• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever DEMO thread - Instructions and impressions here

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Dated and lame in my opinion. Dukes character is a product of the 90s and his shit just doesn't work anymore for me.
I don't really have any problem with someone making corny one liners, but this demo has you pushing a minecart down a hallway. wooo

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The e3 trailer got my hyped. The one liners and tits were great. "I'd still hit it." I guess I'll watch the demo on youtube. My PC stinks.

Just watched them play it on Happy Hour.

Even discounting Brad playing like a retard, it looked fucking shit. I wanted a fun 90s romp, but it just looks unfinished and.. eurgh.

Sanic

KareBear said:
More like 14 why do people keep saying 12?
Yeah what's up with that? Are they talking twelve years from the time when the game was originally supposed to release?

And is anything known about the multiplayer? The demo didn't thrill me, but I could be up for some throwback mp

Sciz

I would assume the 12 years thing comes from Duke's line at the end of the intro, which was probably recorded a couple years ago.

Sethos

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Not after what I played.

I like games like that though. I like dragon rising, I love Arma, and I'll probably like Red River.

Don't you bring ArmA into any sort of comparison with that abomination that Codemaster has going, they are worlds apart. I beg you.

Corky said:
Almost being the key word?

With any other game there would be no contest, these new OFP games are terrible but after having playing the Duke Nukem demo, it's hard to top the shit-o-meter.

Alienshogun said:
Not after what I played.

I like games like that though. I like dragon rising, I love Arma, and I'll probably like Red River.
Dragon Rising is one of the worst FPS games ever. It is not even close to being worthy to OFP.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sethos said:
Don't you bring ArmA into any sort of comparison with that abomination that Codemaster has going, they are worlds apart. I beg you.

With any other game there would be no contest, these new OFP games are terrible but after having playing the Duke Nukem demo, it's hard to top the shit-o-meter.

Like it or not, it's as close to Arma as a console will get.

Eaten By A Grue said:
Dragon Rising is one of the worst FPS games ever. It is not even close to being worthy to OFP.

No, it wasn't, and if this demo is any indication of the quality of the final product this is another FPS that's worse.

Sethos

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Like it or not, it's as close to Arma as a console will get.

Just because it's the only game that TRIES to be an authentic military shooter, it doesn't even enter ArmA's stratosphere. OFP DR and RR are fucking terrible and it's one of the only series I wish that just dies, slowly - Riding a good name with that shit.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sethos said:

Sorry to go abit offtopic but what's the future of the OFP franchise? I always wanted to play the games in the olden days but never had a good enough pc then.

Good comedy, and the scenes are fun-ish, but the driving was ATROCIOUS and the first-person combat was so-so. I liked it, but I don't know if I liked it $60-worth.

Sethos

Banned
Corky said:
Sorry to go abit offtopic but what's the future of the OFP franchise? I always wanted to play the games in the olden days but never had a good enough pc then.

The future is in the ArmA series, BIS who made the original OFP moved on to create their own series, so that's where you want to be. ArmA 3 was announced recently.

Future of the current OFP is a dead end of wannabe-realistic military shooter but Codemasters denying it's a realistic shooter because they want to grab a bit of the CoD audience. It'll probably die soon.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sethos said:
Just because it's the only game that TRIES to be an authentic military shooter, it doesn't even enter ArmA's stratosphere. OFP DR and RR are fucking terrible and it's one of the only series I wish that just dies, slowly - Riding a good name with that shit.

Eh, I still enjoyed dragon rising. Sorry you didn't, and I'm sure I'll enjoy Red River.

I'll take decent "realistic" military shooters where I can get them.

FateBreaker said:
Good comedy, and the scenes are fun-ish, but the driving was ATROCIOUS and the first-person combat was so-so. I liked it, but I don't know if I liked it $60-worth.

PC version is currently $44 (Steam pre-order) but it looks like the console versions are locked in at 59.99.

Seagoon

Is it possible to gift someone a pre-order over Steam? If so I'm tempted to get someone to gift me the US version and cancel my BoS edition.

Mudkips

Banned
Surprise surprise, Steam won't let me cancel my pre order because I bought it in the same transaction as Frozen Synapse.

They offered to cancel the entire order and let me re buy Frozen Synapse as a gift to my email address, but that won't work either because of how Frozen Synapse comes with a second key, which I've already given to a friend.

Horse.
Shit.

Eaten By A Grue said:
I had fun with the demo and it was pretty much what I was expecting with this game. People here are being way too harsh. I was not expecting a graphical masterpiece, but I am content with what I got. Reminds me of a souped up version of the Doom 3/Fear/Prey engine.

Can't wait for the launch.

Agreed with that - I think the recent trailer threw everyone's expectations sky high for this... On it's own merits, it's fun, the shooting is not so bad, it's very nostalgic and it does massively feel like Duke with all the little touches and even the level design (particularly in the corridors around the changing rooms)

Ahoi-Brause said:
I cancelled my preorder of the balls of steel edition.
The demo just sucked too hard... seriously

You wouldn't have wanted to keep BOS edition for the cool extras? It's pretty loaded there and the PC version seemed to sell out quickly - you don't think it'll be worth a bit in a couple of years or so as a slice of gaming history?

Buckethead said:
Still working on the |OT|...

Anyone have suggestions for the thread title?

I'll choose the best one.

How about a reference to George Broussard's 2001 "release date":

Duke Nukem Forever |OT| When it's done...it's done?

Mudkips said:
Surprise surprise, Steam won't let me cancel my pre order because I bought it in the same transaction as Frozen Synapse.

They offered to cancel the entire order and let me re buy Frozen Synapse as a gift to my email address, but that won't work either because of how Frozen Synapse comes with a second key, which I've already given to a friend.

Horse.
Shit.

:|

But it would work with other purchases that are not tied with gifts, or least not given away?

My idea was something like...

Duke Nukem Forever |OT| Dr Dre has some 'splaining to do

I don't know, haven't seen one I love yet =P

Thread will be up first thing this monday. I'm excited for you guys to see it.

Top Bottom