• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

LTTP with this, but the recent PSN sale pushed me over the edge.

I loved Dead Island and Dead Island riptide, but am a little bit disappointing in this, I know the focus is on parkour and running, but the combat is no where near as good as DI, also, the zombies appear to be much less detailed than DI, even though that was on last gen.

Anyway, a couple of questions if I may.

1) How does the save system work?, saves every time the saving icon comes up?, what about quitting, do quests have a checkpoint system?

2) The penalty for dying during a mission appears to be survivor points?, is there any way to get these back?, I notice the amounts are different, what determines how many you lose?, do they get taken off the pool you've accrued in that quest?, just basically how this mechanic works

I can not see how someone who loves Dead Island (which was a crappy game to begin with) hates on Dying Light's combat since it pretty much features the exact same thing, but the parkour opens it up in so many ways with plenty of skills that unlock so each combat scenario can be handled differently.

I am not going to deny your opinion and you entitled to it, but did you perhaps got hyped towards an extent that you thought it would be miles superior than Dead Island?

To answer your questions;

1) The game saves at certain checkpoints and when you sleep (PS4 Rest Mode pretty much helps with any other saving problems)

2) Dying removes some exp. point. The higher your level, the more you lose. It does not matter if you die in a quest or in free-roaming.

danowat

Banned
Thanks for the reply, I never said I hated the combat, maybe I was expecting too much, the combat just doesn't feel as visceral as DI, maybe the loss of the analog fighting system is some of this, I am only a short way into the game, so maybe some of the skills will open it up a bit more for me.

But I am enjoying my time with it so far.

Thanks for the reply, I never said I hated the combat, maybe I was expecting too much, the combat just doesn't feel as visceral as DI, maybe the loss of the analog fighting system is some of this, I am only a short way into the game, so maybe some of the skills will open it up a bit more for me.

But I am enjoying my time with it so far.

You do have the option to make melee combat harder by turning off the auto aim.

Drewsky

I'm on the mission where you're trying to get a bolter sample and I'm noticing a lot more virals (the fast 28 days later ones right?). I'll just being moving across the map and five or six will come out of nowhere and chase me for ages. Is that normal? I had never seen that many at once and it's happening like every 10 minutes or so now.

JoeNut

ive just got to
the second area after a trip through the sewers
and i must say that the game is SO MUCH EASIER if you get the camouflage skill with the attack unnoticed ability. I managed to get through the whole thing without being attacked once.
but the bit where Rais' men are waiting for you was hard as hell and i died like 3 times before i worked out where to go under the water

Still loving the game, lots of gunplay now and noticeably less use of melee weapons

MMaRsu

Banned
Just picked this game up this week for 37 euro's! Nice deal if I say so myself, because I am enjoying the hell outta this game!! So cool to finally have a nice open world to do parkour in because it really works well. The parts at night are also very tense!

Playing coop with Raishin is sooo much fun too :D

So cool to finally have a nice open world to do parkour in because it really works well.
Its crazy how well it works. Makes some sense too.

Its just fun as hell to run, jump and climb all over that busted open world, trying to keep your momentum going. Getting better at it also means you get more accomplished during those precious sunlight hours.

Here is a better list of the free docket codes.

RAZER
DE8746TYSU8
DF6KUB798UN
DFBUIK7KLIU
8NF5DKTBV3
GRE31SVNBOHFUDQH
N0A8DF09TB
R9ADFNHSGX
ALIENWARE
NQ4THDFBUH

By the way, why isn't this thread in community?

Wow cool thanks for the codes, I didnt even know there was this feature

Is this like borderlands 2 where you get better loot based on your current level when unlocking?

edit - ah nm, says on their FAQ its levelled based on when you ask the quarter master for the weapon

That Mount Everest trophy is definitely a bitch. So close to a platinum but might give up on it because of that.

Does your climb height statistics carry over to another play through?

It does. The climb height (among other trophy related stats, like side quest completion) is tracked on your profile save, not the individual game slot save. I got this trophy today after starting a new hard mode play through, finishing off the last 1000 feet or so I needed.

So is this game still worth getting for PS4? Community looks like it's dying judging by the amount of posts.

I love this game. It made Dead Island better in a lot of aspects. For me this is purely a single player experience, so i say.....go for it. It is a great open world / sandbox zombie survival game. With the latest hard mode it is actually challenging.

If you are looking for a coop / pvp experience, you are right, the community is slowly moving on to greener pastures.

haikira

Can you have two separate save file runs? I'm about twelve hours in, but I've got a friend who's wanting to buy it too, and I'd like to make a new file to play with him, and keep it separate to my main file. Run through both at the same time really.

Probably worth mentioning, I'm on the PC.

Symphonia

Banned
I've been playing co-op on this with Mmarsu and Raishin. Man, it's hella fun slashing up zombies with yer buddies. The demolishers, though, what a bitch they are.

Anung

Un Rama
Finally got the side quests trophy to pop. Had to uninstall the game and re-install it and stick the save data on the cloud. Now just the the co-op trophies to get which seem impossible. Every game I join consists of people just standing still in the pause menu.

Stanng243

Finally got the side quests trophy to pop. Had to uninstall the game and re-install it and stick the save data on the cloud. Now just the the co-op trophies to get which seem impossible. Every game I join consists of people just standing still in the pause menu.

I'm desperate enough to try that myself. I also need the co-op trophies. I'm available evenings and Weekend EST on the PS4.

codhand

been playing this game quite a bit in coop. i find it incredibly frustrating but i keep coming back. i beat both Dead Islands, and this is on par with those.

game does not let me become the zombie killing machine, i so desperately desire. instead i move as if underwater at all times, flail a hammer in futility and fall to my death having overshot the roof of a car below ad infinitum.

says im about 70% through the main story.

really curious to see what happens to Dead Island 2 proper, now that the bar for traversal in a zombie game has been raised.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My main complaint with the game after I've had some weeks to think about it, is that I don't find the virals or night gameplay very fun.

I like the idea of night being dangerous and very dark, but the actual gameplay loop at night just isn't interesting or entertaining. It was fun and exciting basically only the first time.

Though I can't really fault the devs too much, since I don't really think there's any obvious alternative. I mean, I understand why they did it.

I think they focused too much on the free running and escape, when I would've rather there been some other mechanic at play. Maybe more emphasis on swarming enemies and mobs. Idk. When it's all said and done, it was an interesting game, that I will never play again.

jond76

Banned
My main complaint with the game after I've had some weeks to think about it, is that I don't find the virals or night gameplay very fun.

I like the idea of night being dangerous and very dark, but the actual gameplay loop at night just isn't interesting or entertaining. It was fun and exciting basically only the first time.

Though I can't really fault the devs too much, since I don't really think there's any obvious alternative. I mean, I understand why they did it.

I think they focused too much on the free running and escape, when I would've rather there been some other mechanic at play. Maybe more emphasis on swarming enemies and mobs. Idk. When it's all said and done, it was an interesting game, that I will never play again.

Well, they do give you the option to "sleep" through the night, so it wasn't forced.

Evolved1

Well, they do give you the option to "sleep" through the night, so it wasn't forced.

Yeah... I would usually just do most of my scavenging at night. You go into a building and poke around for stuff, and the enemies aren't really an issue.

The main issue, and basically the one thing that ruined my hardcore playthrough, is that daytime lasts like 10 mins or some ridiculous shit. I personally quite like the daytime gameplay and fighting zombies (bare hands usually lol) but the game forces night on you straightaway. And I'm not just trying to rush through missions/objectives... I'm trying to enjoy the game. But it seems like, as soon as you start to dick around a little bit, oh it's nighttime again.

That is to make it more challenging and "urgent" I guess when you're doing quests, and to force more quests to cross over into night gameplay... but it's not fun for people on a new game who aren't necessarily racing through the game.

Idk like I said... cool game but some of the choices didn't work for me, as far as the game having legs. I played it, completed it, got annoyed by hardcore mode (a lot of HC mode was really fun and exactly what I wanted, but skewing the daytime to a small fraction of the experience wasn't what I signed up for) and so that was that. DLC is irrelevant to me, since I've moved on now. I think they really overestimated the enjoyment of night gameplay to skew hardcore mode in favor of it. Bad call imo.

Has anyone found the new gold weapons the last patch supposedly introduced? After the recent patch, I decided to try and get all the previously broken trophies to finish out the platinum by starting a new game on hard. Ended up enjoying it enough to 100% it again, and never saw a single gold weapon, despite hitting the level cap. Even the orange weapons seemed rarer than they were for my first playthrough at launch.

Can you have two separate save file runs? I'm about twelve hours in, but I've got a friend who's wanting to buy it too, and I'd like to make a new file to play with him, and keep it separate to my main file. Run through both at the same time really.

Probably worth mentioning, I'm on the PC.
If the save system is the same as on the PS4, you should be able to just start a fresh playthrough in one of the other save slots. That worked to separate my original playthrough and my hard playthrough.

I like the idea of night being dangerous and very dark, but the actual gameplay loop at night just isn't interesting or entertaining.

I agree. I started this a couple weeks ago and I don't enjoy nighttime gameplay, and it comes around again so fast. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I struggle with it.

Just about at the point where I only do it when it's forced to complete a story mission.

MMaRsu

Banned
been playing this game quite a bit in coop. i find it incredibly frustrating but i keep coming back. i beat both Dead Islands, and this is on par with those.

game does not let me become the zombie killing machine, i so desperately desire. instead i move as if underwater at all times, flail a hammer in futility and fall to my death having overshot the roof of a car below ad infinitum.

really curious to see what happens to Dead Island 2 proper, now that the bar for traversal in a zombie game has been raised.

Did you not level up agility and survivor rank? I can pretty much one hit kill most zombies, and outrun many if the need arises. I felt like a truly agile zombie slayer.

Press circle just before you land to do a roll to negate any landing dmg. Donyou have the hookblade yet? Did you only do the main mission?

Im curious how someone gets to 70% but still feels underpowered or not agile.

I love night as you lvl up quickly. Get good at outrunning zombies I say

Did you not level up agility and survivor rank? I can pretty much one hit kill most zombies, and outrun many if the need arises. I felt like a truly agile zombie slayer.

Press circle just before you land to do a roll to negate any landing dmg. Donyou have the hookblade yet? Did you only do the main mission?

Im curious how someone gets to 70% but still feels underpowered or not agile.

I love night as you lvl up quickly. Get good at outrunning zombies I say

I was less than half way through the game I felt way overpowered, I had dope weapons, a lot of the abilities and a bunch of cash.

jesu

CEvIgucUsAAFgAc.jpg

I didn't get the free season pass, but I'll probably buy that.
It's the arena mode I think.

http://www.trueachievements.com/n20108/dying-light-dlc-incoming.htm

SomTervo

Swap to blades

Instant decapitations everywhere, you feel like a badass, game becomes 100x easier

Also do lots of side quests - many of them are better than the main story missions

goonergaz

Another complaint against night-time here - I'd love to do some night-time travelling but it's like impossible. TBH I found it a little jarring going from FC4 (stealth) to this where Zombies seem to smell your location at times. If you could avoid the normal zombies at night I think it would make it easier to avoid the other ones...I managed to navigate quite a chunk of map only for a normal zombie to 'find' me and then that atrracted the other ones.

What I have done is found that uber sword (the one left for devs to cheat) - I haven't used it yet, but I might use it to 'balance' night play.

Do love this tho, great game.

Anung

Un Rama
Seriously this 5 quests with 3 other people trophy is impossible. Got 3 done before someone bailed out D: I've read that if I complete 5 quests and wait for other players to join before handing them in it counts but nobody joins.

Anyone up for doing this?

Seriously this 5 quests with 3 other people trophy is impossible. Got 3 done before someone bailed out D: I've read that if I complete 5 quests and wait for other players to join before handing them in it counts but nobody joins.

Anyone up for doing this?

yeah the way that trophy is set up is ridiculous.

mp trophies suck. when will devs learn nobody likes them.

Evolved1

4 out of 5 done then one guy left...

frustrated.gif

God damn it.

You have to bank them (complete the objectives but don't turn them in)... and then just turn them all in at once, together. Less chance of someone leaving that way.

This is what I was told to do anyway.

Anung

Un Rama
You have to bank them (complete the objectives but don't turn them in)... and then just turn them all in at once, together. Less chance of someone leaving that way.

This is what I was told to do anyway.

I tried that :( I completed the easy Togyar quests but even though my game is open nobody ever joins. So its basically just hoping I get into a game with people doing quests.

Evolved1

I tried that :( I completed the easy Togyar quests but even though my game is open nobody ever joins. So its basically just hoping I get into a game with people doing quests.

I would help you, since I need that one too basically to platinum... but I deleted the game. Sorry.

MMaRsu

Banned

Add me on PSN we can do it with Raishin and Ant ( both gaffers )

Megatron

Another complaint against night-time here - I'd love to do some night-time travelling but it's like impossible. TBH I found it a little jarring going from FC4 (stealth) to this where Zombies seem to smell your location at times. If you could avoid the normal zombies at night I think it would make it easier to avoid the other ones...I managed to navigate quite a chunk of map only for a normal zombie to 'find' me and then that atrracted the other ones.

What I have done is found that uber sword (the one left for devs to cheat) - I haven't used it yet, but I might use it to 'balance' night play.

Do love this tho, great game.

What level are you at? Once you get the camouflage trait that becomes much easier. Better still when you get the ability to attack while camouflaged. You can walk around at night completely undetected snapping necks (when you unlock that skill) and racking up tons of experience. Even those fuckers that run around and mess you up dont notice you when your camo'd. You can walk right up to them.

New page edit. Can this get moved to community?

Top Bottom