• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante pls: Metal Gear Rising PC won't support higher resolutions than 1080p

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm okay with 1080p. My monitors are 1200p, so that would be ideal, but I'm okay with 1080p. At least it's not 720p.

Still, Durante, if you want to help, please do.

ZeroX03

Banned
You'd likely be able to smoke this game at 4k with just two of those cards.

1380041_10202457878675537_124855495_n.jpg

Finished building it today, $18,000 machine.

i7-4960X, 64GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM, 4 x GTX780 Ti's, 4 x 512GB Samsung 840 EVOs in RAID, 4 x 3TB HDD, etc etc...

My home PC is more than capable(i7-3930k, 2 x MSI Lighting GTX680s) but hopefully there will be a mod in the future to make 4K doable.

I'm seriously blown away by the number of people going berserk in this thread over a resolution cap.

I mean it's obviously not a good thing but refusing to buy a great game because it's not optimized for high end monitors is kinda bonkers to me. Do you guys just base all of your purchases on image quality?

Personally I'm happy with 1080p and 60 fps although I can understand why some people would prefer more. It's just strange how many people in this thread are claiming it's 'shit' based on this. Time will tell whether this is actually a good port.

Also, not trying to be inflammatory but this 'Durante pls" stuff every time a PC port doesn't have every single feature and optimization for your monster rigs is getting pretty fucking stale.

Unlocked resolution options is not a feature of "monster rigs".
BlitzEngineer pls.

Goon Boon

Banned
Depends on support. Good chance its some bullshit like you have to edit a cfg file. I hope it supports 16:10 though.

Also, not trying to be inflammatory but this 'Durante pls" stuff every time a PC port doesn't have every single feature and optimization for your monster rigs is getting pretty fucking stale.

Shut the fuck up, support for all modern resolutions is a basic fucking feature, not some bell or whistle like PhysX or Steam Trading Cards.

Seanspeed

Banned
Maybe the graphics options (in game) only go to 1080p but you can get higher from an ini or cfg or something?

Shouldn't affect me as I have a 1680x1050 120hz monitor but obviously sucks for people with monitors about 1080p which seem quite common among people who end up actually buying a lot of PC games.
You're assuming 16:10 resolutions are supported. If 1200p isn't, there's a fair chance that 1050p isn't either. Aint out of the woods yet, brotha!

Anyways, its disappointing in that its showing that while some work went to make this a better port, its still not quite at the level it should be. A lot of Japanese devs *really* don't seem to get it or care enough.

Pey.

I have a 30" monitor and I play at 2560x1600 and games looks horrible when playing at 1920x1080. 1080p is not a PC standard, companies should know that if they´re going to make a PC port.

dmr87

RIP my 1440p screen.

Also this game has the potential to run at hundreds of FPS with its relatively low hardware requirements but it's probably locked at 60.

Oh well, we'll see what happens. If we don't get a fix for 1080p+ I'll just play it on the TV.

Alienous

i7-4960X, 64GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM, 4 x GTX780 Ti's, 4 x 512GB Samsung 840 EVOs in RAID, 4 x 3TB HDD, etc etc...

My home PC is more than capable(i7-3930k, 2 x MSI Lighting GTX680s) but hopefully there will be a mod in the future to make 4K doable.

You are the best kind of insane.

-MD-

I'm seriously blown away by the number of people going berserk in this thread over a resolution cap.

Eh who gives a shit about them if they're gonna be that anal about it, if they wanna skip the game because it's resolution capped that's their problem.

hoserx

I mean it's obviously not a good thing but refusing to buy a great game because it's not optimized for high end monitors is kinda bonkers to me. Do you guys just base all of your purchases on image quality?

Personally I'm happy with 1080p and 60 fps although I can understand why some people would prefer more. It's just strange how many people in this thread are claiming it's 'shit' based on this. Time will tell whether this is actually a good port.

it IS shit when your monitors native resolution is above 1080p. PC gamers playing PC games on high resolution panels are obviously concerned with image quality........ playing a game at that resolution on a 2560x1600 panel looks absolutely horrifying and makes the game an instant non-buy.

Nabs

iw2YE9EXr4pat.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i don't understand how or why you would program a maximum resolution into a game

or at least, i kind of understand why in old games they don't have 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions (like thief) because the idea of a widescreen monitor was TOTALLY UNIMAGINABLE

but for a game in 2013 to not have every resolution selectable is like, i feel as though putting in a resolution cap must actually be more effort and hard work than not having one. isn't there some kind of API hook for selecting resolutions these days?

BY2K

Membero Americo

Mother of God...

Momentary

Banned
People are getting a little too upset over what sounds like a WAY better situation that what happened with Dark Souls. It's kind of embarrassing reading peoples remarks over this. I harped over the crap that happened with Dark Souls, but these reactions are getting a little ridiculous.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I have a 30" monitor and I play at 2560x1600 and games looks horrible when playing at 1920x1080. 1080p is not a PC standard, companies should know that if they´re going to make a PC port.

What? I really doubt the majority of PC gamers have 1440p+ monitors

Alienous

People are getting a little too upset over what sounds like a WAY better situation that what happened with Dark Souls. It's kind of embarrassing reading peoples remarks over this. I harped over the crap that happened with Dark Souls, but these reactions are getting a little ridiculous.

Better than bad is automatically good?

Foaloal

My feelings can be described as equal parts jelly and awe.

Such an overkill PC, although I'm going to assume your job can somehow justify it.

Samsung 840 RAID? 64GB 2400Mhz RAM? I could cry it's so beautiful.

And a seasonic PSU? Such class.

Spaghetti

It should be very easy to remove the resolution restriction (if indeed there is one). So for those affected by this restriction how about supporting the port after PG does this really easy task? Seems fair to me.
i mean yes, it's most likely after the game releases that there will be a fix, or it'll be a simple case of some configuration, but what i'm worried about this that this hyperbolic "shit port" statement becomes a narrative that sabotages platinum's pc efforts before they even start

What he was trying to say was, PC monitors have been 16:10 before LCD panels got anywhere near your living room........ once that started happening, 16:9 pc monitors starte to pop up. Any PC developer worth their salt includes 16:10 resolutions for PC users who appreciate that aspect ratio. (like myself)

Well even Valve doesn't properly support 16:10 so I am not sure who you are left with anymore.

It's weird considering that previous resolution blocks for pc-ports were tied to the native resolution of the game on consoles (and Rising was 720p).

Seems like an arbitrary limitation.

Was thinking the same thing as well.

If it had been 720p only, then it would've followed a trend (that will hopefully stop) but capped at 1080p seems like a weird technical limitation.

Seanspeed

Banned
Eh who gives a shit about them if they're gonna be that anal about it, if they wanna skip the game because it's resolution capped that's their problem.
Its not being anal.

I have a feeling the vast majority of people saying this isn't an issue are not PC gamers.

Vitor711

Well better go game on consoles then. What a ridiculous attitude to have towards shit ports.

Ha - have you ever come across a 'shit port'? DS was a shit port, the new Typing of the Dead is a shit port, Deadly Premonition is a shit port.

This? A game with multiple graphics options and the most commonly used resolutions available? Jesus, hyperbole much?

Is it perfect? Hardly. It's far from a shit port however.

Caayn

So no eyefinity/surround support either? Well Time to call the modders

My home PC is more than capable(i7-3930k, 2 x MSI Lighting GTX680s) but hopefully there will be a mod in the future to make 4K doable.[/QUOTE][IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mel9r8zTkl1qhafj6.gif

Its not being anal.

I have a feeling the vast majority of people saying this isn't an issue are not PC gamers.

Or most of them have an inferior or equal resolution to 1080p and don't really care.
As i said, if this is really locked on released it will be easily solvable by the community.

Dawg

Its not being anal.

Don't know, vast majority of PC gamers I know have a 1080p monitor. Anything up is enthusiast mode. There's plenty of people with such monitors here on GAF, but even on steam only 1,5% have a monitor with a resolution higher than 1920x1080. The average pc gamer still uses a 1080p monitor. Hell, there's still people who don't even have 1080p.

I still agree they could have done better though, but at least it's not 720p. It's their first pc-port too, so I can understand it somehow. It's a Japanese dev, they already have a hard time understanding the "big pc culture" over here (I think) so I can understand they think 1080p is good enough :p

badb0y

To all the people saying "1080p is fine"

Why don't you play 720p games on your 1080p monitor and then tell me it's fine mothafucka.

ZeroX03

Banned
My feelings can be described as equal parts jelly and awe.

Such an overkill PC, although I'm going to assume your job can somehow justify it.

Samsung 840 RAID? 64GB 2400Mhz RAM? I could cry it's so beautiful.

And a seasonic PSU? Such class.

Believe me when I received the order for it my eyes popped out. Took me a good 3hrs or more to finish building it. That picture isn't even the finished product, I fixed up the cabling some more so it's REALLY neat. Also ran 3DMark11 Firestrike Extreme, it scored in the Top 40 PC's of all time, with everything at stock. Oh and the SSD RAID scored around 1800MB/s iirc?

1040855_10202457952237376_699500084_o.jpg

Foaloal

Its not being anal.

I think largely it's that even though many of us have resolutions above 1080p or different then 16:9., it's easy to not care if you have a 1080p screen.

While I think "shit port" is going pretty far, I think it's pretty reasonably to have a resounding "why?" when they say it's locked at 1080p.

I get that they might only have 1080p monitors, but do you really need a 4K monitor to test if your game correctly runs at that resolution? Durante doesn't have a 4K monitor, but he's made patches that run games at that resolution (and probably higher).

Its not being anal.

I do probably 90% of my gaming on PC. I have a 1080p monitor and a reasonable PC, nothing impressive. The idea that every PC gamer is concerned with IQ to the level that some people freaking out over this are is kinda silly.

godhard

Neo Member
Its not being anal.

And probably true.

Not every pc gamer fills these in or even uses steam, won't make those the most common resolutions regardless but to actually trust those surveys is insane.

I'm not sure you know how statistics work.... anyway it's pretty indicative that most people play on 1080p on pc, PG playing to the majority here no matter how you look at it.

DieH@rd

Banned

tumblr_mq4ou32iW51qcga5ro1_500.gif

excuse me while i wash this cum stain off my pants

Top Bottom