• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durarara!! |OT| Motorcycles, Mythology, Mass-murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

61bFEJPREAL.jpg
51iv8ERRbGL.jpg

Durarara!! (デュラララ!!), often shortened to DRRR!!, is a Japanese light novel series written by Ryohgo Narita, with illustrations by Suzuhito Yasuda(Devil Survivor), that has also been adapted into a Japanese anime series. Durarara!! tells the story of a Dullahan working as an underworld courier in Ikebukuro, an internet-based anonymous gang called The Dollars, and the chaos that unfolds around the most dangerous people in Ikebukuro.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/durarara

Both Seasons 1 and 2 are on Crunchyroll if you're so inclined.
A new season is airing right now!

It's also dubbed and subbed, and though they did a solid job on the dub, I slightly prefer the sub, since the dub is pretty much every usual suspect in the book (Patrick Seitz, Steve Blum, etc.).

If you're at all familiar with the similarly excellent Baccano, this was done by the same writer & animation team(and even includes cameos!), so rest assured, these guys can handle massive casts and chaotic, entwining plots.

latest

The Players

he2m3Qu.jpg

Technically the main character, though that's a technicality with an ensemble cast like this.
An unassuming student caught up in the strange events of Ikebukuro all because a friend invited him to attend classes there.

3X8uUnR.jpg

Mikado's best friend. Whimsical and flirtatious to a fault, but what does he know about the mysterious Yellow Scarves gang?

PCnpexl.jpg

Attends classes with Mikado and Masaomi. Very shy and withdrawn, though there's a whole other side to her in certain circles of Ikebukuro...

eDjFIYA.jpg

A wandering psychopath who seems to know everyone and everything of note in Ikebukuro. Also the constant target of...

V7hsVvQ.jpg

A bartender/peacekeeper who possesses superhuman strength and durability. He always tries to kill Izaya on sight(and always fails).

aUF3sPs.jpg

A member of the same group as Shizuo. Tries to keep him in check, rarely succeeds.

mPRjLwQ.jpg

Shizuo's older brother, a famous actor, just so happens to be in a relationship with...

O6nz2QP.jpg

A reclusive idol, but there's much more to her than just a falling star.

yJc5lKx.jpg

Sushi! Russian Sushi!

hgBrBZg.jpg

A pharmaceutical exec who works with Izaya. Or at least lets him crash at her place.

tXEgGxD.jpg

Namie's brother, and his significant other; a girl so enamored with Seiji that she changed her face for him.

iI4Qz9l.jpg

A roaming Dullahan in search of her head, who now takes the form of a headless motorcyclist. Although she can't talk, she can certainly text... at 120 WPM.

DzoO2jv.jpg

More of a mercenary than a cop, he's dead set on claiming Celty's head.

kQKouod.jpg

All members of the Dollars. Will help anyone in need, in between eating sushi and reading manga.

imMNQmC.jpg

A street doctor who took in Celty. They seem to be a perfect match, but is it love... or just science?

1ofqqTR.jpg

Shinra's crazy father, very paranoid about the atmosphere.

w5ZyyFm.jpg

Izaya's kid sisters; arguably crazier than him.

ClgHTnd.jpg

A Russian assassin who came to Ikebukuro for a ransom job, and wound up messing with the wrong family...

OQYyk4X.jpg

The 'most dangerous man in Ikebukuro', at least among the Yakuza.

That's maybe a quarter of the cast of the show, but it does a good job of giving everyone equal time and development.
(I'll expand to the Season /X2 cast if preferable, but I tried to focus on S1 for newcomers' sake.)

Open to suggestions for content, but here's some fantastic music from Season 1's second half.

ROOKiEZ is Punk'd - Complication

Butterfly by On/Off

Sadly nothing in X2 is as good as those two tracks, but the OPs are fun as ever.

I suggest tagging spoilers for anything in X2, but again, open to suggestion.

SystemBug

I watched it until it went from being a cool mystery like anime with super natural elements to genericness

cj_iwakura

I watched it until it went from being a cool mystery like anime with super natural elements to genericness

I don't see what makes it generic... there's still lots of enjoyable characters, especially the Izaya twins, Jinnai, and the Russian posse.

And the Yakuza of course.

saunderez

I actually think the fact that the supernatural becomes common place is my favourite part of the series. Who would've thought Celty would turn out to be the most grounded character in the whole series?

I prefer the dubbed, varona and others are so good in it and I think the story is easier to follow that way.

Though I watch but sub and dubbed, even if the difference is only a few weeks.

Started reading v1 of the novel since it just release here in America last month.

tauke

Replying for auto subscribe to thread. I got hooked with the anime when S1 is running and enjoyed the non linear presentation of the story.

This reminds me I need to watch the last two episode of the latest season.

openrob

Watched most of the first season, but didn't finish it (it's a habit of mine lol). Was pretty good though. Need to get back into it

cj_iwakura

I wanted to expand the cast section, but I got around 20 images in before I realized it'd be like a mile long. Oh well, I'll at least clean it up some.

DurararaX2-2 19

Izaya's playing the long game.

blakep267

One of my all time favorites. For people that don't have crunchy roll season 1 and the first half of season 2 are also on Netflix

cj_iwakura

Added Varona and Mizuki, I think that covers the most important bases, aside from maybe Hollywood and Masaomi's gf.

So, favourite OP/ED?

OP3 "Headhunt" is probably my favourite OP, though they are all pretty amazing.

While ED3 is my probably my favourite ED. The third arc was probably my least favourite arc, but it had the absolute best music.

Also here's a video that examines Baccano's OP and contrasts and compares it to Durarara's original OP, it's quite interesting.

Definitely OP2/ED2. The OP always gets me going, and the ED has this great melancholic vibe to it. Both suit the images beautifully.

Full ver of Complication.

Razmos

I think Ruri should be added to the OT too since she's a rather unique character
being a vampire and all

Kvik

So I took a break on the weekend of playing Bloodborne to catch up with Durarara (I'm up to Season 1, Episode 5) -- I ended up watching up to Episode 13 and I was impressed so far, so I want to post my impressions in the OT (rather than making a LTTP thread)

But now that I am here, this thread didn't even go past the first page! Why aren't people watching this show? It's great. (I know I'm probably part of the problem as well)

Anyway, I know that this anime has a lot of characters so it's probably a bit hard to follow for some people. (I probably need a cheatsheet myself for the first few episode), I particularly like Izaya's character as the agent of chaos (or order? -- I don't know). I didn't like Kido as much, though. His shtick gets rather tiring after awhile.

Can't wait to get into it some more tonight.

cj_iwakura

So I took a break on the weekend of playing Bloodborne to catch up with Durarara (I'm up to Season 1, Episode 5) -- I ended up watching up to Episode 13 and I was impressed so far, so I want to post my impressions in the OT (rather than making a LTTP thread)

But now that I am here, this thread didn't even go past the first page! Why aren't people watching this show? It's great. (I know I'm probably part of the problem as well)

Anyway, I know that this anime has a lot of characters so it's probably a bit hard to follow for some people. (I probably need a cheatsheet myself for the first few episode), I particularly like Izaya's character as the agent of chaos (or order? -- I don't know). I didn't like Kido as much, though. His shtick gets rather tiring after awhile.

Can't wait to get into it some more tonight.

Didn't help that no one made an OT until now. :p I'm not sure why, myself.

Kvik

Episode 14 - 16

I can't handle all these twists and turns. I like how both Mikado and Kida are rallying their respective gang because Anri was hurt, without knowing she is practically the "mother" of the 3rd gang.

Of course Izaya is still the puppetmaster behind all this. Delicious

cj_iwakura

Episode 14 - 16

I can't handle all these twists and turns. I like how both Mikado and Kida are rallying their respective gang because Anri was hurt, without knowing she is practically the "mother" of the 3rd gang.

Of course Izaya is still the puppetmaster behind all this. Delicious

It bears such delicious fruit in X2.

I just started this, but still sitting on the fence whether I should continue. Hasn't quite grabbed me yet. Maybe I'll finish Nana first and decide.

Kvik

Episode 17 - 20

I don't know how Masaomi has managed to gather so many yellow scarves members before Saki's kidnapping. The guy isn't exactly leader material. Consequently, Izaya's genius stroke in creating an artificial conflict between the three gangs is solely depending on the fact that nobody has direct control over their crew since Yellow Scarves has been infiltrated by remnants of the Blue Squares and The Dollars has grown bigger (in part because of Izaya's own involvement) and practically a faceless entity.

I'm keen to see how Masaomi will react now, since Izaya has revealed who the leader of The Dollars is.

Kvik

It's only me again, huh.

Episode 21 - 24

I don't know if I like the status quo at the end. Masaomi got his redemption, Mikado got the girl (sort of), and Izaya kept being Izaya. Still don't understand why Yagiri is helping Saki, but stays with Izaya. Probably will be explained in X2. I'd still prefer 13.5 as an epilogue, though.

Onto X2!

cj_iwakura

It's only me again, huh.

Episode 21 - 24

I don't know if I like the status quo at the end. Masaomi got his redemption, Mikado got the girl (sort of), and Izaya kept being Izaya. Still don't understand why Yagiri is helping Saki, but stays with Izaya. Probably will be explained in X2. I'd still prefer 13.5 as an epilogue, though.

Onto X2!

X2 gets so crazy you might wind up being nostalgic for how neatly X1 wrapped things up. It does add some of the best characters, though.

DRRR is one of my favorite things ever, had no idea the novels were being localized either! Any point to picking up the manga in light of these releases?

The art, maybe? I'm definitely leaning towards the novels, though.

I dont know if Im really happy that FLOW is doing the music for the next season of DRRR. The first group for DRRR s2 already gave the best OP song for DRRR [Headhunt - Okamoto's] Its like perfect.

The staff for the Durarara!!×2 Ketsu TV anime series announced at an event in Yokohama on Sunday that FLOW will perform the opening theme song "Steppin' Out" and PENGUIN RESEARCH will perform the ending theme song "Joker ni Yoroshiku" (Say Hello to Joker) for the series.

RedSwirl

I just got caught up. I think I'm finally prepared to say I completely lost track of the plot somewhere around the beginning of x2 and just went along with the flow for the entire thing.

Somebody's gonna need to make a flowchart for the whole thing.

So does this pick up? Watched up to the 11th episode years ago but then dropped it. It's kinda of a chore getting to episode 11 of season 1 now that it's on Netflix but I'm trying to force it in hopes that it gets good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom