• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk |OT| You can practically see it from here...home.

JB1981

Not at all. It actually all started with Inception's Polyester Carpet scene where nobody knew what the fuck Watanabe was saying because of the mix.

Then came TDKR where the initial Preview events of the plane scene had nobody able to understand a fucking thing Tom Hardy said - which resulted in Nolan incorporating some of the worst ADR / sound mixing ever by "fixing" it in a way where Hardy's dialogue sounded completely disconnected from the environment he was in. Theatres had to post notices outside the cinemas explaining that there was nothing wrong with their audio, that it was the film's sound mix.

Then Interstellar had Zimmer's (admittedly incredible) score drown out dialogue so many times that theatres ended up having to do the exact same thing to the point that all the trades started reporting on it in preview screenings. You couldn't hear a damn thing My Cocaine was saying as he died because the mix was so poor - favouring Zimmer's booming soundtrack.

And now you have quite a bit of the same in Dunkirk. If it's a meme, it's one that Nolan keeps perpetuating himself.

The weird thing about this to me (maybe it isn't really all that weird for technical reasons I'm ignorant of) but the mixes for his movies sound just fine on a home theater set up.

Real4Life

Neo Member
Sensational movie and one of the most intense experiences I've had in a cinema. Nolan is just next level and a true craftsman!

Here are my thoughts from the movie thread:

Dunkirk represents something of a reversal for Christopher Nolan. Where his last two films, Interstellar and The Dark Knight Rises, were swollen behemoths harkening back to road show epics of old Hollywood that ended up sagging under the weight of Nolan's expansive sweep and hefty screenplays that over explain concepts and emotions alike, Dunkirk is a shrinking down of his scope, despite the larger frame. Even its Russian nesting doll narrative conceit of three converging stories that unravel over tighter and tighter intervals of time, serves not only to heighten the tension (ala the action packed Inception climax that plays out over several layers of dreams) but to reign in the scope of the film from epic beach scenes filled with thousands of extras, to a small civilian vessel, and finally all the way down to the cockpit of a spitfire. It's epic in content, but personal in execution.

The whole film we are never afforded anything other than the perspective of the characters we follow, which immerses you in the action at all time. We never even see the opposing German forces outside of their anxiety inducing bombers, fighters, and the deafeningly loud gunshots they volley at our characters at the most unexpected times. They aren't portrayed as a human threat to be combated, hated, or understood--they are existential, a force that needs to be survived. And after sitting through Dunkrirk you will feel like you've survived as well.

Dunkirk draws from The Dark Knight's unusual structuring in that the film feels like it's in a constant state of climax. From the minute you are dropped in to the film your senses and psyche are under assault. Despite clocking in at not much more than 90 minutes, Dunkrirk feels like it lasts for an eternity thanks to the ever present sense of anxiety it induces. Clearly drawing more from the likes of Hitchcock than David Lean this time around, Nolan puts his best foot forward and focuses on razor sharp sequences of suspense rather than bouts of expository dialogue he's infamous for. There are still some bad habits he has carried over that do rear their heads at times, like on-the-nose cornball lines that clumsily express the theme, or yet another hokey moral dilemma set on a boat, but thankfully they are few and far between.

While the spare script doesn't leave a lot of room for the actors to show their chops in a way they're used to, they nevertheless make the most of what they are given. Tom Hardy in particular is the standout of the cast, as he so often is. Already a proven actor at being able to express himself with just body language, vocal inflection, and his eyes in other films in which he is encased in a mask like Fury Road or Nolan's own Dark Knight Rises, here he is entrusted with carrying scenes in which only his eyes are visible (as he is shrouded in a fighter pilot's mask), is given only about 10 lines of dialogue, and is filmed entirely in close up. And with just his eyes alone, he is able to sell an entire story.

Coupled with the brilliant IMAX photography and nail-biting editing, Dunkirk represents an anomaly of nearly pure visual storytelling in the modern blockbuster landscape. Hopefully this film won't be an anomaly in Nolan's own filmography going forward however, since this is one of his finest films and a confident new direction for him.

Didn't enjoy it much. Visually it was great, but structurally speaking splitting it into 3 as he did was an odd move and don't think it really needed that.

I would have preferred to have gone more in depth into some of the characters to be honest.

I thought this movie was amazing. It was both not very Nolan and also the most Nolan movie ever if that makes sense. The visuals were crazy, the way the story was told was great.

Also (spoilers) all I could think of when
Tom Hardy decided to go down with the fighter was "They expect one of us in the wreckage brother".

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Movie was intense. Almost a too real feeling of WW2, even if it's sensationalized.

jett

D-Member
I'll try to catch this next week, since it's when it opens here. Thankfully I don't have to worry about spoilers with this movie. :p

Not at all. It actually all started with Inception's Polyester Carpet scene where nobody knew what the fuck Watanabe was saying because of the mix.

Then came TDKR where the initial Preview events of the plane scene had nobody able to understand a fucking thing Tom Hardy said - which resulted in Nolan incorporating some of the worst ADR / sound mixing ever by "fixing" it in a way where Hardy's dialogue sounded completely disconnected from the environment he was in. Theatres had to post notices outside the cinemas explaining that there was nothing wrong with their audio, that it was the film's sound mix.

Then Interstellar had Zimmer's (admittedly incredible) score drown out dialogue so many times that theatres ended up having to do the exact same thing to the point that all the trades started reporting on it in preview screenings. You couldn't hear a damn thing My Cocaine was saying as he died because the mix was so poor - favouring Zimmer's booming soundtrack.

And now you have quite a bit of the same in Dunkirk. If it's a meme, it's one that Nolan keeps perpetuating himself.

Hardy redoing all of his lines in TDKR will never not be the funniest thing. For the worst. Too bad they couldn't just clear up the original recording, or didn't want to. His final Bane is often laughable. Why the hell is he talking that way, randomly altering the pitch of his voice.

Randdalf

Just saw this in Imax, and I left the film completely shaken. Ever since that first gunshot, I was as taut as a bowstring. Incredible stuff.

I've read some of the criticisms in this thread, and I think people criticising character development are not necessarily wrong, but kind of missing the point. You don't want the characters to survive as much as you want to survive the film. Nearly every single set piece is experienced from within the carnage. When the ship is hit by a torpedo, we are drowning inside the darkness of the ship. When the Spitfires are attacked, we are in the cockpit. The enemy are never depicted on screen except as gunshots, bombs and planes, the only interaction the real soldiers would have had with them.

Wag

Do I need to bring earplugs for this? The last couple of Nolan movies I saw at IMAX were so loud I could hear the dialog.

Saw this last night and man, what an intense movie this was. Fantastic experience.

Had trouble understanding some of the dialogue but luckily, didn't really hamper much if any enjoyment since almost everything was conveyed pretty well through the visuals. Most of the dialogue felt superflous as well, with the key moments being clearly audible, so I don't hold the sound mixing against this particular Nolan film.

It's different than past Nolan films for sure but I think this one plays heavily into his strengths and thus is his best film (besting out Memento and TDK for me).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Holy shit I hope my eardrums aren't damaged for good.
Guy next to me was holding his ears the entire Movie lol.

Yeah some of the gun shots weren't too far off from how loud they are

Hardy redoing all of his lines in TDKR will never not be the funniest thing. For the worst. Too bad they couldn't just clear up the original recording, or didn't want to. His final Bane is often laughable. Why the hell is he talking that way, randomly altering the pitch of his voice.

That's called ADR and literally every movie does it.

Pachimari

Just came out the cinema.

Fuck the table at my seat. Fuck the guy drinking strong beer besides me lol. And fuck that consistent sound throughout the entire movie.

It was a great experience. Bad film.

Also 70mm made shit difference.

aember

God damn this was a breathtaking film for me.

Saw it last night, the local cinema has a Dolby Atmos setup now and the sound was simply amazing.

GKnight

Banned
It was a great experience but i didn't think it had a very good plot, or much plot at all.
It just seemed like a day in the life of Dunkirk to me

JB1981

I'll try to catch this next week, since it's when it opens here. Thankfully I don't have to worry about spoilers with this movie. :p

It's really not THAT much worse. Mr Hyperbole lol

JB1981

Do I need to bring earplugs for this? The last couple of Nolan movies I saw at IMAX were so loud I could hear the dialog.

Haha honestly you might. It depends on the venue. I saw the film in a very large IMAX theater and the sound was VERY loud but not as loud as some other movies I saw in IMAX this year of Dolby Atmos for that matter. Has anyone here seen the movie in Atmos? I find Atmos sound to be better quality than IMAX.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Hmmm, I have to say I wasn't that impressed with the film..

There was a lot of tension for what seemed like no reason at all. They did a really bad job at showing us why it was so urgent to leave the beach.

A sumptuous experience, a lavish style of filmmaking interweaving three different timelines in a crescendo moment of tension. The camera is rigid, the pans are slow, the shot lingers and the imax imagery awes the audience over the colossal landscape. The contrast is the characters. The camera is intimate , adjacent to the characters, to their small observations and movements, while their engulfed by a situation that is totally out of their control. It's extremely refined but never flashy. It's much more Sorcerer (or Wages of Fear) than Gravity.

Nolan keeps cementing himself as one of the most virtuoso filmmakers, Dunkirk being as much of a visual experience as another terrific example of his ability (as a writer) to play within film-structure to emphasize the correlation between events.

If Inceptions hallway sequence or the docking scene from Interstellar showed in the past he had a knack for innovative action spectacle, the Spitfires sequences of this are most certainly of one his most accomplished moments, setting a high bar for aerial sequences.

A damn fine movie.

I don't see the lack of a main protagonist as a problem. Nolan created a unrelenting, cruel atmosphere, with the Nazis literally being faceless, merciless war machines. And the Allied soldiers are just small, insignificant cogs, thrown around in this mess, with just barely enough will and luck to survive. It made the pressing Germans feel like an unstoppable natural calamity.

DavidDesu

Was kind of meh most of the way through this but the ending fifth was bloody good. Emotional.

Thought it didn't ratchet up the tension as much as I expected and a lot of it felt underwhelming. Also I'm saddened at the lack of scale. We get told 400,000 men on the beaches, all I saw was maybe a few hundred at best in a few scant lines.. Also expected the scene at the end to show more boats, again the scale was kind of lacking. Saving Private Ryan's landing on Normandy felt more believable and I'm guessing that real-life incident didn't involve that many?

Hey I liked it. A watch once kind of film and I loved the different time scales and going forwards and back, kept it interesting. Just missing that scale that would have made it feel like a real thing and not a movie.

Javaman

I don't see the lack of a main protagonist as a problem. Nolan created a unrelenting, cruel atmosphere, with the Nazis literally being faceless, merciless war machines. And the Allied soldiers are just small, insignificant cogs, thrown around in this mess, with just barely enough will and luck to survive. It made the pressing Germans feel like an unstoppable natural calamity.

I didn't get that feeling at all. The soldiers were evacuating a ghost town and harrassed by only a handful of soldiers, planes and subs. He did a horrible job of showing the coming behemoth of the German army and the French who were struggling to hold them back.

Dysun

Going in with the right expectations made a difference. I knew what was coming based on the early reactions. Not in the upper echelon of Nolan films, but enjoyable none the less.

My one prevailing thought is the sound design is incredible. The planes and bullets flying by instill a real sense of dread and tension.

Just saw it this morning. It didn't catch on in the first hour for me but the last half or so of the film made me absolutely love it. The sound design is incredible and the visuals are just stunning. Felt the impact of every bullet. The air combat scenes were definitely absolute perfection. Tom Hardy's character stole the show for me in the end.

EGM1966

It was a great experience but i didn't think it had a very good plot, or much plot at all.
It just seemed like a day in the life of Dunkirk to me
I'm finding this very amusing. Not to pick on you but just because from the first teaser to the final trailer that's obviously what the film was going to be: an near cinema vertie experience of being at Dunkirk.

While of course that can have a plot in many cases it actually detracts from films of combat experiences because in real life there is no plot. The beach assault in SPR works so well because it's just the assault without plot or characters with arcs. Most criticism of the film comes when that comes to the fore. Black Hawk Down works as well as it does by also stripping plot/character down.

Ultimately I guess people should realise that's the kind of film Dunkirk is: it's about the experience and conveying that sense of desperation in face of imminent death from foes you won't even see.

This short interview with a Dunkirk veteran I think oddly sums up what I feel Nolan was going for.

Http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-devon-40575883/veteran-recalls-horror-of-dunkirk

EGM1966

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'd love to but I haven't found anyone foolish enough to pay me for what I write yet.
Have you tried local papers and the like? I'd agree the write up was very good and I have friend in UK who got into reviewing via small local paper initially?

You probably have... but if you can write nice, clear analysis like that you should keep trying.

Khansolo1

. So does the amc forum 30 theatre in Michigan have a real IMAX screen? Because they have the option of seeing it in IMAX or 70 MM.

Moozo

Paid IMAX prices and was greeted with this at the beginning:

o.jpg

Anyone know why?

Great visuals, good audio, okay film. The problem was that the film felt like it was ramping up the entire time towards some sort of finale, and instead it just......ends. No satisfying or visceral end. A lot of the shots in the film were also wide establishing shots that just felt like filler. The only character I felt anything for was the father, who coincidentally enough also had the most lines. Also historically speaking, there were 400,000 something troops there in real life. In the film it looks like maybe 200-300 with about 7 boats to pick them up. For a war film I didn't really feel like they were in much danger, and everyone gets off safe and sound in a very sterile way.

kirblar

Saw it last night and it left me really cold the same way Fury Road did. Technically great but something was missing for me.

Saw it last night and it left me really cold the same way Fury Road did. Technically great but something was missing for me.

That's strange. I also drew some parallels to Fury Road, but more in the differences between them. I feel like strong characterization throughout was what separated Fury Road from Dunkirk for me.

I still really enjoyed Dunkirk, and will see it again in the home theater when able, but I didn't really feel like I was given a chance to connect with any of the characters beyond experiencing the predicaments they were in.

Top Bottom