• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante pls: Metal Gear Rising PC won't support higher resolutions than 1080p

Zomba13

Maybe the graphics options (in game) only go to 1080p but you can get higher from an ini or cfg or something?

Shouldn't affect me as I have a 1680x1050 120hz monitor but obviously sucks for people with monitors about 1080p which seem quite common among people who end up actually buying a lot of PC games.

Dr Dogg

But the sale is going on now, we need to know this now not when it comes out and everyone has a terrible port in their library.

Hahaha yeah I get you but do you really need to buy this now? If you're concerned about how it's going to turn out what's wrong with waiting? If another Konami publish PC game, Castlevania is anything to go by there will be discounts after the initial release and of the same or better offerings in discounts as well.

Nothing wrong with sitting on the fence.

also,

1SmlFch.jpg
lbZ9O6T.jpg

:D

Lain

Here's an idea. Why don't we wait for it to be actually released before we all start go reaching for the pitchforks and declaring it a shit port.

Sure I'm a bit gutted that JP has said 1080p is the max as I've got a 16:10 monitor and will have black bars top and bottom but I'm not going to go and declare this anything until I have it my hands and at least play around a bit before coming to a conclusion.

I don't think everyone is rushing for the pitchforks and calling it a shit port just yet. People are preemptively calling for a fix from the only hero that brings it because what PG has said isn't exactly reassuring.
A resolution lock, even at 1080p, isn't good nor cool on PC.

Spaghetti

it's platinum's first pc port, i think they can be forgiven this time. minor overreaction from people calling it a bad port though, considering nobody has actually played it yet.

please understand

Eusis

I would be ok even with 720p only. For me, it's ok and it'll continue to be for many and many years.
Settling for 720p on PC for a 3D game is kinda BS though. What's the point other than lacking a PS3 or 360?

Only a 1080p 60hz monitor so it's not like I can go higher natively and I swear super sampling introduces input lag, but I would be concerned for the future... If it weren't for the fact it'd probably get fixed one way or the other by the time it matters for me.

epmode

it's platinum's first pc port, i think they can be forgiven this time. minor overreaction from people calling it a bad port though, considering nobody has actually played it yet.

Arbitrarily limiting the internal resolution of a 3D game is a bad port, full stop.

A PC port is now shit if it doesn't allow for resolutions above 1080p? That's new.

Hyperbole is fun.

There's almost no chance you play PC games. If you did, you'd know that stuff like this practically never happens because it's so goddamned easy to allow for ultra-high resolutions in a 3D game.

kazebyaka

Banned
A PC port is now shit if it doesn't allow for resolutions above 1080p? That's new.

Hyperbole is fun.
to be honest, 1080 is old news. It maybe a new and exciting thing for next gen consoles, but many pc gamers are used to higher resolutions, up to 3 monitors and stuff like that.

Nethaniah

Hyperbole is fun.

A PC game released in 2014 that only support resolutions up to 1080p? Yep that's a bad port right there, there are many people who have higher resolution monitors and that number is only going to grow, this port is outdated before it's even released based on these comments.

To put it in simple terms, this game is unplayable if you only have a monitor that's higher than 1080p.

Alienous

Why aren't physics based objects not turned into static objects without any collision detection after, say, 30 seconds?

Why isn't that possible.

theJohann

Well better go game on consoles then. What a ridiculous attitude to have towards shit ports.

Exactly. I don't play on PC to make statements like "Well, it could be 720p, so it's not that bad!" That is a very damaging attitude that one should have towards PC ports.

I did not think it was much of a deal until capcom patched in support for resolutions higher than 1080p in RE: Revelaitons. It was night and day.

destx

1080p and 60fps is good enough, a fix isn't exactly needed
There is no such thing as 'good enough' when it comes to resolution for 3D games on PC. It should always be variable. People will want to play this on 4k monitors in a year or two, and it will look like trash scaled up from 1080p.

To put it in simple terms, this game is unplayable if you only have a monitor that's higher than 1080p.
Even if you have "only" a 1080p monitor you might like to supersample and downscale which if I understand correctly limiting the game like this prevents.

Dr Dogg

I don't think everyone is rushing for the pitchforks and calling it a shit port just yet. People are preemptively calling for a fix from the only hero that brings it because what PG has said isn't exactly reassuring.
A resolution lock, even at 1080p, isn't good nor cool on PC.

Hahaha oh I would hardly say everyone but if you go back the last page and just search of the word shit there are already matches. That's only going to grow by the end of the day. And still by then no one outside of Platinum or Konami has even played it.

As I said before if you're concerned about the quality of the port why don't you wait. If you've preordered it already on Amazon or Steam you can cancel and get a refund. Also like I pointed out when Konami released Castlevania on Steam they had a similarly large early bird discount but also had subsequent discounts in the months after release so it's not like by not buying now you're missing out on a lifetime offer or a sale of the century.

As I said I'm reserving judgement until I've actually played it.

Spaghetti

Arbitrarily limiting the internal resolution of a 3D game is a bad port, full stop.
i don't particularly agree that one negative aspect creates a bad overall port, especially when said port has a number of features over the console version and the stark fact that nobody has played it yet

it's platinum's first pc port, they're one of the few japanese studios that are looking to get invested in the pc space, and i personally think it's worth showing support to so they can continue to release pc games in the future

ScribbleD

i don't particularly agree that one negative aspect creates a bad overall port, especially when said port has a number of features over the console version and the stark fact that nobody has played it yet

it's platinum's first pc port, they're one of the few japanese studios that are looking to get invested in the pc space, and i personally think it's worth showing support to so they can continue to release pc games in the future

Why would anyone need to play it? Haven't you read the whining? 1080p max is now considered unplayable apparently.

I'm seriously blown away by the number of people going berserk in this thread over a resolution cap.

I mean it's obviously not a good thing but refusing to buy a great game because it's not optimized for high end monitors is kinda bonkers to me. Do you guys just base all of your purchases on image quality?

Personally I'm happy with 1080p and 60 fps although I can understand why some people would prefer more. It's just strange how many people in this thread are claiming it's 'shit' based on this. Time will tell whether this is actually a good port.

Also, not trying to be inflammatory but this 'Durante pls" stuff every time a PC port doesn't have every single feature and optimization for your monster rigs is getting pretty fucking stale.

He's probably talking about the textures being optimized for a 1080p resolution. If it's really locked to play at 1080p max it will be easily modded by the community.

It should be very easy to remove the resolution restriction (if indeed there is one). So for those affected by this restriction how about supporting the port after PG does this really easy task? Seems fair to me.

Top Bottom