• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

jesu

Nice, I'll be getting that.

Dear Dying Light fan,

If you’re dying for more zombie action, fear no more – your thirst will be quenched on May 26th, 2015. On that day, we’ll release our latest Dying Light DLC – The Bozak Horde. In that brand-new mode, you enter the infamous Harran Stadium and take on a series of twisted challenges laid out by a deeply-troubled psychopath named Bozak.

The Bozak Horde will be free for all Season Pass holders and available as a separate purchase at 9.99 USD / 9.99 EUR / 6.99 GBP. The DLC is playable both in single-player and co-op, but we do recommend playing in a team – Bozak’s sadistic trials are no walk in the park!

BuzzZaw75

Neo Member
The game has been out now for awhile but a few of us were looking for a solid co-op experience and looked at this game again (PS4). We're fans of the L4D series and played the heck out-of-it on the 360. We're looking at this for straight up co-op so how is this up to now?

We saw this new Borak mode coming and might be even more worth it but really haven't heard much about the game at all over the last month or so. We were thinking Assassins Creed Unity but the co-op part is different from the SP in a way. So is this pretty good overall for 2-4 players and does everything you do in SP and co-op move over?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You can do the entire game in co-op if you want with the exception of the last mission.

And all your stats should move.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
OK, so I am having a sound issue I think. For whatever reason, 5.1 sounds like it is clipping with this game while I have no issues with any other game I have played on my PS4. I am using HDMI and the PS4 is set to Linear PCM. If I change it to DTS it is fine, but I don't really want to do that for one game. This issue is most noticeable with sounds close to the camera (which would also be the loudest). Anyone have any ideas?

Philia

Just want to post in this thread and say that my husband and I absolutely love this game! Its a very underrated hit for us. Its a game that hits all the right marks especially that steep learning curve in the beginning and nighttime... it constantly challenging that makes me want to play more of it. Its just fantastic improvement all around from Dead Island.

Megatron

Just want to post in this thread and say that my husband and I absolutely love this game! Its a very underrated hit for us. Its a game that hits all the right marks especially that steep learning curve in the beginning and nighttime... it constantly challenging that makes me want to play more of it. Its just fantastic improvement all around from Dead Island.

Yeah, I agree with this. It's also pretty long! I just got to the part where
Jade dies
and I was sure this had to be the end! Nope, still going!

Megatron

Is the Season Pass worth getting for $14? It's on sale this week on PSN.

I don't own the pass myself, but it looks like you get a horde mode, 7 new weapons and 2 missions. Seems really skimpy if that's all you get. If you have friends who will play through the horde mode, then maybe. It is normally $19.99 so not even that great a discount. I personally probably would because my friend I am playing through the game with has it, but I'm not excited by that amount of content. Especially from a game that IMO already has so much content.

MrDaravon

I don't own the pass myself, but it looks like you get a horde mode, 7 new weapons and 2 missions. Seems really skimpy if that's all you get. If you have friends who will play through the horde mode, then maybe. It is normally $19.99 so not even that great a discount. I personally probably would because my friend I am playing through the game with has it, but I'm not excited by that amount of content. Especially from a game that IMO already has so much content.

Yeah, I wish we knew how good the upcoming horde mode DLC is going to be. As far as I can tell the first DLC is just two Quarantine Zones so that's like 15 minutes of content, and the 2nd DLC is just outfits/gear which is eh. If the last DLC is good and worth getting at it's base price of $10 I'd be willing to drop the extra $4 for the pass, but no way of knowing that yet.

MrDaravon

Surprised this thread is so dead, especially with the DLC that came out this week?

Just finished the game, for the most part it's a fantastic improvement over Dead Island. By far my two biggest gripes are Boomers and Demolishers, both of which I consider to be total horseshit. Boomers are near silent, and if they're around a corner or in an enclosed area you're pretty much gonna die. I probably have dropped maybe 40-50 hours into the game so far, have died maybe 15-20 times, and like 10 of them were Boomers one shotting me. It's ridiculous. Demolishers are also horeshit, but I can't tell if maybe there's something else to them that makes it easier to deal with them at range? At the end game I can kill them in maybe 3 hits (one to knock the helmet off, then one or two melee hits to the head will do it), but it can be very tricky to do so and they can also very easily kill you. I tried guns, tons of bombs/grenades, etc and they all seemed to take a million shots/explosions to kill them. Not sure if I'm missing an easier option there?

Other than that most of my complaints are pretty minor nitpicks:

-No idea why Agility takes so incredibly long to level up, or conversely why Power levels so fast? I had Power at level 24 and my Agility was still only at 15. When I hit Survivor 25 I still was only at Agility 22, and I'm always out at night etc. It only kinda sucks because the Agility 24 perk would be incredibly useful, but I would be at 100% completion of all optional content before I even get it, making it a complete moot point.

-It would be nice if the game paused or went into slo-mo or something when you brought up your weapon/item menus; sometimes I would be in some kind of shit and very quickly would need to bring up a gun to take care of a boomer, or switch to or from a grappling hook etc because I was getting swamped and it's just not practical.

-Menus could be better, mostly the crafting/mod and quest menus. Having to scroll through a ton of mods and craftable gear (even when sorting by type) is a minor annoyance. The quest menu is more annoying since it lists active/ongoing Challenges below completed quests for some godforsaken reason, and this is even worse now with the last patch making Quarantine Zones repeatable which added a whole other category above active Challenges.

-Even at this point I still have issues sometimes with the grappling hook where there is no goddamn reason why I shouldn't be able to grapple to this ledge and grab it and pull myself up, but I'll do the grapple and be unable to grab the ledge and fall for major damage/death. It's inconsistent, and if it's something I'm doing wrong I have no idea what it is.

-It's somewhat ridiculous that the game has no sort of in-game map you can buy or unlock for the collectibles (statues, flags, notes etc), especially given how incredibly fucking ridiculously a lot of them are hidden. Without using any guides I've finished the story mode and all of the side quests and have about 55/100 statues, and maybe about 75% of the notes and blueprints. It's super crazy, I have absolutely no idea how a sane person would be able to do it without a guide.

-A lot of the Challenges were total horseshit and just incredibly hard or frustrating for a variety of reasons (some of the Psycho ones being a good and common example).

All in all had a great time with it though. I just beat the story mode, I've done all of the side quests and have most of the Challenges done. Not sure if I'm going to going for 100%, especially with that one super fucked co-op trophy. There's also trophies for doing all of the Parkour missions, including one for doing all of them at night, and outright fuck that. I wanted to throw my controller out the window doing them during the day, by the hardest thing in the game IMO and I think it may have broken me from going for 100%.

pa22word

Anyone try out the new horde mode thing yet? It's been out on pc since Monday or so, but I wanted to hear if it was worth it before buying it.

lunchtoast

I'm on the mission where you have to get a sample from a Bolter. I've been to several of their feeding grounds at night but they never show up. I don't know if it's an issue with the game or I'm doing something wrong. I'm playing on PC.

edit - it was a mod i was using

M.D

Anyone else has their game crash on PC? happened once after I just got into the game and barely moved, and now when I was on a mission fighting some guys

Both times the entire screen suddenly turned orange and this time the 360 controller wouldn't stop vibrating even after I went back to desktop

Dimorphic

So I just picked this up and I must say I am loving it so far. The game is built for co-op and after smashing a good 3 hour session today with my mate I am keen to play more and more.

Can I ask if the season pass DLC is worth it?

JoeNut

So i am extremely close to the end.

thanks whoever tipped camo at night, i'd not even considered that.

My EXP farming tip is, go camo, throw a load of firecrackers into one of the squares/freeway areas where there are hundreds of zombies, then use a 2 handed weapon to do the spin attack move right in the centre of them, literally thousands of exp in seconds.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I had a blast playing it by myself in singleplayer although you can't get all trophies/achievements if that matters at all.

Not fussed bout them just the experience i want. Just wondered if its stil grest in single which sounds likely

Not fussed bout them just the experience i want. Just wondered if its stil grest in single which sounds likely

So from my playthrough of it, I loved the movement [parkour/freerunning], the crafting and the combat. Although the combat is quite limiting at first but once you start to level up you get quite powerful and it's fun to stomp around although there are still areas that will test you. The crafting is decent and there are quite a lot of weapon combos to make which is cool.

The story and the characters in my opinion are pretty weak. There's also some parts of the story missions that I found to be too cinematic and a bit of a chore [doesn't happen too often though] but I still think the game is fantastic for what it tries to be, an open world free running zombie free for all with focus on melee weapons. There are guns too which are quite powerful but sounds/noises attract certain harder zombies so use guns strategically.

skybald

Was going to try for the platinum but trying to climb the height of Mount Everest is just too much. Would take a couple of hours of grinding and that is well after beating the game. The only trophy so far that would be hard to get.

JoeNut

OK i've finished..spoilers ahead

So wtf was that ending, really? i think the camoflage skill has completely ruined the horror of this game, the bit where you get chased by virals right at the end, if you're camo'd up, they just stand and look at you. so that ruined that bit for me, then the actual story bit just sucked really, a QTE to kill the main bad guy you've been after the whole game ends up being a 'press these 4 buttons to kill' ? and then you just call up some guy you met an hour ago and tell him he can have the cure instead of the GRE getting it?it all seemed very lacklustre, which is a shame because i have enjoyed the actual gameplay immensely. Rant over.

7/10

Megatron

Any general tips, just got this game last night.

Should I search for that EXPcalibur thingy?

It's not really necessary. You will go through and find tons of weapons. I guess my tip is to go at the game slow and steady. It definitely improves as you unlock new skills. If you have someone to play with, the game is even more fun that way.

BouncyFrag

Can't remember exactly, but probably not quite half.

Finally got the Everest achievement. What was funny was that it popped when I climbed on top of a van. So dramatic. Haha
Great! I've been playing this a lot but mostly just running around and doing side quests. Its fun being powerful now as that first night whipped my ass. I've been doing the companion app stuff since its free/easy and extra crafting materials is never a bad thing but missions now taking 12hours is a bit much 0_o .

Patchy

Banned
Recently picked this up on PC, really like it.

Feels like the game Dead Island should have been.

Anyone else having issues where the game drops to 30 FPS for no reason at all for a few seconds then is ok?

Impulsor

Recently picked this up on PC, really like it.

Feels like the game Dead Island should have been.

Anyone else having issues where the game drops to 30 FPS for no reason at all for a few seconds then is ok?

I picked up the game recently and I don't have that issue.

I have 4790K, GTX 980 ti and 16 GB of RAM if that helps.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Thinking back on this game after some months now... I don't like the decision to include the nighttime virals.

The regular zombies are pretty fun in and of themselves, and adding in the dark atmosphere adds to it even more.

The choice to make nighttime a chase sequence turned me off in the end. This is just my opinion, but I wanted a zombie game I guess. And only got half of one.

Virals (which btw were super generic looking and unashamedly aped from Blade 2) were just not very fun over the long run, were easy to manipulate (Camo ability actually breaks the gameplay around them) and remind me of the Bat Tank in Arkham Knight... in the sense it's the one thing probably keeping me from replaying the game a bunch, or caring about their DLC and possibly even future games.

I think in the future I'd want to see more emphasis on grappling and close-quarters combat, herds of reg zombies, etc. I like the idea of night being scary. I don't really like it being a chase sequence.

Just one guy's opinion. It comes after I had an urge to reinstall the game earlier and then opted not to after thinking about it.

Elitist1945

So I'm in the mission where I need to plant the bombs in the nest or whatever, but due to me having died a few times and restarting, my weapons are now broken and irreparable. And, as far as I can tell, there's no option to stop the mission, and I don't see a chapter select anywhere.

Any ideas? Right now its Live Die Repeat.

Teggy

So I think the last time I played this game was April 1 and I booted it up today and it still seems to have the crazy physics when I kick the infected. Is there any way to make sure that it's turned off? They didn't add it as a toggle or something, right?

Edit: ah, it looks like this is some sort of "hyper crane" weekend.

Lingitiz

Just finished this up. The story was really awful, with a terrible main character and one dimensional supporting cast. Rais was a comically dumb bad guy and the entire ending sequence
QTE
had me laughing at how lame it was.

Parkour system was really fun, combat not so much. Guns were fun for a short while especially after feeling weak for most of the game. And goddamn is that double-barrelled shotgun a piece of shit. Really one of the worst shotguns in any game ever.

I have more thoughts but overall it was kind of a slog to get through in the second half. It felt like a lot of the pieces were there but the game they constructed around the core was just boring.

Patchy

Banned
I picked up the game recently and I don't have that issue.

I have 4790K, GTX 980 ti and 16 GB of RAM if that helps.

I have a 3570K and 16GB RAM as well.

It always happens when the Toad zombies are on screen.

Not a big deal really.

loving this game as well, I can't play more than 45 minutes at a time because it's so tense!

Finally picked this up, and played for an hour. It's so good. The fluid movement of Mirror's Edge with the satisfying combat of Dead Island makes for an addicting gameplay blend

Finally copped, game is superb so far. Difficulty at the beginning is pretty tough, but as I am ranking up, the game is slowly becoming easier and more fun.

Molotovs are a godsend.

Dries

This game is pretty good right? I've never played the Dead Island games, so I don't know what to expect at all. I was wondering if you ever get to fight human enemies as well? And I know the game is melee-based, but will I find some awesome guns and gun combat in this game as well?

Oh, and I don't do co-op. I'm a lone wolf kind of gamer. Will it still be fun?

This game is pretty good right? I've never played the Dead Island games, so I don't know what to expect at all. I was wondering if you ever get to fight human enemies as well? And I know the game is melee-based, but will I find some awesome guns and gun combat in this game as well?

Oh, and I don't do co-op. I'm a lone wolf kind of gamer. Will it still be fun?

- Yes you do fight humans and damn is it boring/annoying with them using throwing knives and dodging your attacks

- You can find guns...but ammo is so expensive and gun fire draws attention so you wont be using it a lot honestly. Maybe you use it more later on.

-I've only done lone wolf and had fun. If you like first person combat, running, parkouring its a blast.

Re downloaded this the other night. Was stuck on the bit with the detonators and you had to plant them in appartments. Now I love it again, even more than I did when I first got it. Even bought the Season pass.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Came back to this a few days after letting it rest for a couple months. Just tried some of the Parkour Fever stuff today, and my god, it is insanely frustrating. I've got a rule not to swear on NeoGAF outside of quotes, so I can' t say my real thoughts on the matter, but whose idea was it to let randomly spawned zombies clog up the parkour routes? I know some of them are spawned deliberately, but there are definitely random ones too. Especially at friggin night. The game challenges you to complete all 10 or so at night, forcing you not only to contend with the limited light, which would be difficult enough, but being chased by a ffsdsfffsfdfdfe gazillion of those running night zombies and the bigger guys that pounce.

It's difficult enough to cope with the awkward-open-world-meets-awkward-mechanics-nonsense, but to add a completely random element to the run as well?

Not to mention that the green markers don't give any sort of indication of where the next marker is going to be, so unless you memorize the entire route, you have to check your minimap, ruining the flow of the parkour.

And the whole speed gaining thing harms your control as much as it helps your movement.

Urggghghh

I finished like 7 of them

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone tried Dying Light on Windows 10? I'm noticing very weird mouse movement, almost like mouse acceleration but I have smoothing off in-game, acceleration off in the control panel and in my mouse software and I even have the MarkC fix installed. This was not an issue during my first playthrough on Windows 7, so I suspect it has something to do with Windows 10.

-Deimos

Has anyone tried Dying Light on Windows 10? I'm noticing very weird mouse movement, almost like mouse acceleration but I have smoothing off in-game, acceleration off in the control panel and in my mouse software and I even have the MarkC fix installed. This was not an issue during my first playthrough on Windows 7, so I suspect it has something to do with Windows 10.

Could be the built-in DVR. You an disable it from the xbox app or by pressing Win + G, I think.

Bought this recently and started playing it last night - only had time to finish the prologue as my five year old daughter woke at midnight and I needed to get her back to sleep. I like it a lot so far, although it seems really difficult - I'm sure it will be one of those games which seems easier the more I play, and it's a bit annoying how like in Dead Island hitting a zombie about 30 times with a massive pipe wrench breaks it. I've never clubbed anyone around the head with a pipe wrench, but I think it would be much tougher than human skulls.

If anyone's up for some co-op, I'll be on it again tonight. Not sure whether to split my time between this and Until Dawn or finish this up first.

Teggy

Bought this recently and started playing it last night - only had time to finish the prologue as my five year old daughter woke at midnight and I needed to get her back to sleep. I like it a lot so far, although it seems really difficult - I'm sure it will be one of those games which seems easier the more I play, and it's a bit annoying how like in Dead Island hitting a zombie about 30 times with a massive pipe wrench breaks it. I've never clubbed anyone around the head with a pipe wrench, but I think it would be much tougher than human skulls.

If anyone's up for some co-op, I'll be on it again tonight. Not sure whether to split my time between this and Until Dawn or finish this up first.

Yes, as you level up you gain abilities that make the game a lot easier and more fun. This is where the game really shines - it is still plenty challenging, but you will be doing crazy parkour moves and have much better weapons and abilities to deal with the infected.

Tigress

So I know I'm late to the party but question, are main missions time critical or is it like RPGs where you can ignore the mission until you want to play it (for example I'm supposed to get an airdrop the next night. If I wait for another night will I fail the quest?)

Top Bottom