• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever DEMO thread - Instructions and impressions here

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Don't recall if I posted this last night..

We extended the Free Multiplayer Add-on Pack for First Access Members all the way up to each territories launch date (International 9th at 11:59pm your time) (North America 13th at 11:59pm your time) since a lot of people were holding onto their FAC codes until the demo actually hit. This will now allow people who chose to not register their FAC keys until the demo hit since we got a fair amount of people who expressed this scenario and it now helps out those who want to preorder up until launch.

No date yet on the add-on pack but we should have more info sometime in the future.

Edgeward

The two weapon limit is the main thing that turns me off. Demo was pretty good, pretty fast paced and somehow had a certain charm with me in it's really dated look. Nice, that I could easily switch from k/m to controller on the fly, as I do not like driving with k/m at all.

And melee not being the Duke kick? For shame.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Got the PC demo working, and the game controls so much better with m+kb than the clunky, slow-ass controller. Quite liked the demo, even the ridiculous two-weapon limit was bearable.

clockpunk

Fun little demo. I would have liked, say, maybe the ability to carry 4-5 weapons (whch would have been more in the spirit of Duke), but it certainly whetted my appetite. Cannot wait for Friday! Goodbye disappointing LA Noire, hello Duke!

After all, the most important thing about a game is that it is fun, which (for me) the demo was.

I really hope some of the more popular Duke3D levels make the cut for Dukematch (such as Spin Cycle), or if not, that they'll make the DLC.

Very disappointing demo. No evidence of the awesome level design I remember from DN3D. I know the first section was bound to be part of the demo for a long time now, but both sections feel like odd choices for a demo. Two weapon limit is an unforgivable crime, and the regenerating "health" is a bleh choice. Most of the weapons feel sorta uninspired and samey in this day and age. The forgettable "epic" music is a huge let-down, maybe the biggest disappointment of the demo for me. And I hope there's a way to turn off those obnoxious, idiot-shepherding button prompts unless they're vital to the path.

However, the mechanics are fine. Duke's quips made me laugh. The humor and tone are about right (but there's not as much of it in this demo as I would have liked... DN3D is PACKED with nonstop humor), though it sorta lacks the "wow" factor DN3D brought to the table (and not just because of the multi-level stages, either).

I dunno. No conceivable game could live up to the unavoidable hype surrounding DNF. I told myself, "All I want to do is have fun with Duke again," expecting only a solid FPS, and this seems pretty solid despite the awful choice of demo and some really pedestrian design choices. (I better get to drive something besides that fucking truck in the full game.) Will buy, I think.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the full demo on youtube, and I don't care what you guys say, this looks FUN :D

Ecrofirt

I'm glad to hear that you can change the field of view. I got a headache and a little motion sick with the demo.

However, this does worry me when I'll be playing the full game on my Xbox, and not on PC.

Zizbuka

Banned
SalsaShark said:
you played just the game within a game and the driving section?

you didnt even played the actual game part, with the actual weapons and enemies..

give me a break

I got to the part after driving, with the pigs. I was manning a gun turret when a flying vehicle killed me. I didn't have enough interest to play again, uninstalled. Did I almost get to the end?

StuBurns

Banned
Zizbuka said:
I got to the part after driving, with the pigs. I was manning a gun turret when a flying vehicle killed me. I didn't have enough interest to play again, uninstalled. Did I almost get to the end?
Yes, not far, it's a short demo, you were maybe five minutes from the end.

I just was not impressed with this, plays like "just another FPS" two weapon limit is kinda stupid for this game. I ignored the graphics and enemy AI because this demo is very old by now and can't possibly represent final build quality. I'm hoping that Gearbox will take the series/character in a new direction, less pointless T&A and more like a 90's action movie hero setup (kind of like Die hard but with more of Dukes humor).

eXistor

TheBanditKing said:
I'm hoping that Gearbox will take the series/character in a new direction, less pointless T&A and more like a 90's action movie hero setup (kind of like Die hard but with more of Dukes humor).
Why? You want Duke Nukem to not be like Duke Nukem? Also T&A in B-games is never pointless.

Havnt played the demo but will probaly still purchase day 1 depending on the length of the single player. Is there a psn account getting passed around I can download the demo from?

Nemesis_

Outtrigger888 said:
Havnt played the demo but will probaly still purchase day 1 depending on the length of the single player. Is there a psn account getting passed around I can download the demo from?

No but an awesome person is apparently giving out codes in the "Free to a good home" thread.

Ashodin

Wow, there's so much blind hate in this thread it's almost.... blinding!

I expected it was going to be the E3 demo. Or the GDC one or whatever. But that doesn't mean the rest of the game isn't worth your time. I'm fairly certain this is pretty much the show off "This is duke" demo, and there's much more to come. Hell, one of the funnest parts of the demo is drawing on the whiteboard, and there's definitely more of that interactive fun to be had in the game (controlling an RC car, etc).

Plus multiplayer, DLC... It's Duke baby!

Stitch

Gold Member
yeah it's an old 15 minute demo for a 12 hours long game
also some of the complains are really dumb. i think someone in here actually complained that you die so fast when the enemies shoot you muhaha

oh whatever. gonna throw that turd around a bit more.

zeelman

I just wish the demo had one complete level. I kept wanting to see what happened next, but the game wouldn't have any of that. :(

TDLink

Pre-purchased from Steam but no first access code that I can find. Really sucks...

Don't suppose anyone has a spare still?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
As I suspected, changing the FOV made the game look about 200% better.

Now I just need a specific command to remove the DOF and proper MSAA support from Nvidia.

Crusader

Banned
It's the PAX 2010 demo, which pretty-much means it's a "proof of existence" demo. It seemed tight enough and they got the humor down.

I don't get all the hate as there's really not enough content here to REALLY tell if the whole game's gonna be terrible (or wonderful, but still).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be much worse, but it's ok graphics wise (on PC maxed out), feels good and fun.

Destructabiltity and interactivity is there, it feels like a Duke game except for two-weapon limit which should be modded in on release date.

eXistor said:
Why? You want Duke Nukem to not be like Duke Nukem? Also T&A in B-games is never pointless.
I see your point but listening to some chick gag while giving him a BJ is stretching it a bit, perhaps I just did not want that extra bit from a game (Personally I think some games take it too far these days). The character has potential to be more then just some guy that pushes the M rating almost to A every time.

Was impressed at how good it looked on the PC in comparison to the screens/videos, and while it was sort of fun I really don't see myself picking this up at launch.

I had fun with the demo and it was pretty much what I was expecting with this game. People here are being way too harsh. I was not expecting a graphical masterpiece, but I am content with what I got. Reminds me of a souped up version of the Doom 3/Fear/Prey engine.

Can't wait for the launch.

TDLink said:
Pre-purchased from Steam but no first access code that I can find. Really sucks...

Don't suppose anyone has a spare still?

Should someone have another one, I would very much like to have one as well.

@Buckethead: Pigs fly, hell freezes, errormessages become sentient, Duke lives!

alternative: the game that took forever. Sequel!

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Buckethead said:
Still working on the |OT|...

Anyone have suggestions for the thread title?

I'll choose the best one.
I can always attempt to scrounge up art. But you may be set already. Feel free to let me know.

I can't believe I waited 12 years for the experience to be ruined by fucking Haloization. I hope the modding community fixes the rape of my childhood icon or I will die a little inside.

MadFerIt

Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the insane depth of field the PC demo employs? Everything a short distance away is incredibly blurry.

ChronicleX said:
I can't believe I waited 12 years for the experience to be ruined by fucking Haloization. I hope the modding community fixes the rape of my childhood icon or I will die a little inside.

I was getting Halo vibes from this also. I had fun with the demo but will probably wait for a sale and pick it up when it hits the $20-$30 range.

Chiggs

Gold Member
MadFerIt said:
Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the insane depth of field the PC demo employs? Everything a short distance away is incredibly blurry.

Turn off post-processing.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Still hard to believe I got to try Duke Nukem Forever.

MadFerIt said:
Duke's eyesight is not the same anymore. I guess I know how he spent the last twelve years.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Crusader said:
It's the PAX 2010 demo, which pretty-much means it's a "proof of existence" demo. It seemed tight enough and they got the humor down.

I don't get all the hate as there's really not enough content here to REALLY tell if the whole game's gonna be terrible (or wonderful, but still).

If that's true, the final game is either really close to what is represented in the demo, or gearbox are a bunch of retards to release this demo into peoples hands and lose sales.

This demo literally made me cancel Duke and switch my monthly purchase to Operation Flashpoint Red River.

Now instead of waiting for Flashpoint on goozex, I'll wait for Duke to be dirt cheap.

I've now cancelled my pre-order. I've never played a Duke game and was sold purely on the "rawr, badass, Americuh" nature of the recent trailer, but the game is just too damn dated. Will wait for a Steam sale, if that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Buckethead said:
Still working on the |OT|...

Anyone have suggestions for the thread title?

I'll choose the best one.

"Pigs Flying. Snowballs in Hell."

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I've now cancelled my pre-order. I've never played a Duke game and was sold purely on the "rawr, badass, Americuh" nature of the recent trailer, but the game is just too damn dated. Will wait for a Steam sale, if that.
Dated and lame in my opinion. Dukes character is a product of the 90s and his shit just doesn't work anymore for me.

Just finished the demo. I liked it. It's fun in an old school, stupid sort of way. Dunno if I'll run out and buy it at launch, but I definitely want to play the full thing someday.

Dartastic

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I don't know why they decided on a two weapon limit. That's just silly, and there isn't much of a chance they can change that as it would require a huge retooling of the game to deal with weapon drops, ammo, etc. :/

Top Bottom