• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante pls: Metal Gear Rising PC won't support higher resolutions than 1080p

1380041_10202457878675537_124855495_n.jpg

Finished building it today, $18,000 machine.

i7-4960X, 64GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM, 4 x GTX780 Ti's, 4 x 512GB Samsung 840 EVOs in RAID, 4 x 3TB HDD, etc etc...

My home PC is more than capable(i7-3930k, 2 x MSI Lighting GTX680s) but hopefully there will be a mod in the future to make 4K doable.
^
Screw_the_rules_I_have_money_by_dhruve4c.jpg

Alienous

Meh, at least they're doing progress with 60 FPS and 1080p support. Durante would prolly just help about 3.0% of the player base if he did do a quick fix. Does he get donations of some sort? The people that are begging and putting other people down about the situation better get on that.

Sounds like it'll be a better port than a few American developed games already.

DAT RIG ABOVE, THO HNNNNNGGGG--

This is perhaps the first post on NeoGAF with perfect comedic timing.

Dude, I'm on a train and I could resist laughing out loud.

Shengar

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1380041_10202457878675537_124855495_n.jpg[IMG]

i7-4960X, 64GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM, 4 x GTX780 Ti's, 4 x 512GB Samsung 840 EVOs in RAID, 4 x 3TB HDD, etc etc...

My home PC is more than capable(i7-3930k, 2 x MSI Lighting GTX680s) but hopefully there will be a mod in the future to make 4K doable.[/QUOTE]
Holy
Fuckin'
Shit
I really wish I have the right gif to express my feeling for seeing this

Ha - have you ever come across a 'shit port'? DS was a shit port, the new Typing of the Dead is a shit port, Deadly Premonition is a shit port.

This? A game with multiple graphics options and the most commonly used resolutions available? Jesus, hyperbole much?

Is it perfect? Hardly. It's far from a shit port however.

Resolution is basic PC standard. It could have every single setting under the sun but if I can't choose it at my resolution what's the point?

kudoboi

My home PC is more than capable(i7-3930k, 2 x MSI Lighting GTX680s) but hopefully there will be a mod in the future to make 4K doable.

i wish i had disposable income :(

epmode

No, is there even an easy way to find out without launching games to check?

I figured it might be on some webpage.

Anyway, I have a 2560x1600 monitor and far too many PC games. I can barely think of any 3D games from the last generation that don't support my native resolution. Dark Souls, Typing of the Dead: Overkill, Deadly Premonition... Saints Row 2? I know there's one or two more.

Point is, it's not common at all.

manzo

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

That rig surely is ready for Doom 3.

Goon Boon

Banned

Oh my fucking god.

The CPU is $1000, and the video cards are $700 each, so thats $3800. $2000 for the EVOs makes that $5800. Probably $250 for the Seasonic Makes it $6050.

This means the case, the cooling, the normal 3TB hdd's, and the assumed Blu-Ray drives, monitor, and keyboard/mouse, which is obviously not fucking possible unless you bought a few optimus maximus keyboards, it probably cost about $3000 tops for the rest unless you're omitting any info.

If you made this at a customer's request, you likely made $9000 for labor, which is fucking insane

hoserx

Oh my fucking god.

The CPU is $1000, and the video cards are $700 each, so thats $3800. $2000 for the EVOs makes that $5800. Probably $250 for the Seasonic Makes it $6050.

This means the case, the cooling, the normal 3TB hdd's, and the assumed Blu-Ray drives, monitor, and keyboard/mouse, which is obviously not fucking possible unless you bought a few optimus maximus keyboards, it probably cost about $3000 tops for the rest unless you're omitting any info.

If you made this at a customer's request, you likely made $9000 for labor, which is fucking insane

Yeah I was trying to add it up, too. Also, all of this stuff, air cooled gpus with an all in one cpu "water cooling" kit?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I figured it might be on some webpage.

Anyway, I have a 2560x1600 monitor and far too many PC games. I can barely think of any 3D games from the last generation that don't support my native resolution. Dark Souls, Typing of the Dead: Overkill, Deadly Premonition... Saints Row 2? I know there's one or two more.

Point is, it's not common at all.

You seemed to missed the point of my post. Much like the person before me I'm not saying this is acceptable. Hopefully Platinum can find the time to patch this them-selves.

Foaloal

Oh my fucking god.

He said there is a 4K monitor I believe.
That's gotta add several thousands on to the price.

I also just remembered that "super PC" that PCgamer or somebody made. Pretty sure that thing wasn't quite at the level of this one, though I think it had 4 titans or 4 780s as well.

Zia

Um. Wow.

Anyway (washes face, lights cigarette), between this and the interview that went up today with the Dark Souls producer in which he basically says, "Oh yeah! The PC port was so rushed, and there's absolutely no way we could have someone competent working on it for eight hours, which is actually much more time than it took for a fan to fix the shitty job we'd done! And, despite the game continuously selling, we're obviously never going to take a day to fix it!" I'm pretty hopeless about any Japanese port going forward. Unless it's an outside studio like Sumo handling a Japanese IP, they just seem absolutely clueless.

Dizzle24

In this thread: people complaining about nothing.

"Wow. 1080p max resolution? such sadness. my monitor am cry."

I doubt anyone can even notice a difference between 1080p and 1440 while the game is in motion.

Be glad you have a gaming pc! Some of us are stuck with peasant consoles!

Goon Boon

Banned
He said there is a 4K monitor I believe.
That's gotta add several thousands on to the price.

I also just remembered that "super PC" that PCgamer or somebody made. Pretty sure that thing wasn't quite at the level of this one, though I think it had 4 titans or 4 780s as well.

I was assuming they got some $1000 monitor, but the only two 4k resolution monitors on newegg are $2500 and $3500. So add $2000 to my estimate, 7k for labor.

hoserx

I doubt anyone can even notice a difference between 1080p and 1440 while the game is in motion.

Joke post?

Nethaniah

Monitors don't upscale like tv's.

Also that avatar says it all.

Miguel81

It's good enough for now. But in 5 years I might want to play it at 4k, and then 8k after that. Proper scaling is a beautiful thing.

Haunted

Yeah, but can it run Crysis?

Oh my fucking god.

Yup lol , I was about to say whoever is buying that thing is overpaying so much it's not even funny
did you at least give him some 10 dollar quality aftermarket case fans for his 7000-9000 dollar premium?

Um. Wow.

Anyway (washes face, lights cigarette), between this and the interview that went up today with Dark Souls in which he basically says, "Oh yeah! The PC port was so rushed, and there's absolutely no way we could have someone competent working on it for eight hours, which is actually much more time than it took for a fan to fix the shitty job we 'd done! And, despite the game continuously selling, we're obviously never going to take a day to fix it!" I'm pretty hopeless about any Japanese port going forward. Unless it's an outside studio like Sumo handling a Japanese IP, they just seem absolutely clueless.

The only possible reason i can imagine, apart from restriction for the sake of restriction, is that the game assets don't scale well above 1080p, but nearly every game native assets/textures should be created at much higher res on pcs if i'm not wrong...

Seanspeed

Banned
I agree with you. Doesn't constitute the hyperbolic response of almost the entire first page of this thread being filled with "shit port, canceled preorder" posts.

Mostly I felt the need to defend it because the game is great, Platinum is one of my favorite devs right now, and it really seems to me that they're trying to do a good job with bringing this game to PC. I feel the need to support it because while I don't expect Platinum's first PC game to be perfect, it seems like they are putting real effort into it which is more than I can say for most console-to-PC ports this past gen, from any developer, let alone a Japanese one.
Well see, this is the part in contention here. They are *not* doing as much as a normal PC port usually does. Its better than Deadly Premonition and Dark Souls and yes, they've put some work into it, but its still behind what PC gamers expect of a PC port.

For people who aren't buying it because it doesn't support native res of their monitor, I cant blame them. But since so many people are quick to point out that these people are a small minority, then logically, their non-purchases shouldn't make a big impact on the sales of the game, should it? So don't worry if they don't buy it.

Foaloal

Joke post?

He did imply he was stuck with a "peasant console" so if he completely ignored the infinite number of posts explaining why XBone having 720p games wasn't super cool then it's possible he's not joking. Either way, at least he didn't say anything particularly rude, bigoted, or as a matter of fact, like some people ignoring resolution differences do.

I was assuming they got some $1000 monitor, but the only two 4k resolution monitors on newegg are $2500 and $3500. So add $2000 to my estimate, 7k for labor.

It's also possible he's not talking about USD, although I assume he is.

If he did make 7k on labor (seems like the PC is at his work, and he can play it himself, so guessing it wasn't to sell to a customer) then well done by him.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm seriously blown away by the number of people going berserk in this thread over a resolution cap.

I mean it's obviously not a good thing but refusing to buy a great game because it's not optimized for high end monitors is kinda bonkers to me. Do you guys just base all of your purchases on image quality?

Personally I'm happy with 1080p and 60 fps although I can understand why some people would prefer more. It's just strange how many people in this thread are claiming it's 'shit' based on this. Time will tell whether this is actually a good port.

Also, not trying to be inflammatory but this 'Durante pls" stuff every time a PC port doesn't have every single feature and optimization for your monster rigs is getting pretty fucking stale.

They probably do. And why shouldn't they?
That's the reason they spent money on 1440p and 2100p monitors.

And people only (seriously) call on Durante to fix two things. The two most basic things in PC games.
Unlocked resolution and unlocked framerate.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh my fucking god.

You must understand that I reside in Australia so prices are jacked up. Parts all up, including the $4000+ monitor he purchased(Dell UP3214Q), Cyborg RAT9, STRIKE7 Keyboard, ASUS Xonar Sound Card, Win 8.1 Pro, Case etc etc equaled to roughly ~15-16k. He literally purchased the best that money could buy, aside from a proper liquid cooling system and other tidbits.

Oh and we have a similar configuration as a display system, albeit it's running an i7-4770k and only two 840 EVOs in RAID. Still beast!

Yoday

Honestly, I would hardly put this at the top of Durante's to-do list.

Not accepting resolutions above 720 is unacceptable but, over 1080, that's a luxury that not that many people can make use of. Sure, ideally the support would be there, but it's not a make or break type situation as previous poor PC ports were.
I agree. There is a huge difference between being locked at 720p and having 1080p being the max resolution. The vast majority of people are not going to have displays above 1080p. I would be surprised if more than 1% of PC gamers had displays over 1080p. Luckily the modding community is there to support that tiny fraction of people that will care about resolutions higher than 1080p.

Liha

Banned

insane but why no water cooling?
wody1w1bjsfc.gif

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
They probably do. And why shouldn't they?
That's the reason they spent money on 1440p and 2100p monitors.

And people only (seriously) call on Durante to fix two things. The two most basic things in PC games.
Unlocked resolution and unlocked framerate.

Except Durante doesn't know how to unlock framerate

I mean it's obviously not a good thing but refusing to buy a great game because it's not optimized for high end monitors is kinda bonkers to me. Do you guys just base all of your purchases on image quality?

yes...we judge these games by the criteria of frame rate, resolution, gunplay, and number of dungeons.

Welcome to NeoGAF!

You must understand that I reside in Australia so prices are jacked up. Parts all up, including the $4000+ monitor he purchased(Dell UP3214Q), Cyborg RAT9, STRIKE7 Keyboard, ASUS Xonar Sound Card, Win 8.1 Pro, Case etc etc equaled to roughly ~15-16k. He literally purchased the best that money could buy, aside from a proper liquid cooling system and other tidbits.

Oh and we have a similar configuration as a display system, albeit it's running an i7-4770k and only two 840 EVOs in RAID. Still beast!

I can't believe I am saying this, but if he's just using that rig for games, it's such an awful waste.

Is he a 3D modeler or something?

hoserx

If I was just going to play games at 1080p, I'd probably be happy just with my ps4 at this point. My PC, and the PCs of many NeoGAF users are there for us to have experiences with fidelity much higher than what's available in a $400 box. That's part of why we pc game. So you can see why this would be upsetting to many of us.

I agree with you. Doesn't constitute the hyperbolic response of almost the entire first page of this thread being filled with "shit port, canceled preorder" posts.

Mostly I felt the need to defend it because the game is great, Platinum is one of my favorite devs right now, and it really seems to me that they're trying to do a good job with bringing this game to PC. I feel the need to support it because while I don't expect Platinum's first PC game to be perfect, it seems like they are putting real effort into it which is more than I can say for most console-to-PC ports this past gen, from any developer, let alone a Japanese one.

Platinum is one of my favorite devs too
But I care about proper pc game functionality WAY more than about their games

I'd see platinum, valve, capcom and nadeo go out of business and never make a game again any day over seeing pc games lose basic functionality like what's been the standard in pc gaming for 20 years
Developers come and go, standards are forever

most of my favorite psx/ps2 era pc and console devs are now gone, it'll happen again like clockwork

hoserx

yes...we judge these games by the criteria of frame rate, resolution, gunplay, and number of dungeons.

Welcome to NeoGAF!

We are judging this game by COMPATIBILITY. it is NOT compatible with our monitors. The games become a MESS when you play them on a non native resolution! It is unplayable, and causes eye strain.

Goon Boon

Banned

Oh, my bad, saw the dollar symbol and figured "OBVIOUSLY AMERICA". Sucks for Australia though, a nearly 50% overhead.

ZeroX03

Banned
I can't believe I am saying this, but if he's just using that rig for games, it's such an awful waste.

Is he a 3D modeler or something?

I had a lengthy chat with the customer. From what I gathered from his replies he really didn't care how much he spent, as long as he had the best. He apparently does a lot of Virtual Machine, which would make sense for the RAM but four 780 Ti's? Massive waste. Probably a LoL player.

hoserx

I had a lengthy chat with the customer. From what I gathered from his replies he really didn't care how much he spent, as long as he had the best. He apparently does a lot of Virtual Machine, which would make sense for the RAM but four 780 Ti's? Massive waste. Probably a LoL player.

lol, he could run 10 LoL clients.

He's probably a bitcoin miner and was just embarrassed to say that. :lol

Top Bottom