesn't seem to have any AA at all.

The PC version already looks like crap, can't imagine anyone playing the console versions without puking

Acquiescence said:
I was all set to get this game, but now I'm not so sure. And I haven't even played the demo that everyone keeps lambasting yet.

If this was any other game it would have review scores of 5/10 or something. Since it's Duke Nukem it's probably gonna be around 8.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Acquiescence said:
I was all set to get this game, but now I'm not so sure. And I haven't even played the demo that everyone keeps lambasting yet.
Having tried it myself, I hate to say it but it makes sense. It's not terrible but I can't say it comes as a surprise after the bumpy development cycle.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol this PC shots have no AA. Their PCs were too weak for it because there two options for AA in the menu.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
just incase anyone thought there might be some kind of legitimate design theory behind the two weapon limit, rather than simply bowing to the crippling limitations of goddawful twiddlestick controllers:

George Broussard said:
Except dnf uses the dpad for items like holoduke, duke vision, etc. There are only so many buttons. Add to that, that consoles represent 70% of game sales today, and that the two weapon scheme has worked and been STD since halo in 2001 and it's really not an issue.

The levels have weapons spread all over them. It's actually good gameplay to decide what to carry at any given time. Choices and consequence are good things in a game. I don't personally think it's good to carry 10 guns anymore, but that opinion is made irrelevant by the existence of consoles. It's not really worth the dev effort to support two different weapon switch schemes for pc vs controller, to say nothing of level and gameplay balance if one version of the game let's you carry 10 guns, and another, 2. The levels were all balanced with ample weapon drops and caches.

In the grand scheme of playing the full game it's really not a big deal.

Yes, the original game let you carry all weapons, but you do adapt to modern standards in some areas.
it's true, the two-weapon limit is an STD. rubber up, guys.

Good design... lol

Perhaps in certain situations...

It might increase realism, make the game more engaging, etc,

But in a freaking Duke Nukem game, where every couple of feet theres a new weapon on the ground, when some enemies can only be killed with one kind of weapon, it's NOT a good design choice, it's really bad one.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
A game like Duke will sell better on consoles these days, he's right. But I can't understand why they couldn't put a radial-pause menu on R3.

epmode

Mudkips said:
Surprise surprise, Steam won't let me cancel my pre order because I bought it in the same transaction as Frozen Synapse.

They offered to cancel the entire order and let me re buy Frozen Synapse as a gift to my email address, but that won't work either because of how Frozen Synapse comes with a second key, which I've already given to a friend.

Horse.
Shit.
I have definitely gotten a refund for a game in this exact position. Got a Portal 2 refund a day or two before launch even though I already gave away the included Portal 1 gift. Hell, the transaction I canceled was a 2-pack and they still let me do it. You'll have to let your friend know about the situation since he'll wind up losing the games.

Xater

subversus said:
A game like Duke will sell better on consoles these days, he's right. But I can't understand why they couldn't put a radial-pause menu on R3.

Yeah it is not like there have not been examples of how to make it work...

Top Bottom