• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk |OT| You can practically see it from here...home.

It's almost like Nolan doesn't know digital cameras can go under water without issue with the right gear.
Most cameras can. The IMAX camera did have the right gear, it's just that the housing malfunctioned and filled with water. In the same situation, a digital camera would been destroyed along with the footage.

Watched it last night. Really loved it however there is no IMAX nearby. But after seeing it I'd happily drive an hour to my nearest City to watch it again in IMAX.

I really liked the dogfighting. Wasn't over the top but realistic. The sound and music design was what really got me on the edge of my seat the entire time though. Great movie.

just saw it

really liked it :>

gorgeous and well stitched together * ___ *

all the characters are so well acted and i was with tom hardy every step of the way * ___ *

Just saw it again. Wasn't as suspensful this time but still a thrilling ride. Also for some reason in my first viewing I didn't pick up on Harry Styles (think it was him) getting all worried about the country hating him only to find the welcoming cheers at the station.

They did though. The very first strafing run involved machine guns.

Was actually the second bombing run on the mole where one of the Stukas fired its guns, right after that infamous shot of the smiling extra.

JB1981

So I saw this a second time last night and I've been trying to pinpoint what I felt was missing in this movie and I think the movie fails in two ways:

1. If I understand correctly there were 400,000 men on the beach right? Ok if that is the case then why is it that we only ever see like 3 boats leave the mole? Did they evacuate 400,000 men? Certainly all this men were not transported by the civilian boats that showed up.

2. The movie does not adequately you convey how desperate and dire their situation was. Like this movie is basically a race against time right? The enemy is moving in and getting closer every day but we don't really get a sense of how close they are and how much time the Brits have left before they are basically dead. What forces are holding the enemy back? Certainly not the 4 soldiers behind sandbags in the side street at the beginning. I think some of this information was discussed by the British officers thru dialog but SHOW ME don't tell me.

NewDust

Can't really put it into words, but Dunkirk feels like the antipode to SPR. SPR focuses on a single group of soldiers, is very graphic, and character trumps plot. Dunkirk focuses on different individuals, is very subtle in showing violence and almost all the character progression is limited to the storied events.

So I saw this a second time last night and I've been trying to pinpoint what I felt was missing in this movie and I think the movie fails in two ways:

1. If I understand correctly there were 400,000 men on the beach right? Ok if that is the case then why is it that we only ever see like 3 boats leave the mole? Did they evacuate 400,000 men? Certainly all this men were not transported by the civilian boats that showed up.

2. The movie does not adequately you convey how desperate and dire their situation was. Like this movie is basically a race against time right? The enemy is moving in and getting closer every day but we don't really get a sense of how close they are and how much time the Brits have left before they are basically dead. What forces are holding the enemy back? Certainly not the 4 soldiers behind sandbags in the side street at the beginning. I think some of this information was discussed by the British officers thru dialog but SHOW ME don't tell me.

Much like the soldiers on that beach.

Movie doesn't do a great job explaining but 400000 people were evacuated over a course of 7 days per the actual events. Presumably several were evacuated by destroyers or what not but the leads didn't get close to those between the torpedo and when they tried getting off by the small ship

Rogan

Banned
Movie doesn't do a great job explaining but 400000 people were evacuated over a course of 7 days per the actual events. Presumably several were evacuated by destroyers or what not but the leads didn't get close to those between the torpedo and when they tried getting off by the small ship

This is my only issue with this film.

400k soldiers saved by 15 civilian ships and two destroyers? I found it pretty hard to believe.

Enjoyed the movie very much, it was a spectacle and a great Nolan film.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

This is turning out to be my biggest gripe with the film. I know Nolan doesnt like to do CGi, but there were 900 civilian ships sent to the Beach. How hard is it to draw 900 CGi boats? Game of Thrones had more. Troy showed thousands 14 years ago. Add some more CGi soldiers on the beach.

The 4 minute tracking shot of Dunkirk in Attonement did a better job capturing the scale of the beach than this 2 hour movie. it felt like a low budget movie when compared to that scene in Dunkirk. Why is that beach empty?

The scene with
Tom Hardy's plane gliding the coast to land
was god-like.

Why? Because of the cinematography? I am legitimately trying to understand. This is how the interstellar haters must feel like when they talk to me because all the things people like about the movie just go right over my head. It's an ok shot. I have seen better. the final soundtrack is ok, nothing compared to the tracks that play during the ending of Inception, TDKR and Inception.

Just got back 6.5/10

It was plodding slow and percussionist which is all fine but the movie didn't really have much impact to me - non of the scenes made me sit up like the opening of Saving Private Ryan did. It sort of rang a bit hollow.

The
time cuts and the repetition of sequences
from different POVs didnt add to much to the movie for me. And it was hard to tell who is who - when the
french guy drowned
I couldn't even tell who it was.

sort of dull. no really an impactful war movie. I wished I'd liked it more. A lot of times I was like "get on with it already".

That's 2 back to back Nolan films I didn't love. I really loathed interstellar

The movie almost tries to make the audience feel stupid for asking the question in the first place. If the director didn't bother to bring it up you should already know, is the take away I'm getting from it. The film is so shoddy in its visual story telling, and really, given that there aren't any characters or even dialogue worth holding onto it is all it has left inside it. I'd argue the whole film is an editorial mess and the time jumps are barely motivated. It gives you no window at all into how the evacuation took place or how it was achieved. Am I to believe the men on the dock stood there for a week? There was a single hour of air support that entire time?

I don't get the whole plane landing scene as anything great or amazing either but it did have the single most tense moment with having to have the wheels come down. Other than that it's a shot of a plane landing.

The more I think about the movie the more it falls apart.

One of my nitpicks about an all around good film...I didn't like the timing of the soldier on the train at the end being afraid everyone would think they are cowards and hate them, because just a minute later they reveal that isn't the case. I wish they would have introduced the idea much earlier in the film so it had time to sink in and root itself, then I might have felt a bit more emotion at the the guy handing them a beer. The turn would have pulled at my heart perhaps.

ogbg

The movie almost tries to make the audience feel stupid for asking the question in the first place. If the director didn't bother to bring it up you should already know, is the take away I'm getting from it. The film is so shoddy in its visual story telling, and really, given that there aren't any characters or even dialogue worth holding onto it is all it has left inside it. I'd argue the whole film is an editorial mess and the time jumps are barely motivated. It gives you no window at all into how the evacuation took place or how it was achieved. Am I to believe the men on the dock stood there for a week? There was a single hour of air support that entire time?

I don't get the whole plane landing scene as anything great or amazing either but it did have the single most tense moment with having to have the wheels come down. Other than that it's a shot of a plane landing.

The more I think about the movie the more it falls apart.

I saw it just as a slice of the full evacuation. It just covered the soldiers, the boats, and the planes that all happened to share that same overlapping event but throughout the course of that week there were other soldiers, boats, and planes who all had similar experiences.

Sevenfold

Went to see it at the Printworks in Manchester. First IMAX experience.. I work with giant outdoor screens everyday but crikey that's a big screen. Booked early and got pick of the house. Chose H20 dead center about 5 rows from the back and one of the VIP seats. Looking straight ahead my eye level was about a third of the way up the screen and about halfway with my head on the rest. The room filled but those front three rows? Empty. You'd have to be mad to see it from there.

It was glorious to watch. Some of the air stuff especially really showing off the scale. The size does faster panning shots no favours though with objects lurching feet across the screen. Something that has always bugged me and sledgehammer subtlety on an enormous screen. It's a given though and when the camera slowed down the amount of attention the scenes got had me searching the screen for details. Sublime.

The loud thread had me worried going in and it was certainly brutal. Those first
shots in the street
set the tone and possibly the
the target practice
was at the limits of comfort but worth it for the Spitfire audio. Incredible. The sound stage (in the seat I was in at least) was perfect. Quite a unique experience.

Second time at the cinema alone. First was Moon which I loved but couldn't beg anyone to watch lol and this time there were a god scattering of (male) solo watchers, a few couples and more elderly than I expected. Must have been very loud for them yikes.

Fury451

Banned
Found his movie to be okay after reflecting on it for a few days, but I didn't love it.

one of the biggest problems for me was scale; maybe I was missing something, but it seemed like there were maybe 20 civilian boats and about 200 men on the beach in those scenes.

And yes, lack of emotional investment which was a bit weird but that's been covered extensively already.

The time construct stuff was masterfully done with interweaving plots, but it didn't seem to portray onscreen what they kept referring to.

Went to see it at the Printworks in Manchester. First IMAX experience.. I work with giant outdoor screens everyday but crikey that's a big screen. Booked early and got pick of the house. Chose H20 dead center about 5 rows from the back and one of the VIP seats. Looking straight ahead my eye level was about a third of the way up the screen and about halfway with my head on the rest. The room filled but those front three rows? Empty. You'd have to be mad to see it from there.

It was glorious to watch. Some of the air stuff especially really showing off the scale. The size does faster panning shots no favours though with objects lurching feet across the screen. Something that has always bugged me and sledgehammer subtlety on an enormous screen. It's a given though and when the camera slowed down the amount of attention the scenes got had me searching the screen for details. Sublime.

The loud thread had me worried going in and it was certainly brutal. Those first
shots in the street
set the tone and possibly the
the target practice
was at the limits of comfort but worth it for the Spitfire audio. Incredible. The sound stage (in the seat I was in at least) was perfect. Quite a unique experience.

Second time at the cinema alone. First was Moon which I loved but couldn't beg anyone to watch lol and this time there were a god scattering of (male) solo watchers, a few couples and more elderly than I expected. Must have been very loud for them yikes.

I knew as soon as they
got inside the boat and everything was echoing
that it was about to get realllly loud. I probably jumped like 4 times in this movie from loud gunshots hahah. But hearing those Spitfires and Stukas in Imax was absolutely worth it.

JB1981

The more I read about Dunkirk the more I dislike this movie and feel it fell well short in placing it in proper historical context

Google

I dont know, guys.

I'm English. My parents were in the army. My dad brought me up on Battle of Britain films. You could say I'm the target market for this movie.

I really enjoyed it. It was paced very well paced (which I've had trouble with Nolan in the past) and was pretty anxious throughout the majority of the film.

I literally cannot fathom the criticism of some of the aspects.

The volume one bothers me. Yes, it's very loud. War was very loud. I think that's what they're going for.

The confusing storyline argument seems silly. Mark Kermode makes a very good point "Nolan treats his audience as intelligent (whether you like the film or not)".

The scale complaint...seriously? They had 60 real ships in the water at certain points. There were 6000 extras.

I can completely understand people not enjoying the movie. Everyone likes what they like. But the arguments here seem a little crazy.

Just saw the 70mm and enjoyed it thoroughly despite a badly scratched print( after only a few days of screenings) and some annoying patrons.

I'm in Colorado for another 4 days so I'm thinking of seeing again with my family in true IMAX.

-griffy-

Banned

The small civilian boats mainly ferried soldiers from the beach to larger boats farther out in the water that couldn't actually land at the beach since it was too shallow (remember earlier in the movie, only one large boat could land at the mole at a time and they were concerned about a boat sinking there, preventing any other large boat from being able to dock).

JB1981

The small civilian boats mainly ferried soldiers from the beach to larger boats farther out in the water that couldn't actually land at the beach since it was too shallow (remember earlier in the movie, only one large boat could land at the mole at a time and they were concerned about a boat sinking there, preventing any other large boat from being able to dock).

Fair enough. I don't think the movie did a very good job of illustrating that point though

Dopus

Banned
Got teary eyed. The piece that accompanies it was also pushing the tears. I can't recall the name of the piece, but it was used in the London 2012 Olympics.

It's Elgar's Nimrod. A slower paced remix. And honestly, using that particular piece felt over the top. I understand it has a very personal significance for Nolan, but another piece would have been more befitting.

Google

It's Elgar's Nimrod. A slower paced remix. And honestly, using that particular piece felt over the top. I understand it has a very personal significance for Nolan, but another piece would have been more befitting.

I would say it has personal significance to most English people...

Dopus

Banned
I would say it has personal significance to most English people...

Of course, it's just over the top with Churchill's speech, the White Cliffs and Branagh's self-sacrificing line about staying behind for the French. It's made worse because of how the French are handled in the film too.

Google

Fair enough. I don't think the movie did a very good job of illustrating that point though

Again, Nolan is treating his audience as intelligent.

They specifically brought attention to the amount of battleships they had early on in the film (when the officer loses his mind when told they're not bringing any of them closer).

Google

Of course, it's just over the top with Churchill's speech, the White Cliffs and Branagh's self-sacrificing line about staying behind for the French. It's made worse because of how the French are handled in the film too.

Disagree. I welled up.

The French are barely handled in the film. It's a British story.
The one French guy who's featured throughout is treated as a hero (he saves the boys from that one ship) and then dies as the last man in the little boat.

kosmologi

A very good film. Is it Nolan's best? Not in my opinion, at least based on one viewing.

Cinematography was the best aspect of the film, the colours and shots were beautiful. The beach and the aviation scenes were best part of this film.

The story and dialogue could perhaps be described as minimalistic, the characterization reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey, because Noland didn't want to build characters rather than show their journey.

Like many have mentioned the movie was loud, too loud in some scenes. The same issue was there with Interstellar, too. It's difficult to find justification for this, because in some places the volume was so loud it completely muddled the soundscape.

Dopus

Banned
Disagree. I welled up.

The one French guy who's featured throughout is treated as a hero (he saves the boys from that one ship) and then dies as the last man in the little boat.

I realise that. But there were over 100,000 French troops also evacuated.

Nimrod is an amazing piece, but it's feels like a cliche. It's over-sentimental. And it certainly doesn't help when it's an overused piece in adverts for things like Pimm's and Tea ads.

I love listening to it on its own, but generally accompanied by other media it's too much.

Robiin

I just rewatcjed Inception for the first time in years and it's still incredible. Don't know if that or Memento is Nolan's best. I've only seen The Prestige once thougg, I should rewatch that too.

Appleman

Disagree. I welled up.

Didn't realize until after the film that Harry Styles and the main guy probably have no idea that he saved their lives

Trago

Got back from the IMAX theater in DC.

That was kick ass! Not only did IMAX make the difference, but the sound design was top notch too. Excellent movie.

Just got back from watching this, arguably my favourite film by Nolan, and, like Hans Zimmer ever needed anymore praise, this film is a cinematic masterclass in sound design, in my opinion.

I never tear up at war films, but the civilian ships coming in hit home personally since my great grandfather helped man one of them shortly before his death. I'd say that moment was a lot more of the highlight than Churchill's speech at the end, I get why they put that speech in, but by that stage the intent of fighting the Nazi's aren't what I and my family were thinking about, that was dedicated to the levels of living Hell each and every one of those guys put up with.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Going to see it tonight on Imax. I imagine I will enjoy it. Will be curious to see if I like it more than Interstellar which is my favorite Nolan film.

Top Bottom